Page 147 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 3212
  1. #2921
    Network Hub Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    172
    I've watched 3 episodes of The Leftovers, and I kind of feel like I'm done with it. The show seems to be meandering in a way that leaves me frustrated rather than interested. I'm a huge fan of the premise, and the first episode really had my interest.. but there is a fine line between a show being a mystery and having no clue what's going on because it only asks questions, and gives no answers. It only serves to make me care less about each character. Even those things that SHOULD be readily apparent (What's up with the hugs? What are the GR about? Do they have a long term goal?) are not being shown to viewers. Things that seem to make sense to the characters on the show, but are unknown to us not because of good writing, but purely by withholding information. Perhaps that just means the show isn't for me, but I can only handle so much foreplay in a TV show.

  2. #2922
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I've watched 3 episodes of The Leftovers, and I kind of feel like I'm done with it. The show seems to be meandering in a way that leaves me frustrated rather than interested. I'm a huge fan of the premise, and the first episode really had my interest.. but there is a fine line between a show being a mystery and having no clue what's going on because it only asks questions, and gives no answers. It only serves to make me care less about each character. Even those things that SHOULD be readily apparent (What's up with the hugs? What are the GR about? Do they have a long term goal?) are not being shown to viewers. Things that seem to make sense to the characters on the show, but are unknown to us not because of good writing, but purely by withholding information. Perhaps that just means the show isn't for me, but I can only handle so much foreplay in a TV show.
    Come on, Twin Peaks and The X-Files aren't THAT bad.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  3. #2923
    Network Hub Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    172
    No.. no.. this was 100% directed at The Leftovers on HBO.

  4. #2924
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    No.. no.. this was 100% directed at The Leftovers on HBO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    it only asks questions, and gives no answers. It only serves to make me care less about each character. Even those things that SHOULD be readily apparent are not being shown to viewers. Things that seem to make sense to the characters on the show, but are unknown to us not because of good writing, but purely by withholding information. Perhaps that just means the show isn't for me, but I can only handle so much foreplay in a TV show.
    Seems like an apt description to me...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  5. #2925
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,506
    Let's have a talk, eh?

    I'm some 14 episodes into season 2 of Twin Peaks and truly, the fun just doesn't stop. In the latest episode: murder, most foul! Civil War! Audrey asserting dominance because she's god damn Audrey. Cooper has a salacious affair! And much more! (Since watching 30 Rock, I find it impossible to think of Leo without wanting to say Leo Spa-ch-men).

    I think I've gotten over the hump that is season 2 of Twin Peaks and am just in the mind-set of "You know what? Fuck it! Let's just do this. I want to see how bat-shit insane this gets. I want to see what other ridiculous thread is pulled from thin air. Show me the gold!" I simultaneously don't care and do. I am charmed by the show's brazen disregard for any semblance of logic and consistency. It is so far off the deep end that why not?? Who cares if there's a meandering plot and almost everyone in the show is having an affair with everyone else now? Who cares if all of the men in a room are mesmerised by one woman in a matter befitting a comedy written by 16 year old boys to recapture their most boring dreams? It's not comedy, it's stupid! But that's okay because everything is stupid now too!

    Although for what it's worth, I'm enjoying the Civil War stuff. It's the kind of ridiculous that actually feels worked-in in a reasonable manner rather than James being a stupid character (although the call-back to that nauseating song was pretty smart and that short sequence of him clearly having a break-down was well done). AHHHHHHHHHHH! This show is so, so dumb. And the best part is I can wrap up all the critique I have for season 2 by tying in the fact that the soap that showed up in season 1 is no longer shown. It was a grounding mechanism, dammit! There no longer is one, so the whole show is just drifting away on a cloud made out of "Oooh, boy! Let's come up with something WACKY! Duh-doy!"

    Also, why don't the kids ever go to bloody school?!

    Talking about school, I'm five episodes through Freaks and Geeks and it may be one of my favourite shows because it does pretty much everything it wants to do excellently.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  6. #2926
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,244
    Penny Dreadful,your opinions on the show from you guys ?


    In my opinion only lacking thing is the script,because other stuff is pretty much great. From gothic settings,to good actor perfomance and costumes,make up and soundtrack,everything is top notch.. But there's Frankenstein part in series,it would be better without it because its unnecessary and uninteresting.

    Otherwise there's going to be season 2,and the story with vampire will continue,there is going to be Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

  7. #2927
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Yepp, I like it. Eva Green kills it in some scenes. Dalton is a pretty menacing "good" guy. Dialogue can be pretty stilted, but I gather that's deliberate. Didn't care about the Frankenstein subplot either.

  8. #2928
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Let's have a talk, eh?

    I'm some 14 episodes into season 2 of Twin Peaks and truly, the fun just doesn't stop. In the latest episode: murder, most foul! Civil War! Audrey asserting dominance because she's god damn Audrey. Cooper has a salacious affair! And much more! (Since watching 30 Rock, I find it impossible to think of Leo without wanting to say Leo Spa-ch-men).

    I think I've gotten over the hump that is season 2 of Twin Peaks and am just in the mind-set of "You know what? Fuck it! Let's just do this. I want to see how bat-shit insane this gets. I want to see what other ridiculous thread is pulled from thin air. Show me the gold!" I simultaneously don't care and do. I am charmed by the show's brazen disregard for any semblance of logic and consistency. It is so far off the deep end that why not?? Who cares if there's a meandering plot and almost everyone in the show is having an affair with everyone else now? Who cares if all of the men in a room are mesmerised by one woman in a matter befitting a comedy written by 16 year old boys to recapture their most boring dreams? It's not comedy, it's stupid! But that's okay because everything is stupid now too!

    Although for what it's worth, I'm enjoying the Civil War stuff. It's the kind of ridiculous that actually feels worked-in in a reasonable manner rather than James being a stupid character (although the call-back to that nauseating song was pretty smart and that short sequence of him clearly having a break-down was well done). AHHHHHHHHHHH! This show is so, so dumb. And the best part is I can wrap up all the critique I have for season 2 by tying in the fact that the soap that showed up in season 1 is no longer shown. It was a grounding mechanism, dammit! There no longer is one, so the whole show is just drifting away on a cloud made out of "Oooh, boy! Let's come up with something WACKY! Duh-doy!"

    Also, why don't the kids ever go to bloody school?!

    Talking about school, I'm five episodes through Freaks and Geeks and it may be one of my favourite shows because it does pretty much everything it wants to do excellently.
    God dammit, STOP TALKING ABOUT AUDREY! Enough!
    I already watched that crappy CSI episode, what's next?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  9. #2929
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,506
    If I stop talking about Audrey, there's only about two other characters I could talk about at length because they have actual characterisation!

    I watched the next episode earlier. I'm a bit disappointed that the Civil War plot came to an end, but hey ho. Also some other stuff happened, probably. I dunno.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  10. #2930
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    If I stop talking about Audrey, there's only about two other characters I could talk about at length because they have actual characterisation!

    I watched the next episode earlier. I'm a bit disappointed that the Civil War plot came to an end, but hey ho. Also some other stuff happened, probably. I dunno.
    But then I get withdrawal syndrome! Won't anyone think of the fans?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  11. #2931
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,506
    It's funny you mention syndrome because I certainly feel like I've got one regarding the show at the moment...
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  12. #2932
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,427
    FINE! I'll watch Dream Warrior!

    Just remember, everytime someone mentions Audrey, I need to watch something with Sherilyn Fenn on it.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  13. #2933
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Coast US
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I'm some 14 episodes into season 2 of Twin Peaks and truly, the fun just doesn't stop.
    I'm not sure if you're liking it or not-- and honestly I'm not sure if I did or not, or even if it has to be one or the other.

    But stick with it, because the only thing sadder than the person that just watched Twin Peaks' final episode is the person that never got around to watching it.

  14. #2934
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm not sure if you're liking it or not-- and honestly I'm not sure if I did or not, or even if it has to be one or the other.

    But stick with it, because the only thing sadder than the person that just watched Twin Peaks' final episode is the person that never got around to watching it.
    And both those people are REALLY COOL compared to people who watches Fire Walk with Me.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  15. #2935
    Network Hub Rath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    428
    Fucking hell, watching Drop The Dead Donkey now is depressing. Not intentionally so, it's still damn funny, but you immediately become aware that absolutely jack shit has changed in the world in 24 years.

    Honestly, the intro voiceover for any given episode of the first series could easily say "This episode first aired in 1990, in a week when Israel and Palestine were kicking the fuck out of each other, Britain was suffering under a Tory government with a hated prime minister whose taxes were tearing ordinary people to shreds, anyone in the media trying to put out balanced coverage could expect accusations of bias from all sides, everyone hates Europe, and yuppie managers sounded like cunts" and it wouldn't seem out of place, right now, today. There's even a reference at one point to ugly rumours about Jimmy Saville.
    Last edited by Rath; 28-07-2014 at 12:29 AM.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

  16. #2936
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Coast US
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    And both those people are REALLY COOL compared to people who watches Fire Walk with Me.
    I love this song.

  17. #2937
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't say nothing bad about Badalamenti. Still not worth it to replace Husky Whisper for it.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  18. #2938
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Coast US
    Posts
    230
    That casting was bad.

    But a lot of great scenes too. And throughout it an atmosphere of melancholy or outright horror that really threw the television series into stark relief, contextualized it, demonstrated what Cooper was up against.

  19. #2939
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    12
    The strain and the leftovers

  20. #2940
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,017
    Oooh. Freaks and Geeks sounds interesting. I'll check that out.

    Which brings up an interesting point, does anyone else like watching cancelled TV shows?
    Since I have so much less free time these days (kids, work, etc..) I find myself reluctant to start on TV shows that are either Several Seasons in and Ongoing, or which have about 8 seasons. Because I know that if I get into it it's going to take forever to get through. (Hence, I have The Wire and Breaking Bad on DVD, but haven't started on BB or The Wire S2)

    But if I know the series was cancelled after 1-2 seasons, then I know I can get through it in a reasonable time. So I'm much more likely to start. Though it does mean I'm more likely to get that disappointed feeling at the end. (Eg: Firefly, Veronica Mars, etc..)

    It might be influenced by living in a non-English speaking country, and therefore not watching most tv shows as they air. (eg: drip fed once a week at a regular time). Instead I'm usually watching on DVD/OnDemand and that means that if I get into a show I tend to watch it every night, and also means that a lot of shows that I previously missed are still on the table.

    I read an article this morning about how the UK government's recommendations to do 30 mins of exercise 3 times a week actually have the effect of putting people off exercising, because they think they can't achieve it, so they do none. Whereas if people are told that even a few minutes of exercise is beneficial, they're more likely to attempt it. I feel like that for TV shows (and games) these days.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •