Page 147 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 3212
    I've watched 3 episodes of The Leftovers, and I kind of feel like I'm done with it. The show seems to be meandering in a way that leaves me frustrated rather than interested. I'm a huge fan of the premise, and the first episode really had my interest.. but there is a fine line between a show being a mystery and having no clue what's going on because it only asks questions, and gives no answers. It only serves to make me care less about each character. Even those things that SHOULD be readily apparent (What's up with the hugs? What are the GR about? Do they have a long term goal?) are not being shown to viewers. Things that seem to make sense to the characters on the show, but are unknown to us not because of good writing, but purely by withholding information. Perhaps that just means the show isn't for me, but I can only handle so much foreplay in a TV show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I've watched 3 episodes of The Leftovers, and I kind of feel like I'm done with it. The show seems to be meandering in a way that leaves me frustrated rather than interested. I'm a huge fan of the premise, and the first episode really had my interest.. but there is a fine line between a show being a mystery and having no clue what's going on because it only asks questions, and gives no answers. It only serves to make me care less about each character. Even those things that SHOULD be readily apparent (What's up with the hugs? What are the GR about? Do they have a long term goal?) are not being shown to viewers. Things that seem to make sense to the characters on the show, but are unknown to us not because of good writing, but purely by withholding information. Perhaps that just means the show isn't for me, but I can only handle so much foreplay in a TV show.
    Come on, Twin Peaks and The X-Files aren't THAT bad.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

No.. no.. this was 100% directed at The Leftovers on HBO.

No.. no.. this was 100% directed at The Leftovers on HBO.
    it only asks questions, and gives no answers. It only serves to make me care less about each character. Even those things that SHOULD be readily apparent are not being shown to viewers. Things that seem to make sense to the characters on the show, but are unknown to us not because of good writing, but purely by withholding information. Perhaps that just means the show isn't for me, but I can only handle so much foreplay in a TV show.
    Seems like an apt description to me...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Let's have a talk, eh?

I'm some 14 episodes into season 2 of Twin Peaks and truly, the fun just doesn't stop. In the latest episode: murder, most foul! Civil War! Audrey asserting dominance because she's god damn Audrey. Cooper has a salacious affair! And much more! (Since watching 30 Rock, I find it impossible to think of Leo without wanting to say Leo Spa-ch-men).

I think I've gotten over the hump that is season 2 of Twin Peaks and am just in the mind-set of "You know what? Fuck it! Let's just do this. I want to see how bat-shit insane this gets. I want to see what other ridiculous thread is pulled from thin air. Show me the gold!" I simultaneously don't care and do. I am charmed by the show's brazen disregard for any semblance of logic and consistency. It is so far off the deep end that why not?? Who cares if there's a meandering plot and almost everyone in the show is having an affair with everyone else now? Who cares if all of the men in a room are mesmerised by one woman in a matter befitting a comedy written by 16 year old boys to recapture their most boring dreams? It's not comedy, it's stupid! But that's okay because everything is stupid now too!

Although for what it's worth, I'm enjoying the Civil War stuff. It's the kind of ridiculous that actually feels worked-in in a reasonable manner rather than James being a stupid character (although the call-back to that nauseating song was pretty smart and that short sequence of him clearly having a break-down was well done). AHHHHHHHHHHH! This show is so, so dumb. And the best part is I can wrap up all the critique I have for season 2 by tying in the fact that the soap that showed up in season 1 is no longer shown. It was a grounding mechanism, dammit! There no longer is one, so the whole show is just drifting away on a cloud made out of "Oooh, boy! Let's come up with something WACKY! Duh-doy!"

Also, why don't the kids ever go to bloody school?!

Talking about school, I'm five episodes through Freaks and Geeks and it may be one of my favourite shows because it does pretty much everything it wants to do excellently.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Penny Dreadful,your opinions on the show from you guys ?

In my opinion only lacking thing is the script,because other stuff is pretty much great. From gothic settings,to good actor perfomance and costumes,make up and soundtrack,everything is top notch.. But there's Frankenstein part in series,it would be better without it because its unnecessary and uninteresting.

Otherwise there's going to be season 2,and the story with vampire will continue,there is going to be Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Yepp, I like it. Eva Green kills it in some scenes. Dalton is a pretty menacing "good" guy. Dialogue can be pretty stilted, but I gather that's deliberate. Didn't care about the Frankenstein subplot either.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Let's have a talk, eh?

I'm some 14 episodes into season 2 of Twin Peaks and truly, the fun just doesn't stop. In the latest episode: murder, most foul! Civil War! Audrey asserting dominance because she's god damn Audrey. Cooper has a salacious affair! And much more! (Since watching 30 Rock, I find it impossible to think of Leo without wanting to say Leo Spa-ch-men).

I think I've gotten over the hump that is season 2 of Twin Peaks and am just in the mind-set of "You know what? Fuck it! Let's just do this. I want to see how bat-shit insane this gets. I want to see what other ridiculous thread is pulled from thin air. Show me the gold!" I simultaneously don't care and do. I am charmed by the show's brazen disregard for any semblance of logic and consistency. It is so far off the deep end that why not?? Who cares if there's a meandering plot and almost everyone in the show is having an affair with everyone else now? Who cares if all of the men in a room are mesmerised by one woman in a matter befitting a comedy written by 16 year old boys to recapture their most boring dreams? It's not comedy, it's stupid! But that's okay because everything is stupid now too!

Although for what it's worth, I'm enjoying the Civil War stuff. It's the kind of ridiculous that actually feels worked-in in a reasonable manner rather than James being a stupid character (although the call-back to that nauseating song was pretty smart and that short sequence of him clearly having a break-down was well done). AHHHHHHHHHHH! This show is so, so dumb. And the best part is I can wrap up all the critique I have for season 2 by tying in the fact that the soap that showed up in season 1 is no longer shown. It was a grounding mechanism, dammit! There no longer is one, so the whole show is just drifting away on a cloud made out of "Oooh, boy! Let's come up with something WACKY! Duh-doy!"

Also, why don't the kids ever go to bloody school?!

Talking about school, I'm five episodes through Freaks and Geeks and it may be one of my favourite shows because it does pretty much everything it wants to do excellently.
    God dammit, STOP TALKING ABOUT AUDREY! Enough!
    I already watched that crappy CSI episode, what's next?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If I stop talking about Audrey, there's only about two other characters I could talk about at length because they have actual characterisation!

I watched the next episode earlier. I'm a bit disappointed that the Civil War plot came to an end, but hey ho. Also some other stuff happened, probably. I dunno.