Page 151 of 159 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3162
    Just started the fourth season of Boardwalk Empire. It goes very well with a good Scotch/Whisky (that's a compliment).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    New WHO started already? Ooops! To the iplayer!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    New episode of Doctor Who on tonight for us Brits. The underlying theme was interesting, with Clara standing in for the audience on the difficulty of accepting a new doctor, while the doctor faces an opponent who’s changed faces so many times they no longer have anything of themselves left. Plenty of parallels to go around!
    It was actually kind of a good episode. I find myself teetering on a knife edge as to whether I'm sticking with the show or not, because it seems to be on a steady slope down. I think they need a new writer. I don't think it's the sort of show that can stick with the same writer for as long as it's doing, and that like the actor, occasionally they need to regenerate, otherwise you just get the same ideas and scripts going round and again, each time less well executed than the last.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The episode didn’t grab me at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Have to agree, the changing actors and writers are a strength of the show and a big part of the reason why Who has endured for so long. I was surprised to learn that first episode was written by Moffat though. There are no moments of dramatic posturing where the Doctor throws out a big speech and acts like a total badass. The mask has been dropped so to speak, which is another theme throughout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    It was recycling a lot of his ideas I mean he even puts a lampshade on how he is. Im kind of similiar getting a bit bored of Moffats tics and want someone else to take over. But it was a good episode surprised how cold they made the Doctor to be honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Just saw the Clockwork Nebari episode of Farscape and will be manually blinking for a week.
    OH GOD. NO. It's wrong! Make it stop! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *runs off weeping*

It's interesting to think what would've come from that plot in season 5 and beyond, considering the Nebari are very powerful. I think it was remarked that a cargo ship of theirs was the one to destroy the Zelbinion, that Peacekeeper command cruiser from season 1. Yeah. That ain't good.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I think they need a new writer. I don't think it's the sort of show that can stick with the same writer for as long as it's doing, and that like the actor, occasionally they need to regenerate, otherwise you just get the same ideas and scripts going round and again, each time less well executed than the last.
    I know you're referring to a head writer and in that sense I don't necessarily disagree, but this season does actually have quite a varied line-up of writers and production crew who weren't involved before. The overall guidance will be Moffat's, but the individual episodes may prove to be a little different.

Anyhow, just watched the episode myself and yeah, boy, I certainly have a few things to say. Whilst the opening was good showing how disorientated he was, I felt the same after watching the credits. Good god. Now, I'd already seen the fan version and thought it was interesting in concept, but flawed in execution and as a result was not fitting of it being the real deal. Lo and behold! So again, I think the concept of the opening credits is interesting, but the whole thing was far too busy. Some of the best opening credits in the show's history have been the far simpler ones. Hell, even the very original one still works to this day because of its simplicity and weirdness. This one will be out-done with technological progression. Sure, you could say well many of previous ones would be too and I'd argue that a lot of those suffer from the same problem of having poor design decisions. I'm sure this looked great 25 years ago, but even by the time of the repeats when I first started watching, it was questionable.

Still, at least 25 years ago when they messed around with the theme tune they didn't screw it up so totally like I heard just now. Plus points for trying to use weird, alien sounds, negative points for it sounding like crap. I honestly thought the previous opening credits were great, total step backwards.

As for the episode itself then, after already having been put in a bad mood, that was 45 minutes of content stretched into 80ish. Most of the feature-length episodes in the revival run I've felt haven't earned their run, the same with some of the 2-parters, whilst there's been a few solo episodes I've felt have been begging for more. I really, really enjoyed seeing the post-regeneration insanity and confusion slipping in and thought that was done well throughout, apart from the final sequence in the balloon where they went from being subtle to "LOOK, WE'RE MAKING IT CLEAR IN CASE YOU MISSED IT BEFORE THAT HE'S QUESTIONING HIMSELF!" And even that scene I'd have probably looked past that if I'd have had more Capaldi in the rest of the episode because the charm and sobering attitude he brings is unquestionably fantastic.

For the rest of the cast, Clara included, I don't know what was going on. Tone and quality was just all over the place. Several scenes just felt utterly redundant including, but not limited to, Clara and Strax's kitchen scene and Vastra and Jenny's painting/investigation scene. I'm not sure what they added other than being a bit awkward. The sequence with Vastra interrogating Clara also set a dangerous precedent with the rest of the episode, but as for the scene itself, I'm not overly sure what it accomplished other than having someone, I'm sure, make a gif of Jenny clapping excitedly for...for passing Vastra's test? For making Vastra back down? For...for what reason?

With my precedent remark, or to put it another way, I think The Bechdel Test just imploded from this episode at all. Again, it's worth thinking that that test is really more of a guide rather than something strict to follow, but just how many conversations included the word 'flirt/ing', or made reference to sex or sexuality (in a manner directed towards sex)? It's just boring hearing the same nonsense over and over again and the worst part is, they clearly did that all just to try and distance themselves from saying they'll be doing it with this new Doctor. The entire episode was a shining testament as to why "Show, don't tell" is such an important narrative drive.

I also felt like there were quite a few bizarre things that took me out of it. I tend to get more nit-picky when the quality is down, but a few things stood out to me. Guy gets whisked away screaming and no-one notices on a street full of people? I know there's a big distraction, but that seems like a bit of a stretch. How did The Doctor get on top of chair-lift for the end debate to take place? A few others too, but in writing them I feel they were ultra-nit-picky. I know these are mostly Television and Film Rules at play, but they just seemed super jarring. There were some pretty good call-backs though that weren't done in a patting-ourselves-on-the-back way and the ambiguity of The Doctor and the lead-Clockwork's discussion was done well. Peter Capaldi is obviously revelling in having the role and it absolutely comes through.

If I had to describe the episode in one word it'd be 'inconsistent'. Tone, dialogue and quality were just all over the place. It probably says a lot about me though that I found Clara being hit on head quite funny despite it being so utterly obvious. I also liked that epilogue as it made me quite curious that the 'garden' seemed similar in shape to a TARDIS control room. But I'm sure it's not The Master or something silly like that!

On the plus side, at least it wasn't as bad as Fear Her or Love and Monsters.

EDIT: Hmm. That last sentence isn't to say the episode is comparable with them and there are some good scenes, but on the whole I think it was "Okay" territory.

EDIT EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the audio mixing is still poor. You've given your actors dialogue, let me hear it!
    Last edited by The JG Man; 24-08-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What is their plan for this season of Dr Who? They seem to change the format with each season.

I tried to watch it last night, but I fell asleep 20 minutes in. (Not an indictment on the show, I was just dog-tired)

From the 1st 20 minutes (which is a terrible basis for judgement of course) my initial thoughts were that I was surprised how standard New-Who it was (Returning characters, silly plot & chases, etc..).
    I'd seen a fair bit of comment about how casting an older doctor was a chance to re-invent the show's style and go back to the more traditional style/pace. The first 20 minutes didn't seem to do that at all. I guess with the same writer, that was maybe to be expected.

The first 20 minutes just had the new doctor ranting nonsense and falling over, so I couldn't form any opinion about whether the new actor is good or not. Seemed a dumb way to introduce a new hero though.

--

I think the format will be the key thing for me. I've rather enjoyed all of New-Who, except for the 2nd half of the last season, where it totally lost me. I think that was partly down to the format they went with, and partly down to the break in the middle of the season (which is a horrendous idea and killed all the momentum) and partly down to them having to rush and cram everything in because Matt Smith was leaving.
    They slightly saved it with the ending specials, but only just.

Been enjoying Married, even though six episodes in Judy Greer has yet to scream "You're not my supervisor!"

About to start watching Bojack Horseman.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    What is their plan for this season of Dr Who?
    13 episodes, straight through. Then a Christmas special.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Been enjoying Married, even though six episodes in Judy Greer has yet to scream "You're not my supervisor!".
    'tis a great show.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I discovered Homeland. Yep, that's right, I'm gettin' with the times. (That's what the kids are calling it these days, right? Or does it mean having sex with the times, because that's not it.) Anyway, binged season one during the weekend and have now started on season two, with plans for a more reasonable pace. I really, really enjoy it so far! Really solid acting, good story and pacing and an angsty teenage daughter that I actually don't want to strangle to death. I can hardly believe it. I assume that it's going to jump the shark in some way sooner or later, but for the moment I'm really enjoying it. It's nice having a show that I keep itching to watch the next episode of right away.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Fanbouy:

WOAH!! STOP STOP STOP!!!!
    Quit after season 1! Seriously.

Season 1 of that show was absolutely awesome, but everything after that point just goes down and down and down hill.

Just imagine that Season 1 ended with a bang, the way it obviously was intended to, and that season 2 and 3 never happened.
    I hope to god they aren't going to make a season 4.
    I have never seen a show jump the shark so quickly and spectacularly as Homeland.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    @Fanbouy:

WOAH!! STOP STOP STOP!!!!
    Quit after season 1! Seriously.

Season 1 of that show was absolutely awesome, but everything after that point just goes down and down and down hill.

Just imagine that Season 1 ended with a bang, the way it obviously was intended to, and that season 2 and 3 never happened.
    I hope to god they aren't going to make a season 4.
    I have never seen a show jump the shark so quickly and spectacularly as Homeland.

But... it can't possibly be that bad? Can it? Now I'm genuinely sad and not sure whether or not to do as you say.

EDIT: Oh, and season 4 lands in October, I think.

Heroes. That was one great season of television. Just the one. Though it wasn't really the fault of the season 1 writing team, they got replaced by interfering network idiocy between seasons 1 and 2, and then that huge writers' strike happened halfway through season 2 anyway.

---

Bojack Horseman

Marathonned through all 12 episodes (Netflix, I thank you) and while it's certainly not a contender for Best Animated Show, it's got a certain charm to it. Great voice cast (Patton Oswalt might be slightly over-used), and the mixture of flat colour and watercolour in the designs is slightly jarring at first, you get used to it. Plot-wise, for the first few episodes you could almost call it a bottle show, but all of a sudden it gets increasingly serialised, with episodes following on directly from where previous ones left off.

I particularly enjoyed the episode that flashed back through the various decades of Bojacks' career with the songs on the car radio establishing the 80's and then the 90's.

"Generic 90's grunge song!
    Everyone in flannel!
    Generic 90's grunge song!
    Something from Seattle!"

If you develop a liking for the characters in the first few episodes you'll probably stick with it, but if you're not into it by around episode 4, you may as well not bother making it through to the end.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I guess you might disagree, but imho Homeland was the perfect 1 season show. The whole show seemed set up for one climax, and then became popular so they had to extend it with another season. But they didn't really have anywhere to go.
    Season 2 ended up as 24-lite and season 3 was basically them trying to dig themselves out of all the holes they'd dug for themselves.
    I kept watching because season 1 was so good, and I liked the characters, and the actors were good. But I do rather wish that I'd stopped after 1 season.
    I doubt I'll watch season 4 - although I guess you could say that the end of season 3 cleared the decks, and maybe they can kind of start fresh with season 4.

I see that the episode ratings on TV.com don't particularly drop for later seasons.. but I remember most of the comments online being pretty negative at the time it aired, and the producers even had to defend themselves when everyone claimed they were making it up as they went along.
    I mean, there were definitely a few good moments and surprises along the way, but...

Maybe someone else here will chime in with an opinion.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Rath:
    I only watched season 1 of Heroes. I liked it a lot, but I got interrupted between season 1 and 2, and by the time I was able to go back to it everyone was complaining about season 2. So I never went back.
    I can't quite imagine how they managed to mess up it up though.

Same thing happened to me between season 2 and 3 of Battlestar Galactica. Though I keep being tempted to go back to that one.

america's got talent

I right now watch Game Of Thrones, teen wolf and So You think you can dance along with anime like one piece, attack on titan, naruto etc.

@Rath:
    I only watched season 1 of Heroes. I liked it a lot, but I got interrupted between season 1 and 2, and by the time I was able to go back to it everyone was complaining about season 2. So I never went back.
    I can't quite imagine how they managed to mess up it up though.
    It was a whole combination of factors really. Where season 1 was 23 episodes, the writer's strike caused season 2 to be only 11 episodes. The episodes it did get where slower in momentum than the first season, and it didn't help that the new writing team were having the network order them to change or scrap plots during filming.

They created a new love interest for Peter in the form of an Irish woman called Caitlin, then had the two of them travel to an alternate future where he promptly abandoned her and travelled back in time on his own, and then never mentioned her again for the rest of the show. Killing characters offscreen is one thing - stranding them in a future that ceases to exist and never acknowledging it is even worse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Maybe someone else here will chime in with an opinion.
    It really should have been one and done. Seasons two and three aren't that bad, it's just that the bar was set incredibly high.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR