Page 107 of 157 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 3136
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    So far, I like Season 5 of Community a lot. The show is definitely showing its age and the concept is VERY strained at this point, but it continues to be humorous.

Tonight's episode in particular epitomizes a lot of my feelings about the season. On the one hand, there are those nice obscure "pop culture" references that are subtle enough to make me giggle when I get them but not to care if I miss one. On the other hand, they still have no idea what to do with Britta or Shirley, and the show continues to be all about Jeff, Annie, (but only to the extent of playing up the unresolved sexual tension) Abed, and occasionally Chang. The Hickey character is doing a damned good job of capturing the fun of Season 1 Pierce (before he became an obnoxiously racist and annoying villain), but Chang is still a bit too much of a caricature than a character. MUCH better than he has been since he took over Greendale in Season 3 (although, that was actually a humorous arc) though. And I guess it is hard to "put the crazy back in the bottle", as Season 1 (and 2) Chang was so great just because he was clearly batshit insane but came across as normal (by Greendale standards).

In particular, I am a big fan of the writers admitting that there actually WERE good things about The Gasleak Year, as it was seeming they were largely just saying "Never happened, ignore it, fuck that season". The return of Brie Larson as Abed's love interest, even if probably only for a single episode, was fun as that episode was actually one of the best episodes last season and was actually a good episode period.

And the twist with the Dance Theme Plot (and the rationale for the above spoiler) both handle what I think is Community at its best: An explanation that completely makes sense and is something that I can see myself, in apathetic slacker mode, employing taken just a bit too far. Zany/over the top, but with a trajectory that is actually somewhat plausible yet immensely stupid.

The use of the guest stars definitely felt like a waste though as they brought absolutely nothing to the episode (aside from Captain Mal in overalls). Also, what is the budget for this season? They've had moderate-name recurring guest stars in every episode and quite a few moderate-named actual guest stars in this one. I realize they probably have more money because Chevy Chase is gone and Donald Glover was only in the first few, but it feels like they are just burning cash and "making it rain" as it were.

And it is good to see what will hopefully be the next ongoing background plot: Troy, and LeVar Burton, have been captured by Mexican pirates. Although, how it is handled will be interesting as I already feel that writing Childish Gambino out of the series was poorly handled and felt just a little bit mean spirited (not outright, but the writers made sure to tiptoe on the line between "childish and selfish jerk who is ruining our fun" and "a friend who is moving on with his life and trying to make it on his own"), and if this really DOES stay in the background it will feel more the former than the latter.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Still need to watch Apocalypse Now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Season 3 of Farscape is definitely a darker season then the others with the set design and what the characters go through. It is a natural progression from last series but you do kind of miss the fun interactions whwn everyone is just having drama. Jool is a very annoying character with an annoying trait of screaming at everything which does grate on your nerves in the first bit of the season but thankfully they tone that down somewhat in later episodes. Was intrigued about the cloning of Cryton I thought it was a good storyline but it kind of seeked like the writers having there cake and eating it since it all leads down one path but it at least puts more drama on another character. Stark is a raving loony in this season and it is mad to watch and I got to love the partnership of Scorpious and Rigel near the end they could have a whole tv show man and it would be great. Season 4 awaits but unfortunately Netflix doesn't have peacekeeper wars which is a shame.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Season 3 of Farscape is definitely a darker season then the others with the set design and what the characters go through. It is a natural progression from last series but you do kind of miss the fun interactions whwn everyone is just having drama. Jool is a very annoying character with an annoying trait of screaming at everything which does grate on your nerves in the first bit of the season but thankfully they tone that down somewhat in later episodes. Was intrigued about the cloning of Cryton I thought it was a good storyline but it kind of seeked like the writers having there cake and eating it since it all leads down one path but it at least puts more drama on another character. Stark is a raving loony in this season and it is mad to watch and I got to love the partnership of Scorpious and Rigel near the end they could have a whole tv show man and it would be great. Season 4 awaits but unfortunately Netflix doesn't have peacekeeper wars which is a shame.
    I got the blu-rays for Christmas. Just starting on the second season and is what I remember as Farscape becoming a classic. Cryton really starts to lose his mind and they settle down the look and feel of it all much more.

The Blu-Rays don't include the Peacekeeper Wars either, apparently someone else owns the rights to that.

Makes sense if that is the case but it seems a little silly. Yeah near the middle to the end you do feel incredibly sthey for cryton he goes through a lot of emotional breaking points but I dont think they are as dtrong as season 2 just continuation of it

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Ah, the Season of Death. If season 2 is all about the Moya crew getting screwed but at least getting little victories, season 3 is all about the Moya crew getting screwed even further and only getting pyrrhic victories. The thing with Jool and Stark is that, in the case of the former, she's received help from the only people in the universe who can't eat a piece of bread without one of them choking and almost dying, so it's unsurprising that she's bothered most of the time, whilst Stark loses someone he's close to, likely the person most closest to, and considering when we meet him he's already fallen off the sane train, it's no surprise that he goes even further down the insanity spiral.

That and season 3 does have a lot of weird episodes. I still love the animated one, it's fantastic.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

The weird episodes are almost what makes it Farscape. You're stuck in a totally different galaxy surrounded by aliens? Weird shit is going to happen. Not the same 5 original Star Trek episodes remixed forever by people with stuff glued to their forehead.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    The weird episodes are almost what makes it Farscape. You're stuck in a totally different galaxy surrounded by aliens? Weird shit is going to happen. Not the same 5 original Star Trek episodes remixed forever by people with stuff glued to their forehead.
    I love Star Trek but...

:D

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I love Star Trek but...

:D
    Oh I do as well. But I can't help but feel quite a lot of early TNG, lots of Voyager and Enterprise but only some of DS9 are just rehashes of the Original Series. They are tropes that I love... but Farscape when it went near them just fucked with them for a laugh.

Case in point, the body swap episode. Did anyone learn an important life lesson about being in another person's shoes? Hell no. Was there a lot of groping and masturbation going on? Hell yes.

Yeah Season 2 was all about using very tired sci fi tropes but doing it in an entertaining and different ways using your familarity with the characters traits in interesting ways. Also everyone seems like 3 dimensional characters and not streotypes which star trek did a lot.

Yeah they all had the "logic" character.
    Data = Spock = Seven of Nine / The Doctor = T'Pau ( snicker)

Justified is everything right with television now. Bit disappointing that they killed off Tudyk's character and the Haitian guy so early, but otherwise last episode was easily one of the series' high points.

I've binged my way through Justified, starts off a bit average but really picks up well. Season 5 the best so far, so many good characters. Season 6 has been announced as the last one, so at least they have a clear end to work towards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Justified's writing and characters are a cut above really. How many shows would have a character as awesomely slimy and hilarious as Wynn Duffy as a sort of fringe figure.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    Attack on Titan is hugely overrated. I just marathoned it but didn't enjoy much. It has clumsy writing, heavy repetition, awful pacing, lazy animation, too many monologues and flashbacks and over-the-top reactions, and seriously needs better editing overall. So little of the setup is resolved that I think I will just skim plot summaries for the spoilers and skip future installments.
    Interestingly enough they actually reduced the amount of flashbacks when turning it into an anime.

Animation seems to swing from hugely impressive to lackluster. I thought they saved the best animation for when it really mattered.

Agree on the writing - the anime follows the manga far too closely at times and suffers for it, then vectors off hugely at other points. I really liked the show but it will need to improve for the inevitable second season (which could be a very long time coming)
    I'll Sproink you out m8

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    All right, let's see how much interest we gauge with this. Incoming wall'o text!

What is it?

Legend of Galactic Heroes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_...alactic_Heroes - i'll c&p the key bits.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (銀河英雄伝説 Ginga Eiyū Densetsu?), also known as Gin'eiden (銀英伝?), is a series of science fiction novels written by Yoshiki Tanaka. In humanity's distant future, two interstellar states - the monarchic Galactic Empire and the democratic Free Planets Alliance - are embroiled in a never-ending war. The story focuses on the exploits of rivals Reinhard von Müsel and Yang Wen Li as they rise to power and fame in the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance.

An anime adaptation of the novels by Artland and Magic Bus ran from 1988 to 2000. There is also a manga based on the novels, with art by Katsumi Michihara. In addition, there are several video game adaptations with the most recent release in 2008 being a real-time strategy game. None of this content has been officially released in the English language. However, fan translations of the anime to English are available.

Legend of Galactic Heroes (Japanese: 銀河英雄伝説, Ginga Eiyū Densetsu), sometimes referred to as 'Heldensagen von Kosmosinsel' (in incorrect German, translating to "heroic tales of cosmic islands"), is a series of ten science-fiction novels written by Tanaka Yoshiki, as well as a number of other, shorter stories set in the same universe. It won the Seiun Award for "Best Novel of the Year" in 1989.

Where/how to watch it?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNyY2F1OurUbDBCtILijHYI52YAiIvSX5
    - here is the entire damn thing on youtube. Upto 720p (1080p where available). Finding it from other sources is not particularly hard either. Be assured that the fansubs are of excellent quality.

Warning: youtube playlist is chronological order (see below).

The catch: its long, very long.

• 110 episode series (Mercifully, the episodes are 25-30 minute affairs)
    • 3 movies
    • 9 gaidens - i.e. side stories, epilogues, prologues, events not covered during the movies/series, events not covered enough during the movies/series. The gaidens are mini series all of their own essentially but set within the same timeline and/or universe.

The bigger catch: the youtube link above listed everything in story chronological order. For everyone's sanity we watch this in broadcast order as the makers intended. And I have a serial distrust of watching anything chronologically if that's how it was not released. Watching it grow as the makers intended is the first and primary reason though. I can re-order the playlist above as one of my own or list the broadcast order and you're free to do it yourself.

tl;dr long, expansive, grand space war opera sci-fi anime adapted from 10 novels that is BSG + DS9 + Babylon 5 + Farscape combined at a minimum in terms of scale and reach.
    I have been planning to watch logh for ages after nothing but constant recommendations from friends and /a/, but I'm finding it hard to commit to such a long series which requires attention knowing I'll get sidetracked at some point.

I'll probably marathon the first 20 episodes or so when I have enough spare time and see where I go from there.

In the meantime I have Arrested Development and Baccano to finish
    I'll Sproink you out m8

Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    I've binged my way through Justified, starts off a bit average but really picks up well. Season 5 the best so far, so many good characters. Season 6 has been announced as the last one, so at least they have a clear end to work towards.
    Wait, Season 5 is airing? Damn I have some catching up to do. Justified is one that Netflix and UK Channel 5 (which is still not HD alas) have usually picked up quite quickly after US release, but no inkling of Season 5 here in UK yet and I don't think I can wait that long....

Wow, ep 4 of True Detective. Putting cinema action sequences to shame.
    Last edited by Dubbill; 11-02-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: er, ep 4, not 5
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSoup View Post
    I have been planning to watch logh for ages after nothing but constant recommendations from friends and /a/, but I'm finding it hard to commit to such a long series which requires attention knowing I'll get sidetracked at some point.

I'll probably marathon the first 20 episodes or so when I have enough spare time and see where I go from there.

In the meantime I have Arrested Development and Baccano to finish
    For reasons unknown to me the whole damn internet is saying to watch it in chronological order which is just silly. Just watch it in broadcast order (or order of release) for your sanity and the creators intentions.

So for you, watch "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" (Film) and then the first 20 episodes and see if you still want to keep at it. I can list the whole thing properly then if you want.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wow, ep 4 of True Detective. Putting cinema action sequences to shame.
    Yeah. It was so tense and that ~8 minutes long shot with massive shootout/police raid in some gangsta hood filmed without any cut was just beautiful. Jesus Christ, this show is just brilliant and it puts the bar so high.

BTW, I've watched new TWD episode after True Detective. Ugh. I think the writers must have some bet "who will write the best scene where characters are acting like total idiot who didn't learn ANYTHING from that zombie apocalypse" and the winner will get some nice money.