Page 108 of 126 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2519
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    Wow, ep 4 of True Detective. Putting cinema action sequences to shame.
    Yep.

I thought it was funny that in the wake of BB ending a lot of people were talking about the end of the golden age of television and then True Detective comes out of nowhere and just starts laying waste to everything. That final sequence was off the rails.

I really think that HBO are tapping into something profound with this auteur approach of having a dedicated director for an entire series. They're effectively being given the opportunity to make an 8 hour movie and even if Fukunaga doesn't come back for the second season I don't doubt that there will be plenty of Hollywood talent lining up to give it a shot.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Network Hub
    I caught the Babylon pilot on account of Danny Boyle. It was entertaining enough, but not being British I think I'm missing a lot of what (apparently) makes it such a topical show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I enjoyed Babylon, will keep watching it. It's very much a satire of the attitudes and image of British police, I don't know how much would get through to viewers from other countries.

Just started watching The Good Wife - nine episodes in. Finding it pretty good so far.
    Please feel free to visit my Deviant Art page.

Episode 5 of True Detective.....dudes are just killing it at the moment.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

JIM HENSON'S CREATURE SHOP CHALLENGE (SERIES PREMIERE)

Premieres Tuesday, March 25 at 10PM – Syfy introduces ten hopeful creature designers who have come to Los Angeles with an incredible shared dream: to land a job working in Jim Henson's Creature Shop™.

The new eight episode reality competition series provides a fascinating window into the imaginative and wildly creative environment of world-class creature design, fabrication and mechanization. The series features host Gigi Edgley (Farscape) and lead judge Brian Henson, Chairman of The Jim Henson Company, who also oversees the groundbreaking work of Jim Henson's Creature Shop™. Henson is an award-winning writer, puppeteer, director and producer whose mentor was his father, the iconic genius Jim Henson.

The competing creature designers are allowed unprecedented access to the world-renowned Creature Shop, gaining hands-on experience to learn every aspect of what it takes to become a master creature designer. Following a series of elaborate challenges, only one will be awarded a prize worth up to $100,000, including the opportunity for the job of a lifetime – a contract working at the world-renowned Jim Henson's Creature Shop™.
    They had me at Gigi Edgley. Will watch.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Twin Peaks... season 2, episode 12. The hell am I watching? Is this still the same series? The actors look the same but everything else... 10 episodes left to go. Damn it.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Twin Peaks... season 2, episode 12. The hell am I watching? Is this still the same series? The actors look the same but everything else... 10 episodes left to go. Damn it.
    Persevere!

I've been enjoying Rick and Morty, co-created by Dan Harmon. It's a basically a lunatic take on Doc Brown and Marty McFly's relationship in Back to the Future. It's funny!

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/pilot.html
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Just marathoned through Jane Campions 'Top of the Lake' starring Elizabeth Moss & Peter Mullan. Set in rural New Zealand Moss plays a Police Detective who gets co-oped by the local force to help them investigate a child's disappearance whilst on leave to visit her ailing mother. Mullan meanwhile plays the part of the no nonsense local crime lord/big man on campus who also happens to be the father of the missing child.

Beautifully shot, there's a high degree of rawness to the entire series and the monumental landscape regularly dominates scenes to the extent that it seems to trivialise the various travails of the various inhabitants at times. Not by any stretch a conventional thriller, the series does seem to amble at times and as far as protagonists go Moss is surprisingly toothless. That may perhaps be a reaction to the expectation of what a female detective should be, but it makes for frustrating viewing in terms of the investigation.

Overall the acting is decent, however its let down by some truly terrible child performances that couldn't be any more wooden if they didn't come out of Ikea flat pack. I think in large part Campion is a bit of a hands off director in terms of expecting her actors to bring themselves to the part, but unfortunately some actual direction was required with the children who clearly didn't understand what their motivations were and largely went through the motions. Also Holly Hunter failed to convince as the enigmatic spiritual leader of the informal women's commune that sets up base near the Lake at the beginning of the story. She comes across more as rambling bag lady than Lancaster Dodd, which is to their detriment.

Overall worthwhile, but its it does meander and I suspect like most one of the key revelations that emerge down the line is less of a surprise than 'finally' in terms of how overtly it is telegraphed.

Probable Replicant

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Episode 5 of True Detective.....dudes are just killing it at the moment.
    I've just started watching this as well. Basically binge watched the first 5 episodes over two days, and wow do the episodes bring it.

It does an incredibly job of purposefully telling the story, with plenty of indication that it knows exactly what it's doing. and maaan are their some brilliant lines in the show.

I.e. When the detectives ask Rust how he was so good at getting confessions from witnesses, and his response is:

Just gotta look a man in his eyes. It's all there. Everybody wears their hunger and their haunt you know? just gotta be honest about what can go on up here. The locked room.
    (the locked room being the mind).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    For fans of True Detective: The One Literary Reference You Must Know to appreciate it. It's about The King in Yellow, inspiration for no less than Lovecraft himself, among others.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I've been hearing about that book a few times recently...got to pick it up and maybe start watching True Detective.

Gotten halfway through Season 4 of Farscape and its going a bit slower this time, they have definitly brought a lot of the humour that was missing from Season 3 but I do think the storyline is a bit to sleight. I mean season 3 felt like an epic film that was barrelling along to one conclusion and until the halfway through story this season has been very traditional villian of the week storylines, don't get me wrong they are pretty entertaining but I do kind of miss the epic feel of the last season and do think they are kind of treading old ground with this storyline

That is until they get to SPOILERS Earth, I think this storyline is a jot to the arm of the season and was very intriguing, in fact I kind of wish they would have more episodes since I do think there is still dramatic things they could do but they go again. I will watch to see how it goes.

Also started watching The Good Wife and I am enjoying it, Case of the week laywer drama but its actually pretty damn entertaining and I do think Quietly revolutionary since I think its touching upon quite a few modern issues in a populist way. It also seems to have three dimensional characters, I mean there is a character the young seemingly smary one that you kind of think is going one way but you then have an episode and nope it totally goes against that and actually makes him into a human being and not a stereotype so good on the writers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    That is until they get to SPOILERS Earth, I think this storyline is a jot to the arm of the season and was very intriguing, in fact I kind of wish they would have more episodes since I do think there is still dramatic things they could do but they go again. I will watch to see how it goes.
    I don't think you'll find anyone who'll say the first half of season 4 is the show's strong point, that said, yeah, from then on it goes more insane than it ever has done before. If you thought the odds at the end of season 3 were crazy, well...