Page 109 of 169 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 3370
    Watched the first season of The Good Wife... huh, it's alright. Kind of bland and nauseatingly conservative in terms of the overarching plot, aesthetics and the particular cases. The writing is very up and down; I think it is redeemed by some of the cast's excellent performances. At some point it changes from cases spanning more than one episode to a strict one case, one episode structure, which feels formulaic and means that they spend too much time introducing the case and making it intricate and they proceed to rush the conclusion into the last 5 minutes, which isn't satisfying at all. Overall it's fairly enjoyable but not particularly impressive in any aspect.

Looking for something different, I watched Brass Eye.

Now THIS, I can get behind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaraJaymes View Post
    I just started watching Chuck from season 1 on Netflix and it's actually a lot of fun. Kinda cheesy but in a good way...but I'm a sucker for Bond-esque stuff.
    Yeah, so Chuck's greatest hook is that it takes itself as seriously as it needs to, which is to say not at all. The whole set-up is ridiculous, but because it's carried on something that doesn't pretend to be serious, it actually works. A quick ranking, but I'd say season 1 is good, season 2 is legitimately fantastic, the first half of season 3 is just pants, the second half redeems it somewhat, season 4 is season 1 quality (but has two great recurring guest stars, one in particular) and I can't tell you on season 5, I've yet to watch it.

When people talk about how good the show is, they're talking specifically about season 2. I don't know how much you know, but the show was essentially cancelled at that mark, but brought back continually through massive fan actions. It might explain why the beginning of season 3 was so rocky (I don't think it was, but I'm happy to live in denial) and it was never really secure from then until the final word. But season 2 offers so much and ultimately I have fond memories of that show, I really much finish it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    Looking for something different, I watched Brass Eye.

Now THIS, I can get behind.
    So good. That paedophile episode in particular just has so many great moments. The school sketch is remarkable. If you haven't already, I recommend The Day Today, a combination work between Chris Morris and Armando Iannucci. And once you're done with these, watch Nathan Barely, an eerily prophetic show written again by Morris and Charlie Brooker.

Anyhow, I've gone and caught up with New Girl after being on a bit of a draught of TV watching (I've otherwise been keeping up with Castle, a smattering of the latest series of Outnumbered, both of which have been thoroughly enjoyable) but neglected everything else; no Brooklyn Nine-Nine or Agents of SHIELD, the latter I'm okay with, the former I'm thinking I might get back into. Anyhow, New Girl. So three episodes knocked off, the first was with Prince and wasn't as bad as it had every right to be. In fact, it was actually pretty good. The entire episode made me hate the fact that Zooey Deschanel is as good looking as she is. It's distracting. Brr. But it was funny and had a good pace and Prince was pretty good in it.

Then there was the one with the exes which was also pretty good. Some funny comedic beats and good one-liners; it's amazing how little screen-time Winston has and yet how much is achieved with it. "I'm Frank Krabopolis!" "I also want sex." Then there was the one with Jess' sister, which had the difficult task of introducing us to a character we've never heard of before, but at least did it in an understandable and reasonable way, as well as that sister being played by Linda Cardellini meaning there was an immediate charm to the character. Which makes me think I should probably watch Freaks and Geeks at some point because I've heard a lot about it. Anyhow, it was a solid episode and I look forward to seeing how the Day sisters mix it up.

So yes, TV. It's still a-okay!

Help me. I wanted to watch New Girl for a few days but I've spent the last 9 days watching that damn Pokémon stream.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Obscure Node
    Ok I have a real problem with tv series. So far my favourite are:

Breaking Bad: probably you have heard this too many times, it's the best tv show ever

Dexter: binge-watched it, this may be an unpopular opinion but I even liked the finale

HIMYM: always funny, last season has been a little disappointing

The Walking Dead: see above, the first season was awesome. Btw I HATE CARL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Finished Strike Back: Project Dawn.
    Can someone explain how a TV show with 300k viewers per episode has better and more action than most Hollywood movies?
    I planned to finish the first season of Hannibal but now I'm going to watch the next seasons of Strike Back...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Yeah, so Chuck's greatest hook is that it takes itself as seriously as it needs to, which is to say not at all. The whole set-up is ridiculous, but because it's carried on something that doesn't pretend to be serious, it actually works. A quick ranking, but I'd say season 1 is good, season 2 is legitimately fantastic, the first half of season 3 is just pants, the second half redeems it somewhat, season 4 is season 1 quality (but has two great recurring guest stars, one in particular) and I can't tell you on season 5, I've yet to watch it.
    Yeah, season 2 is well written and hilarious. I think the show has great difficulty justifying the limited sets in season 4 onwards, and it gets really bad in season 5 when the action is at the Bymore for the one hundred thousandth time. Near the end of season 3, there's a long term mission in Rome that would seem like the natural conclusion to the show because the budget costs would be enormous.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 23-02-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Had I have known that season 3 was going to follow season 2 (you know what I mean...) I would not have asked for the show back. As it was then, it was two seasons of solid TV, one of which was fantastic stuff, and it ended on a perfect note that whilst it would've been a massive tease, would've also been a pleasing way for it to end. I do want to watch s5 because I've come this far and I have heard a bit about it (including its ending), but I'm in no rush to unfortunately. If you just take the best of the show, you probably have two solid seasons (calling one season a full run and not the truncated 11 or 13 episodes).

What I'm saying is, Chuck needed to be made in Britain.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Finished the original Strike Back series and watched the first four episodes of the Cinemax sequel.
    It keeps the original's two episodes per plot + overarching conspiracy gimmick. I watch two episodes every night so it's like a full-length feature.
    The Cinemax version is a lot more dudebro but it's damn fine action moviemaking. Every episode features shootbangs, tits, plot twists, tough guys and awesome international locales (I think it's mostly filmed in South Africa).
    I wish I knew about this earlier. It's a must-watch for every male on Earth.
    Totally agree with all of the above. And it helps that the two lead actors are both excellent, haven't watched it all yet but glad to see that Stonebridge and Scott are in all of the last 3 seasons. Whoever did the Special Ops boot-camp for Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester to get them into the role did a fine job.

Recent find for me too, I only stumbled on it on Sky On Demand couple of months ago, watched the first two seasons so far and it's terrific entertainment that had gone under my radar too. Who knew Sky was commissioning shows this good?
    Last edited by Colonel J; 23-02-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After watching "serious/gritty" stuff for a while like Homeland (stop after the first season!) I wanted something a little lighter and more "buffy". Tried ONCE Upon a Time, but it's pretty clumsy and slow. Things like Castle and Bones are fun, but don't really work on an "on demand schedule". Just burned through all of The IT Crowd, which was very funny.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Yeah, season 2 is well written and hilarious. I think the show has great difficulty justifying the limited sets in season 4 onwards, and it gets really bad in season 5 when the action is at the Bymore for the one hundred thousandth time. Near the end of season 3, there's a long term mission in Rome that would seem like the natural conclusion to the show because the budget costs would be enormous.
    I originally watched Chuck when it first aired because of Adam Baldwin, but lost interest partway through the first season. I recently watched the entire series because a girl I had a thing for loved it and wouldn't shut up about it.

The show is actually pretty good. Not great, but good. It definitely hits a massive high note on the next to last season (the one with Timothy Dalton), but the actual last season was pretty meh. It had a few decent moments, but it definitely felt like the show was just going through the motions because the fans didn't want to let it get cancelled.

And yeah, Chuck was one of the first shows to operate under the assumption that every season finale would be the series finale. So every season leads up to a way to end the show, and some of them outright could have been the end of the show (I guess it depended on when they got the renewal order, heh).

Oh, and it also suffers from the "popular kids in high school became hollywood writers" effect when it comes to "geek culture". I never once believed Chuck as an "intelligent nerd", and it really felt like they just went down a checklist of "This is what those brainy kids think is cool, right?". Not insulting and I admit that this show carved out its own niche, but it is just one of those things that annoys me. Any time they had an episode centered around "Chuck is a nerd and it gives him an advantage" I couldn't stop laughing for all the wrong reasons.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Finished Strike Back: Project Dawn.
    Can someone explain how a TV show with 300k viewers per episode has better and more action than most Hollywood movies?
    I planned to finish the first season of Hannibal but now I'm going to watch the next seasons of Strike Back...
    I have never heard about this and the first season is apparently subtitled "Origins" which cannot possibly be a good sign. Then again again, I could do with another show that is vaguely like Burn Notice.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Oh, and it also suffers from the "popular kids in high school became hollywood writers" effect when it comes to "geek culture". I never once believed Chuck as an "intelligent nerd", and it really felt like they just went down a checklist of "This is what those brainy kids think is cool, right?". Not insulting and I admit that this show carved out its own niche, but it is just one of those things that annoys me. Any time they had an episode centered around "Chuck is a nerd and it gives him an advantage" I couldn't stop laughing for all the wrong reasons.
    Given Zachary Levi is a massive nerd/geek/whatever in real life, it's very possible they based Chuck's geek-interests off of his. Whilst it could be a bit too obvious some times, it did at least fit in with the team; Sarah was the diplomat and stealth operative, Casey was the Can We Question Them After We've Shot Them? agent leaving Chuck to be The Tech Guy. That he was also into his programming and computers in general I never really questioned it. [Big spoilers for s2]You could also argue that given he was kicked out of university without personal involvement, he attempted to distance himself from that interest until it became a massive factor with holding The Intersect. If he had cheated knowing the risks, he might have cared more.[/spoilers] Fixing a lot of the equipment taken to the shop never really required that much technical knowledge either, although he clearly likes to tinker a little bit.

Then you add that the people he surrounds himself with are skilled in other areas: his sister (and Captain Awesome) possess more physically capable traits and memory for technical skills (further increasing the irony that at the time Chuck, as part of the ensemble, was one of the least viable for The Intersect); Morgan has loyalty on his side, but shows nowhere near as much intellectual or academic aptitude as Chuck; the less said about the Buy More crew the better. He has no-one around to engage his intellect, really, until it becomes important for a mission.

And at the end of the day, as mentioned, the show never took itself that seriously. Most of those moments were just played for laughs.