Page 110 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 3229
    I think the way Twin Peaks goes off the rails is kind of glorious, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    FYI, a Farscape movie is in the works
    And now I need to dig out my replica of Crichtons' longcoat.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    or they might have had little opportunity to change things if they wanted to.
    Spoilers

Hmm they could have edited it to where they are having the happy ending that crichton is having the baby they are going to get married while the characters look on in reactively happiness. I know the cliffhanger is brutal but I don't think that's a good thing maybe or if they were going that way they handled it kind of poorly you need some set up to do something like that. I like good endings anyway and I would have been all for if it ended before the big laser beam happened.

If it was me and I truly wanted a sucker punch ending I might of made the Scarrens fire the laser beam since it would make a lot of sense.

At least Farscape had an ending.
    Hearing about Twin Peaks David Lynch had control over the last four episodes and obviously the prequel movie so I'm guessing the ending he wanted is in there. Obviously David Lynch likes screwing people around and giving weird mysterious that people can't solve cause its all wrapped in visual metaphor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    because all it does is make me wonder what the real season 5 would have been like. (Thanks for the info JG Man, the Nebari government as a new big bad would have been really cool!)
    Incidentally, Farscape might be tied with Star Trek: Enterprise for "What was missed out on potential", as bizarre as that might seem. Just when Enterprise was hitting its stride (coincidentally, the same time someone gave a shit about it actually was running the thing) it was hitting loads of good beats, the lead up to founding of the Federation, really pivotal moments in the history of humanity as presented in the previous series'. And then it got cancelled. Grrr. It's understandable, I suppose, the damage had been done, but maaan. Season 4 was supposed to be about the looming Romulan threat (and spoilers, it was) that would eventually lead into the Human/Romulan war, which was basically the two sides chucking nukes back and forth. The idea then became truncated and whilst it was established that the Romulans were a threat, the founding of the Federation was pretty neat and tidy all things considered. A shame. I think Enterprise certainly got off worse because whilst the Nebari were always a threat, their lack of presence in the show itself meant they never really had much focus, but still...

Had these shows have been made a few years later, just about when streaming was the thing it is now and shows are being renewed exclusively on them, or being made entirely for them anyhow, they might've had more of a chance. That's TV for you, though.

Oh and as for the cliff-hanger, I think if they didn't know whether or not they were going to last, a better style of cliff-hanger would've been the one I mentioned previously for the end of season 2 of Chuck; if it ended there, whilst there were plenty of questions to ask, it was still left in a suitable place in-keeping with the show, but could still definitely be used as a launch pad for something else. There was no build-up to Farscape's, it just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    It seems like halfway through the second season everyone just got bored and started dicking around
    I got that impression from the very first episode of the season. Everything just seemed like it was wacky for the sake of it. The show felt like it was barely containing its insanity, and then suddenly it had all spilt out. I've only watched that one episode so far and I do want to go back to it, but it was such a jolt between the end of season 1 and the start of 2 that it really threw me off. I must get back into it even though I know the worst is yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Speaking of series endings in general, the AVClub looked at the end of Blackadder Goes Forth recently. It's really interesting to read how potent the episode still is - despite being viewed by people who grew up without having already seen it, who hadn't watched the episodes leading up to it (or any Blackadder at all for that matter), and who didn't even have much knowledge of Europe in that time period.
    Good production will always be good production. You could say it about any medium, really. Goodbyeee strikes everything perfectly and most importantly, doesn't relent. It certainly does help though having watched the previous episodes. The sense of dread is immediate come the sixth episode and the whole thing just plays off the inevitable. You'd think the title and the fact it was the last episode, combined with the setting, would be enough, but it's just worse with all of the characters knowing it too. My favourite line in that episode? "Thank god, we lived though it. The Great War, 1914 to 1917." It's obviously played for laughs, but ow. Just ow. You hope that maybe, just maybe, everything will go okay, but as soon as you hear that, you know it's over.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 25-02-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Yeah the ending to Goes Forth is brilliant. Have you seen the making of documentary about all the terrible footage they had to edit together to get it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbR9-etyN6I

I can't believe Michael Gove is having a go at this show because of the WW1 anniversary. The man is an utter arse.

I watched this last night and it is brilliant:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...des_Episode_2/

Jonathan Meades is so bombastic and derisive it is just hilarious. Also I quite like good Brutalism.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I can't believe Michael Gove is having a go at this show because of the WW1 anniversary. The man is an utter arse.
    Gove is a grade A megaprick that can't see one of the best tributes to all the victims of the whole fucking WW1 mess because it isn't shrouded in rule brittania jingodrivel. He's prime cut tory, straight out of the 19th century, and a stark reminder to anybody taken in by the smug onslaught of cameron of what tories really are like. Out of touch aristos and their lackeys, the lot of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Incidentally, Farscape might be tied with Star Trek: Enterprise for "What was missed out on potential", as bizarre as that might seem.
    They even screwed up the attempt to the same story in the novels too, which was doubly frustrating.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Max Headroom is amazingly written, and it's (sort of) watchable today. The fourth episode has a plot ripped from the headlines. Of the present.
    There's a monopoly on security systems worldwide. When an Intrepid Journalist (and protagonist) tried to shine a light on their shady practices, he gets his credit rating revoked and is labelled as a wanted criminal.
    Add AI sexting to this mix and we get one of the finest pieces of TV to ever grace the boob tube.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Yeah the ending to Goes Forth is brilliant. Have you seen the making of documentary about all the terrible footage they had to edit together to get it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbR9-etyN6I
    Haha, fantastic how they rescued that scene from its own footage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I've purchased Babylon 5 season 1. I heard a lot of good about this show but I only managed to see one episode. It was fairly terrible but I was told it was one of the worst in the series. I sure hope rest of the series lives up to the hype.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I've purchased Babylon 5 season 1. I heard a lot of good about this show but I only managed to see one episode. It was fairly terrible but I was told it was one of the worst in the series. I sure hope rest of the series lives up to the hype.
    The overarching story arc only starts about halfway through season 1. There are some episodes which are seemingly standalone, but they do set up some plot points for later on. It's worth to watch all the episodes, even the bad ones. Season 2 is where the real fun begins, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Gove is a grade A megaprick that can't see one of the best tributes to all the victims of the whole fucking WW1 mess because it isn't shrouded in rule brittania jingodrivel. He's prime cut tory, straight out of the 19th century, and a stark reminder to anybody taken in by the smug onslaught of cameron of what tories really are like. Out of touch aristos and their lackeys, the lot of them.
    Here here. Also he looks comically like Pob.
    michael%u00252Bgove.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Hehe. Babylon 5 cgi looks so dated. Yet it allowed them to show and do stuff which ST franchise did not see till end of voyager and in ENT. Im quiet impressed. I know that as 8 year old I would be awestruck seeing this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Hehe. Babylon 5 cgi looks so dated. Yet it allowed them to show and do stuff which ST franchise did not see till end of voyager and in ENT. Im quiet impressed. I know that as 8 year old I would be awestruck seeing this series.
    And done on an Amiga, which for a kid with an Amiga was so. damned. awesome.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Caught up on the first season of Arrow. Now about a quarter through the current season. OK, some parts are melodramatic and others are predictable, but the action sequences are better than the usual TV superhero stuff. It plays loose with DC comics continuity and tradition. That's OK. The references and spirit of the thing are still closer to the comics than they ever were in Smallville. While it's very much an origin story (for a number of characters), well, so was The Dark Knight. Without wanting to spoil anything, the darker look of Arrow vs Smallville and some pieces of the plot tie in favorably with TDK and make you feel like there's a larger world out there. Also the flash-back sequences provide some mystery and tension and are happily reminiscent of the early seasons of Lost even while they would not be believable outside of a superhero TV show context.

You can tell that a few episodes of Almost Human are being shown out of their intended order, but in a way that gives me hope that if they get a second season they'll have a better structure planned for it.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Finished Max Headroom. Truly amazing, in every way.
    The second series trumps the first, but they got cancelled midway. I like to thing it was because of the ratings episode. Using the (disgruntled) police force to curb piracy and deny education to the poor kids. Or it was the Deities episode, about Scientology. Or anything Max Headroom says, really.
    The main character(Edison Carter, intrepid reporter) gets much more fleshed out and loses the Marty Stu characterization of the first season. Mission Control "Exxxtreme British Accent" Theora is revealed to be a truly independent woman, and resists the UST with Carter. Just for this the show should get a medal.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yes The Americans has started up again. Really great spy plot to start us up, with very horrible outcomes for some players. Puts a lot of dread straight up for the married duo and their kids in this one. The married duo is doing alight in this one, cue really awkward scene of morning after the kid saw them doing it...yeah! Hope it continues to be one of the best TV shows on at the moment.

Hannibal is back for more nerve-shredding and delicious looking food.

And yes, very glad to see The Americans back, although I'm also sort of sad that Clark didn't get his own spin-off show.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Two long-running shows that have alienated their fanbases due to shifts/age and are ending this year

Psych: I love the show. I hated the first season, but it hit its stride and probably became my favorite TV comedy that I can watch around anyone (Archer and Wilfred are great shows, but it is awkward to have someone walk in during one of the rape or abortion jokes). I had a feeling this would be the final season as most of the cast seems to have moved on (Maggie Lawson even has her own shitty ABC Family show with James Caan), and the premise itself is pretty much dead at this point (basically everyone knows Shawn isn't a psychic at this point, and he doesn't even really pretend he is anymore).

But I think that is what is making this season work. They don't mind breaking up the dynamic. Already we have Lassiter and Shawn admitting they are pretty good friends, Gus quitting his job, Shawn trying to grow up and get a job, and two cast members almost completely written out (with one of them likely in a much diminished role after the events of last week). The only other show I can think of that is basically re-piloting to this degree, and this successfully, is probably Archer (Community is trying, but it isn't working) which also threw the premise out the window. It is quite refreshing to finally have an "(Almost) Anything Can Happen" TV show.

That being said, it sounds like USA still want to do something with Rhoday and Dule Hill, so I see a spiritual successor cropping up next season. Speaking of, has anyone heard anything concrete on the Burn Notice spinoff? I know Bruce Campbell has hinted at it a lot and mentioned he is talking with USA.

And on the other end of the spectrum: How I Met Your Mother continues to have a mostly mediocre season that is basically driven by a few strong moments and a desire to see the story come to its conclusion. I am really starting to wish they had just done a mini-series to end it as it feels like they have more than 2 episodes of content, but not a full season. Kind of funny that they are going for a pseudo-24 approach while 24 is coming back as a mini-series with lots of jumps and gaps.

I am still enjoying the show and all signs are pointing to massive feels at the end. Especially as the The Mother is Dead theory seems to be all but confirmed after last night. it is kind of funny, the early seasons are pretty much "Funny show, wish they wouldn't do the drama" and it has now become "Ugh, can they just stop with the jokes and focus on the drama". Not sure what that says about it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.