Page 112 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2941
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    If people like TToI, they owe it to themselves to check out Yes, Minister. The style of humour is different, but it's just as clever and witty.
    Your wish is my command.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I just started the second season of House of Cards. Did not see that coming.

F U. Highly recommended.

'Merican version?

Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    'Merican version?
    Yes. /10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Well, I started the second season of Twin Peaks and it's as good as ever. David Lynch is a one-trick pony, so all the episode he directs have that trademark creepy undertones and general uneasiness. They are very well directed.
    Miguel Ferrer comes back for an amazing role, the snarky Men in Black. Pitch perfect.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    David Lynch is a one-trick pony, so all the episode he directs have that trademark creepy undertones and general uneasiness.
    Bullshit, watch The Straight Story and tell me you didn't tear up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I've started watching Farscape with a view to seeing if I'm going to stick with it. I remember not liking it when I was younger and it was originally on. Watched the first episode and it was OK, going to give it a few episodes to bed in. Does remind me that sci-fi shows completely get away with looking quite dated as it gives them a sort of oddball charm that they might otherwise life.

Anyone got any strong opinions as to whether it's worth watching for the long haul or not?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I would say yes and I would say that Farscape is one of those shows that is quite weak during the first half of season 1 with it just appearing to be another sci fi show. Get through it though and you find its got great character moments some awesome off the wall storylines and goes in an interesting direction.

Finally completed the last 3 episodes of season 1 of Hannibal. Went in a very interesting direction and liking the manipulation from Hannibal. The weird off kilter tone of a lot of the episodes I really like but watching David Lynch movies I would think someone like him that would push it evwn further wiuld be awesome but its on a network so doubt that would ever happen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I also finished the first season of Hannibal and then watched the new episodes. Hannibal's food looks delicious, always makes me hungry. Not even the gore horrorshow stops the munchies!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Anyone got any strong opinions as to whether it's worth watching for the long haul or not?
    Absolutely!

At the same time, whilst the first half of season 1 might not be too exciting, there are a few key episodes in there, one of which is actually the starting arc for the main plot for the rest of the show, not that you'll notice at all immediately. With that in mind, try not to skip any, because the knowledge of watching an episode, not knowing if it's important to the overall thing and then later going on "Oh, it was in THAT episode?!" is pretty great.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I find it really difficult to talk about Farscape in any objective manner because I really am kind of a fanboy and I am not a fanboy of very many things. While it certainly is not as amazing as Deep Space Nine or Babylon 5 (then again, what is) it is the best sci-fi series of that weird period of around 2000 where suddenly there was a plethora of space opera series. Lexx, Firefly, Andromeda, Enterprise or Stargate. Then it kinda disappeared of the face of the earth and we haven't seen one in quite some time. Possible due to the colossal failure of the Enterprise TV series. I could probably fill a whole book about how much I hate that abomination but I don't want to bore anyone right now. In that way Farscape feels like the last of its kind. The last really good space opera.
    Yes, the first season is not particularly great but the series only gets better as it progresses and the characters become more than just rubber forehead aliens. Beyond that it simply is exceptional science fiction. Everyone who thinks otherwise can frell right off.

/drunk rant
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    I just started the second season of House of Cards. Did not see that coming.

F U. Highly recommended.
    Bloody fucking hell. Well, she was annoying anyway. Looks like the series might just get interesting after all.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I also finished the first season of Hannibal and then watched the new episodes. Hannibal's food looks delicious, always makes me hungry. Not even the gore horrorshow stops the munchies!
    I always have the same reaction to the food! I mean, I know it's supposed to be people, but dang​ he makes some good looking stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    about to watch last episode of season 1 of Babylon 5. Unfortunately I like the series a lot so time to buy another season :(

watching as well Brooklyn 99. I got to see 3 episodes on a plane 2 months ago and instantly fell in love with this series. Recommend it with all my heart.

Obscure Node
    I'm in the USA but I like to keep an eye on what TV shows are coming out in the UK and Canada. Can anyone recommend good blogs or websites as resources for this kind of news? Searching google or google UK gives me stuff like TV Guide. That's not exactly what I want. I want more info on upcoming shows or series and episode reviews and release dates.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azoner View Post
    I'm in the USA but I like to keep an eye on what TV shows are coming out in the UK and Canada. Can anyone recommend good blogs or websites as resources for this kind of news? Searching google or google UK gives me stuff like TV Guide. That's not exactly what I want. I want more info on upcoming shows or series and episode reviews and release dates.
    Den of Geek has that sort of thing, though it's mixed up in with the American shows and caters to specific types of show (Dr Who, Sherlock. etc) - http://www.denofgeek.com/tv

Probably the best place for UK TV guides is newspaper websites (though again it'll be mixed in with shows from other countries, but there's definitely more of a British bias), you'll have to try a few till you find writers you like, the broadsheets are usually the best option so pick one you like from The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio), The Independent (http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio) or The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/).

Feel a little dirty linking to the Telegraph, but TV doesn't have much of a political leaning and you might like their reporting best!

----

So Farscape. I'm finding it OK enough so far (about 5 episodes in) and will stick with it (particularly given everyone has said it improves). Not sure if it was what put me off the first time (doubt I would have noticed) but I find the most irksome thing about it is that Crichton is a bit of a prick; though one of the shows saving graces is that all the other characters think so too. Have to admit I've rarely been so happy to see a protagonist get punched in the face by one of his allies!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The thing you have to remember about Crichton is that he's so far out of his element that most of that is really just a shield against the fact he's completely scared. This becomes a key character trait for him, which shows up at the endings of both season 1 and 2 and is taken to its logical extreme at the end of 4. Of everyone on Moya at episode 5, he's really the only one with an innocent soul, apart from maybe Moya herself and Aeryn, post-Peacekeeping (which itself is dealt with in an episode in early s2).