Page 113 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 3087
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I binged on True Detective over the weekend. Very much enjoyed it, but its difficult to talk about without spoilers. I'm going to re-watch it, and soon, to see what I can absorb from a second viewing. That's kind of a big compliment as I don't often do that with even my favourite shows. Also (small spoiler)Carcosa was fantastically creepy.

Speaking of favourite shows...

Community had a fair episode this week. The story wasn't so great, but we did get the debut of Spencer from Harmontown, a great cameo role by Vince Gilligan (even better than Mitch Hurwtiz's cameo in the previous episode... Dan Harmon has some very talented friends!), the continuation of two very important developments; firstly Chang being an entertaining and genuine character again, secondly people not giving in to Abed's shit but calling him on it and forcing him to grow a bit. Awesome.

And that's ignoring the best development of all; that Britta the principled delinquent is and will forever be superior to Britta the airhead screwup - I'm so utterly delighted my favourite sitcom character is back.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is crammed with entertaining characters, it's become a very easy show to like. I nearly fell out of my chair during the back and forth between the deadpan Diaz and the also deadpan Holt, when the captain is trying to teach her how apologise with genuine inflexion. The show intimately understands what makes its characters enjoyable.

Rick and Morty has really found its tonal footing now. The early episodes were not all that funny, but the last 3-4 have each been somehow better than the one that came before it. I'm now very much on board with this frank and often gross depiction of mad science.

Hannibal is amazing. Every episode is a feast. The fact that the storyline is, by design, force the dynamic to evolve way beyond the typical growth of a 7-season series really helps drive things along and continues to throw up surprises - even though we ostensibly have a broad idea what will happen. (Poor Freddie.)

The season opener even played on this by showing us what is assumedly the dramatic climax of the season as a flashforward - but not how it ends. We know Jack will eventually confront Hannibal, we know they will fight. We also know that by heading into Red Dragon in Season 4, Hannibal will eventually be caught at some point - but is this that moment?

The quality of the show is that the outcome, to me, often doesn't matter - the process of getting there is gripping enough by itself. Seriously hyped for Season 4, I really hope they are allowed to get there.

Woo long post!
    Last edited by Screwie; 17-03-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Rewatched the first five seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, mostly due to not having anything else to watch. It hadn't been that long since I last watched them, but I rather enjoyed them anyway.
    Then I watched the newer 'Lost Missions' episodes for the first time. They're okay, but suffer severely from a lack of Ahsoka and Ventress. I had hoped there'd be something about what happened to them.
    The episodes are also a good bit darker than the earlier episodes and there's not so much humour.
    I don't think they'll be quite as enjoyable to rewatch later on as the other seasons are.

Also watched the first season of Strike Back, due to it having been mentioned in this thread. It was oddly familiar, so I wonder if I've watched some of it on TV at some point (if so, I doubt they showed more than the first season).
    Interesting enough that I'm going to watch the other seasons too.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    Bloody fucking hell. Well, she was annoying anyway. Looks like the series might just get interesting after all.
    Wait until the end of episode 11 of season 2. I just watched it.

[spoiler] DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. And I consider myself depraved as fuck.[/spoiler]

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    George R.R Martin kind of nearly confirming that if the show caught up to his books they might be making prequel seasons http://www.avclub.com/article/george...ame-thr-202330 I could actually see them making a prequel season but not like 400 years ago. I could see them maybe making a season based on how Robert Got onto the throne, the intrigue of it and showing a bit more of the mad dragon king. The writers could tie this up with a few people like Daenarys and the Stark children to make it appear that its not mindless filler so the show doesn't catch up to the books.

I don't know how I feel about it but they will have to do something since in 3 seasons they will have caught up probably to the 6th book and the 7th book probably will take some time to be completed.

I understand HBO and Benioff/Weiss are adamant they'll do 7 seasons and that's it, they're not going to wait around for Martin to finish up as it's difficult enough as it is given the aging of the actors (especially the younger ones).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Twin Peaks season 2 gets bogged down after the seventh episode. Let's see if the last episodes manage to bring the series to new heights or they maintain this slog.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Twin Peaks season 2 gets bogged down after the seventh episode. Let's see if the last episodes manage to bring the series to new heights or they maintain this slog.
    Oh boy...

10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    George R.R Martin kind of nearly confirming that if the show caught up to his books they might be making prequel seasons http://www.avclub.com/article/george...ame-thr-202330 I could actually see them making a prequel season but not like 400 years ago. I could see them maybe making a season based on how Robert Got onto the throne, the intrigue of it and showing a bit more of the mad dragon king. The writers could tie this up with a few people like Daenarys and the Stark children to make it appear that its not mindless filler so the show doesn't catch up to the books.

I don't know how I feel about it but they will have to do something since in 3 seasons they will have caught up probably to the 6th book and the 7th book probably will take some time to be completed.
    Yeah, that is kind of bullshit since a big part of the original negotiations was that he told the showrunners how it ended so they could finish it.

It sounds like that is mostly what HE wants, so hopefully HBO can ignore him (as I assume they can, contractually). But this may be similar to how the Daenarys actress is sick of nude scenes and refuses to do them and this is Martin stretching his muscle to try to not get overtaken. I can't think of what he can really do at this point other than throw a hissy fit, but that might be enough.

And that would fit in with him as a person since he HATES "fanfiction" and I vaguely recall reading an article where he was VERY critical of Sanderson for finishing The Wheel of Time (even though he was using Jordan's notes/drafts and had the approval of Jordan's widow). The very likely nature of the show finishing before him is probably REALLY pushing his buttons.
    Last edited by gundato; 19-03-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Oh boy...

10char
    Let me maintain the fantasy it wraps around in a good way! I beg of you.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Yeah, that is kind of bullshit since a big part of the original negotiations was that he told the showrunners how it ended so they could finish it.

They may know bits of the ending and where it is heading but whether that is enough to create whole seasons I don't know.

And that would fit in with him as a person since he HATES "fanfiction" and I vaguely recall reading an article where he was VERY critical of Sanderson for finishing The Wheel of Time (even though he was using Jordan's notes/drafts and had the approval of Jordan's widow). The very likely nature of the show finishing before him is probably REALLY pushing his buttons.

Well I also think he is starting to like bloat(obvious joke is obvious)(why do I get the feeling Book 7 is not going to be the last book) and I can understand why he would want the series to be more then 7 seasons and to follow his novels cause it gains him more money

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Wait until the end of episode 11 of season 2. I just watched it.

[spoiler] DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. And I consider myself depraved as fuck.[/spoiler]
    Why, are you implying consensual sex between adults is depraved?

Just kidding. The most disturbing part is that Frank is the only one of the three not drunk as fuck. Fantastic season so far, an improvement over the first in every way. Very bold. Looking forward to the rest.
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 20-03-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    hokay. Babylon 5 second season.
    change in the main cast.

had to read up on wiki wtf was going on as main cast change is extremely jarring to me. Especially with half of the cast missing in first episode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    They may know bits of the ending and where it is heading but whether that is enough to create whole seasons I don't know.
    My understanding from the interview way back when was that they basically got his notes. So similar to Sanderson finishing Jordan's work. If Martin croaks, they can make the definitive ending. If Martin lives, their ending would have the same overall themes but different characters may live or die, etc. And Martin could just change everything for whatever reason

Well I also think he is starting to like bloat(obvious joke is obvious)(why do I get the feeling Book 7 is not going to be the last book) and I can understand why he would want the series to be more then 7 seasons and to follow his novels cause it gains him more money
    I think it is more that he has realized EVERYONE is watching him now. He has had a very successful career, but nothing approaching the levels of A Song of Ice and Fire, and he probably realizes it will be his last major work. So he wants to make sure he does things "good", and he has enough clout with his publisher that he can take his time.

In actual TV news, I watched the penultimate episode of Psych last night. Aka "The One with Bruce Campbell". It... wasn't very good. Usually I love the Rhoday directed episodes, but this one just didn't really have much of a point and felt like they were spinning their wheels. Which makes a lot of sense since, in terms of production, it was the final episode and was mostly a way to goof off and have some fun. But it just never really hooked me, and the shift at the end to making Bruce Campbell jokes just felt off.

In better news: Supernatural's latest season kind of sucks, horribly. But Tuesday's episode was great, if only for being all about Mark "Crowley" Sheppard. Essentially it was the story of Sam and Dean (Moose and Not Moose) babysitting pseudo-human Crowley. And, fortunately, the writers didn't forget that Demons are Humans who were Turned, so Human Crowley is a complete prick full of substance abuse and petty theft. And it works. Hopefully the remaining episodes will have more of Timothy "Lassi-Cain" Olmundsen, since I love him on Psych and his portrayal of Cain was perfect (just the right mix of asshole and terrifyingly badass old man).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I think it is more that he has realized EVERYONE is watching him now. He has had a very successful career, but nothing approaching the levels of A Song of Ice and Fire, and he probably realizes it will be his last major work. So he wants to make sure he does things "good", and he has enough clout with his publisher that he can take his time.
    Yeah that fits since now there is news that he wants to make movies out of the last books and make the novellas into mini series or movies as well so basically he is just crying out and say remember me remember me. And its an elaborate way to promote season 4 which is coming out soon.

Getting near to the end of Season 2 with The Good Wife, while not ground breaking I think its got quite entertaining characters and stories for me to continue watching it. It has a cynical tone with a lot of episodes where it will say sometimes Lawyers are assholes and there clients actually did the crime ad they have to put in a lot of shaky evidence or things that will inflame the jury to get them off. Sometimes it can punch you in the gut or will have some great episodes and sometimes they will focus on storylines that just do not work and characters that are not that great(Alicia's kids I'm looking at you, the whole Blake and Kalinda storyline). Pretty entertaining none the less. Plus it has Michael J Fox in a great villain role sometimes and he is always entertaining, and if you want to see the faces of The Wire in another show pretty much they have all of them in here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Too soon?

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Too soon?
    I think the way she went from kind of normal kid to 100% insane in the space of half an episode kind of undermined the impact of the whole thing though. They could have sown a few more seeds of "she thinks the zombies are people" and that would have been enough. Maybe I'm giving the average TV audience too much credit.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 20-03-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Too soon?
    That was actually a great moment in an otherwise dull episode. Which basically describes most of season 4 so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBert View Post
    That was actually a great moment in an otherwise dull episode. Which basically describes most of season 4 so far.
    Basically describes most of the show.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    So I'm definitely getting closer to being hooked of Farscape rather than just quite enjoying it. It's not quite there yet, there's definitely still flaws, but I can just about point to one moment that marked the change, namely when [spoiler]they cut off Pilot's arm. While I'm still relatively confident in the "conflict of the week TM" more or less returning to the status quo by the end of the episode, that event puts enough of a seed of doubt in my mind by ramming home just how desperate the characters are to get home that there's actually a genuine bit of tension to scenes in later episodes where characters are tempted by selfish actions as they've already demonstrated that they are more than capable of them. [spoilers end]

Plus they are starting to throw in a few more interesting ideas here and there amongst the more standard sci-fi plot arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    So I'm definitely getting closer to being hooked of Farscape rather than just quite enjoying it. It's not quite there yet, there's definitely still flaws, but I can just about point to one moment that marked the change, namely when [spoiler]they cut off Pilot's arm. While I'm still relatively confident in the "conflict of the week TM" more or less returning to the status quo by the end of the episode, that event puts enough of a seed of doubt in my mind by ramming home just how desperate the characters are to get home that there's actually a genuine bit of tension to scenes in later episodes where characters are tempted by selfish actions as they've already demonstrated that they are more than capable of them. [spoilers end]

Plus they are starting to throw in a few more interesting ideas here and there amongst the more standard sci-fi plot arcs.
    Farscape just keeps getting markedly better and better imo. You will be rewarded for your patience, best is yet to come.