Page 116 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2948
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Naturally this post will be Farscape spoiler filled so if anyone else is thinking of watching it then don't read on . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    1. Your thoughts on Scorpius, as a character? Great or greatest?
    Really great, sinister intelligent, almost always one step ahead but with enough vulnerabilities to make him unpredictable and intriguing. The actor does a fantastic job of making him one creepy sonofabitch.

2. What did you think to 'Out of their minds'? I love how it plays with it (probably best summed up by Crichton's 'experience' in a foreign body and the final conversation between him and Aeryn) and doesn't really care that the science behind it makes zero sense.
    2a. What are your thoughts to pizza and margaritas on the beach?
    It's very good (I genuinely was wondering when Crichton would go for some alone time!), particularly liked the identity badges. Not quite as good as say Tabula Rasa from Buffy (that was amnesia but it's a similar type of episode) but that's a pretty high bar!

a) Only if it's fresh pizza and frozen margaritas.

3. What were the first words that left your mouth upon finishing season 2, particularly its last episode? I remember the first time finishing it and just having chills. I watched it again a couple of years ago and felt exactly the same.
    Think it was "fuck that's bleak" or something along those lines. At least I could fire up the next episode straight away! Sure there's been other series that have dark twists (Supernatural springs to mind) or hints of bad things to come but it's rare for a series to hand such a complete victory to the villain.

4. Apart from Scorpius, who is naturally your favourite character, who is your second favourite?
    Can I cheat and say Harvey? I think I have favourite character combinations rather than favourite characters D'Argo/John, followed by Rygel/Chiana then Aeryn/Pilot (the episode where that relationship was challenged was genuinely difficult viewing). I'm going to say D'Argo is my favourite (really like his character development) though I'm a bit worried about where his current character arc is heading and hope it doesn't lead to moping around. Second favourite is a tough ask!

5. How long would you survive against a Nabari's torturing?
    A matter of microts!

6. 'Taking the stone', an early season 2 episode; like it or hate it? (I like it, common opinion on it seems to be mostly negative.)
    I'm with common opinion, while I appreciated the chance to try and get to know Chiana a bit bitter (her character was still very underdeveloped at that time) the episode as a whole just felt a bit muddled (while some of that was intentional I think it just veered to far into confusion). Felt like one of the shows weaker episodes, along with the multiple Crichtons episode, which was a concept with potential that turned out all too predictable (would have probably been more forgiving with it with the earlier episodes, guess it shows how much the writers raise their game in the second series).

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    7. Did you really love Crackers Don't Matter?
    Yup, and I'm glad they decided that that sort of thing worked well and led to more things along those lines (though thankfully in mostly milder doses, if they'd played Crichton cracking up do that extreme a level all the way through then he would have been even more grating than in the first series but for an isolated episode where other characters were similarly affected it worked well). Loved all the inept plotting and backstabbing from the rest of the characters during that episode too.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 26-03-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    7. Did you really love Crackers Don't Matter?
    I need more light!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Last episode of The Good Wife caught me in surprise. I almost cried out when Will was confirmed dead. I realize that this plot was to facilitate quitting of the actor for the character. This kinda plot is simply unthinkable for a drama written over here.

Re-watching season 6 of Californication. It was a welcome return to form after the frankly disappointing season 5. Plus, Tim Minchin as Atticus Fetch.

It's a shame season 7 will be the last one. I would love to see a Charlie spin-off show.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

More Cooking with Hannibal:

Fantastic show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    First 5 episodes of Vikings S02. I loved the first season and this one's even better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Veep is the American version of The Thick of It. Iannucci knew Malcom Tucker wouldn't fly on the states, so he's replaced by a very young guy, keeping up with the theme. Of course he's repulsively trying to fuck every woman, and failing hilariously. The writing is as sharp and biting as TToI, minus the swearing. When they do swear, it sounds wrong. Damn prudes.
    The main character is the vice-president, which means she absolutely no power whatsoever, and occupies the same political space as the original ministry, it's just a dumpster for policies nobody cares. Julia-Louis-Dreyfus nails it, since it's not very different from her character in Seinfeld.
    Most of the supporting cast is just like the original, but none of the characters are carbon-copies of TToI. They are different, but still incompetent fuckwits.
    The new, and best, addition to the cast is the VP's daughter. This allows the series to explore different themes that rarely have expression in the UK, like how the families cope with the pressure of public office. She's basically the Straight Man to all the other people, always being ignored and, at most, used by her mother to get good photo-ops. Basically, we get a Woobie to get jerked around, whose first scene is asking a guy if he ever read Faulkner, and he just makes that face "Suuure..." and dives into his phone.

All in all, different but still great.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I watched the first couple of episodes of Veep and thought it was alright. Given that TToI was still on at the time, it felt like a pale imitation, but your words (and clearly experience with it being longer than mine) suggests it maybe improves? I've seen a few promos they've done here and there and they've seemed funny.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I watched the first couple of episodes of Veep and thought it was alright. Given that TToI was still on at the time, it felt like a pale imitation, but your words (and clearly experience with it being longer than mine) suggests it maybe improves? I've seen a few promos they've done here and there and they've seemed funny.
    It definitively loses some of its charm, compared to the original. Still, the writing makes up for it. I've only seen 6 episodes yet.
    It was really a pragmatic choice, really. Even in HBO, land of the gratuitous T&A, The Thick of It would never, EVER be allowed. What do you mean, Freedom of Speech?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I picked up True Detective because I liked Comadusters' cover of its theme song. On 7-th episode now. About the show itself... I'm not sure, it's interesting and mostly well done, I enjoy it but I feel it becomes less and less interesting after the timeskip and especially after the action switches to the present time. I mean seriously, I can't really explain it but all tension is gone. I liked how it started with older characters reflecting on their past actions but it seems all "character development" was just an act. I don't like it. There are other things. The shootout in the woods was strange and full of idiot ball on both characters' side and authors'( last I heard shooting people point blank results in easily detectable burns, this whole cover story couldn't work ever). Sometimes the production is not-so-great, inside car shots look like something from 50's with blurry moving backgrounds, but maybe intenional considering the worst moment included the drugged Rust in full-noir mode. Again I don't know. It's entrtainment and a good one, the performances vary from adequate to great but I kind of feel stange when people around me claim it's the best thing ever or something superintellectual.
    The cover story has Hart shooting baddie #1 point blank. I suppose that leaves the burns on Cohle the the (likely) lack of burns on said baddie, but neither is hard to work around.

True Detective is one of those odd cases where I can see why some people aren't so stoked, but I still feel it's absolutely incredible. Very few works, let alone TV series, manage to nail tone as consistently as TD does. Fukunaga is an extremely talented director, and Rust is easily one of the best Nietzche-inspired characters ever, tangents included.

It does mellow out after the time skip, and I suppose this is the main point of contention. Personally, I think it works really well as far as the characters are concerned; you say they lose their development, but I just don't see that. The title is important to keep in mind around this point: the last few episodes are about two washed up detectives trying to find closure to a fifteen year old case. It's an epilogue, one that high tension and thundering revelations I think would've undermined.

It should be really interesting to see an anthology like this move forward. Fingers crossed that season two manages the same quality.

Speaking of Farscape, I've just watched the first episode of Jim Hensons' Creature Shop Challenge, hosted by none other than Gigi Edgley. Ten contestants get a weekly brief to design creatures, with one being sent home each week and the eventual winner getting a contract with the Creature Shop. Some of the contestants have had some pretty decent experience (one works for Disney already), others not so much. The three judges, Brian Henson, Beth Hathaway and Kirk Thatcher (who incidentally was the punk on the bus in Star Trek IV) were pretty constructive with their criticisms of the first round of designs, but I wouldn't mind seeing the creature briefs get more grand and ambitious in scope.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wow, last episode of 4th season of The Walking Dead actually managed to be good. It was almost as good as some comic issues.

Going off topic, while I don't remember exactly how much of the comic I read through, I do remember being somewhat underwhelmed by it. Does it pick up later on?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    When Negan, Lucille and Saviors show up, things are getting better and better (not for main characters though).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    More Cooking with Hannibal:

Fantastic show.
    Mads did that shot in one take, much to the bemusement of the crew who brought dozens of eggs and a few experienced hand doubles to the set.

But yeah, fantastic show! Every espiode is gorgeous to look at and has me completely gripped. I really cannot wait to see it reach season 4 and begin adapting from the books directly. Knowing where this story is heading doesn't make it any less thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    Going off topic, while I don't remember exactly how much of the comic I read through, I do remember being somewhat underwhelmed by it. Does it pick up later on?
    I am catching up on the comics mostly through obligation. I'm not really enjoying it either. What really surprised me is the show seems to develop characters much better than the source material. Where the show has aped the comics it's usually improved on them - the opposite of what usually happpens.

That said I'm only as far as the Governoer storyline stuff, so it may improve beyond that.

Great season finale for Walking Dead though. I especially liked (spoilers):
    • The time taken between Daryl seeing Rick and weighing up his allegiances? Literally zero seconds. Awesome. Some drama should not be forced.
    • Rick doing whatever it takes. Jeez, that was the most uncomfortable, brutal scene I've sat through on TV in a while. And I've been watching Hannibal and True Detective lately!
    • Daryl seems to believe Beth was driving that car or something? It at least explain why he's not so focussed on finding her.
    • Michonne and Carl are the best characters now, especially together.
    • The writers have chosen not to patronise us and hinge any kind of suspence on the residents of Terminus' true intentions.
    • Terminus wasn't hastily wrapped up in a single episode, but looks to be our setting for a little while at least.
    • Burned photograph be damned! Glenn and Maggie both made it through the season alive.
    Last edited by Screwie; 01-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    And two of the shows I have been watching for years are now over.

Last week was the Psych series finale. Honestly, I think it was a perfect series finale. In large part because it was just an ordinary episode. Yes, there was the b-plot of "This is the end of Psych", but it didn't get in the way of the A-plot of "Somebody is dead, so let's figure out who did it". And while it hits some emotional high notes and ties in very well with the entire season as a whole, it also shows that Psych will continue... just not on TV. It won't go down in history as one of the most memorable or amazing finales, but I think the showrunners played it smart: They didn't aim high, they just wanted to give people closure while still making another great episode. To put it in terms of sports that I barely understand: The showrunners wanted to win the football game so they decided to "win by one point" with a field goal rather than go for a touchdown.

And last night was the How I met your Mother finale which took the opposite approach. It went for a big blowout finish. And it failed pretty hard. The finale (two episodes in a row) was essentially the final season: Some stuff worked really well, most things fell flat, a few bits were mildly offensive, and the pacing was horrendous (except, instead of being too stretched out it was too compacted). And, as expected, The Mother managed to finish the series without ever becoming a character. Even in all the flash-forwards she either wasn't there or was awkwardly silent while her husband and his friends talked.
    That isn't to say she was a bad casting. Her scenes with Josh Radnor (Ted aka "Young Bob Saget") throughout the season actually came close to being worth the wait. But her scenes with pretty much every other cast member were rather weak.

So with respect to Psych: I want a movie or a mini-series once the actors and actresses are done with their current stuff
    With respect to How I met your Mother: Good riddance.

Or, to go back to my horrible sports metaphors (Running is a sport, right?): Psych has run a marathon and they just kept running. There were a few missteps, but they finished. How I Met Your Mother decided to try to sprint the last kilometer and passed out right before the finish line.
    Last edited by gundato; 01-04-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Oh dear the finale from what i read sounds quite bad

so SPOILERS

Going back to Robin being the one...so much fucking eye rolling I get it I really do but seriously its a stupid plot, Barney going back to Barney is a stupid plot. It basically poos on any emotional and physical change that the characters actually maybe have gained from the seasons in fact I quite liked Ted moving away from Robin and whenever they tried to go back to it it was always eye rolling. I quite liked Barney finding out that he could have a long term relationship but still be himself but then to have him divorce Robin and basically go back to womanizing and having a kid...blergh!

Oh dear the finale from what i read sounds quite bad

so SPOILERS

Going back to Robin being the one...so much fucking eye rolling I get it I really do but seriously its a stupid plot, Barney going back to Barney is a stupid plot. It basically poos on any emotional and physical change that the characters actually maybe have gained from the seasons in fact I quite liked Ted moving away from Robin and whenever they tried to go back to it it was always eye rolling. I quite liked Barney finding out that he could have a long term relationship but still be himself but then to have him divorce Robin and basically go back to womanizing and having a kid...blergh!
    Yeah, that sounds about right and mirrors a lot of my thoughts, but I also can't deny that the series led up to it.

Spoilers: The Mother (she doesn't deserve a name...) dying has been foreshadowed over the years, and quite heavily over the past year or so, right from the masterful speech in which Ted wishes he had met her just a few months earlier. And the episode introducing The Mother properly touched on that, since her off-screen arc was coming to terms with losing the love of her life and finally being able to move on. So, in a lot of ways, ending it with Ted moving on from the loss of The Mother is quite fitting. It is just also REALLY stupid and wasn't "earned", since The Mother was never really a character and it largely felt like she was just "there" to justify Ted and Robin finally getting together. And the Barney and Robin stuff was pretty crappy, although it might be worth it just for the gag of Barney berating the barflies for making poor decisions and telling them they should reassess their lives and call their parents.

But I actually do feel, a bit, better about it after reading the AV Club review of the episode. It basically puts things into the context of (SPOILERS) being about finally not using Ted as the whipping boy of the group. The entire series has basically mocked him for being so passionate and being "kind of dorky" and has showed his friends all move on and grow up and leave him in the dust. So the time skips kind of show how he finally found someone who fits his personality and that his "all in" mentality allowed him to get the most out of his short time with her. Whereas it also shows his friends basically doing what HE did the entire series. Marshall and Lily put their lives on hold to allow their friends to be happy (admittedly, they did it for each other so it isn't so "bad"). Robin pined over having let The One get away and lost faith in love, and Barney was clinging to his youth as a way to not have to deal with where his life has gone. Which is REALLY shitty mind you and a horrible message to send (apparently they can't all be happy...). But the final scene, Ted giving Robin the blue horn (again) basically shows that, even after having become Bob Saget (who wasn't in the episode...), he is still Ted. He is still the guy who told a woman he loved her on their very first date. Even after having lost the love of his life (not counting Robin, of course...) he is willing to leap in with full confidence. Which IS kind of nice

The things it got right, it got very right. It just screwed up a LOT of stuff and had a few vaguely offensive/unfortunate moments too. And I can't help but feel the writers kind of got boned by recording Fonesca and Whatshisface 7 years ago, since it only really gave them one option for an ending (that wouldn't have been so shitty 7 years ago...). Everyone's an editor and what not, but I would personally have put it in the context of "Ted tells various aspects of this story to them multiple times over the years" as an excuse to be able to film a new ending that wouldn't piss off every single fan. And it wouldn't make it seem like he was just telling them about "all the floozies he banged" over the years for hours on end.

Also: WHERE THE FUCK WAS BOB SAGET?!?!?!?!
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The Mother (she doesn't deserve a name...) dying has been foreshadowed over the years, and quite heavily over the past year or so, right from the masterful speech in which Ted wishes he had met her just a few months earlier. And the episode introducing The Mother properly touched on that, since her off-screen arc was coming to terms with losing the love of her life and finally being able to move on. So, in a lot of ways, ending it with Ted moving on from the loss of The Mother is quite fitting. It is just also REALLY stupid and wasn't "earned", since The Mother was never really a character and it largely felt like she was just "there" to justify Ted and Robin finally getting together.
    See I wouldn't have a problem with this plot point either has a nice twinge of tragedy to it, kind of makes sense in the grand scheme of things(why was he telling the story in the first place?) and the thing is I never really got the True Love aspect from Ted cause it always seemed sappy and came from a bad rom-com and always liked that the show kind of undermined this with a lot of episodes saying that the one isn't the person who fills your checklist but an actual human being the mother filling the checklist and dying would be the ultimate underwriting of that and it would be brave. But sitcom writers especially in the 9th season are not brave they must have their last cream eclaire and go for the obvious Robin and Ted even though everything leading from season 2 makes that pairing not at all make sense!

he is still Ted. He is still the guy who told a woman he loved her on their very first date. Even after having lost the love of his life (not counting Robin, of course...) he is willing to leap in with full confidence. Which IS kind of nice
    I always thought the series when it evolved was better at changing Ted seeing how through his various relationships that don't get anywhere that he does change as a person, he changes his view of love and how that he should be a bit maturer then the head of flights of fancy but still have that aspect I mean the reason why it connected with me was because I was going through a similar change and I at once thought my perfect woman would be the checklist and we would all like the same things and hang out with friends but I found out that wasn't the case.

I don't know I still love the first 4 seasons of How I met Your Mother, as a comedy show, as a hangout show, as a show that actually was quite interestingly constructed, a show that made its dark emotional moments work surprisingly well. But as with all shows they get a bit old hat and aged and the writers just do lowest common denominator stuff.

I don't know I still love the first 4 seasons of How I met Your Mother, as a comedy show, as a hangout show, as a show that actually was quite interestingly constructed, a show that made its dark emotional moments work surprisingly well. But as with all shows they get a bit old hat and aged and the writers just do lowest common denominator stuff.
    Yeah. I am not sure at what point I stopped watching because it was funny and mostly started watching out of inertia and the occasional good emotional moment (I made the conscious decision when Marshall's father died, but I suspect it was before that).

And it at least tried to show he changed a bit. One of the themes of the later episodes was that he managed to work out with The Mother because he changed how he approached things, but I also have no idea how he changed as the Taco Hell arrived during the climactic scene where he convinced her to not walk away on their first date and I didn't care enough to rewind, but Bob Saget implied he did something different.

One thing that was interesting, and probably completely un-intentional, was that he really DID have to let go of Robin for a relationship to work. She basically disappeared after her and Barney got divorced and was never around, which raises a lot of questions as to how the kids knew who she was. It really looks like she left everyone's lives basically from The Wedding up until Ted's Wedding. Which also does a lot to point out how unimportant The Mother was, heh.

I am seriously starting to suspect I may have been watching because I like Bob Saget...