Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 3106
Thread: What TV shows are you watching?
01-04-2014, 05:26 PM #2321
On your third point: I think he just didn't want to talk about it, for some reason. Maybe shame. She wouldn't have dropped her stuff on the ground had she left voluntarily. I think he gave up because he realized that tracking a car on foot isn't easy, especially when he reached a crossroad without clear indication of where it was going.
Also, I must say that I'm glad that they let little psycho girl go (the writers, that is, not Carol). (I've watched the last few episodes more or less back-to-back.) That storyline never did anything but annoy me, although it had some potential.
01-04-2014, 06:26 PM #2322
Also I finished Farscape and the Peacekeeper Wars. Still sad it wasn't a full season 5.
01-04-2014, 10:41 PM #2323
So Farscape series 3 then. Spoiler filled thoughts ahead
1) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
2) I got the Scorpius backstory I was looking for. Obviously from his perspective but actually I'm willing to take it at more or less face value. Also love how his controlled manner makes his moments of rage towards the end of the series more threatening.
3) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
4) Liked the whole double Crichton thing (didn't go how I expected either, I was anticipating them reuniting and having a big conflict over Aeryn). Loved the cheesy music during the passionate moments between John/Aeryn. Ultimately turned out to be a bit of an elaborate contrivance to reset that relationship but as contrivances go it was an enjoyable one.
5) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
6) D'Argo is still the best (apart from Scorpius), especially imaginary D'Argo. I guess you could accuse Loony Tunes D'Argo as laziness but I love Loony Tunes so much that he was also delightful.
7) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
8) As well as the aforementioned Looney Tunes episode there were some great individual episodes, my favourite of which was using the episode before the climactic events of the show to imagine what would happen if you put the two most manipulative characters on the show in Scorpius and Rygel and then stuck them into a madcap version of Pulp Fiction's diner scene whilst trying to outmanoeuvre each other. Brilliant.
9) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
10) Bits and bobs: Climax was good Crais going down reminded me somewhat of Mason in season 2 of 24, he's still a bit of a berk but a redeemed berk. Glad they pulled the Zhaan/Aeryn death swicheroo, Aeryn was increasingly becoming the heart and soul of the show and I'd really felt in the second season that they were running out of ideas for Zhaan. Stark was a nice replacement for Chiana's more madcap side (as she matured and now appears to be some sort of psychic, not sure whether that's a Nebari thing or a consequence of her being taken over by the energy rider or what, guess next season will provide answers). However why did they feel the need to have Zhaan's old medic/science duties go to . . .
11) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
She really, really is. Tits, whining and screaming. That's it. That's all she's got. Upthread I mentioned finding the initial crew (particularly Crichton) to be irritating at first but they all grew somewhere. Jool's character has shown next to no hidden depths as yet, which is a shame on a show which typically has had some fantastic characters. Really not sure what they were thinking; the only real saving grace is how satisfying it was whenever Chiana snapped and punched her. I should not be visibly cheering one of a shows "goodies" being punched! Hope she remains fairly in the background or somehow develops an actual character in the next series.
01-04-2014, 11:37 PM #2324
I always liked the cartoon episode. I know a lot of people don't, but I think it was great, especially as a curve after how serious it got with the previous episode. There's a similar styled episode earlyish on in S4. It highlights how bat-shit insane Farscape can get. Interesting note about both episodes: Claudia Black gets to make stupid accents in both.
02-04-2014, 03:01 AM #2325
02-04-2014, 10:24 AM #2326Ultimately turned out to be a bit of an elaborate contrivance to reset that relationship but as contrivances go it was an enjoyable one.
As well as the aforementioned Looney Tunes episode there were some great individual episodes, my favourite of which was using the episode before the climactic events of the show to imagine what would happen if you put the two most manipulative characters on the show in Scorpius and Rygel and then stuck them into a madcap version of Pulp Fiction's diner scene whilst trying to outmanoeuvre each other. Brilliant.
Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
Rev is back on our British screens and its as quietly good and funny as always. The episode had the poor Adam try and compete with a Muslim Imam in raising money. It doesn't go well as the Imam obviously has more people and is better. What I love about the show is the characters are really great I mean the Imam character could have been a stereotype but he was really entertaining, was a little smug but you couldn't help but like him. Also the little jokes and moments are just wonderful.
Adam: I've always found that man somewhat smug
Colin: You would be smug if you could have four wives
02-04-2014, 01:41 PM #2327
Rev is great, quietly good is a perfectly description of it.
Farscape Season 3 is brilliant, the duplicate arc is just really well done. It would have been a one off thing in Star Trek (evil Data, evil Riker, etc.) but they really went into it and looked at the psychology of what a fucking insane thing to happen that'd be.
I also loved the Season 3 episode with the mind squid, if only for D'Argo going "I'm your Daddy!". I also really like the razlac episode, though it doesn't seem that popular, it was pretty funny.
03-04-2014, 08:17 AM #2328
As far as How I Met your Mother finale, I agree with both. I actually did like the theme and the message, how love is messy and you don't always get happy endings but... it was all just too rushed and hamfisted in the end. The last 10 minutes should have been the last whole season.
On another note, I just started on the second season of Community and enjoying the show more and more. Love all the self-referential humor and constant allusions to the entertainment industry.
03-04-2014, 09:40 AM #2329
A very interesting look at the finale by Film Crit Hulk, also goes and talks about a few other finales. http://badassdigest.com/2014/04/02/f...re-of-finales/
Actually interesting that he thought the Show was about the same thing I did, the maturing of a viewpoint that love is about more then "The One" and saying that the finale actually makes that statement clearly...which means I might have to watch it again.
Or there's this finale:
Which actually to me seems good as well...I don't know maybe I am one of those people looking at it wrong and want the sappy ending that goes against the show.
Also I've been reading up on Farscape a lot and have to say I quite like the freedom the writers had and how they always tried to experiment. I feel that is probably the way to go for TV Series in that yes maybe have a loose plan but also go where the characters and the story takes you. Funnily enough I'm learning that GMing Dungeon World as well.
03-04-2014, 09:59 AM #2330
Currently watching HBO's Rome which is very, uh, HBO. I'm also quite familiar with that particular time period so it's almost like watching Game of Thrones when you're a reader. In fact, it's really quite a lot like GoT but everything's a bit cheaper. Still a decent enough substitute though.
I also watched the first two episodes of Arrow which feels and looks quite cheap but it's not really bad. It seems like some relic from the 90s though. Everyone looks like they just came from a photoshoot. Bloodless carnage every episode. Billionaire playboy at day and superhero at night is great if you're a lazy writer but nowadays it seems rather comical.
They also seem to make an awful lot of episodes. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with this one.New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2
to wound the autumnal city.
03-04-2014, 11:09 AM #2331
However, I do know how I feel about season 2 of Community. It may be my favourite season of anything. Community is one of my favourite shows, but season 2 was its finest hour so far. Consistent awesomeness.
03-04-2014, 11:20 AM #2332
03-04-2014, 04:04 PM #2333
Community is among my favourite televison. Be prepared for it to go a little wonky in season 3 and then turn into a dull approximation of itself in season 4 - but season 5 is a glorious return to form and so, so worth it.
03-04-2014, 04:17 PM #2334
I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head (give me time), but the showrunners had the right idea, they just failed to execute it.
Last edited by gundato; 03-04-2014 at 04:19 PM.Steam: Gundato
If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.
03-04-2014, 04:34 PM #2335
community's fourth season was definitely subpar when compared to 1-3 and 5. still it was great by itself.
what i did not like was Kevin's story. it was fun for half an episode. later on it felt forced and underdeveloped.
and episode with convention was bad (except Pierce fucking up)
but then we got a christmas episode which was hilarious or the one with germans which i also loved.
so its all balanced out.
03-04-2014, 05:30 PM #2336
Personally, I'd rank the Community seasons (best to worst): 2, 1, 3, 5 (although not done yet), 4. 4 is definitely not bad, it's just not as good as the other seasons and tends to be a bit formulaic/derivative. Season 3 is rather uneven, but contains some of the very best episodes of the show, so far.
So, six seasons and a movie, eh?
03-04-2014, 07:26 PM #2337
Yeah I'd agree season 5 is not among the best. Still very good but a succession of B+ episodes without the classics of seasons 1-3. In fairness seems it was pretty rushed to get Harmon back, pull a writing stuff together then deal with Glover leaving.
03-04-2014, 07:30 PM #2338
04-04-2014, 01:13 PM #2339
Vikings,season 2 first episode. They ruined main character for me with that pregnant women bullshit,poor wife..
04-04-2014, 01:36 PM #2340