Page 117 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 3159
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Great season finale for Walking Dead though. I especially liked (spoilers):
    • The time taken between Daryl seeing Rick and weighing up his allegiances? Literally zero seconds. Awesome. Some drama should not be forced.
    • Rick doing whatever it takes. Jeez, that was the most uncomfortable, brutal scene I've sat through on TV in a while. And I've been watching Hannibal and True Detective lately!
    • Daryl seems to believe Beth was driving that car or something? It at least explain why he's not so focussed on finding her.
    • Michonne and Carl are the best characters now, especially together.
    • The writers have chosen not to patronise us and hinge any kind of suspence on the residents of Terminus' true intentions.
    • Terminus wasn't hastily wrapped up in a single episode, but looks to be our setting for a little while at least.
    • Burned photograph be damned! Glenn and Maggie both made it through the season alive.
    Agreed. I must say, I really appreciated that the cannibalism was only implied. The show does tend to show us what's going on a couple of times and then outright telling us, just in case anyone doesn't follow. Although, using my psychic mind powers, I guessed how it would turn out a few episodes ago. I liked the episode, but my God, that final line...

On your third point: I think he just didn't want to talk about it, for some reason. Maybe shame. She wouldn't have dropped her stuff on the ground had she left voluntarily. I think he gave up because he realized that tracking a car on foot isn't easy, especially when he reached a crossroad without clear indication of where it was going.

Also, I must say that I'm glad that they let little psycho girl go (the writers, that is, not Carol). (I've watched the last few episodes more or less back-to-back.) That storyline never did anything but annoy me, although it had some potential.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Veep is the American version of The Thick of It. Iannucci knew Malcom Tucker wouldn't fly on the states, so he's replaced by a very young guy, keeping up with the theme. Of course he's repulsively trying to fuck every woman, and failing hilariously. The writing is as sharp and biting as TToI, minus the swearing. When they do swear, it sounds wrong. Damn prudes.
    The main character is the vice-president, which means she absolutely no power whatsoever, and occupies the same political space as the original ministry, it's just a dumpster for policies nobody cares. Julia-Louis-Dreyfus nails it, since it's not very different from her character in Seinfeld.
    Most of the supporting cast is just like the original, but none of the characters are carbon-copies of TToI. They are different, but still incompetent fuckwits.
    The new, and best, addition to the cast is the VP's daughter. This allows the series to explore different themes that rarely have expression in the UK, like how the families cope with the pressure of public office. She's basically the Straight Man to all the other people, always being ignored and, at most, used by her mother to get good photo-ops. Basically, we get a Woobie to get jerked around, whose first scene is asking a guy if he ever read Faulkner, and he just makes that face "Suuure..." and dives into his phone.

All in all, different but still great.
    It's a great show. From what I understand most of the actor's in it are comedians or at least comedy actors so they still use a lot of improvisation in the same way they did with The Thick of It. Which is how to do an American version, create the same working atmosphere and let the American cast create their own take on it.

Also I finished Farscape and the Peacekeeper Wars. Still sad it wasn't a full season 5.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    So Farscape series 3 then. Spoiler filled thoughts ahead

1) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?

2) I got the Scorpius backstory I was looking for. Obviously from his perspective but actually I'm willing to take it at more or less face value. Also love how his controlled manner makes his moments of rage towards the end of the series more threatening.

3) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?

4) Liked the whole double Crichton thing (didn't go how I expected either, I was anticipating them reuniting and having a big conflict over Aeryn). Loved the cheesy music during the passionate moments between John/Aeryn. Ultimately turned out to be a bit of an elaborate contrivance to reset that relationship but as contrivances go it was an enjoyable one.

5) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?

6) D'Argo is still the best (apart from Scorpius), especially imaginary D'Argo. I guess you could accuse Loony Tunes D'Argo as laziness but I love Loony Tunes so much that he was also delightful.

7) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?

8) As well as the aforementioned Looney Tunes episode there were some great individual episodes, my favourite of which was using the episode before the climactic events of the show to imagine what would happen if you put the two most manipulative characters on the show in Scorpius and Rygel and then stuck them into a madcap version of Pulp Fiction's diner scene whilst trying to outmanoeuvre each other. Brilliant.

9) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?

10) Bits and bobs: Climax was good Crais going down reminded me somewhat of Mason in season 2 of 24, he's still a bit of a berk but a redeemed berk. Glad they pulled the Zhaan/Aeryn death swicheroo, Aeryn was increasingly becoming the heart and soul of the show and I'd really felt in the second season that they were running out of ideas for Zhaan. Stark was a nice replacement for Chiana's more madcap side (as she matured and now appears to be some sort of psychic, not sure whether that's a Nebari thing or a consequence of her being taken over by the energy rider or what, guess next season will provide answers). However why did they feel the need to have Zhaan's old medic/science duties go to . . .

11) Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?

She really, really is. Tits, whining and screaming. That's it. That's all she's got. Upthread I mentioned finding the initial crew (particularly Crichton) to be irritating at first but they all grew somewhere. Jool's character has shown next to no hidden depths as yet, which is a shame on a show which typically has had some fantastic characters. Really not sure what they were thinking; the only real saving grace is how satisfying it was whenever Chiana snapped and punched her. I should not be visibly cheering one of a shows "goodies" being punched! Hope she remains fairly in the background or somehow develops an actual character in the next series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I always liked the cartoon episode. I know a lot of people don't, but I think it was great, especially as a curve after how serious it got with the previous episode. There's a similar styled episode earlyish on in S4. It highlights how bat-shit insane Farscape can get. Interesting note about both episodes: Claudia Black gets to make stupid accents in both.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Veep Season 2 Episode 1, directed by Chris Morris.
    Elaine throws lipstick into the boss from Office Space's face, while in the oval office, and they ruin that eagle carpet. Priceless.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Ultimately turned out to be a bit of an elaborate contrivance to reset that relationship but as contrivances go it was an enjoyable one.
    Yeah I thought it was a way for the writers to have Aeryn and Crichton to have a relationship, have a heroic death for Crichton and still be able to reset it easily. Which wasn't actually that bad, I thought it was weird that the horror episode was the start of that whole story arc

As well as the aforementioned Looney Tunes episode there were some great individual episodes, my favourite of which was using the episode before the climactic events of the show to imagine what would happen if you put the two most manipulative characters on the show in Scorpius and Rygel and then stuck them into a madcap version of Pulp Fiction's diner scene whilst trying to outmanoeuvre each other. Brilliant.
    I know right! It was a pairing that I wouldn't of thought of but makes so much sense and was so entertaining! I kind of wished we would have had more in later seasons but unfortunately not...

Bloody hell, Jool is really irritating isn't she?
    Ergh I have no idea what the writers were going for with that character, its not a good sign when the one note of the character is that she screams a lot, but underneath that is a spoilt princess type. Thankfully they drop her off quite early on in the next Season. I would be interested in what your thoughts of her replacement are.

Rev is back on our British screens and its as quietly good and funny as always. The episode had the poor Adam try and compete with a Muslim Imam in raising money. It doesn't go well as the Imam obviously has more people and is better. What I love about the show is the characters are really great I mean the Imam character could have been a stereotype but he was really entertaining, was a little smug but you couldn't help but like him. Also the little jokes and moments are just wonderful.

Adam: I've always found that man somewhat smug
    Colin: You would be smug if you could have four wives

Rev is great, quietly good is a perfectly description of it.

Farscape Season 3 is brilliant, the duplicate arc is just really well done. It would have been a one off thing in Star Trek (evil Data, evil Riker, etc.) but they really went into it and looked at the psychology of what a fucking insane thing to happen that'd be.

I also loved the Season 3 episode with the mind squid, if only for D'Argo going "I'm your Daddy!". I also really like the razlac episode, though it doesn't seem that popular, it was pretty funny.

As far as How I Met your Mother finale, I agree with both. I actually did like the theme and the message, how love is messy and you don't always get happy endings but... it was all just too rushed and hamfisted in the end. The last 10 minutes should have been the last whole season.

On another note, I just started on the second season of Community and enjoying the show more and more. Love all the self-referential humor and constant allusions to the entertainment industry.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    A very interesting look at the finale by Film Crit Hulk, also goes and talks about a few other finales. http://badassdigest.com/2014/04/02/f...re-of-finales/

Actually interesting that he thought the Show was about the same thing I did, the maturing of a viewpoint that love is about more then "The One" and saying that the finale actually makes that statement clearly...which means I might have to watch it again.

Or there's this finale:

Which actually to me seems good as well...I don't know maybe I am one of those people looking at it wrong and want the sappy ending that goes against the show.

Also I've been reading up on Farscape a lot and have to say I quite like the freedom the writers had and how they always tried to experiment. I feel that is probably the way to go for TV Series in that yes maybe have a loose plan but also go where the characters and the story takes you. Funnily enough I'm learning that GMing Dungeon World as well.

Currently watching HBO's Rome which is very, uh, HBO. I'm also quite familiar with that particular time period so it's almost like watching Game of Thrones when you're a reader. In fact, it's really quite a lot like GoT but everything's a bit cheaper. Still a decent enough substitute though.

I also watched the first two episodes of Arrow which feels and looks quite cheap but it's not really bad. It seems like some relic from the 90s though. Everyone looks like they just came from a photoshoot. Bloodless carnage every episode. Billionaire playboy at day and superhero at night is great if you're a lazy writer but nowadays it seems rather comical.
    They also seem to make an awful lot of episodes. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with this one.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    As far as How I Met your Mother finale, I agree with both. I actually did like the theme and the message, how love is messy and you don't always get happy endings but... it was all just too rushed and hamfisted in the end. The last 10 minutes should have been the last whole season.

On another note, I just started on the second season of Community and enjoying the show more and more. Love all the self-referential humor and constant allusions to the entertainment industry.
    I really can't seem to make up my mind about the HIMYM finale, but I really don't feel like watching it again, so it'll probably stay that way.

However, I do know how I feel about season 2 of Community. It may be my favourite season of anything. Community is one of my favourite shows, but season 2 was its finest hour so far. Consistent awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Currently watching HBO's Rome which is very, uh, HBO. I'm also quite familiar with that particular time period so it's almost like watching Game of Thrones when you're a reader. In fact, it's really quite a lot like GoT but everything's a bit cheaper. Still a decent enough substitute though.
    I really liked Rome. Sure, it took liberties with historic facts (to the extent that anything from that period can be considered "fact"), but it really captured the feeling and atmosphere. The story and characters were great, although the second season wasn't as strong as the first one. I wish they'd gotten a few more seasons, like they wanted, so that they didn't have to rush through things so quickly. Still, great show.

The best thing to do is imagine it's a prequel to I, Claudius. Which was written by Robert Graves, who's translations of Suetonius is still the main go to English source for the 12 Caesars. It takes total liberties with history, but in a way that is believable, based on how the Roman's themselves loved scandals and rumour mongering. So it still really captures the period well I feel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Community is among my favourite televison. Be prepared for it to go a little wonky in season 3 and then turn into a dull approximation of itself in season 4 - but season 5 is a glorious return to form and so, so worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I really can't seem to make up my mind about the HIMYM finale, but I really don't feel like watching it again, so it'll probably stay that way.
    I went from "This is pretty poo-poo" to "This was handled in a very poo-poo fashion, but it is probably a good finale. Except for the last three or four minutes, which are still poo-poo"

I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head (give me time), but the showrunners had the right idea, they just failed to execute it.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Community is among my favourite televison. Be prepared for it to go a little wonky in season 3 and then turn into a dull approximation of itself in season 4 - but season 5 is a glorious return to form and so, so worth it.
    I'll definitely agree with this. But people give Season 4 a LOT more shit than it deserves, in large part due to fanboyism. Yeah, it wasn't great, but there were still some pretty good episodes and a lot of what it got wrong were things that were started in Season 3 and probably still would have been horrible, even if Dan Harmon were there.
    Last edited by gundato; 03-04-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    community's fourth season was definitely subpar when compared to 1-3 and 5. still it was great by itself.
    what i did not like was Kevin's story. it was fun for half an episode. later on it felt forced and underdeveloped.
    and episode with convention was bad (except Pierce fucking up)
    but then we got a christmas episode which was hilarious or the one with germans which i also loved.
    so its all balanced out.

Personally, I'd rank the Community seasons (best to worst): 2, 1, 3, 5 (although not done yet), 4. 4 is definitely not bad, it's just not as good as the other seasons and tends to be a bit formulaic/derivative. Season 3 is rather uneven, but contains some of the very best episodes of the show, so far.

So, six seasons and a movie, eh?

Yeah I'd agree season 5 is not among the best. Still very good but a succession of B+ episodes without the classics of seasons 1-3. In fairness seems it was pretty rushed to get Harmon back, pull a writing stuff together then deal with Glover leaving.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Fans of Dan Harmon should check out the animated series he co-created that's been running on the Cartoon Network, Rick and Morty. It's a take on Marty McFly/Doc Brown that's truly twisted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Vikings,season 2 first episode. They ruined main character for me with that pregnant women bullshit,poor wife..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I also watched the first two episodes of Arrow which feels and looks quite cheap but it's not really bad. It seems like some relic from the 90s though. Everyone looks like they just came from a photoshoot. Bloodless carnage every episode. Billionaire playboy at day and superhero at night is great if you're a lazy writer but nowadays it seems rather comical.
    They also seem to make an awful lot of episodes. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with this one.
    It gets worse before it gets better, but it gets a lot better.