Page 118 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 3096
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    It gets worse before it gets better, but it gets a lot better.
    yeah, I ended up rather enjoying it (even if I did feel I shouldn't, but I suspect that's a personal hangup). Season 2 is a bit iffy, though.

Now trying to make my way through season 1 of Deep Space 9. It's slow going and most of the acting is really rather poor which doesn't help. Since the series lasted quite some seasons I'm hoping it gets better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The Americans is about half way through now and is getting really good. It s starting to make all the characters un anchroed and drifting not knowing what they are fighting for and getting very emotional about certain stuff. Last episode it was really uncomfortable hearing someone crying and screaming about not wanting to be captured and taken away from their family it was pretty tragic and brutal. But then this episode did something worse with sexual roleplay between the main characters going completly wrong and that being even more uncomfortable. Also side characters getting into sticky situations.

The gay wedding episode of Rev is why I love this show little funny moments but also delving into the sadness of not being able to do something you personally believe in because the church doesnt believe in amd adam trying to come to a compromise but it not pleasing anybody. The last shot then is a great hurrah moment. Pretty good stuff.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    yeah, I ended up rather enjoying it (even if I did feel I shouldn't, but I suspect that's a personal hangup). Season 2 is a bit iffy, though.
    Agreed about season 2, but still the best live action superhero show on television (not much competition, I know). Some of the fight scenes are very good

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    So finished watching Farscape thoughts on season 4 and Peacekeeper Wars below:

I rather enjoyed season 4, felt it took a little while to get into its stride but once it got going it was as excellent as ever, the excursion to Earth could have been terrible but wasn't (plus it led to the excellent episode of the TV show within the show, which really worked nicely).

I liked both the new characters, Noranti took quite a while to grow on me given that I felt that the confusion nature of her sudden appearance at the tail end of series 3 and her contribution to some of the more muddled plot lines at the start of series 4 put me off he, but once she was pushed a bit more from the foreground her character worked well, and in a bit of a turnaround I felt she was underutilised towards the end.

Sukozu was a nice introduction as it was good to have someone else other than Scorpius whose motivations weren't entirely clear. Sadly the reveal of her motivations at the end of series four was a bit muddled and the resolution of her and Scoripus' relationship (which had been rather interesting) rather rushed in the Peacekeeper Wars, presumably due to time constraints.

Pros: John/Aeryn getting together, John's ridiculous plan of strapping himself to a bomb, Braca's journey from
    obsequious lickspittle to . . . well still a lickspittle but at least a loyal one whose actually a bit of a badass and it's nice for Scorpius to have a friend, Rygel's pregnancy, Scorpius again being the arch-manipulator, the return of Stark, some pretty damn good battle scenes., D'Argo in general, the Eidolon's not being a magical solution to everything.

Cons: D'Argo :-(, trading Chianna's powers to the oh so convenient seeing through walls thing felt contrived, no time to delve deeper into the Nebari's plans who felt like they could have been the next big threat after the Scarran/Peacekeeper war, the Eidolon's being such a major part of the end which would have worked over a series but felt a bit rushed over the length of the Peacekeeper Wars, Einstein is a bit too deus ex machina but at least was part of an established plot thread.

All in all thoroughly enjoyable and most of the things throughout the course of the show that I wasn't so keen on were vastly outnumbered by moments of awesomeness and the show's ability to veer between being heartfelt, to tense to not taking itself seriously with gleeful abandon.

I see there's rumours of a TV movie in the works but from what has been suggested may be the plot it sounds like it could be a bit lame, guess we'll have to wait and see whether it even happens first.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Vikings,season 2 first episode. They ruined main character for me with that pregnant women bullshit,poor wife..
    They are following Historical sources and/or the legends. Ragnar Leatherpants was married thrice, according to the Sagas and other sources. And, it all goes back to what he thinks the Gods want of/for him, from the first episode or so... that he'll have lots of Sons. Sons that Lagertha isn't providing. Sons which, incidentally, are the Sons of Ragnar that Crusader Kings 2 Old Gods DLC introduce as the Norse/Pagan starts.

I've been watching Season 2 as well, after enjoying Season 1. It's not the greatest show on Earth or anything (I'll get to that in a moment), but it does a lot right. I like that they're going for a decent amount of "history" in it, it's not too sensationalised and/or Hollywoodised - they use a lot of authentic languages, they're not shying away from a lot of the brutality committed, they are following the historical sources, to an extent. I've been especially impressed with the battle scenes, those in Season 2 even more so than the 1st. I haven't watched the most recent episode (number 6), though I saw the preview for it... and, I am beginning to get a bit tired of the constant back and forth between Jarl Borg and King Horik with Ragnar in the middle - "We're fighting, now we're friends, now we're fighting, now we're friends again, shall we fight again? Wait, we should be friends now I think." It's good fun though, and Travis Fimmel's eyes are pretty dreamy.

As for the greatest show on Earth, I did spend some of March re-watching Seasons 1-3 of Game of Thrones, in anticipation of Season 4, which starts in a little over 6 hours. I even had a lie in today, so I'll be awake at 2am for the simulcast between UK and US. I'm a book reader, and big fan, and think it's a fantastic job they've done so far... and from what I hear/see, they'll be doing as good a job, if not better, with Season 4. It's not a "perfect" adaptation, but, for me, that would be 20 2 hour episodes per Season, word-for-word translations of the books (Season 1 is surprisingly close to being that), along with all the "new" material that's been introduced for the show. But I think they've got the balance between a faithful adaptation/representation of the books and their unconventional approach to a lot, and a mainstream television show that's generated a massive following, massive interest, and massive amounts of money for HBO (which ensures each new season gets a massive amount of budget to spend). Casting is phenomenal, locations have been brilliant, sets are amazing, shit... I've even been reading articles about the costume design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Yeah looking forward to watching some Game of Thrones tomorrow.

Decided to see what the fuss was about with House of Cards in the meantime. Not sure what I think of after the first episode. It's nicely shot and I like the thing with the little asides but I'm not keen how that style of dialogue bleeds into the rest of the dialogue, can't help but feel it makes conversations sound weirdly unnatural (even by TV standards). Will give it another couple of episodes to see if I get used to it or it's intriguing enough to hook me but I'm definitely on the fence after episode 1.

May give True Detective a shot instead, sounds like it could be down my alley.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 06-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.

I know people love to hate Aaron Sorkin shows, but goddamn, he can't half subvert your expectations. The Santorum interview scene leads you to believe Will is on the side of right, and because he can't keep his mouth shut he suddenly becomes the villain of the piece. Nobody's happy by the end of this.

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Yeah looking forward to watching some Game of Thrones tomorrow.

Decided to see what the fuss was about with House of Cards in the meantime. Not sure what I think of after the first episode. It's nicely shot and I like the thing with the little asides but I'm not keen how that style of dialogue bleeds into the rest of the dialogue, can't help but feel it makes conversations sound weirdly unnatural (even by TV standards). Will give it another couple of episodes to see if I get used to it or it's intriguing enough to hook me but I'm definitely on the fence after episode 1.

May give True Detective a shot instead, sounds like it could be down my alley.
    Season 1 of HoC sucks, full stop. 2 was a pleasant surprise, though, enough of one to have me looking forward to next season.

So I've watched the first five episodes of Orange is The New Black and have to say its a much better Netflix orginal then House Of Cards is! The characters are greatly drawn and for a prison series it actually focuses on uplifting drama and comedy stories and you get a feel of a great character sitcom but also with a nice meaty what is inside these characters drama. It actually reminds me a lot like Lost Season 1 it doesn't have the mystery but the way it uses flashbacks and the way it is kind of about the redemption/growing of these characters through the survival of a prison system and the hope people grab onto definitely gives me Lostian vibes.

Watched the first episode of True Detective and it's definitely won over HoC in the "which series will I watch next?" stakes. I do like a non chronological nested narrative structure and I do like a reasonably long form detective thing (which reminds me that I still haven't got around to series 3 of The Killing yet). Looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I agree with what Unaco said about Vikings (including not having watched episode 6), but I have to chime in with a little Hollywodization.

Firstly, it always cracks me up a bit when they switch location and just write "Scandinavia". I understand that it's hard to pinpoint a location, since it's not known for certain where Ragnar Lodbrok lived (or even if he lived) IIRC, but just saying "Scandinavia" is so wonderfully vague that I can't help but smile. I mean, they could at least write "Denmark" instead, since I'm pretty sure that's where he's supposedly from. However, this isn't really Hollywoodization, more like American geography, brought on by lacking information. (Also, Ragnar's home village, Kattegatt, isn't an actual place, but a part of the ocean. I do approve of that name, however, even though it's anachronistic and Dutch)

Secondly, being a citizen of the fabled Scandinavia, there is some definite Hollywoodization in the location. I mean, Ragnar's home area is portrayed as this harsh, mountainous wilderness, but Denmark is about as mountainous as a creased paper sheet. I suppose they're shooting for a more Norwegian look with fjords and mountain ranges, but that's taking liberties for visual impact.

Still, this is just me being picky. I would probably not even think twice about these things, were it not for the fact that most other things are portrayed so carefully. The languages are a nice flavour, even though I have no idea how well it's done. The fact that they pronounce Götaland, where jarl Borg and I are from, with a soft G shows that they not only try to stick with the correct names and words, but actually take care to say them right, as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I agree with what Unaco said about Vikings (including not having watched episode 6), but I have to chime in with a little Hollywodization.
    I was debugging a C program the other day, using Valgrind. I tried to impress my workmate, telling him that it was the name of the gate to Valhalla, and he said he already knew that, he watched Vikings.
    When he told me they didn't use pointy helmets and it was created by the BBC it immediately jumped on my Watchlist. From the feeble semi-adverts I watched it seemed like a poor-man's GoT or some HBO nonsense.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    In honor of Captain America 2 being so good AND giving a plausible excuse for why Agents of SHIELD was so horrifyingly bad during the first half-season, I decided to give the second half-season a shot.

It still isn't particularly good, but I like where they are going and the showrunners seem to have a much better idea of how to make it a Marvel TV show. It is more Brubaker than Bendis, but considering it is supposed to be a spy show, that is a good thing. That being said, I still don't think Team Whedon was a good fit for this kind of show. But the changes coming next year should resolve that issue.

Also, Bill Paxton needs to become a regular or, better yet, get his own show. His Agent Garrett works wonderful as a "Too old for this shit" SHIELD agent. The scene where he bonds with Ms Annoyingly Useless Pants is perfect: It basically consists of him, in an incredibly sleazy fashion, bragging about the wounds he has suffered in the line of duty and telling her that the wounds she suffered are some of the worst he ever had. The dialogue is weak, but Paxton delivers it and makes it work. The actress of Ms Annoyingly Useless Pants... not so much.

Also, J August Richards (Gunn) works as a more sympathetic version of Deathlok/Bushwhacker.

At this point, the Will-They-Won't-They labrats are actually somewhat entertaining, Captain Cardboard is annoying but downplayed, Coulson is okay (Clark Gregg isn't a leading man), and the showrunners realized Ming Na is actually a good actress. "Skye" should just get thrown off the plane, but I sadly don't see that happening.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I was debugging a C program the other day, using Valgrind. I tried to impress my workmate, telling him that it was the name of the gate to Valhalla, and he said he already knew that, he watched Vikings.
    When he told me they didn't use pointy helmets and it was created by the BBC it immediately jumped on my Watchlist. From the feeble semi-adverts I watched it seemed like a poor-man's GoT or some HBO nonsense.
    If you like the genre, I'd recommend giving it a shot. I think History Channel is behind the show, not BBC. Of course, you shouldn't watch it as a documentary series, but it does offer some level of education as well as entertainment. The old Norse peoples were notoriously bad at keeping records, so a proper historic series would be very hard to achieve. Even what we do know about vikings and the Norse way of life is occasionally ignored by the show, but it steers clear of many of the pitfalls and stereotypes.

Poor man's GoT might not be a bad description, but it sounds more negative than I think Vikings deserves.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    In honor of Captain America 2 being so good AND giving a plausible excuse for why Agents of SHIELD was so horrifyingly bad during the first half-season, I decided to give the second half-season a shot.

It still isn't particularly good, but I like where they are going and the showrunners seem to have a much better idea of how to make it a Marvel TV show.
    Agreed for most parts. The pace of the show feels off for some reason. Every time my wife and I sit down to watch, we get through the first half and then fast forward through the commercials, see how much time is left in the episode, and then remark, "oh man, this show is long." That's not a good sign.

Not just the pacing is off. The show can alternate between cloying father/daughter bonding moments and inhumane acts. The moral compass is bizarro. For example (spoilers): The supposed "good guy" SHIELD protagonists broke into what is probably a government base and killed the guards there just to have a chance at finding something miraculous to heal their teammate. They basically traded the life of two strangers for their little Skye. Since they weren't authorized to be there, and since the guards weren't given a correct pass code, the guards had no choice but to follow orders and defend the site. It is not heroic to kill people who might be on your side. Also, the good Captain Cardboard straight up shot and killed an unarmed suspect because "he pushed all the right buttons." No, sir, he did not push your trigger finger. You did that. And what happened to the agent that murdered in cold blood? He was put in time out for a brief moment. When my daughter misbehaves we put her in the corner for two and a half minutes. That's about as long as they spent to focus on his atrocious act. The whole show is building up to how SHIELD maybe isn't such a benevolent organization. If the agents that serve as the protagonists are supposed to be the best and most heroic then I can only imagine how awful the rest of the agency is. Corruption should come as no surprise.

Skye isn't useless -- she's the "magic ultimate hacker" archetype -- but the other characters treat her like she's the most important person -- "the chosen one" -- as well, and that's the annoying part. She melts all their hearts and comes across as a Mary Sue.

Finally, I cannot stand to hear the words "The Clairvoyant" ever again. Every 5 seconds... "The Clairvoyant" this. "The Clairvoyant" that. Fricking annoying.

But yes, the show is getting a little better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Agreed for most parts. The pace of the show feels off for some reason. Every time my wife and I sit down to watch, we get through the first half and then fast forward through the commercials, see how much time is left in the episode, and then remark, "oh man, this show is long." That's not a good sign.

Not just the pacing is off. The show can alternate between cloying father/daughter bonding moments and inhumane acts. The moral compass is bizarro. For example (spoilers): The supposed "good guy" SHIELD protagonists broke into what is probably a government base and killed the guards there just to have a chance at finding something miraculous to heal their teammate. They basically traded the life of two strangers for their little Skye. Since they weren't authorized to be there, and since the guards weren't given a correct pass code, the guards had no choice but to follow orders and defend the site. It is not heroic to kill people who might be on your side. Also, the good Captain Cardboard straight up shot and killed an unarmed suspect because "he pushed all the right buttons." No, sir, he did not push your trigger finger. You did that. And what happened to the agent that murdered in cold blood? He was put in time out for a brief moment. When my daughter misbehaves we put her in the corner for two and a half minutes. That's about as long as they spent to focus on his atrocious act. The whole show is building up to how SHIELD maybe isn't such a benevolent organization. If the agents that serve as the protagonists are supposed to be the best and most heroic then I can only imagine how awful the rest of the agency is. Corruption should come as no surprise.

Skye isn't useless -- she's the "magic ultimate hacker" archetype -- but the other characters treat her like she's the most important person -- "the chosen one" -- as well, and that's the annoying part. She melts all their hearts and comes across as a Mary Sue.

Finally, I cannot stand to hear the words "The Clairvoyant" ever again. Every 5 seconds... "The Clairvoyant" this. "The Clairvoyant" that. Fricking annoying.

But yes, the show is getting a little better.
    Yeah, there are still a lot of serious tone issues, which is why I really don't think Team Whedon is a good fit for this show: Basically, they are (likely) very liberal writers trying to write a government organization. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but it comes across as what a stereotypical liberal thinks of government agents: Nazis! Which is why even the "good guys" are all about screwing privacy and murdering anyone who gets in their way. It is basically the same problem Marvel had with their Civil War storyline. What was meant to be a story where both sides had merit ended up being "Everyone Against George Bu-Err, Tony Stark". There are plenty of writers who can handle views and perspectives they may not fully agree with, but Team Whedon has always had a problem depicting the government as anything other than shadowy mass murderers... And those are the protagonists this time...

And the problem with Ms Annoying Pants being the hacker is that the show went out of its way to establish that she wasn't needed. In the past few episodes they kept having sequences where the rest of the team would hack something or bypass something anyway because she wasn't available. It was meant to be a "Oh noes, we don't have the useless one with us. What will we do?" but comes across as "So... why did they need her?"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    If you like the genre, I'd recommend giving it a shot. I think History Channel is behind the show, not BBC. Of course, you shouldn't watch it as a documentary series, but it does offer some level of education as well as entertainment. The old Norse peoples were notoriously bad at keeping records, so a proper historic series would be very hard to achieve. Even what we do know about vikings and the Norse way of life is occasionally ignored by the show, but it steers clear of many of the pitfalls and stereotypes.

Poor man's GoT might not be a bad description, but it sounds more negative than I think Vikings deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMDb
    World 2000 Entertainment
    Take 5 Productions
    Shaw Media (in association with)
    Irish Film Board (funding)
    Irish and Canadian, apparently. The History Channel was the distributor in the US.
    Well, it's not a documentary, but at least it's a bit more rooted in reality that usual. I'll check it out, eventually.

As for Veep, I finished the second season and I liked it a lot. Sure, it's not TToI, but it's still very enjoyable. Still sharp on the wit, the acting is great, and the overall mood is practically the same. Just a bit more toothless politically, but that's the US for you.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    Maybe I'm dense, but I'm kind of intrigued by that Last Ship thing that starts this Summer.

Good Season 4 Premier of Game Of Thrones, pretty much doing what premičres do, get the plates spinning, do some nice visual explanation and foreshadowing of where the stories are going to go, and end on a bad ass scene and also a quite terrifying scene of the Hound and Arya.