Page 131 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 2925
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I have one question about Twin Peaks I'm hoping someone can help me with by providing an answer.

What the actual fuck?

Thanks.

----

So I'm one episode past The Reveal. I...really don't know what to make of it all. I feel like the show is so bat-shit insane anyhow that the resolution to the murder makes sense in-context, but I'm no longer sure what the context is. It goes completely off the rails. The build-up was captivating, but I just don't really know how to process the information. [Massive spoilers ahead]So I like how they hint that it's Leland by having elements of his character demonstrated through other characters in the show, but there being an Evil Spirit that appears to have left his body and has probably entered Don S Davis' character or whatever just seems beyond. Then you have Katherine talking about a guardian angel and this show has felt like it's taken a turn from the surreal and absurd to the supernatural. I don't mind that, but it feels a little too stretched.[/spoilers]

A few other observations. I've never been in love with teenage drama; when I saw season 1 of Veronica Mars a few months ago it was the thing that I liked the least about the show, even though it made perfect sense in context. I think in TP it's an extension of the No-one Is Faithful line, but the stuff between Donna/James (?)/Maddy was just sorta dull. The new plot-line post resolution feels very contrived in one sense and perfectly logical in another. On the one hand, of course these accusations on Cooper make sense given everything that has happened thus far, but on the other it'd have been nice if there was some mention of it previously so that there was some expectation that we might see a follow-up later on. Now it's just like, "well, Cooper has done his job, but now we need to find a reason to keep him in Twin Peaks because we have more episodes left and he's the central character".

I know it's a complaint leveraged against season 2, but even before watching the ending I'm having real trouble trying to work out how they're going to spin out so many more episodes and it not feel like it's being dragged out. I don't think what I've watched of season 2 up to now has been very consistent either. For what I want(ed) out of Twin Peaks, if it were a single run of, say, 13 episodes (or British entire run length) I think it'd have been much stronger. It also doesn't help that as interesting characters go, no-one else comes remotely close to Cooper and Audrey.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Pretty average episode on this week's HBO series Game of Thrones, I thought, though it was good to see some more of the Night's Watch and their little corner of the world again. Daenerys' story is becoming a bit farcical, let's hope she's going to meet some real resistance soon.

My highlight of the episode was the little back-and-forth between Petyr Baelish and Sansa Stark.

Petyr: 'Who could trust a friend like that?'
    Sansa: 'Who could trust you?'
    Petyr: 'I don't want friends like me.'

Wasn't it said in a previous season that he'd watch the whole world burn if he could be king of the ashes? That guy is going places.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I know it's a complaint leveraged against season 2, but even before watching the ending I'm having real trouble trying to work out how they're going to spin out so many more episodes and it not feel like it's being dragged out.

It was dragged out totally I just gave up and just kind of watched the last few episodes because post reveal they really don't have anywhere to go.

but there being an Evil Spirit that appears to have left his body and has probably entered Don S Davis' character or whatever just seems beyond. Then you have Katherine talking about a guardian angel and this show has felt like it's taken a turn from the surreal and absurd to the supernatural. I don't mind that, but it feels a little too stretched.
    Yep I said this when I posted about the show but there is something about the Bob spirit being in Leland that I liked there was a weird metaphor about the evilness of humans that fit the show and the tone. But after that...yep went crazy and made it into a proper mythology which I think dilutes the thing it was meant to go for. And be warned it gets crazier with Native American symbols and secret government orders...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFiHair View Post
    How's Annie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    It was dragged out totally I just gave up and just kind of watched the last few episodes because post reveal they really don't have anywhere to go.
    Yep I said this when I posted about the show but there is something about the Bob spirit being in Leland that I liked there was a weird metaphor about the evilness of humans that fit the show and the tone. But after that...yep went crazy and made it into a proper mythology which I think dilutes the thing it was meant to go for. And be warned it gets crazier with Native American symbols and secret government orders...
    That's exactly my complaint too. If I were JG Man I would just abandon it right now.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I have one question about Twin Peaks I'm hoping someone can help me with by providing an answer.

What the actual fuck?
    "We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    If I were JG Man I would just abandon it right now.
    I can't. I've seen the episode post the reveal, I need to follow the plot-line now from here until Fire Walk With Me. Quality be damned, because at least I can complain about them on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    "We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."
    Literally just words!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I can't. I've seen the episode post the reveal, I need to follow the plot-line now from here until Fire Walk With Me. Quality be damned, because at least I can complain about them on here!
    Famous last words. The film is just dreadful, if I could I wouldn't have bothered.
    To be honest, I received the same advice and ignored, so...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Well im of the opinion that the last episode is bat shit insane enough and brings back the horror and disturbing elements to make it worth it. Also the episode with David Lynch coming back in an acting role is extremly entertaining just in a having fun with the characters sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Also the episode with David Lynch coming back in an acting role is extremly entertaining just in a having fun with the characters sense.
    That's true, all his scenes are great, particularly the ones with Shelly, even though it comes out of nowhere.

I'm starting Community

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    I'm starting Community
    a correct decision.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Watched through all of True Detective. A very good show, but I would've liked more explanation of what was going on and why the people who do the things they do are doing them other than "yeah, they do those things".
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Did they used a pair of tennis balls (as ... props) on Scully during the hospital scenes?
    I want to believe they didn't...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Fargo ...so good
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    a correct decision.
    A correct statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Fargo ...so good
    This too. Fargo is a guaranteed one season thing, right?

So what are the thoughts about the current Mad Men? I haven't seen any so far, and the last 2-3 seasons kind of dragged on for me most of the time, I've been thinking maybe I should just let it go..?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Watched through all of True Detective. A very good show, but I would've liked more explanation of what was going on and why the people who do the things they do are doing them other than "yeah, they do those things".
    Me too, quite recently. It seemed like they had a great main but eventually the plot turned out to be your run-of-the-mill serial killer stuff, it was the butler all along!, erm I mean, the deranged inbred gardener. not exactly disappointed but I was hoping for something more given what they had set up in the first half.

Plus, I really didn't like Harrelson. Maybe it's the juxtaposition to McConaughey, but he just never seemed very convincing to me.

I don't quite understand the complaints about GoT (Martin fans please skip the rest of this paragraph) having given up reading the books (years before the series was to be) because the threads were so meandering, the narration horribly diluted and the plot oftentimes excruciatingly frustrating (what with many of the characters taking the most predictably stupid course of action), the TV show for me is an unabashed success - something I can actually watch and enjoy and even praise the author, that same guy I would have strangled happily while crawling through the books.

As for acting, there's basically only two who stand out to me as sorely weak points, those being Kit Harington and Alfie Whatsitname, although as a basically self-taught non-native (sort-of-an-)english speaker I certainly don't catch as many as the finer details (e.g., the differences in accents between the Stark and the Lannisters never meant much anything until they were pointed out to me)

Aidan Gillan? strategic set-up and verbal skirmishes have run their course, big decisions have been made and it's action time now so subtleness must fly out of the window.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Sounds like you should give up on Mad Men. I think it's been excellent, but by the sounds of it you'd have the same frustrations with it as reading ASOIAF.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    This too. Fargo is a guaranteed one season thing, right?
    I think so, which is a shame because I'm totally digging the black comedy. Enjoying BBT being bad ass and Lester coming into his own.

@alms

In defense of Kit Harrington I think he's been a lot better this season as he's come more to the fore. In large part he's hampered upto now by the fact that Jon Snow is a pretty taciturn character until this point in the books.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 30-04-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    So what are the thoughts about the current Mad Men? I haven't seen any so far, and the last 2-3 seasons kind of dragged on for me most of the time, I've been thinking maybe I should just let it go..?

Me too, quite recently. It seemed like they had a great main but eventually the plot turned out to be your run-of-the-mill serial killer stuff, it was the butler all along!, erm I mean, the deranged inbred gardener. not exactly disappointed but I was hoping for something more given what they had set up in the first half.
    Yep, that was my issue with it. They spent all this time building up these nasty things and linking them together, but they never got to the bottom of why it was done other than just saying it's in the family. Also, as soon as I saw the guy on the lawnmower in episode 2 or 3 whatever I called it that he was the killer.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID