Page 132 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 3363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    a correct decision.
    I've been told to stop at the third season though

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The third season itself is great but yeah season 4 when Harmon goes is just bleh I would skip it and go onto season 5 when he comes back.

Watched the end Of Orange is The New Black and wow is this turned into one of my favourite shows in not a long amount of time. The characters are awesome even the side characters you only get to see every so often are entertaining especially Suzanne who started off being alright bug turned into a really cool and funny character with sarcastic quips. The air of the show is very heartwarming with the ocassional oh yeah its prison so bad things can haplen which it nails. I definitely am looking forward to june when season 2 comes out.
    Last edited by Xercies; 01-05-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    I've been told to stop at the third season though
    I've said this before, but I'd rank the seasons (best to worst) 2, 1, 3, 5, 4.

The first season is great, but the show was still establishing itself. The second is pretty consistent awesomeness. The third is rather uneven, but has some of the best episodes to date. The fourth season isn't bad, but it's quite derivative and uninspired. Season five is a marked improvement over the fourth, with more creativity and inspiration, but isn't as great as the first seasons.

Season 4 is indeed the worst (not like Britta, though), but it has an undeservedly bad reputation. Personally, I think that if Harmon had stayed on and delivered the same season, people wouldn't be as negative about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I don't have any issues with season 4 of Community. I certainly wouldn't skip it if I'd enjoyed the first 3 seasons because people told me to.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, while Season 4 had serious issues, they were pretty much all the direct result of things put into motion under the Harmon regime.

And, honestly, I prefer their take on a series finale over Harmon's (Season 5). Ironically, alternate dimensions and lawsuits just seemed more grounded than treasure hunts and robots. Which says a lot about the series.

As for Season 5: I would say it averages out to better than 4, but it is just that, average. There are no real highs or lows, which is pretty funny since that is the season Troy left. It was just very samey throughout. 4 had a LOT of lows, but it also had a few highs that probably deserve to go up as some of the best in the series. The school dance episode (Herstory of Dance) comes to mind as a great study of Abed (Season 5 tried a few times but they all felt very forced, whereas Herstory actually felt like natural growth), and "Heroic Origins" was fairly good.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I'll do a separate post for this

Continuing to watch Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (it is important to remind people that this is related to the Marvel multiverse. Or everyone is really an operative working for a kree with weird wristbands, one of the other). As per usual, spoilers include Captain America 2 and all episodes of SHIELD since the week that came out.

I really liked this episode. Team Whedon is getting a lot more comfortable directing everyone and have finally realized most of the strengths. Ming Na has a knack for physical scenes where she just needs to convey competence, exasperation with her colleagues, and the complete knowledge that she is doing some messed up stuff. Clark Gregg is at his best when he is being incredibly professional but in a snarky manner. Fitz and Simmons are best when they aren't plot central and are just having a conversation where Lady part is ambiguous as to whether she is into Male part and Male part perfectly handles the role of a guy who is terrified to make a move. Lady Useless is perfect as a petulant child, and Captain Cardboard really is the second coming of Boreanez... poor bastard. And J August Richards, over the years, has nailed "I have no choice but to do horrible things, but I can at least focus this toward the people who deserve it"

As for the plot. Everyone finds out Captain Cardboard is a bad guy, Male part of FitzSimmons rages awkwardly (not his strong suit), they rescue Lady Useless, and everyone is in a really weird place afterwards.

Also, Maria Hill finally does something. Yay! I mean, she shot at Loki a bit, but it wasn't much. This time she is actually a main character and a force to be reckoned with. It is also quite interesting as it expands on what happened at the end of Cap 2 (even if the timeline is further muddied), by confirming that Stark is privatizing global security, much as they did in the comics during Civil War. Which suggests that Age of Ultron will probably incorporate aspects of a certain Mighty Avengers storyline (I will make a separate spoiler block for that).

And yay, Lola was actually used again, and Useless Girl and Coulson did a great job of selling that scene. It ALSO further establishes that the writers are morons for not having them use Lola to scout the secret SHIELD base in the forest, but whatever.

Also, Talbot's make-up has been toned down or he just looks better when not face on. Because holy crap was that a shitty 'stache.
    Also, speaking of Hitler, Lady Useless has one of the best bits of dialogue in the series where she offhand Godwin-bombs Captain Cardboard, then realizes he actually IS a Nazi by virtue of being part of HYDRA. That bit was Team Whedon at its finest with that incredibly awkward yet hilarious bit where Skye screams that he is literally a nazi.

Now for a spoiler that relates to a prediction for Age of Ultron (Avengers 2). Not really a spoiler for anything, but I would still recommend not checking unless you have seen Cap 2 as it will hint at things
    So Stark is privatizing global security, which is essentially what happened when he took over SHIELD during Civil War (and what led to HAMMER later). And the next Avengers is Age of Ultron. Well, in Mighty Avengers, Ultron once hacked Stark's body and turned him into a lady with giant knockers as a way to get a host. And Robert Downey Jr wants to scale back his role as Iron Man. And we know Ultron is JARVIS (and so is The Vision). So odds are the body hacking will be involved to some degree, if only as a way to cycle out actors or let Robert Downey Jr play a smaller role while still having Stark as a major part of the Marvel U.
    Last edited by gundato; 01-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Yeah, it was a great episode of a show that now actually commands some level of respect. As for 'Lady Useless', they've done a good job recently of making her feel like she's actually earned her spot as an agent and everything she did this episode proved that she's a good character on her own right. Chewing out Agent Cardboard at the café following it up with that amazing Hail Hydra and then the Nazi speech.

The Lola part was hilarious in terms of CG, but well executed in terms of what it wanted to convey. The retreat off the bus as Coulson realised there was someone else on board was hilarious, as well the episode ending huh.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Yeah, I give the character a lot of crap but I have to admit that they ARE finding a purpose for Lady Useless. She isn't an essential part of the team (so far, everything she has done can either be done with a piece of software or was just farmed out to her because she is the wild card. Seriously, the show went out of their way to establish that they don't need her...), but the writers are doing a good job of making her excel at the tasks assigned.

And, in all fairness, the team had a fair bit of redundancy to begin with. Coulson is the brains and the planner, May, Cardboard, and now Black Guy with the Awesome Facial Hair are the hitters, FitzSimmons are techs, and Skye is a mix of planning and tech.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I don't have any issues with season 4 of Community. I certainly wouldn't skip it if I'd enjoyed the first 3 seasons because people told me to.
    The worst season of Community is still better than the best season of other, more popular shows. And I think funnier than the recent Netflix season of Arrested Development.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    A new BBC4 documentary about the Georgians from Lucy Worsley.... who is as ever annoying the crap out of me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The first episode of Penny Dreadful is available for free on... Myspace?! Thank you Mr. Timberlake!

I'm fully on board with this show. It's like From Hell mixed with Clive Barker's Undying. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are a great team. Josh Hartnett is pretty cool too.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The first episode of Penny Dreadful is available for free on... Myspace?! Thank you Mr. Timberlake!

I'm fully on board with this show. It's like From Hell mixed with Clive Barker's Undying. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are a great team. Josh Hartnett is pretty cool too.
    Watching the episode and reading the wikipedia entry, I also get a League of Extra-ordinary Gentlemen vibe. The graphic novels not the much-maligned film version.

I can't believe that Community didn't make it to the end of the second season. In Italy i mean. Those mediaset guys screwed up big time.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Restarting Fringe. Had watched, I don't know, the first 5 episodes some years ago. Stopped because busy. Never restarted because not my wife's type of thing and I don't get much screen alone-time. Now I have a few weeks with family away and there are five seasons to catch up on. Don't know how much of a dent I'll make. But man, that Walter is a magnetic freaking guy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Watching the episode and reading the wikipedia entry, I also get a League of Extra-ordinary Gentlemen vibe. The graphic novels not the much-maligned film version.
    Yeah but more gothic horror. Anyway was throw away enjoyable.

Not sure Sky know that it is available in the UK for free like that though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    After seeing the first two seasons of X-Files, Fringe doesn't seem worse, it's just that took many things verbatim from it. X-Files also has just two opposite main characters, while Fringe has a more complex core cast. There's no Walter here, but we have The Lone Gunman...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I think the first two seasons have very boring generic monster of the week episodes but some crazy off the wall mystery episodes to back it up. But for some reason in season 3 upwards they got a lot better at the monster of the week stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I have a question about Mad Men:
    Why does Peggy resent Don so badly? I mean, she's pretty somber all around, but she's especially spiteful towards Don. I can't remember any particular event that caused them to fall out, but it's been going on for a good while and it bothers me that I don't know why. Was there something that happened or is it just her asserting her independence from daddy Don? Not knowing makes me really dislike her character.

Besides that, the last episode was good and the show keeps up its impressively consistent quality. I do kind of miss the days when I didn't want to kill myself after every episode, but it's very good TV.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    There's a few different ways you can look at the Peggy situation, but I think a lot of it has to do with the back-end of season 6. So, errm, spoilers for that from here onwards. From Peggy's perspective, Don did a lot of things to get her to end up working underneath her again. Starting from the merger of CCC, Peggy was back working at her old home. She clearly liked working under Chaough more through way of appreciation, but of course that lingered and a relationship formed there. Whilst Don got wind of this, he didn't really reveal it, other than making a hint of it during a meeting with a client, but then you can also call into question their professionalism there too. No-one really wins out of that. Anyhow, Peggy accuses Don of making Chaough more like him because of the time they were spending together as creative leads, even though they clearly had different styles and methods.

The big stuff really comes at the very end of s6 though. With Sunkist requiring a western branch, there's only need for one person to oversee creative there. Don wants to go because he's miserable in NY and wants to be close to Megan, whilst Chaough wants to leave so that he can break off any relationship with Peggy and refocus on his marriage. Now you can read into why Don did this, but Don relented and let Chaough go. My money is on Don seeing him realising that he didn't want to let someone else slip into the sort of life he's had. Peggy of course saw it as Don taking Chaough away from her and I think a lot of her spite has grown from there.

My personal reading is that Don tried to do the right thing and as a result, Peggy became furious and embittered. Fast forward to the last few episodes and you can see any chance of at least having creative power is scuppered because of bringing in Lou (who as of the latest episode cements himself as loathsome, especially with his "I'm not medding in office politics" meddling in office politics with Peggy's raise and assigning of Don to work under her.

This is not the first time that Don has tried to do the right thing and been screwed. Whilst he was selfish during s6, he was right to point out that the Jaguar client was going to drag them down and they had to go - note, this was a call that was confirmed by other people. Joan, who ultimately elected to prostitute herself to get Jaguar and a silent partnership, despite Don's protestations, was obviously angry that she'd done what she had for essentially nothing and got angry at Don, something she's clearly held onto since. Of course we know she can hold a thought because of the gap between Dr. Rapey getting his name-sake and her kicking him out. I read that as mis-placed anger though, considering Don was the one person to stand up and argue against Joan doing what she did (and I'm not sure ever knew that she did?).

Don might be a complete scumbag at times/most times, but he does sometimes get unlucky.

Anyhow, this episode. Definitely great. Lou is a massive arsehole, only topped by Cooper. Don follows the rules, even tries to get a new client...and he's rebuffed. I'm not sure why everyone is acting as superior as they are in a Don-like way because they're so critical of him when he's done similar things previously. Peggy and Don really just need to work out that the situation has been created to encourage them to butt-heads and to try and work together, but Don's initial refusal to work (and his treatment as if he's someone who has barely any experience) and Peggy's grab for making Don feel like rubbish in a sort of revenge are not going to work. Peggy's only going to end up more bitter and they're going to end up getting rid of Don.

I know Don had a lot of working restrictions put on him, but look at the first half of the episode. He turns up late, not because he's drunk or overslept, but because no-one told him to turn up early. He doesn't care, he gets on with it. His work space, that he had clearly fostered as being important for all of creative, was being replaced. His treatment as if he didn't have the experience or capability that he had in an effort to play office politics and finally his attempts to get more business, something he has done quite ably in the past, go ignored. It's no surprise that he then gets hammered.

I also think this episode shows quite clearly that Peggy is not up to the role of creative lead. Her mentor was Don and his leading style was mostly pants, whilst she didn't really have a lot of time at CCC. Currently she's super unhappy, doesn't really have a good handle on the people who work for her and finds a lot of them unhappy to be working under her anyhow.

Creative at SC&P is in a really bad state. Cooper might think everything is 'fine', but I don't think that's going to last.

Also, coming next week, my Mad Men posts entirely in white.