Page 133 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 3344
    Network Hub
    Boy, LOST really goes off of the deep end in later seasons, doesn't it?

What is WITH that crazy KA suddenly becoming obsessed with A being her own son? What a crazy, unlikable, psychotic character. I still say she has traits of a sociopath, especially in her apparent compulsion to physically harm/kill people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    If I recall, a lot of the early X-Files episodes left some room to doubt whether events were truly supernatural or not, and thus Scully could remain her skeptical self.
    Not really sure about that, Scully is a truly mad person if she can't believe in supernatural stuff in that universe. I mean, the first episode has her performing an autopsy on a "non-human entity", which is clearly a Grey.
    The less realistic part is that Mulder never punches her in the face after she tells her for the n-th time "There's got to be a scientific explanation!". Luckly, she always has an excuse to arrive at the scenes just after the supernatural thing has disappeared. Travelling at the speed of the plot.
    On an unrelated note, the show's intro is so ridiculous, I can imagine myself watching it and dismiss the show as low-budget trash. It looks like something banged together in a couple of hours using Movie Maker, or some tutorial Flash animation. It's probably the biggest disconnect I've seen between the content and the intro. At least the music is good (they changed it on the 3rd season to another arrangement, not sure why).
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    24. Two hours in, and I counted three major explosions, two major gunfights, three sequences of "enhanced interrogation", and countless occurrences of Jack Bauer beating the living hell out of tentatively good people.

I love this show :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Thanks JG Man for a great recap! Really freshened up my memory.

It does make me think that Mad Men doesn't really seem to have the most sympathetic portrayals of women. Most women on the show seem to start off as nice, before succumbing to spitefulness and becoming a bit... well, bitchy. Don't get me wrong, they all have their reasons for their anger, but they do tend to be quite irrational about it. Peggy and Joan quite unfairly venting their frustrations with life on Don, while both are significantly better off because of him, is a good example. Then there are the families (Betty, Sally, Roger's situation), whose turn for the worse is largely the fault of absent or abusive fathers/husbands, but whose responses tend to be rather extreme (Don's male middle child OTOH is a victim who just wants his mother to love him).

There are exceptions, of course. Megan, the psychology lady that she replaced and Pete's (ex)wife (Trudy? Allison Brie.) are a few, but Megan is the only one with serious screen time. Although Megan does have some tantrums, tends to read too much into situations and has daddy issues with her husband. I may have to scratch Megan. And I have a crush on Allison brie, so I may be favourably misremembering her character.

Meanwhile, men are painted in a better light. Some are presented as harsher/douchier in the beginning, before showing their good side (Ted Chaogh). Some are friendly, but stern when the situation calls for it (Roger and Cooper). Some are mainly just good, period (Kenny G). The men who are not presented as the most amiable characters are still reasonable (lookin' at you, Pete).

I'm not saying that men are portrayed as saints in the show. That's hardly the case. I'm saying that there are some rather stereotypical gender roles going on. Men in the show tend to be driven by rationality and try to resolve their issues and improve their situation. Women tend to be irrational, bitter and complaining about their situation. Of course there are exceptions, but I see this as being the general trend. Maybe it's a reflection of the difficulties in being a woman in a man's world, but I don't think this is helping.

Still a great show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think that's a pretty fair summation, but I also think that's the point. It's trying to reflect the times. It's why a couple of weeks ago there were shenanigans about having a black secretary at the front. The show is very clever in its subtlety as well as its painstakingly obvious THIS IS THE THING.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I think that's a pretty fair summation, but I also think that's the point. It's trying to reflect the times. It's why a couple of weeks ago there were shenanigans about having a black secretary at the front. The show is very clever in its subtlety as well as its painstakingly obvious THIS IS THE THING.
    Yes, the show has on many occasions highlighted that it was a different time, when racism and sexism was commonplace and somewhat accepted. But this isn't about characters or society being sexist, it's about certain traits being alluded to as male and female nature. Unless, of course, their bitterness is mere resignation to the belief that there's nothing they can do about it.

Btw, it struck me that, more than anything, Peggy's and Joan's newfound dislike for Don may also be a case of them projecting their anger with the patriarchal society on him. If so, I have more understanding for it, although projection is irrational in its nature.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    24. Two hours in, and I counted three major explosions, two major gunfights, three sequences of "enhanced interrogation", and countless occurrences of Jack Bauer beating the living hell out of tentatively good people.

I love this show :p
    So 24 is still 24? Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Pretty much :p

To elaborate a bit. It is interesting how different, yet samey, the dynamic is. Jack isn't part of a government organization, but he still has "mission control" as it were. And Kiefer Sutherland hasn't missed a beat. Four years later and he is still a noticeably more intense and aggressive Jack Bauer following the awkward events that culminated in the awesome finale of Day 8. He is actually doing a pretty good job of playing a Jack Bauer who has closed himself off from the world in every conceivable way. You can still see the rage and disillusion that drove his roaring rampage, but it is locked away and is now a very cold smoldering.

As for the CIA who are using a rebuilt CTU set: Thus far, I am actually amazed. Yvonne Strahovski was cast as the female agent who is hunting Jack, and as of two hours in she is actually portrayed as competent and NOT portrayed as sexy (the makeup crew and costuming department did a great job of making her look like a human being going to work in an office, rather than a fashion model). This might be the first time I have ever seen her manage to get more than an hour into a role before deducing that her character's working name was "sexy girl #5". Which is great, since all those years on Chuck taught her how to chase after people and wave a gun around. Let's see if this keeps up.
    Similarly, they benefit a lot from Benjamin Bratt as the dude in charge. He manages to project an aura of confidence AND competence that pretty much nobody who has ever been in charge of CTU/whatever has managed (Bubba, of Bubba Gump Shrimp, did a pretty good job though. And I loved Tony, Michelle, and Bill).

That being said, the show is already suffering, and benefiting, from being rushed. Pretty much every CIU scene feels like rapid fire exposition to set the stage for the characters, mostly because they can't spend an episode or two establishing who everyone is. But, on the other hand, the season is opening up with high paced action that is usually not seen until at least 6 hours in.

Gail the Snail isn't doing quite as well. The character is quite interesting and I look forward to having what happened to her in the interim expanded on, but she is still Chloe, so her behavior can be described as "petulance" and "pissy smugness".

Team POTUS on the other hand are a bit lacking thus far. The POTUS himself is fun, as always, but shoehorning in a plot point just feels awkward. Similarly, the secretary and his wife are obviously there for the long term payoff (I estimate around hour 6 or 7), but neither is a strong enough actor/has good enough dialogue to exist as more than just a puzzle piece being put aside for when the writers need it.

Also, Stephen Fry is the Prime Minister of the UK. That is all :p

Oh. Not to spoil anything, but the current tentative Big Bad is more than capable of pulling off the role.
    Last edited by gundato; 06-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Louie is back finally only after about 2 years hiatus, but kind of glad that he did it since he is pretty much the person making all these episodes so its good for him to recharge his batteries and bring in new material. First episode was very sitcom with just meeting Louie again having his problems. great chat over the poker table, and a weird scene with a Doctor which I loved. I also loved the opening a great exaggeration of how the sound of garbage truck people really feels like.

The second episode is what you watch Louie for, a great delve into another world full of strange but beautiful things but obviously you can't be there for long and you have to pay the price. Great great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    Boy, LOST really goes off of the deep end in later seasons, doesn't it?
    Fun fact:
    A very young Sawyer from LOST appears in the first scene of the pilot episode of Angel as one of the first vampires to get dusted on the show. Later on, Bernard and Jin both appear as lawyers from Wolfram & Hart.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Well, there aren't many TV series from the last 10-15 years without a couple of people from Lost in it. From Oz to Justified. Daniel Dae Kim especially. He's in freaking everything.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Bless 25, recycling plotlines like there's no tomorrow spoilers if you've never ever watched a series of 24, ever one President with health issues who may not be up to the job, one sexy companion who was more than she seemed (who didn't see that coming) and of course the obligatory secret plan to hand Jack over to the most convenient pissed off foreign power) spoilers end but yet it still remains as entertaining as ever.

Not convinced by their attempts to transmogrify Chloe into Lisbeth Salander, but I can run with it.

Agree with Gundato about Kate seeming like a good character (though I'd quite like to work in his office if that's how the average person there looks!). She's basically a female version of season 2 Jack (or just before season 2), betrayed by someone close to her, cutting ties with the government, yet fantastically competent and willing to go a bit rogue to prove her points. Give her a little longer and she'll have absolute trust from dickhead replacement guy (unless he gets offed) just as Jack won over his friends in CTU back in the day. It's (so far) in a much more interesting way than Renee's mirroring of Jack's more extreme traits as she's like this from the off rather than because of Jack's influence.

Plus did anyone mention Stephen Fry is the Prime Minister?

Added: The Guardian recap pretty much nicely sums up why I had a smile on my face throughout. Spoilers obviously - http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...pisode-one-two
    Last edited by Lambchops; 06-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Da Vinci's Demons, Season 2.

Rocket launchers, Da Vinci in South America, some skeletal demon dude, a conspiracy bigger than Assassin's Creed 2, sex and gore, an amazing villain with amazing fashion style...

...those are Soviet aviator goggles.

It's a really fun show.

Looks like Adam Jensen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Fun fact:
    A very young Sawyer from LOST appears in the first scene of the pilot episode of Angel as one of the first vampires to get dusted on the show. Later on, Bernard and Jin both appear as lawyers from Wolfram & Hart.
    I just saw a movie that had Ben Linus in it but I watched it so briefly that I don't remember what it was. I think it was a western, and he was an agent of the government.

Anyone who's seen LOST but not Sideways would probably get a kick out of the ending of that movie.

Sideways is a great movie, btw.

Oh, and -

Gonorrhea!

Jim Hensons' Creature Shop Challenge - 1x07 -Alien Press Conference
    Host Gigi Edgley brings her Farscape co-star Rygel to the workshop to offer inspiration when the Creature Designers are given the task to build an original alien diplomat.
    This has absolutely made my morning. ^_^

Only one episode of Agents of SHIELD to go. "Get ready for a large file transfer" was the best line of this one. In the event there is a second season, I would really like to see Fury, Coulson and co. restarting SHIELD from scratch, slowly recruiting new people every week.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Restarting Fringe. Had watched, I don't know, the first 5 episodes some years ago.
    The thing about Fringe, is I can't even tell you what that show is about without spoiling the entire first season. Luckily that line alone is normally enough to intrigue people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    It's like they went: "What happened in the last five years? Drone strikes and WikiLeaks? That sounds like a season." Odds on Twitter and Bitcoin or equivalents getting a mention before the season is out?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Gail the Snail isn't doing quite as well. The character is quite interesting and I look forward to having what happened to her in the interim expanded on, but she is still Chloe, so her behavior can be described as "petulance" and "pissy smugness".
    I can't decide if it's a plot point or a plot hole that she survived three days of US torture without giving up Wikileaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Louie is back finally only after about 2 years hiatus
    From his mailing list: The first three episodes are pretty typical of what we've done in the past, Self-contained stories. But the next 6 episodes after that are all connected in one story. Then we have a three part story and a two part story. So lots of… parts stories. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Agree with Gundato about Kate seeming like a good character (though I'd quite like to work in his office if that's how the average person there looks!).
    Heh. Everything is relative when Yvonne Strahovski is involved. But usually she is dolled up to hell and back and in skimpy outfits. It looks like the makeup crew went out of their way to make her look "bad" by using makeup and the like to make her look "pasty" and what not. It is right up there with putting the attractive girl in glasses to make her seem "ugly".
    But it is the thought that counts and it is a HUGE difference from her usual roles.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It's like they went: "What happened in the last five years? Drone strikes and WikiLeaks? That sounds like a season." Odds on Twitter and Bitcoin or equivalents getting a mention before the season is out?
    Oh, there is no way in hell that Chloe and her hacker friends don't analyze twitter to locate a bad person.

Bitcoin could go either way. It makes sense to use for a monetary exchange (<insert joke about how Bitcoin is only good for illegal activities>), but it might not be well known enough to seem "reasonable".

And I am very interested in how the Assange-expy plays out. It IS FOX and it IS 24, so odds are he is going to be a bad guy who is endangering innocent citizens, but I also suspect they'll do it in a fashion that goes along the lines of "Some stuff needs to be shared, some stuff shouldn't be". Which is sort of what the first three quarters of the previous season were about.
    Last edited by gundato; 07-05-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    The only thing that really irked me was that once again the Scottish character had the standard Scottish accent that is always trundled out for American shows by anyone who isn't Sean Connery or Billy Connolly. The least they could have done was cast Rab Florence, I mean look at his bottle of ginger throwing skills! Perfect for 24.