Page 134 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3379
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    So lots of… parts stories. Yeah.

I don't know how I feel about that, I love Louie because it feels like the guy is making a bunch of short films and putting them together which is great because it allows it to have a strange strange atmosphere and themes which kill you emotionally. I didn't like the late night trilogy to be honest last season(except for David Lynch of course) so I'm waiting with baited breath.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    The X-Files continues to deliver some of the best TV I've ever seen, 2,5 seasons in. It just works. Maybe I'm just dumb or I don't watch a lot of TV.

Oh, and that musical cue used in Khans of New California is definitively repeated several times. Mark Morgan was I fan, I see.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Bitcoin could go either way. It makes sense to use for a monetary exchange (<insert joke about how Bitcoin is only good for illegal activities>), but it might not be well known enough to seem "reasonable".
    Bet it gets a mention:

Jack: Chloe, I need you to follow the money and find out who he bought it from. Now.
    Chloe: I'm trying Jack! But the transaction was done through a cryptographic currency, there's no way to trace the seller without breaking the encryption!

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    The second episode is what you watch Louie for, a great delve into another world full of strange but beautiful things but obviously you can't be there for long and you have to pay the price. Great great stuff.
    Yvonne Strahovski was a treat in that episode. I haven't laughed that hard at TV for while.
    Last edited by Dubbill; 08-05-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: wordwrongs
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    After "walking out" of Supernatural two weeks ago during the vampire story and skipping the pilot for the spin-off, Supernatural was back with one of the better episodes of the season. Which, in all fairness, isn't a hard thing to pull off.

It had flaws, but that actually makes perfect sense since this was very clearly written by committee with minimal checking

The A plot is Abaddon capturing Crowley and manipulating him into setting up a trap to get her The First Blade and to kill The Winchesters. I actually really enjoyed this since it let Mark Sheppard have fun with the current status quo of "Kind of sort of human Crowley". He is still just as slimy and smarmy as before, but now he just feels like a really assholish person, not a super demon.
    I think I like this so much because it was basically Spike's arc on Buffy: He got back his soul, and rather than get douchey and broody he just kept killing because he genuinely enjoyed being a violent maniac. It is an arc that shows that acknowledges that humanity (or the lackthereof) doesn't inherently control what kind of "person" someone is: There are some horrifyingly sick people out there, so it makes sense that there would be some comparatively decent demons.

The B plot is Commander Castiel leading his ragtag band of Angels. It basically existed to set up two plot points for the finale, which I am going to call right now: one of The Winchesters gets trapped in Heaven. Probably Dean, and probably because Carlton "Cain" Lassiter sends him on a mission to kill an ancient Angel who fucked up and set into motion Abel being tempted by Lucifer, since that is suitably Preacher-like and Heaven is the one place Dean hasn't been stranded.

That being said, there were serious continuity issues that pissed me off. Switching to spoiler mode: Crowely is manipulated because Abaddon can travel through time and kidnap Crowley's kid, Gavin. The show acknowledges that they already used Gavin by having Crowley bluff about being a stone cold bastard and Gavin bitch because Crowely (as Fearghus) abused him and sold his soul for "three more inches of willy". Yay, continuity
    Then The WInchesters arrive, and seem to have no idea Gavin existed and are shocked that Crowley had a kid. And when Crowley doesn't want to send Gavin back to his death on the boat (where his signet ring was lost and later found by Rufus doing a favor for Bobby), they all say that they don't know how his disappearance from time would affect things.
    I don't know, maybe by not letting you summon his ghost a few years ago in an attempt to save your Father Figure?

Seriously, that pissed me off a lot because it was clear that one of the writers was referencing that episode quite heavily, the other had no idea what was going on, and they never compared notes. Which probably explains why this season has been so hit-or-miss. I acknowledge I am a whore for continuity nods, but I don't care if the writers forget something: Just stay consistent within a given episode. And this is especially annoying because, say what you will about their plots, the Supernatural writers tend to be good about callbacks and acknowledging that their fans are a bunch of crazed whackjobs who masturbate to wikis.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I've been reading a lot on thoughts on the latest episode of Mad Men. A lot of them seem to paint some of the relationships as being men versus women, which is certainly the case, but I think that actually misses some of the smaller relationship points between some of the characters. It was a charged environment where the glass ceiling was practically visible and scumbags were abel to rule the roost whilst enforcing the idea that to progress you had to be a scumbag too, but a lot of the commentary seems to be fixated on specific reads. I've noticed this for the longest time. So when I cited the Peggy/Don conflict this episode to some friends, they criticised me in saying that I was ignoring the "Men act bossy, it's fine, women act bossy, it's wrong"...which I think does miss some critical character development tid-bits if argued by itself.

I suppose it's quite interesting that this all comes to a point in an episode that is one of the most clear in signalling the things to come and how some things change or haven't changed. I just thought I'd share that, really.

Anyhow, if this week's Agents of SHIELD is indicative of what the next season will be like as a standard quality, I'm going to be very happy with it going forward. Very on point, references to the larger Marvel universe without being too obvious or over-the-top, good dialogue and generally writing. What the show should've been from the beginning. It's quite clear now at this point that the show was having to restrain itself until the big reveal/tie-in with The Winter Soldier. Wobbles here and there, sure, but I'm confident in the next season. And on that note of renewing AoS, ABC have also confirmed an Agent Carter series, with a first run of 13 episodes. So that's neat!

In other TV, Castle got serious this week with the conclusion to the Beckett's mother story-line. Kinda seemed like it came out of nowhere with how abruptly it ended, but it was pretty satisfying. I'm sure the show will be renewed for another season and it'll be nice to not have this thread dangling above it, but it'll be interesting to see if they do any other framing or if they'll just charge ahead and make more fun, high quality episodes of which this season has mostly been filled with.

In the mean time British TV doesn't seem to be offering up that much of interest. That said tomorrow is Eurovision, so requisite posting of this.