Page 135 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 3322
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Since Star Wars: The Clone Wars is now totally canon, I guess I should see it (and the 2008 movie).
    What should I expect? Is it a legitimately good story like, say, The Force Unleashed and Republic Commando? Or is it a shitty cheap-action-and-retarded-quips-for-kids show?
    I watched some more or less recent trailers and it looks pretty good... Unlike the upcoming Rebels.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Since Star Wars: The Clone Wars is now totally canon, I guess I should see it (and the 2008 movie).
    What should I expect? Is it a legitimately good story like, say, The Force Unleashed and Republic Commando? Or is it a shitty cheap-action-and-retarded-quips-for-kids show?
    I watched some more or less recent trailers and it looks pretty good... Unlike the upcoming Rebels.
    Its actually pretty good. Not amazing, but it definitely is for teens and up with a lot of the arcs.

I would say it is comparable to a good GI Joe series (so probably the original, Resolute, and Renegades). You have the kid-friendly messages like "believe in yourself" and "don't play with fire", but they are taught in the context of an actual war where people are very obviously dying off screen and "don't play with fire" is linked to "flamethrowers make clearing bunkers easy and fun".

Similarly, it touches on a lot of the bad aspects of The Jedi Order. Not to spoil anything, but a Jedi Knight becomes a Jedi Master once they have a Padawan reach Knighthood. Anakin has a Padawan (Ahsoka). He did not have her in the third movie. He was not yet a Master in the third movie. Yeah...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    And fucking hell, that was Bishop Brennan from Father Ted!
    But did he get kicked up the arse?

----

Quite funny seeing people from other countries going "look it's Mycroft" in relation to the Iron Banker in Game of Thrones, when my mind still sees him as a multitude of characters from The League of Gentleman, with the strongest association probably being Mr Chinnery, narrowly over Hilary Briss.

That is curious that you ask because I have been watching The Clone Wars over the past months (currently at the last season). It's good. Really good even.
    It's more of an anthology series that usually comes in arcs of usually about 3-4 episodes with some stand alone episodes here and there. The arcs vary wildly in tone and cast. Most of them focus on the Jedi and their war effort but others have only clone troopers, droids, senators or bounty hunters in them. One entire episode is a homage to Cube.
    One problem the show has only early is showing characters who would appear in later movies and of course they're not going to die so it's really kind of hard to feel the tension there. This is something that gets much better as the show goes on. They may not be able to kill off Obi Wan but damn if they don't make him suffer.
    The first season is really kind of bad. It seems they were going for a much younger audience at first but they drop that quickly. Don't stop watching there. It's not a kids show. The first couple of episodes make you question the series but persevere, the second season is already a dramatic improvement and from season three on there's hardly a bad episode to be found. Especially the third season Mortis trilogy changed my mind. It gets much darker and grittier later on - but never grimdark, it's still Star Wars. There's also the action sequences that go from barely noteworthy early on to the utterly amazing duels of season five.
    Also, the squad from the Republic Commando game makes an appearance.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Well Orphan Black, you managed to make Mrs S sexy as hell. Well done. And holy fuck, Tatiana Maslany in the last scene of this episode - the way Helena entered the room and Sarah screaming and shaking was just brutal.
    Maslany's really been earning her money this season, putting in some great performances. Even more impressive when you remember that she's doing her best scenes with herself.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Every so often it gets quite difficult in Orphan Black to remember that you're watching one person. "Oh, it's a shame [insert character] isn't in this episode." Uh huh.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How is Elementary? I seem to remember it got written off early on due to comparisons with Sherlock, but did it grow into something good?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Apprantly so and some people even going as far to say its better then Sherlock!

Quite funny seeing people from other countries going "look it's Mycroft" in relation to the Iron Banker in Game of Thrones, when my mind still sees him as a multitude of characters from The League of Gentleman, with the strongest association probably being Mr Chinnery, narrowly over Hilary Briss.
    I also wonder if they realize he is a writer of some brilliant Doctor Who episodes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I rather liked the original 5 minute 2d animated Clone Wars series. (does tht count as season 1? or did they restart at 1?) Infact, one of the main reasons I found Episode 3 underwhelming was that it wasn't half as good/epic as the 2d animated shorts. (Grievous in particular). But then I heard the 3d series was pants, and the movie was pants, and that coincided with me finally wearying of the whole star wars thing... so i never watched the 3d ones.

Activated Node
    The premier of the 2d series was just perfection. No talking, just all out action. And it felt right! Wish I'd caught the rest of it. I'm actually looking forward to Rebels myself, as its in the classic era of Star Wars and not all this new shit. I also don't get all the excitement over Orphan Black. I binned the show after the first series. I just found it dull, boring, and horribly acted with horrible characters. Absolutely no excitement to the show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    season finally of Castle was fun. Light hearted entertainment was a welcome change after last weeks quiet heavy episode. So I enjoyed it greatly. Nothing original, has been done before but fun, especially with mexican standoff.

the end of the episode. they could have done it a bit better. Yet, I don't think it was a bad end, just that they didn't pull it properly. I liked it.

so castle is finished, QI is still far away from airing, Brooklyn ninenine is finished too. Top Gear, Mythbusters, Doctor Who are not airing either
    and Community (*sniff*) is gone permanently.

I guess I need to pick up a new 'currently airing' show to watch. no idea what.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 13-05-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    How about Granite Flats? Has anyone watched that? The second season is airing now. I read a feature with one of the actresses recently, and I'd never heard of the show before that.

It seems a bit out of left field to me because it's apparently the first original dramatic series produced by BYUTV - that's Brigham Young University's TV channel, and essentially the official broadcast channel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (AKA the Mormons). Now look, in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a member of the same church, and I'm perfectly surprised to hear of any non-religious show being aired on that channel. I tune to it approximately twice a year for church events.

So what is Granite Flats about? Not having watched it, it is apparently about America during the Cold War, and spies and MK Ultra mind control experiments. It sits with an 8.1/10 on IMDB at the moment and seems to be gaining an audience.

In the states, BYUTV has fairly wide distribution through cable and satellite. Before now probably no one without interest in the LDS Church has ever had a reason to tune in. Maybe that's the plan? I don't know.

Is it any good?

Edit: I've read that Christopher Lloyd and Cary Elwes appear in the second season.
    Last edited by icupnimpn2; 13-05-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Ok I tried with Mad Men but I just couldn't get through it. I've gone through about 7 episodes of the first season and I don't really know about this show. Everyone seems so closed off, I don't get people's motivations. I don't get why people like Don Draper he is a horrible person and I can't see why because again I have no idea behind the mask. I kind of wanted it to be about the Women because Peggy and Draper's wife was interesting but again I had a terrible time because the motivation just wan't there. I kind of know the series is kind of based about that you know advertising people have a fake way about them but inside they are something else...but its not giving me any of the insides...it just leaves me cold.

And its weird because I don't mind other shows that seem cold to viewers like The Americans but I know the motivations of the characters in that show and it has an interesting thriller like main plot if some of the side plots are a bit weak...Mad Men lives or dies on its characters soap opera...and I just can't get into it...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Ok I tried with Mad Men but I just couldn't get through it. I've gone through about 7 episodes of the first season and I don't really know about this show. Everyone seems so closed off, I don't get people's motivations. I don't get why people like Don Draper he is a horrible person and I can't see why because again I have no idea behind the mask. I kind of wanted it to be about the Women because Peggy and Draper's wife was interesting but again I had a terrible time because the motivation just wan't there. I kind of know the series is kind of based about that you know advertising people have a fake way about them but inside they are something else...but its not giving me any of the insides...it just leaves me cold.

And its weird because I don't mind other shows that seem cold to viewers like The Americans but I know the motivations of the characters in that show and it has an interesting thriller like main plot if some of the side plots are a bit weak...Mad Men lives or dies on its characters soap opera...and I just can't get into it...
    Kind of felt the same way, having watched most of the first season, it's stacked with unlikeable characters being cold and callous without any real conflict. Don Draper is a walking charisma vacuum who we're supposed to think is suave yet conflicted and deep. Honestly felt like I was watching a very slow and dull soap opera when watching scenes with January Jones and John Hamm.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Going to watch Gomorra. Heard it's a decent tv show and an italian one for once

Wow Louie was really great this week. And So Did the Fat Woman is probably required viewing for everyone because it says so much about the hypocrisies of life and gender and weight of that gender. The Monologue speech at the end was absolutely breath taking and real and even with my mostly wide thinking views made me uncomfortable and think a lot. This episode is another reason why the DVDs should be on hard rotation in an art gallery somewhere! The other episode was great as well, great heart pounding first bit where Louie's daughter steps off the train and they scramble to get her back made me feel what it must be like as a parent. And the relationships in both episodes made me love just the humanism and good will Louie creates, sure the world is weird and has some maybe not so nice parts but everyone is really nice in the end and if you just stopped and talked to them your life will be lit up. Even if you don't understand them(Maybe something that the UK at the moment with their UKIPs and stuff might need on the TV).

Kind of felt the same way, having watched most of the first season, it's stacked with unlikeable characters being cold and callous without any real conflict. Don Draper is a walking charisma vacuum who we're supposed to think is suave yet conflicted and deep. Honestly felt like I was watching a very slow and dull soap opera when watching scenes with January Jones and John Hamm.

Yeah its unfortunate but I kind of think this as well...ergh because I feel like I'm really missing something because everyone thinks its a great show and up there with The Sopranos and The Wire and that and I just don't see it...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Caught the season finale of (Captain) Marvel: Agents of SHIELD finally. As per before, spoilers for pretty much the Marvel Movie-Verse, blah blah blah

The FitzSimmons subplot was okay. Nice, but hamfisted, which is a shame since the actor and actress have great chemistry and usually are great in scenes together. But there was so much going on in this episode that I am not surprised that was muted. Again, the show suffers from having to pack an entire season into six episodes or so

Bill Paxton continued to be the best thing on the show. I loved his scenes of megalomania and what not. Shame he killed Aaron Pierce though. His banter with Fury and Coulson was a beauty. And his bit at the end (which I assume was a dream sequence since he was wheeled out on a stretcher) was all kinds of hilarious cheesiness. I loved it.

Captain Cardboard also did quite well with his role. Really did a great job of seeming like a child completely disillusioned with their father figure and questioning if he truly threw his life away for nothing during the first half. Then going off the deep end into full on monster mode. I definitely see a fairly good spinoff (with a few ridiculously amazing episodes) and then a rather shitty but entertaining procedural in his future.

The Remnant were, similarly, great. I actually really liked Skye in this episode (she earned a name!). Right mixture of humanity and dickishness, and her defusing of the Ward encounter was perfect. Similarly, he of the awesome facial hair continues to be entertaining while feeling vaguely racist, but not enough that I have to care. Him and Coulson attacking a convoy and blasting their way into a super military base was quite entertaining, and I like the continued use of the WW2-era gadgets.

And holy crap, this might be Samuel L Jackson's best bit of acting since he was Frozone. He actually felt like he was playing a character, not just Samuel L Jackson. Right combo of snark and just sheer and utter smugness. Definitely was channeling comic book Fury (616 and Ultimate). Similarly, I think Clark Gregg and him handled their reunion perfectly. Captured the essence of Fury as "a truly despicable human being who is also probably justified in doing what he did". You know things are done right when forcibly resurrecting someone who condemned the very method being used comes across as no worse than stealing a cookie from a cookie jar. Similarly, the way they mocked the crap out of Super-Garrett was additionally wonderful.

And my hat off to Team Whedon for having the audacity to show Deathlok's kid get handed a Hulk toy and then have J August Richards do a Banner-walk into the distance.

As for where things are going: Coulson reforming SHIELD (possibly as SWORD if the focus on aliens, possibly Kree, continues) should make a good frame for a season. Lets them introduce a lot of new characters, rock a monster of the week format, and still advance the plot to get things ready for Age of Ultron.

As for Skye's father (probably): Not sure who that was supposed to be. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Marvel Supervillains who would have a perpetually bloody hand (aside from, possibly, whoever is in charge of The Hand at any given time).
    I am inclined to think Mandarin since there was that short where The Real Mandarin breaks The Fake Mandarin out of prison to torture-murder him, and Skye is from China which is where The Mandarin comes from. And, assuming there are still Gems unaccounted for, having one of the Gems be one of his rings would be a good way to tie in to the movie-verse. And it looks like they are going with merging the Kree (who are apparently in Guardians, and tend to be blue and glowy) with the people who made the Inhumans (the eternals? I dunno, I forget), which would be a perfect in for The Mandarin as an ancient alien while further advancing Marvel's goal of merging the Inhumans and The Mutants to the point of being able to make an x-men movie*. Which isn't even that far off of the comic book character (in fact, that may BE his origin. I forget).

Last bit: So apparently manhattan-wang juice (or Kree blood) makes you want to write with a knife. Seriously, they have white boards!

*: Seriously, the comics are apparently turning being an Inhuman into something comparable to being a Mutant and they have already set a precedent of being able to use a Mutant character so long as they don't use the M-word or link it to any Mutants. So give it a year or two to establish the x-men as Inhumans (which may actually be true anyway, since I think the same folks' experiments made Mutants and Lupines and CHangelines and Homo Supremes and the like), and they are set to give Fox a HUGE middle finger.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Only recently started watching TV Series in the last few years (never cared for TV, still don't, but I watch them on Netflix, etc) so I've been watching Lost the last while. Got to Season 4 and I'm starting to get a bit tired of it, not sure if I should continue watching it or not?

More recently I absolutely loved Vikings, what a great show. It has to be said that the first season was just 'good' while the second was great. The battles, politics and general savagery, the clash of cultures between the vikings and english men (with a little bit of Roman) made for very interesting viewing.

I enjoyed True Detectives, The Americans and of course Game of Thrones, but Vikings is what I've enjoyed most.
    Last edited by crainey92; 15-05-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Tried Rome and Spartacus?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Tried Rome and Spartacus?
    I LOVED Rome. It was another brilliant history series, my dad lent me the box set a few years ago. I tried watching Spartacus and didn't really get into it, though I didn't give it much of a chance either. Maybe I'll revisit it.