Page 136 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 3096
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crainey92 View Post
    I LOVED Rome. It was another brilliant history series, my dad lent me the box set a few years ago. I tried watching Spartacus and didn't really get into it, though I didn't give it much of a chance either. Maybe I'll revisit it.
    Spartacus is almost hilariously bad for the first 2/3 episodes, and it never gets past the initial mission statement of tits, blood and swearing. But it still becomes one of the best action oriented TV shows and there's some pretty creative and shocking plotting, interesting multi-faceted characters and strong performances. Well worth a watch if you can stomach the blood, nudity and wonky start.

Rather a fan of Vikings too, some of visuals are breathtaking.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Spartacus is almost hilariously bad for the first 2/3 episodes, and it never gets past the initial mission statement of tits, blood and swearing. But it still becomes one of the best action oriented TV shows and there's some pretty creative and shocking plotting, interesting multi-faceted characters and strong performances. Well worth a watch if you can stomach the blood, nudity and wonky start.

Rather a fan of Vikings too, some of visuals are breathtaking.
    Many are turned off by Spartacus' heavy use of gore and sexposition, but if you look beyond that, it is indeed a great show IMHO. I even grew to enjoy the language, after initially finding it weird and forced. It's also appreciable regardless of whether you know how things actually played out, since it provides its own interpretation of events.

Vikings is also good, but not really on the same level as the other shows mentioned, I think. It manages to portray the world in an unusually accurate manner (definitely not entirely accurate, though).

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Many are turned off by Spartacus' heavy use of gore and sexposition, but if you look beyond that, it is indeed a great show IMHO. I even grew to enjoy the language, after initially finding it weird and forced. It's also appreciable regardless of whether you know how things actually played out, since it provides its own interpretation of events.
    Sounds like I need to check it out then. I wasn't really put off by the gore and sex per se. Though it wasn't used as well as Game of Thrones it was a lot better than Black Sails or whatever that crap was called which just threw in sex willy-nilly to get eyeballs, kinda disgusting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    House of Cards - I like it. I'm very picky about TV shows, but this one is watchable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    And you get to see someone's face cut off with a sword. That's a plus.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Arrow S02 is now over. It has a couple of Spartacus actors, including Manu Bennet as SLADE WILSON, the greatest comic book villain ever.
    This season was a huge improvement over the first one.
    The Flash spin-off looks pretty good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    This is your regular PSA:

The X-Files are still amazing, it gets even better as we go along.
    I'm on Season 4 now.

We now return you to your scheduled program.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The Flash spin-off looks pretty good
    It will never be as great as the original flash tv show!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNJ2Sl0VmU

And yes that is Mark Hammil as the joker rip off

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh. Arrow s2 finished? It's just dumb fun, but they seem to have at least slightly recovered from the dumbness of the slade 'reveal' to end up with an interesting finale. I'll have to check out the last episode. Not sure I'll bother with The Flash. It looks fine, but nothing original and there are too many other shows I want to watch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post

Man, that's hilarious and creepy.

This reminds me of Twin Peaks for some strange reason.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

"Are you OK?"
    "No!" *gets up by herself anyway*

I think the Harley Quinn-expy could better. If they wanted to rip off, do it properly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Man, that's hilarious and creepy.

This reminds me of Twin Peaks for some strange reason.

There's definitly a strange off kilter weirdness and hilarious campyness to it. I lapped it up when I was a kid and had three VHS movies(combined TV show episodes I've later found out) and maybe is the reason why I love weird movies now a days(I watched these movies more then Star Wars!). And watching them again I see the cheesyness but I think it kind of still holds up unlike other shows I loved as a kid and tried to go back to through nostalgia trips. Kind of wish I could find these episodes again.

Started watching Sleepy Hollow, and ohmygod it's amazing. Right out of the gates in the pilot their throwing everything at you. [BASIC PLOT SPOILERS] The headless horseman's been brought back from the dead, but so has his nemesis! Oh, and the horseman is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, specifically death. [/BASIC PLOT SPOILERS] and it just gets better from there.

The episode I just watched dealt with Conquest. And it was great.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    This is your regular PSA:

The X-Files are still amazing, it gets even better as we go along.
    I'm on Season 4 now.

We now return you to your scheduled program.
    X-files is great. I loved that show, especially the conspiracy plotline. You have to massively suspend disbelief and buy into the dogma (Mulder can't be killed, that would make him a martyr), but it wasn't that hard for me.

It's a perfect show for the 90's, when shadowy aliens and murky governmental conspiracies took the place of real world dangers and toyed with out sensiblities. When a man's desperate passion to find his missing sister was enough to captivate us completely.

Before 9/11 ultimately wiped that slate clean and ushered in grittier, darker worlds for us to inhabit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    HOLY FUCK PLEASE WATCH PENNY DREADFUL

Best fucking show on TV right now!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    Started watching Sleepy Hollow, and ohmygod it's amazing. Right out of the gates in the pilot their throwing everything at you. [BASIC PLOT SPOILERS] The headless horseman's been brought back from the dead, but so has his nemesis! Oh, and the horseman is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, specifically death. [/BASIC PLOT SPOILERS] and it just gets better from there.

The episode I just watched dealt with Conquest. And it was great.
    Sleepy Hollow is pretty much the best show there's been for years in terms of smart writing and great acting elevating an utterly ludicrous premise into something that's still daft, but wildly entertaining and really quite emotive. I suggest you read the AV Club's reviews for extra amusement - if you start with their review of the pilot it's great following the guy's whole attitude of "Well, okay, this is fun, but my God it's so stupid it's going to turn into Heroes/The Cape/etc. inside five episodes, I swear" and how it turns into "HOW IS THIS SHOW SIMULTANEOUSLY SO RIDICULOUS AND SO, SO GOOD".

The creators also did the brilliant Fringe and you can see the similarities - comic-book nonsense where the characters are treated as human beings no matter how improbable/silly things get. Sleepy Hollow is a lot sillier than Fringe - there's a real sense the show is gently poking fun at itself (Ichabod's conversation with the OnStar lady had me literally crying with laughter) - but it still does everything it can to make you feel these guys are people. I can understand the weirdness being too much for some, and there are a couple of dud episodes, but it's still a legitimately great piece of genre TV. Not even close to "so bad it's good".
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    X-files is great. I loved that show, especially the conspiracy plotline. You have to massively suspend disbelief and buy into the dogma (Mulder can't be killed, that would make him a martyr), but it wasn't that hard for me.

It's a perfect show for the 90's, when shadowy aliens and murky governmental conspiracies took the place of real world dangers and toyed with out sensiblities. When a man's desperate passion to find his missing sister was enough to captivate us completely.

Before 9/11 ultimately wiped that slate clean and ushered in grittier, darker worlds for us to inhabit.
    This can be perfectly observed on Fringe, the most direct Spiritual Successor. At least the first seasons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, I've been meaning to check Sleepy Hollow out. The premise sounds interesting, and they have apparently been stealing entire episodes from Supernatural, which at the very least means they have some entertaining "monster of the week" scenarios, hopefully with better acting (Ackles and Padelecki got a lot better over the years, but they DID start out in tween dramas and soap operas...)
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Oh my. William Gibson wrote an episode of The X-Files?
    All his trademark stuff is there, plus Mulder, Scully and the Lone Gunman. What a match made in heaven. This being the late 90s, it's not THAT outdated, at least not at Johnny Mnemonic levels. Not sentient dolphins here either, just a by-the-book cyberpunk adventure, condensed into 45 minutes. Amazing.

Coincidentally (or not), the previous episode was written by Stephen King and it was not very good, just a retread of many horror stories, and basically ignored the existing mythos. Make of that what you wish.