Page 137 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 3113
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I found Fringe somewhat enjoyable. Far too soft for my liking, but it's entertaining and strikes the right balance between long arcs and standalone episodes.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forty-two View Post
    Is Fringe any good, by the way?
    I loved the first 2-3 seasons, there are some absolute masterpieces. After that, it was really running on fumes.
    Those are more similar to X-Files, but with a larger and more diverse regular cast, including the cow.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Just watched first episode of fargo. saying it was unpredictable is understatement. was very interesting.
    probably should see the movie first...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Just watched first episode of fargo. saying it was unpredictable is understatement. was very interesting.
    probably should see the movie first...
    Yes, you should. The stories are separate, but there are references and nods to the movie in the show. Also, it's a great movie. And a great show. Do it now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I used to think that whenever Breaking Bad was on TV, it was the best thing on TV, but when Mad Men was/is, it was the best. I'm now conflicted because this season of Mad Men, so far, has been thoroughly excellent on the whole, but Orphan Black is happening and they're on at the same time and I can't make that distinction any more. This isn't so much a complaint as an observation. It's funny in a way because they actually excel in pretty similar areas, but perhaps most strikingly in cinematography.

Also because I didn't say so last week; Castle's sixth season finale emtions: Beginning: Good. Middle: Great! Almost ending: Very great! Actual ending: OH COME ON. NOW I'M GRUMPY. Also, Agents of SHIELD was wonderful in a "I think they've found their stride for the next season" kind of way.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So. The new series of 24 is pretty crap, right?

I used to love that show so much, but either it's much worse than it used to be, or the long gap has just made me notice the weaknesses much more.

But mainly I'm sad because, after it went downhill in the later series, and after a long break, they had a chance to do something new.. but it's just exactly the same. And not half as good as the early series (at least in my memory) and not even as good as the later ones.
    I can think of about a dozen ways they could have made a more interesting 24 set in London, and even the shittiest are more interesting that what happened in episode 3. Is there anyone watching who hasn't already worked out exactly what's going to happen for the rest of the series?

Sigh.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I loved the first 2-3 seasons, there are some absolute masterpieces. After that, it was really running on fumes.
    Those are more similar to X-Files, but with a larger and more diverse regular cast, including the cow.
    I think the problem the Fringe writer had and he repeated the same mistake with Almost Human (which sadly got cancelled) was that he just threw too much spaghetti at the wall in terms of ideas Versus just coming up with a couple of really strong themes and sticking wholly to exploring the possibility space within them. So one week you've got X technology that's amazingly revolutionary and the next week it's conveniently forgotten about because it's very existence undermines that episodes premise.

It's not terrible, but you have to roll with those sort of anomalies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Just finished watching the series finale of Warehouse 13

Hopefully the Syphilis Network really is returning to form with its new shows, but Warehouse 13 (and Eureka before/during it) really were amazing.

Yeah, they weren't the best shows on TV. The acting was generally "adequate" at best, and the plots sometimes got REALLY hamfisted and it was clear that different writers had completely different ideas. But, at the end of the day, they were both about the same thing: Appreciating the world for what is in it and to never stop exploring it. They were the truest successors to the original Star Trek (well, maybe some of TNG too) that have ever existed.

And both series finales served to remind people of that, with a heavy dose pointed toward the network that birthed and killed them.

Eureka was science, plain and simple. Yes, every single week the entire world was put in danger by a scientist or assistant who cut corners and caused a boo-boo. But the world was ALSO saved by science. Someone accidentally creates a black hole while trying to win a science fair project? Someone else finds a way to neutralize the hole. And, at the core, was Sheriff Carter: The Everyman. Because science and discovery means nothing if it doesn't serve a purpose, and far too many people (including some world-renowned and loved figureheads of Science...) forget that. This wasn't Reed Richards with a nuclear toaster. This was using science to make everyday life better (even the Right Guard season worked that in while giving a huge middle finger to the sponsors :p), and it was established more that technological advances were being beta tested before being introduced to the world. It says something when the dry cleaning lady is really a chemist who is using her store as a way to test new compounds. Additionally, every single episode would make it a point to break the pseudo-science down into very simple terms (ELI5, essentially), because just babbling jargon doesn't help anyone.
    And that is what the finale was about. It was about the need to never stop exploring and researching new work. Yes, there will be setbacks (it is worth noting that the facility/town of Eureka is heavily based on Los Alamos National Laboratory and surrounding areas, considered the birthplace of the atomic bomb... and the inspiration for Black Mesa), but there will ALSO be amazing discoveries that make the world a better place. And if we piss that away, where will we be?

Warehouse 13 is more about the exploration side of Star Trek, with a hefty dose of finding the beauty in the world itself. While not touched on as frequently, every single Artifact had a story and was created by sheer force of will. Some were bad, some were good. And my favorite episode in the entire series touched on that: In a season full of very bad and dangerous artifacts (in fact, I think that was the one where Jake from the Animorphs got his neck snapped), Mrs Fredericks (CCH Pounder herself) takes Claudia out to see the birth of an Artifact: A woman putting herself in the line of fire to protect a baby during a robbery gone bad. A perfectly benign artifact created solely through her own will. And many episodes (particularly the later seasons) focused on that: yes, there would be a super deadly hour glass that can destroy buildings. But the episode would be more focused on the people behind it and why the world put them in that position.
    At its core, Warehouse 13 was about exploration and adventure. And the series finale focused on that by essentially being a clip show of episodes that never happened. And, at its core, it was about how Warehouse 13, and by extension the world, is a place of Endless Wonder.

The Syphilis Network has its work cut out for it. And based on Defiance, I don't see them doing anything beyond generic pulp. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with pulp (I just wish it weren't Space Romeo and Juliet...), but to go from "The Resurgence of a Golden Age that nobody watched" to that is pretty depressing.
    The Expanse has the potential to be good, but it will be Star Trek Voyager good: A fine Sci-fi adventure with really interesting episodes, but not the kind of thing that inspires the next generation of scientists and writers.
    Last edited by gundato; 20-05-2014 at 03:22 AM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ok. So. Arrow finished and 24 is rubbish, so I need a new TV show. Interesting candidates are: Breaking Bad, Orphan Black, Fringe, Weeds, Person of Interest, Almost Human (BBC), Broadchurch. The Wire (season 2+). Any votes?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Ok. So. Arrow finished and 24 is rubbish, so I need a new TV show. Interesting candidates are: Breaking Bad, Orphan Black, Fringe, Weeds, Person of Interest, Almost Human (BBC), Broadchurch. The Wire (season 2+). Any votes?
    Have you watched "Prison Break"? The first season of that show is phenomenal.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I saw occasional episodes of the end of the first and start of the second season. I think I spoilered myself. It seemed fun, but I didn't really watch it properly. :-(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    The Wire, definitely.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Wire. It's one of the most important and best TV shows ever created.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Orphan Black. Main actress is phenomenal. The Wire is great but you can savour that at your leisure some other time. Orphan Black you can be up to speed in a long weekend.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Double post due to shenanigans.

I've been watching Person of Interest on the ol' Netflix. Frankly, I thought it was great but it did take a while to grow on me. It started off a bit bland your generic post 9/11 paranoia guff, but once it hits its stride and getting into the mythos of the show it starts to become really interesting. It was created by Jonathon Nolan and suffers very much from typical Nolan tropes, like very po-faced characters lacking in humour, everyone beings unnecessarily cryptic and rude and most situations being solved with a gun fight. The whole premise is pretty intriguing though and the way it layers on the various stories works really well.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Okay, anyone who hasn't watched the Fargo TV series, go do so now.

Why are you still reading this, when you should be watching Fargo? Go o...WAIT! Watch the movie first.

But really, how great is that show?

Network Hub
    I'm going to begin my journey through Battlestar Galactica either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how blitzed I am after the hockey game is over.

I watched the pilot on premier night, and for some reason it didn't compel me to keep watching. I didn't even finish the opening night.

But now I'm in a position where I'm looking for a fresh longer-term viewing project, and I've heard many good things. I'm going to soldier on even if it has the same initial effect as the first time. I'll only give up if the entire first season ends up not being my thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Finished up the fifth season of the X-Files, it still has some great episodes sprinkled here and there. I'll watch the first film, but as for the other seasons, filmed in LA, I'm torn. If I don't watch them it feels incomplete, but if I watch them it might retroactively ruin a great TV series.
    Decisions, decisions...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

If I recall correctly, you should watch the movie (it's great for a fan of the series). Never again go back to the tv show.