Page 14 of 158 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Whilst the opening arc to season 3 is good, it's not incredibly subtle, although your mileage may vary on how much that impacts your enjoyment. I'd generally agree though; 1 and 2 are far better, with episodes from 3 and 4 popping up nicely, though the bulk of them are otherwise iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I think they key problem with a lot of TV writing is that they tend to do their world building as they go along and subsequently a lot of 'garbage' gets introduced as a series progresses in terms of mythologyand then the writers find themselves having to justify why things are that way (it seemed cool at the time, but doesn't hold up under scrutiny).
    And I'll agree with this. Something to be said for British brevity; I felt like no time was really wasted in, say, Ashes to Ashes (particularly its final series). I'd say though that this issue was the biggest offender for BSG; pretty much everything else I could accept or pass-off, but some of the decisions came off as being simply inane at best or completely detrimental at worst. Seriously, what the bloody hell was their plan?!?! Argh. I'm always wary of shows with incredibly slow to uncover mythos because it suggests that the drip-feed is that they can keep up with writing more stuff for it. Another reason I enjoy Farscape so much, because it does this in reverse, revealing things that are connected, but without the context to make you realise why. The revelation is retroactive and makes previous things make more sense. Season 2 is a shining example of this very fact.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Something to be said for British brevity; I felt like no time was really wasted in, say, Ashes to Ashes (particularly its final series)

Actually i would argue against this, there is something about British TV and serialization that I hate, its like you get 40 minutes of your episode and then you get 10 minutes of the guy who is supposed to be in the serialized parts tell you nothing new and just is there so you don't forget he is there. At least at some level a lot of american TV isn't that god awful about its serialization with the serialized stuff actually being part of the episode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'd say there were of the same thing and denote bad writing. That is something that permeates every country's shows, unfortunately!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Was down at a friend's last week, and the almost-customary season's worth of Coupling was watched with them and their housemates over a few days.

Finished season 3 of The Wire. I think I took to this series more quickly than the second one and I really liked some of the characters who got more screentime. Looking forward to making a start on season 4 soon.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    *Sigh* Back on Walking Dead in the UK - episode 8. As usual a character had to momentarily lose all cognitive function in order to put themselves in immediate danger and leave you wondering just how this group survived as long as they have, and there was a pointless zombie jump scare. This happens every single episode to distract you from the fact that NOTHING IS HAPPENING. I hope to god they move out soon, because this farm has practically killed the series for me.

On the plus side, that Rick scene was almost worth the 50 mins of nothing. Almost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Finished season 3 of The Wire. I think I took to this series more quickly than the second one and I really liked some of the characters who got more screentime. Looking forward to making a start on season 4 soon.
    The Wire is one of those few shows that starts out excellent and only has an upward trajectory in quality. By that virtue, I'm head-over-heels in love with Season 5, and I think that Clark Johnson is my favorite cast member in any season (which is saying a helluva lot)

I've been watching Party Down recently. I'm constantly surprised how well-written it really is, but unfortunately it panders a little too much to US Office-style workplace romance subplots. Not a hideous sin, but for all its edgy humor and its rather brilliant structure (each episode focuses on a different party, so the setting is always different) the foregone conclusions about who's fucking who are just tedious.

Oh, and I marathon'd through the first two seasons of The League the other day. Fucking brilliant show; it's a more grounded version of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, with the caricatures toned down 12 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The Wire is one of those few shows that starts out excellent and only has an upward trajectory in quality. By that virtue, I'm head-over-heels in love with Season 5, and I think that Clark Johnson is my favorite cast member in any season (which is saying a helluva lot)
    S'funny, I just went through my own marathon and season 5 I felt was the weakest. Still brilliant mind, but something just a bit...stretched?...about it. Some characters had sort of exhausted their appeal and the plot didn't have as many feints and changes to it as I felt other seasons did.

(For example, the serial killer [veiled for spoilers] story: it kicked off in, what episode 2? "McNulty has a plan". Episodes 3-7 were "Will the plan pay off?" Episodes 7-9 "Yes". And only by the finale did we get "The shit hits the plan".
    Felt a bit dramatically thin for me.

Plus, removing the media aspect from it, it was all pretty well-tread ground for the show. And even with that aspect, I didn't feel it had enough punch to it as compared to the light shone on other areas in other seasons. That was a huge exciting thing to explore. I felt dissatisfied by what got done.

/nitpicking an awesome show

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    S'funny, I just went through my own marathon and season 5 I felt was the weakest. Still brilliant mind, but something just a bit...stretched?...about it. Some characters had sort of exhausted their appeal and the plot didn't have as many feints and changes to it as I felt other seasons did.

(For example, the serial killer [veiled for spoilers] story: it kicked off in, what episode 2? "McNulty has a plan". Episodes 3-7 were "Will the plan pay off?" Episodes 7-9 "Yes". And only by the finale did we get "The shit hits the plan".
    Felt a bit dramatically thin for me.

Plus, removing the media aspect from it, it was all pretty well-tread ground for the show. And even with that aspect, I didn't feel it had enough punch to it as compared to the light shone on other areas in other seasons. That was a huge exciting thing to explore. I felt dissatisfied by what got done.

/nitpicking an awesome show
    Yeah, season 5 was probably the weakest for me, although season two starts very slowly and jarringly moves away from characters we're invested in - I know a lot of people who threw in the towel during season two and had to be prodded repeatedly to get back on the wagon.

But it's still better than pretty much any other tv show around.

Good news for Community fans yesterday also, it's returning to air on March 15.

Regarding the Walking Dead, it's starting to piss me off, every week we get at least one awesome bit, surrounded by dreary melodrama and Stupid People Doing Stupid Things, During An Apocalypse (which I still maintain should be the show's name). If the writers can accept their shortcomings and give it some urgency and drive, without resorting to idiocy it could still be potentially great, but right now it's some way off.

If I were writing a show about a zombie-infested apocalypse, setting the show on a safe backwater farm would be pretty much the last thing I'd do. It's almost like the zombies are an inconvenience, detracting from their sub-standard soap opera storylines, when for any sane viewer, it should be the other way around.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Regarding the Wire, I felt the 5th season was the weakest - didn't feel like it really added anything beyond showing how Carcetti couldn't really turn things around like he promised and actually intended. However on consideration I came to the conclusion that was almost the point; nothing has really changed. The real power is out of their hands and at best, there's been a marginal improvement to the people of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    It's almost like the zombies are an inconvenience, detracting from their sub-standard soap opera storylines, when for any sane viewer, it should be the other way around.
    Budget :/ We're seeing on-the-cheap episodes at the mo I feel, hopefully saving up for some great bigger pieces later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Good news for
    Community fans yesterday also, it's returning to air on March 15.

OOO THATS NICE!

Has anyone seen the latest season of American Dad? The first episode was absolutly insane, being a kind of musical about a hot tub that is voiced by Cee Lo Green that perverts Stan. It was the most funny and weirdest thing I've seen on TV in a long time. And the other episodes are following it I think. Probably the best Animated series on TV right now and Family Guy can suck it.

Semi-related, I'm watching Malaysia vs Japan in a football match. Live.

/sigh

Obscure Node
    I am watching CSI NY..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Watched the first season of Sons of Anarchy. It's shit. Still, I find myself watching the second season.

Spartacus. Now, it has its shortcomings, a non-existent plot, simplistic characters, atrocious acting, the nauseating camera cuts and overused slow-mo, yet I found it to be quite enjoyable. It lost me in the season finale though which was was perhaps one of the worst I've seen (still enjoyed it). Downloading the prequel mini-series.

The Wire: watched a couple of episodes, and I'm in awe of the realism and grittiness on display here. You wouldn't believe such a thing could come out of america after watching shit like CSI, Bones, Castle and every other police drama.

Regarding the Walking Dead, it's starting to piss me off, every week we get at least one awesome bit, surrounded by dreary melodrama and Stupid People Doing Stupid Things, During An Apocalypse (which I still maintain should be the show's name).
    Indeed. On the most recent episode the bit that promised something actually happening was meeting the dodgy guys in the bar. Foolishly thought that was going to build up to something. Which it still might, I guess. But eh, I'm rapidly going through the "I'm watching it because I hope it'll be good" to the territory of realising I'm only watching it because it's Something I Watch.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Another episode down, again with no black guy in sight. I think the longest he's been on screen since episode 1 & 2 was during the mid season barn shootout. You'd have more luck finding Waldo in a candy cane factory than the elusive mythical creature known as 'T-Dog'.

If anybody here has forked out for the Farscape Blu-Ray set, have you noticed to your annoyance that the audio conversion process they've used for some reason means that audio seems slower? I swear, the main title theme seems to be dragged out longer than it is on the DVD.

Banned
    Regarding the Walking Dead, it's starting to piss me off, every week we get at least one awesome bit, surrounded by dreary melodrama and Stupid People Doing Stupid Things, During An Apocalypse (which I still maintain should be the show's name). If the writers can accept their shortcomings and give it some urgency and drive, without resorting to idiocy it could still be potentially great, but right now it's some way off.

If I were writing a show about a zombie-infested apocalypse, setting the show on a safe backwater farm would be pretty much the last thing I'd do. It's almost like the zombies are an inconvenience, detracting from their sub-standard soap opera storylines, when for any sane viewer, it should be the other way around.
    TBH Jockie, that pretty much sums up the comic book series. It's basically East-enders with zombies and guns. The premise was good, but Kirkman is a pretty limited writer truth be told. When Frank Darabont introduced the idea of Daryl and his crossbow, Kirkman was all 'I never thought of that'. Also albeit the show is set where the comic series takes place, Kirkman also singularly failed to realise there was a CDC (centre for disease control) in Atlanta.

Been watching the 1st season of The Wire on Sky Atlantic, week by week, so no marathon binges.

I'm finding it really slow paced and hard to get into i must admit. At this point (episode 8) I feel like i'm forcing myself to watch the show, expecting a sudden upturn of brilliance.

I'm finding it hard to really connect with any of the characters, sometimes I can't even understand what they're saying they use so much street jargon that my home counties ears can't follow. I also find the 4:3 aspect ratio really distracting and alienating, feels really unnatural to watch it on my widescreen TV.

I will of course press on till the end of season 1, and then re-evaluate it. Am i missing something? I found the Sopranos to be totally captivating and addictive in contrast.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    Been watching the 1st season of The Wire on Sky Atlantic, week by week, so no marathon binges.

I'm finding it really slow paced and hard to get into i must admit.
    I tried to watch Boardwalk Empire with my parents on Sky Atlantic when the channel first launched and was free-to-view. The adverts completely ruined the pacing of the show, disrupting things way more than I ever thought possible. Everything seemed disjointed because the show wasn't following the general TV formula of 10 minute narrative chunks and arcs which are guaranteed to reach some kind of conclusion within the hour. The difference between the original HBO broadcast and this was profound and whilst I never watched the Wire with adverts, I imagine it would be the same.

You're not the only one who struggles with the dialogue though, my parents didn't get into the first season until they tried subtitles :) It also helped when they finally stopped trying to read or talk through the episodes like we do with most TV shows thanks to the clear signposting of important developments that you need to pay attention to. The bloke behind The Wire wrote a great piece about how HBO was the only place he could have made his show because it was trying to abandon most of the conventions of TV fiction, particularly where crime and policework is concerned.

Also, The Sopranos in many ways is a more conventional show than the Wire, with each episode being relatively self-contained. There's also a clear protagonist - well, and many other differences when you really get down to it. Tthe two don't really compare that well beyond being great in different ways.