Page 142 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 3021
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Did Dollhouse become worth watching? Loved Buffy and Firefly, but Dollhouse seemed to get a lot of criticism in the first season and I never got around to watching it.

Finished the first series of Dollhouse now. The latter half of the series really picked up and became a lot more interesting.

Spoilers: That is a pretty big jump forward in time. Can't say I saw that coming. A bit high concept, but I can roll with it. Looking forward to seeing where this is going now.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Did Dollhouse become worth watching? Loved Buffy and Firefly, but Dollhouse seemed to get a lot of criticism in the first season and I never got around to watching it.
    Yeah, definitely. Basically come the second season, they realised they'd narrowly got renewed, and figured season three wouldn't happen. So they basically stuffed four years worth of plot into one season, so the whole show goes kinda batshit crazy and totally pushes that "what are the consequences?" concept to the extreme.

Anyone else love shows like that? Dollhouse is one of the few Western examples I can think of, of a show that sets up some rules, then entirely explores the concept and exactly how far down the rabbit hole you can go with it. So many Western shows like Dollhouse in season one, effectively introduce an idea, but it's a McGuffin, designed to push along a character-based story. At first you're asking "but if this was the case, wouldn't this happen?" but eventually stop asking those questions, and just put them into the whole 'suspension of disbelief' category, and just acknowledge that the show doesn't work like that (superhero stuff is especially bad for this - the fringes of the powers are rarely explored).

It seems to happen a lot more in Japanese stuff and anime. Death Note comes to mind. And the 999 / Virtue's Last Reward visual novels. Liar Game I've not watched yet but is on the list. Battle Royale films sort of fit too. Any other suggestions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Finsihed Season 2 Of Orange Is The New Black, Entertaining, Heartwarming, and great Themes as ever. This season has quite a tragic tinge to a lot of the characters more then Season 1 did, and the flashbacks were definitely telling more of a tragic tale. We got a few characters stories that I wanted to know more of so that was really great, V who was the villian pretty much of the story was nasty and made the characters you really love have so much conflict which is what a good villian should do. It also made some really brutal violent moments happen that made me wince a lot of times. Ouch! It really is amazing how good this show is and how entertaining it is while also tackling some quite weighty themes. I'm really interested to see where it is going to go next since it does have a time limit and some of the characters(i.e Larry!) don't really seem to have a purpose anymore but the show is still sticking with their stories.

I weirdly enjoyed the Larry bits in the second season, I'm just so annoyed by the fact that the alex/piper thing is probably coming back, it was by far the most annoying bits of the first seasons.

I've been watching the original 1959-1964 series of The Twilight Zone. Not viewing them in any particular order, just going by episode titles that looked interesting.

In one called 'Death Ship', Quincy himself Jack Klugman turns up as the captain of a flying saucer crew who stumble on a crashed copy of their own ship with their recently deceased bodies inside. It starts off damn well, but then fucking hell, it doesn't half make some leaps of plot, most of which come from exposition heavy dialogue that seems to appear completely unprompted.

By contrast, 'Nightmare At 20,000 Feet' is still brilliant. Shatner is the perfect choice of actor for a man descending into utter mania very, very quickly.

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    I've been watching the original 1959-1964 series of The Twilight Zone. Not viewing them in any particular order, just going by episode titles that looked interesting.
    I never watched the original, but the reimagining in ~2004 with narration by Forrest Whittaker was great. They even remade some of the most striking episodes, like that one.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Yeah Dollhouse is worth the watch. Second season keeps up the quality of the latter parts of the first. If I'd seen the conclusion at the time I would have been disappointed and slated it but in the context of another Whedon cancelled show it's better than the fate suffered by Firefly so I was willing to roll with it, ignore the ridiculousness and just enjoy the show's send off. In that regard it delivered. Still can't help but feel there was more that could have been done with what was a great concept if they'd just had a little more time to play with it.

Edit - I'm with Deano's post above, which I'd only skimmed before this response, in that they do a good job particularly in both season finales) of exploring the consequences of the technology and again, given a bit more time to work with it that approach could really have played dividends. In terms of other shows that do that sort of thing, Heroes tried it to an extent, but while it worked initially the writing became so cack handed that it became one of the many irksome things about the show post (the absolutely excellent) first season. There's also quite a few Farscape episodes that play the "what if" sort of tack, particularly in relation to the wormhole tech.

---

I'm really enjoying this season of 24. I don't want to call it as being the best since season 5 (I did that with 7 after they recovered from a shaky start but they dropped the ball with the ending, season 8 was fun but felt more like Jack's revenge fantasy rather than a fully fleshed out season) in case they bugger it up but it has really built up nicely and the last couple of episodes in particular have been 24 at the top of its game (they still haven't managed an episode without mentioning Kate's bloody husband though!). While I think it's fairly obvious to see where it is going spoilersA couple of episodes to wrap up the terrorist drone crew, who will go back on their promise to destroy the drones thanks to the son and also to wrap up station chief's treachery - then a time skip and we'll be dealing with WikiLeak blokes treachery and the Russians trying to apprehend Jack)spoilers end, it's going to be an entertaining journey to get there.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 17-06-2014 at 11:17 PM.

I remember 3rd Rock From The Sun (next on my re-watch list) making an awesome reference to NA20kF when Dick met The Big Giant Head, played by Shatner, at an airport, riffing on the fact that John Lithgow played the same character in The Twilight Zone: The Movie's remake of that episode.

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Third rock from the sun was awesome. One of the best comedies in Tv. I should definitely rewatch it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'm just so annoyed by the fact that the alex/piper thing is probably coming back, it was by far the most annoying bits of the first seasons.

Yeah I think Piper is a much better and stronger character without the Alex relationship drama. I kind of want the piper chaarcter to realise that she can make her own story and doesn't need Larry to make it for her. I don't know if they will do that though it is a possibility since the character is based off the woman who's made the book they are inspired by.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post

In one called 'Death Ship', Quincy himself Jack Klugman turns up as the captain of a flying saucer crew who stumble on a crashed copy of their own ship with their recently deceased bodies inside. It starts off damn well, but then fucking hell, it doesn't half make some leaps of plot, most of which come from exposition heavy dialogue that seems to appear completely unprompted.

By contrast, 'Nightmare At 20,000 Feet' is still brilliant. Shatner is the perfect choice of actor for a man descending into utter mania very, very quickly.
    There's also an early episode starring a very young Dennis Hopper.

I just watched one with Burgess Meredith (Penguin in Adam Wests' Batman) called 'The Obsolete Man', where a totalitarian dictatorship sentences a man to die because he is a librarian and The State has outlawed books, therefore if books serve no purpose then neither does a librarian.

From there it turns into this incredibly unsubtle piece of anti-atheist propaganda with the Chancellor passing sentence while screaming like a madman about how The State has proven there is no god while the Librarian is presented as some sort of righteous martyr, before the Chancellor openly praises men like Hitler and Stalin and claims that their only crime was 'not going far enough', before he's ultimately revealed to be a coward who acknolwedges the existence of God moments before what he believes to be his own imminent death.

The whole thing has a very "I hated the way I interpreted Nietszche, morals can only come from a higher power" feel to it, even down to the dialogue making reference to the Bible as "the opiate".

Last edited by Rath; 18-06-2014 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Added video.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Episodes is really something. Incredibly well written and well acted. Do recommend it!

Hannibal Season 1,2

Homeland Season 1,2,3

True Detective Season 1

The Fall Season 1

Louie Season 1,2,3,4

Inside Amy Schumer Season 1,2

The Kroll Show Season 1,2

Sherlock Season 1,2,3

Game of Thrones Season 1,2,3,4

Downton Abbey Season 1,2,3,4

Arrested Development Season 1,2,3

Masters of Sex Season 1

Big Love Season 1,2,3,4,5

Luther Season 1,2,3

...too many to mention really :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Episodes is really something. Incredibly well written and well acted. Do recommend it!
    I really need to get around to watching the rest of it (on;y watched the first season) not least because Tamsin Greig and Stephen Mangan are awesome. Although seeing them in a show together does make me pine for another programme like Green Wing, it's been a while since there's been such a gloriously silly yet absorbing comedy on TV.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Fargo. Series finale didn't quite play out as expected, but it was still good and both BBT & Freeman delivered in their own ways.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I really need to get around to watching the rest of it (on;y watched the first season) not least because Tamsin Greig and Stephen Mangan are awesome. Although seeing them in a show together does make me pine for another programme like Green Wing, it's been a while since there's been such a gloriously silly yet absorbing comedy on TV.
    i just watched first season as well. apparently it's get even better with season 2 and 3.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There are dozens of awesome looking shows right now, yet I keep continuing with 24 even though it's predictable pants and just rehashing all the stuff we've seen a dozen times before. Strangely, it still manages to keep that "just one more episode" factor it always had, despite being half as good. Still with Game of Thrones done, maybe I have space for another show off my backlog.

About half-way through Orange is the new Black. That was some hilariously bad American-lady-trying-to-speak-German in episode six. I still like the series overall though. The Netflix shows are pretty decent so far, asides from the Twilight thingy.