Page 143 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 3235
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    After seeing the first 8 episodes of season 8 of the X-Files, I'm glad I didn't skip it. There are still good episodes, and even Robert "Single Face" Patrick can't ruin it. He can't literally have a different facial expressions, it's like his muscles are welded into place. It's easy to see why he was chosen to play a Terminator.
    To cope with Mulder's disappearance, they put Scully and Skinner(!) as the wacky theories guys this time around, and Doggett as the "only listen to the facts" man. Not even considering the effects of that on the "mythology", that has already been utterly destroyed since season 5 at least, Patrick still has only one face, so he can't even feign surprise to all the things that happen. He's just nonchalant regarding everything.
    The X Files would really work as an anthology, just Mulder and Scully (and the Terminator dude) solving cases. This thing about overarching plots falls flat on its face if they have to keep going for more than 2-3 seasons. Fringe suffers from the same thing, so it's not some special thing about this kind of shows, it's just a fact. That's probably why The Twilight Zone is still relevant.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yep overarching plots especially for science fiction shows don't really work out to well, its probably why most have them do the Monster of The Week stuff. The problem is most monster of the week stuff can get a bit old(probably because X-Files did all of them!) and a big mystery overarching plot can get you into a show a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    because X-Files did all of them!
    More than 200 episodes, this is literally true.
    Looking back, this is the first post I made in this thread. 2 months as of now, this is much faster than I thought.

Orphan Black Season 2 Finale: I thought it was pretty good. the last few episodes of this season have been kind of aimless, and some of the plot is/was getting a bit muddled. I do like that a lot of the characters (Mr's S, Paul, even Cal to some extent) have there own agenda, even if we're never sure what that agenda is. It makes the story more interesting than the "obviously good vs the obviously bad".

[SPOILERS] The Male clone program is an interesting if somewhat expected development, as I had always assumed they'd run into a bunch of male clones at some point. Though during the build up, I thought they were going to reveal that Paul was a clone. I think the male clone's should be enough to keep Season 3 interesting if nothing else. [/SPOILERS]

Also, at this point I think Helena could be the star of her own spin-off show.

Orange is the New Black is one of the best shows I've watched in a while. And Suits. Suits is a really good show if you can get past their very occationally cliched writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    Orphan Black Season 2 Finale // Also, at this point I think Helena could be the star of her own spin-off show.
    I feel similarly to you. My concerns about them needing to have an end point, that I mention back in this thread, I think really starts to come to the fore-front with this finale. Things are developing, and quickly too, but there's a bigger potential than ever to go down a bad road. That said, even the finale, which wasn't the best episode in the series, certainly maintains the ludicrous pacing the show has had, and I'm ever thankful for that. Now if it can avoid conspiracy-layer-on-layer of bullshit that other stories have done, we'll be onto a definite winner.

Also, did you know that entire sequence was improvised? Something to do with needing more material, or what not, so the two of them ad libbed. Obviously it worked, but it also added to the surreal nature of what was going on, that gif included.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Mother of god...
    On the middle of Season 8 of the X-Files they not only brought back Mulder from the grave, it was literally the whole show too. This bring the show back to it's true form. At least for this double feature. Let's see if they can keep this streak on. I'm betting they can't.
    The best scene is clearly Mulder faking he didn't remember a thing. It's exactly what he would say!

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...the-new-black/
    I found it quite interesting if you want an opinion on the realism of the show

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DarevoltAndrew View Post
    Orange is the New Black is one of the best shows I've watched in a while. And Suits. Suits is a really good show if you can get past their very occationally cliched writing.
    Suits is such good entertainment. And I really do want a boss like Harvey Specter.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    On the middle of Season 8 of the X-Files (...)This bring the show back to it's true form
    Nevermind, it was a one-hit wonder. In the next episode everybody goes back to normal, Mulder being Mulder, Scully stopping being Mulder and being Scully, and Dogget... he has nothing to do really, other than being unjustly scolded by Mulder.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Let's see if they can keep this streak on. I'm betting they can't.
    Called it!

Activated Node
    Currently watching Breaking Bad Season 4. Honestly so far the only season that really hooked me has been S3. S1 and S2 suffered a lot from some amounts of deus ex machina saving the protagonists. While the writers managed to still have such events have an evergrowing effect on many characters, sometimes I cant stop feeling it has been a bit contrived. Also, I am quite surprised how many people admire Walter White, when he is clearly becoming more and more of a total despicable asshole, and from what I have read, it gets worse.

I was also watching Game of Thrones, but stopped halfway season 2 due to getting hooked up watching the borgias. GoT is a well done show, but I feel it lacks the soap opera intrigue the Borgias had in plenty (and for grim dark fantasy settings, I tend to prefer berserk, despite the lack of politics). I will probably resume watching it once I am done with BB, but I dont feel in a rush. It doesnt help that I only own the first two seasons and they are on dvd, which means disc swapping every two episodes and as an spoiled netflix brat, I prefer to just press a button and watch continuosly, and I will keep waiting to watch the other two seasons so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Finished S02 of The Americans. The intelligent, tense and often heartwrenching show about Soviet spies living in the US.
    If you like history, the Cold War or a good spy story, this is the show for you. It's outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Finished S02 of The Americans. The intelligent, tense and often heartwrenching show about Soviet spies living in the US.
    If you like history, the Cold War or a good spy story, this is the show for you. It's outstanding.
    Looks like my IMDb Watchlist has hit critical mass. I now have most recommendations already wishlisted for an unspecified "later"...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The 21st century the age of backlog and not enough time!

Lord almighty, they bring back Krycek to be the good guy PROTECTING Scully, while in the same season(!) he tried to force her to abort. The X-Files is not running on fumes anymore(End of Season 8), they turned to greener fuels, grade A bullshit. If they pull a Snape on him, I'll rage impotently for watching a show 13 years after it aired...
    EDIT: Oh lord, the season finale is even worse? Terminators? The "best" part is when the entire plot for the last season is just left hanging, because they have to have an happy ending. They kept piling up the threats (because the budget grew a lot), painted themselves into a corner and then to resolve it they went "Fuck it", and all the bad guys just walk way, with literally no explanation whatsoever. Status Quo is restored and the next season can start without hitches.
    Last edited by somini; 27-06-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Is Daria worth watching?
    post in progress

Obscure Node
    House of Cards

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ok, I know you guys love Orphan Black, but the second season has been really rather meh. It's mostly a lot of headless chickens running around directionlessly. I'm on about episode 6 of 10.

People run away, then they come back, then they run away again. Characters come and go and their motivation seems to change every week. Things seem to get repeated again and again. People are friends and then bad guys, oh no, they are friends again, oh no their bad guys again... oh, lets trust them again then. Helena is on the team, no she's off it, no she's on it, no let's just forget her. Cop dude and Brother have bugger all to do, so just show up occasionally to show they are still alive. Seems like something might actually happen in the next episode... although I have no confidence it'll lead anywhere.

It's frustrating, because it started so well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Season 2 screamed of having too many ideas and not knowing how to fully explore them, compared to season 1 which had lots of ideas and seemed to know which ones to use and which ones to not. The minute-to-minute enjoyment of season 2 is, I feel, a little more consistent, but on the whole s1 does feel noticeably superior.

But don't you worry, episode 8 of s2 will blow your mind... ...