Page 150 of 169 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3364
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    To me Fire Walk With Me is not a film for answers
    Well, then you're in luck! IIRC, the new 90 minutes promises more answers! Happy day!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Orphan Black gets thoroughly back on track for those last two episodes, a few silly scenes aside. (Whilst the dancing scene is technically amazing, it's also really silly. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there, otherwise it's not at all a spoiler.)"

I'm not sure whether it got back on track or not in the last few episodes. A lot of big things happened, but that hasn't really been the problem with the show. Infact I'd say the problem has been the opposite - they keep throwing too many things at the wall to see what stick. It feels like they're making it up as they go along. Like they're trying to think of surprises and twists that they can cram in, rather than actually have a plan. That was exhillarating and surprising for a while, but eventually it becomes tiresome and all the surprises lose their impact.

In another show, those last 2-3 episodes might have had a big impact, but in this show I'm not sure they really did. Killing off a major character unexpectedly? Meh.. did that last week. Main character getting kidnapped.. er.. isn't that like the 12th time?? Surprising twists about the male love interest... er.. i'd kind of forgotten about him, and he'd already changed sides so many times that I couldn't remember which side he was on.

They have a serious tendency to twist and then double twist within a very short period, rendering everything irrelevant. Introduce new big bad lady. I episode later she's a good guy. Make french lady boss, 10 minutes later make her leave. Bring characters back together, 3 minutes later one gets kidnapped (again). Introduce new big bad religious guy, kill him after 4 weeks. Etc..

The dancing scene rocked, and was actually the main thing that made things worthwhile. I can't decide if i'm that excited to watch the next season though. I can't say I care much to find out about the new big big big bad organisation (that replaced topside, who were the new big big bad organisation for 5 mins)(who replaced the big bad lady, who replaced Leeky, who replaced the religious guy, etc..)

They need to get the sisters together, pick a bad guy and make a plan. And they need to either find something for all the side characters to do (Art, Detective Lady, Vic, Paul, etc...) or write them out.

They really like their kidnapping. Also doing bad things to the kid (but not really) in order to make the protagonist care about the plot. I seriously hate children in stories. Either they are disgustingly Mary Sue-esque abominations that are impossibly well-behaved or they just serve as a lazy motivator and humanoid macguffins. The one in Orphan Black manages to be both and it makes my eyes roll.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Does anyone here watch Hell on Wheels or know anything about railroads? Because I have a question (it's not really spoiler-y, since it happens right at the beginning of the first episode of the season and has nothing to do with previous events):

Why would anyone want to build a railroad over a frozen lake/river? Are they complete strangers to the phenomenon called thaw? Last time I checked, there wasn't permafrost in freaking Wyoming. Even if there was, a train generates heat. Then there's the issue of the ice being strong enough to carry a damn train, temperature notwithstanding. And how did they even build it? I'm not a railroad worker myself, but the way I imagine it, it was one of two ways:
    1) They used railroad bolts, as per usual, which would most likely crack the ice something fierce and severely reduce its bearing capacity.
    2) They just, you know... put it there. Laid it down piece by piece on the ice, shrugged their shoulders, said the 19th century equivalent of YOLO and hoped for the best. Which would be about as intelligent as building a railroad on frozen water.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing Hell on Wheels of being thoroughly logical otherwise, but this just baffled me with its stupidity. And I'm sorry about the rant, but for some reason, I can't seem to get over it. Is there some reasonable explanation? Did people actually do these things? Because either there's a good explanation, and probably a quite interesting one, or (brace yourself) I've found a logical fallacy in a TV show.

As for my opinion on the episode itself, my lasting impression was "Railroad on ice". Nothing else really caught my attention, other than them swapping in a new actress in a role (I preferred the first one. She had something special about her.). It was watchable, but not really interesting. It picks up where it left off, there's really not much new. Beyond that actress. Hopefully, it'll pick up steam further on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    OB stuff
    So here's the thing. Because the pace of season 2 was a little whack compared to 1, I think it picking up again comes as a bit of a surprise; I certainly felt that, although obviously you may (have?) thought differently. I do think there's a risk of the general conspiracy problem of layers-on-layers, but I remain optimistic. I think season 3 will be make or break, where the make is more "Keep quality consistent" and break would be really reducing the show to scraps. Not having a centralised 'baddie' I don't think is a problem because that's not the direction the show has ever really used. It needs something, but the focus is much more on Sarah and co.

The ending, in terms of causing cliff-hanger feelings, left me a little flat, but I'm confident of a return to season 1's overall superior quality.

In the mean time, I've been hankering for some proper sci-fi to watch. Some proper, good sci-fi. Perhaps the Guardian of the Galaxy's comparisons to Farscape aren't entirely wrong, but I prefer to think that GotG has reminded me how god damn awesome Farscape was. So I've gone back to my blu-rays and after about 2 years of watching it, I resumed last night from where I left off. Given how grim Die Me Dichotomy is, I feel a 2 year gap is properly just enough to get rid of the sense of despair and depression. Remember, Farscape is a show where the baddies win and frequently too. And if they don't, it's almost always a pyrrhic victory for the goodies.

So off I started then with season 3 and Season of Death. I was attempting to do a death count, as caused by the protagonists (including self-defence) but lost count at episode 5 because this is one of the most aptly named seasons in a show there has been. The following episodes are all just a case of how bad things can get. Every episode it's "the ship will be destroyed" or "[crew person] is going to die" and not only does it not get boring, but it gets down-right glum. This is a crew who have been shaken about, emotionally and physically, but they just keep on going. Gone are the odd quips of "Have you sent them the general message that we're pathetic?" and replaced with full-on self-deprication. "Of course it's a foe, we have no friends!" "This plan is so bad it could only be ours." And so on.

But it's so very good. It's still so alien. The colours are wild, the aliens are so alive, which is ridiculous because half of them are loaded with prosthetics, but they just work. Farscape is alien in a way GotG only dreams of being. But on top of that it has its deft touches along with its inabilities to pull punches. And it's sexy too. Not just Claudia Black, but everything about the show oozes this rough, sweaty feel about it all. God damn.

I'm half-way through season 3, having raced through 11 episodes in about a day. It is so utterly captivating and cool.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I loved Farscape. But, due to life circumstances at the time, I never finished watching it. I have the entire series on DVD (excluding the mini-series they made to end it), but I can't remember how far I got when I was watching it on TV.

So I keep thinking about going back and finishing it, but I can't remember all the details so I think I've have to go back to the very start and watch the whole thing again. Not a bad thing, but I have so many other new TV shows that I want to try.... and I've also been slightly worried that it might not be as good as i remember.
    If I was still young, free and single I could burn through all the seasons in a week, but...

On the new show front:
    Tried the first episode of Penny Dreadful, which seemed promising. It's always weird to see Timothy Dalton on TV, and Eva Green is just awesome, even when doing nothing. I think i'll continue.
    Totally differently, I tried the first episode of Broadchurch (on the basis that I wanted a British show and that it's a limited number of episodes). First episode was really well done, so I might continue with that too.
    And then of course the new Dr Who should be starting soon, I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I knew I could rely on you guys. Just started my annual watching of Farscape a couple of days ago, focusing on some of the background details. Pilot’s area has a crescent keyboard him with big large buttons that control all ship’s functions. See, Pilot has four arms but not what one would traditionally refer to as hands, and he’s highly proficient in multitasking. Also Moya has lots of little mouseholes where mechanical creatures that are a bit like the Mass Effect Keepers, scurry out of to keep the ship in order.

What I’m trying to say is things are designed to accommodate different species, rather than a human. Again, I sense a ‘well bloody duh’ coming on, but this isn’t necessarily something you can take for granted. Take Plinkett’s examples of both Starwars and Star Trek. In Starwars, Yoda whips out a lightsaber which gives him a huge disadvantage in reach, while in Star Trek the Remans have these really awkward keypads all over their own ship (imagine trying to type numbers in a small mobile phone with nails four inches long).

And I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy dreams of being alien. In superhero comic books, space is usually just another setting for humanoids of massive power to punch each other.

Also the Trao is like a cute little Cthulhu awww <3
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 18-08-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It's like I was saying, Farscape is just alien generally. This is reinforced so often, just from the various aliens there are to how humans are different (namely having poorer spectral vision culminating in the hilarious and deeply ironic "HUMANS. ARE. SUPERIOR."). That and how they take every traditional sci-fi cliché and shake them upside-down going "No, no, you can have fun with this, see?"

Also, Claudia Black.