Page 152 of 164 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 3261
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Outlander

A sassy WW2 nurse time travels to the Scottish highlands of 1743. Cue adventure and romance.
    It has a clunky start but four episodes in, I kinda want to read the books it's based on... It's so charming and the lead actress is awesome.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Outlander

A sassy WW2 nurse time travels to the Scottish highlands of 1743. Cue adventure and romance.
    It has a clunky start but four episodes in, I kinda want to read the books it's based on... It's so charming and the lead actress is awesome.
    Oh man. My wife and I are obsessed with this show. Even I'm starting to fall under the spell of the hunky Scotsmen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Kind of a dark episode for Doctor Who on Sunday, I think the 'heaven' is for people who were killed by him which he'll be confronted by later.

Didn't know about Outlander, one to look out for. Found some UK newspaper coverage of it, I didn't know the books were quite such a thing either.

Figures that the UK newspaper culture pages didn't get past line one before (very lazily) labelling it 'the new Game Of Thrones'

So far no UK channel has bought it, though my bet would be on Sky.

EDIT: I also love the quote in that piece from Orange Is The New Black S2 where Taystee explains the book: "Lady travels back in time to Scotland … hooks up with this big, sexy outlaw type, and they be gettin’ it day in and day out. Yo, it’s hot!”"
    Last edited by Colonel J; 01-09-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Really liked the second episode of Doctor Who, Ben Wheatley showed more of his weirder side with that going through the Dalek and the episode was beautifully shot a lot better then last weeks very definite "house style" direction. The Doctor is really cold and dark as ever which is interesting and very surprising especially coming from two Doctors that were very much about the feels, but Capaldi definitly does have the fun elements to counter-act it enough. Clara is even a lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Really liked the second episode of Doctor Who, Ben Wheatley showed more of his weirder side with that going through the Dalek and the episode was beautifully shot a lot better then last weeks very definite "house style" direction. The Doctor is really cold and dark as ever which is interesting and very surprising especially coming from two Doctors that were very much about the feels, but Capaldi definitly does have the fun elements to counter-act it enough. Clara is even a lot better!
    Couldn't agree more. I haven't enjoyed an episode of Doctor Who so much in a long time. I was drifted in and out of the show in the Matt Smith years but with Capaldi it's a must-watch again. Glad too that they seem to have jettisoned the romance angle early on, it never sat well with me.

I've always liked Capaldi but this has made me realise quite what a superb actor he is, he's working the line between darkness and fun brilliantly.

I watched the first one with my friend's young kids who only know the Doctor as Matt Smith and they were bored and confused by all the talky-talk and didn't like the scary old Scottish man at all. Next one's a Robin Hood romp which may win them back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    My main thought while watching the latest Dr Who was please could Channel 4 commission a show with the working title "Tyres and Vod go on a bender."

Apart from the good Doctor I've also been watching.

Archer - Wasn't sure at first but I think it was the running gag about the size of Lana's hands that maybe kept me watching (I'm a sucker for running gags, something for which I blame Robert Rankin). Glad I did, while it's a bit variable it's a nice bitesize non demanding program and once it gave the characters at least a few redeeming qualities instead of the all being absolutely horrible it found its groove nicely.

Orphan Black - Can't remember if I mentioned this or not as I haven't posted in a while. Still no harm in mentioning again just how brilliant it is.

24: Live Another Day - Best series of 24 since 5 wasn't it? Fun stuff.

Currently watching: Utopia - Only watched the first episode so far. Looks like it's going to be interesting. As a bit of a side note to the whole conspiracy stuff it made me realise how rare it is for this type of show (or indeed many shows, except comedies about teens which always play it for cringe value) to show main characters being laughably terrible at sex. Kind of refreshing in a way. Plus good to say Jamie from The Thick of It stayed in politics!

X Factor Every now and again I start watching it again (sue me!) and given that boring, boring tax avoider Gary Barlow has pissed off now seemed as good a time as any. The first live show will probably decide whether I'm in for the long haul. To watch it I require; some sort of judging spat, one or two novelty acts. as few vaguely competent cruise ship style acts as possible, somebody inexplicably terrible that nobody knows how they got through, Louis Walsh to be as clueless as ever (think that's a given), one act that has some quirk that makes them divide everyone's opinion (don't mind what side I'm on), a couple of actually talented people. Have that in the live shows and I'll stick with it As an example series 5 and 7 were the vintage years; 5 because of some actual quality acts (Burke, JLS, Vickers; I'm not really a fan of the vast majority of their work but they do actually have talent) and 7 because the success of Jedward in series 6 (whose only other notable moments were just how forgettable eventual winner Joe McEldery was and the comic value of the over the top announce saying the name "Eoghan Quigg") led to so many excellent novelty acts most notably the wonderful Wagner. Never forget the bongos.

On the to watch list: The 2nd and 3rd series of the Danish version of The Killing, Broadchurch, Inside no 9.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 01-09-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    My main thought while watching the latest Dr Who was please could Channel 4 commission a show with the working title "Tyres and Vod go on a bender."
    You need to get a job, Doctor, or whatever your name isn't!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I did want to scream out "OH MY GOD IT'S VOD!" but then I realised no-one else in the room would know who I was talking about. Then Tyres came along to seal the deal. And now I'll be upset that Vod won't be a companion.

Fun fact about the 'big hands' joke in Archer; in case you weren't aware, Lana is very closely modelled after Aisha Tyler. And she does, in fact, have big hands. Shocking stuff. Also, by the end of episode 7 (specifically) I want you to come on here and transcribe the entire script because all of it is amazing. All of it.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am not as convinced by Capaldi as everyone else seems to be.
    He's not bad. But everyone keeps going on about him being an amazing actor, and based on only 2 episodes of Who I can't see it. He's just randomly switching between grumpy and nice, funny and dramatic.
    Of course, that's what the last 2 doctors did too, but just not quite so grumpy.

Then again, the first few Matt Smith episodes were the same. I'm sure he'll do fine.
    I just find it a bit odd that certain people online who were always complaining about Matt Smith now think Capaldi is the best thing since sliced bread, despite him doing exactly the same schtick, but just a bit more mean.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think it's necessarily the sort of personality they have to act, but the lines they're given and how they deliver it. The lines Capaldi has been given are so far, pretty good, and his grumpy scot delivery is something people obviously have an appetite for, greater than eccentric english twerp, even if they're both variants on that 'flip between grumpy and nice' archetype. I liked Smith's doctor plenty! But... he was given a very large share of very bad episodes and less than impressive dialogue to work with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think you've nailed it there Serene when it comes to delivery. I forgot who it was, I think Neil Gaiman, who said that when he wrote one of his episodes, he tried imagining how each Doctor would deliver that line and what differences there would be. A great example from this episode would be right at the beginning when The Doctor says "Try again" to the person he rescued. His tone and body language was super on point and got across a very clear personality aspect. It's very easy to hear that line said by Tenant or Smith and know how different it would be.