Page 19 of 162 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Catching up on some Adventure Time while the rest of my family is off visiting their family. On the surface it is a one-note parody of the "in your face awesome!" Saturday-morning cartoon ethos. Think back to the cheesy dialogue of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (or Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles if you are British and are jealous that ninjas are so awesome but were invented by a country of barbarians), with constant exclamations of "radical!" and etc.

That aside, the show has tons of funny, smart, and quirky references to roleplaying, fantasy, and video game tropes. And it is so very, very strange. Bizarre strange, more so than practically anything on TV. Hallucinatory, at times. The characters are not quite as likely to break out in song (usually set to chiptune backing) as they are to chop the heads off of some undead elves, but it does happen. And when it does it is often... touching.

The setting is not discussed much but is apparently some post-apocalyptic Earth or similar where magic now works but some remnants of technology exist. Finn the human was adopted as a child by Jake the dog's family. Finn may be the last human on the planet, and Jake can inexplicably change the shape and size of his body. Why? Because it's awesome, that's why.

They typically go on quests. Basically every female on the show is either a princess, a ghost, a ghost princess, or a vampire. Townfolk are made of candy and desserts.

Yeah, the show is pretty strange. And knowing that it is strange on purpose does not diminish the joy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by EOT View Post
    Mostly Suits, Game of Thrones and (oddly for me) SyFy's Grimm. Which is an enjoyable enough supernatural/crime drama.

I was watching The Walking Dead for a while but, frankly, I prefer the comics. Something about the series' departure from source grates at me something rotten.
    Aww, I got excited that there was new episodes of Suits but no such joy - I guess you're just behind ;P Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Regarding the Chase-Harmon schism...[snip]...
    Harmon apologised, Chase hasn't so far, but I don't think he will. I just think it's a case of two very opinionated and blunt people colliding - In the long run I hope it won't affect the show, but I'm disappointed in any community fan who happily says things like 'Get rid of Chevy, replace him with another actor/character'.
    Ta for the summary. Disappointing all round really. I do hope it gets another season but as time drags on it looking increasingly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    The first two were just to set things in motion I think, I did enjoy Tyrion's parts in the second episode.
    Peter Dinklage is increasingly excellent and to think I wrote him off after that god awful sci-fi show from a while back about sea monsters or some such - Threshold was it?

I've read the books so clearly I have a good idea of what's coming but to ensure I don't spoil anything I'd suggest you look at S1 as a similar template. That very much built up and up to climax - arguably things only truly got going when Ned made the proclamation about the Mountain and summoned Tywin Lannister to account for his crimes

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I though of that myself to,but look at walking dead season 2,it needed five episodes to become interesting :D
    I gave up on Walking Dead after ep 1 of season 2. In my view only the pilot was any good and it was down hill from there. So many of the characters were incredibly unlikable.

By the way, I tried watching Venture Brothers, it was...odd

It probably didn't help that I could only find Season 3 which clearly seems to have been made with an idea that you'd know who everyone was. But it seemed to jump around from episode to episode to focus on completely different character.

There were some good laughs but after 8 or so eps I found it...well...odd! Not sure if I'll push through and try and watch the rest

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Just NHL playoffs this time of year baby.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Adventure Time
    A friend turned me onto this, it's crazy isn't it?!

I really appreciate how it doesn't pander or dumb down. Kids must be getting their minds blown with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Ive been watching latest season of game of thrones and actually really enjoying it more then season 1 its a lot more smoother and the characters are presented at the important moments instead of having another conversation about the horribleness of winter. Wondering how there going to adapt a few things later. Also is it me or has the sex and nudity ramped up more as well.

Network Hub
    Ah you really shouldn't start with season 3 of Venture Bros. Season 2 would be all right but in 3 they decided to start building up a billion different subplots with the characters that originally appeared as throwaway gags.

And I love Adventure Time. Something very wholesome about it whilst at the same time the odd undercurrent of twisted madness seeps through.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    By the way, I tried watching Venture Brothers, it was...odd

It probably didn't help that I could only find Season 3 which clearly seems to have been made with an idea that you'd know who everyone was. But it seemed to jump around from episode to episode to focus on completely different character.

There were some good laughs but after 8 or so eps I found it...well...odd! Not sure if I'll push through and try and watch the rest

You should stick watching Season 2 of Walking Dead,few episodes at the end of season were all like WOOW NO WAY o.O

I loved Venture bros,but you need to start from first episode (Season one obviously xD)to get feeling for humor in series,but after few episodes youwill be laughing like crazy believe me :D

I recently watched STAR WARS:Clone Wars (from the creator of Serious Jack),and its pure action,i liked it.
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 15-04-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Yeah Venture bros works best starting from season 1, the beautiful bit of it is how some characters change pretty radically over time. Archer is definitely the better show though, just on a different level of writing quality.

Veep should be on shortly, worth looking at how Ianucci handles an american show.

Ok so I worked out the reason Girls isn't on the internets yet is because it hasn't premiered yet. Oops.

These shows..
    1 Dexter
    2 Fringe
    3 Revenge
    4 Gossip girl

Obscure Node
    I watch these show regular :-
    1 Naruto
    2 Bleach
    3 Family Guy
    4 Simpson
    5 homeland

how can i watch homeland online
    TV Show online.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Ok so I worked out the reason Girls isn't on the internets yet is because it hasn't premiered yet. Oops.
    I found the first episode kind of quirky and amusing, but the characters are so out of touch with anything close to reality that I found it pretty hard to enjoy without wanting to point at the screen and shout at them all. Maybe this has something to do with it being set in NY.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Awake, about a detective who lost a family member in a car accident. He used to have a wife and a boy. Who he lost is the puzzle, because he was trapped in two universes: one that he lost his wife and in another lost his son.

It took me sometime to recognize the detective is played by the actor who starred Captain Steel in the film Black Hawk Down. Hey, a man can looks so different with and without hair. haha~

Did anyone catch The Bridge (Bron/Broen) last night (BBC4)? I thought it was pretty interesting, not sure it deserved some of the hype it's been getting. However from what I've read it appears to be a bit of a slow burner.

I've never heard of Venture Bros. Just started with Archer which Is quality, so I may give it a go.

Also, series 2 of Grandma's House? very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I found the first episode kind of quirky and amusing, but the characters are so out of touch with anything close to reality that I found it pretty hard to enjoy without wanting to point at the screen and shout at them all. Maybe this has something to do with it being set in NY.
    I didn't laugh once, but I'm not averse to watching another episode or two. Mostly it's a zeitgeist thing: if 'everyone' is going to be talking about it I'd like to have a frame of reference. Or at least that's my excuse.

Amidst all the praise I found a hater review. Those are always fun:

When watching HBO's new, hotly hyped Girls, one thing is clear from the get-go: Hipsters are really going to like this show. Which is to say that it is as profoundly bland as it is unstoppably irritating.

The central character is an unsympathetic victim of First World Problems who mumbles her way through a Brooklynite's perdition of unpaid internships and missed orgasms. In its first three episodes, the comedy series establishes a new low for the premium cable network, even surpassing John From Cincinnati in its level of sheer unwatchability.
    P.S. Brienna's "I'm no lady" in Game of Throne S02E03 was almost as painful as whatsherface's line "I'm no man" in Return of the King. And that was pretty bad.
    Last edited by Rii; 22-04-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I've been watching The Voice UK. It's a damn good light entertainment show. Trying a bit to hard to force "characters" on each of the contestants in tried and tested sob story fashion and the hosts so far have a knack of just repeating the same phrases over and over (yes, yes it'll be a tough decision get on with it!) but hopefully these irritances will become less of a factor once the live shows start. There's some fantastic performers involved (unfortunately a few good ones have fallen by the wayside too soon) and the judging line up are quite likeable. Particularly Will.I.Am who has been upgraded from an idiot who makes mostly shit music to a rather amusing and likeable fellow who makes mostly shit music and overuses the word "dope."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So, what exactly is Girls? I've seen it mentioned here and there.

Anyhow, I've been in the loving throes of Mad Men and am 2/3 of the way through the third season. Good god, this show is mighty. Other than having a massive plot point spoiled for me (immediately after saying I didn't want to talk about it as to avoid spoilers, sigh) I'm just totally in love with it. Presentation and music are perfect, the characters are fantastic, script that is clever and highly witty and is generally so enjoyable to watch.