Page 20 of 146 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Not that I'm incredibly knowledgeable about Black Eyed Peas, but I'm under the impression from the people who are that Fergie basically came in and ruined them, or at least the style they had before. Still, I will always make fun of him because his stage name is Will.I.Am and that is unforgivable.
    Oh come on, it isn't worse than calling yourself, The Game, Snoop Doggy Dogg or Notorious BIG. They're all unforgivable.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    So, what exactly is Girls? I've seen it mentioned here and there.
    Yes, I've heard of these so-called 'girls' also. *snicker*

Ok, sorry.

It is being pitched (or perhaps received) as Sex and the City for a new generation. It is being awarded bonus points for starring a non-photogenic female (who is also the show's creator) and having them taken away again for featuring an all-white cast in a show set in New York City.
    Last edited by Rii; 24-04-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Whether or not you think it warrants handing in my Man Card (although I'm certain that should've been rescinded long ago) there's a certainly quality to SaTC that makes it so bad it's good. You know those times when you would be in the same room as the person who had control of the remote and you'd just sit there watching whatever was on? That was SaTC for me. I mean, Carrie is a self-indulgent bitch, Samantha has no real personality outside of "Ohhhh, a guy I haven't slept with yet!" and Miranda and Charlotte existed to have some semblance of rooting in reality. The men aren't that better.

But then there are hilarious moments, like dumping someone by a post-it note. Ha, this is the same guy who happily watched Desperate Housewives (although I gave up with the final season. The show had long become a parody of itself, something I was unwilling to recognise for a bit) and probably a variety of others aimed-at-the-female-persuasion. I'll give this show a go. I've spent worse 30 minutes, I'm sure.

While I'm on the topic, I've rattled through more Mad Men and just finished the season 3 finale. I'm not going to spoil it, but damn, if that episode wasn't one of the best episodes of anything I've watched. 45 minutes of television perfection, as far as I'm concerned. There, that's my masculinity restored.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

The closest I've come to 'chick TV' outside of Girls is probably Buffy, so I'm not much help in the way of direct comparisons. Mainly it caught my eye because writings about it cropped up on Salon and a few other sites I frequent. But sure, it can't hurt to check it out. The second episode was better than the first, incidentally.

I also think I must be the only person on the planet who hasn't seen Mad Men. Actually I don't watch much TV, heh.
    Last edited by Rii; 24-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.

I finally got around to watching The Walking Dead season 2 episode 1. It took about four hours to watch, because I'd watch ten minutes, get exasperated, pause the show and do something else, realize the player was still open and turn it back on. Repeat a half-dozen times.

I've been told it gets better later on in the season. Is this true?

Watching Game of Thrones (like everybody else) and Mad Men.

Not much to say about GoT that hasn't been said really; it's pulpy fun with some rather awesome performances. I tried watching season 1 again before s2 started but I couldn't get myself through it; so I guess the show doesn't really hold up to repeat viewings for me. Still enjoying season two immensely.

Now Mad Men is a different beast. It's an absolute thrill to watch this show for me because the craft and detail at display is unparalleled in the medium, and it's extremely entertaining to boot. I watched the previous four seasons in two weeks before season 5 kicked off. It's a very rich show that just keeps on giving and I also find it very rewarding to dissect the show with my friends. It provides a lot of entertaining conversation. Probably the best serialized drama I ever had the opportunity to watch.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

The latest Madmen was crazy.

@The Innocent , eh, yes at the last episode of season 2.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    I finally got around to watching The Walking Dead season 2 episode 1. It took about four top 10 hours to watch, because I'd watch ten minutes, get exasperated, pause the show and do something else, realize the player was still open and turn it back on. Repeat a half-dozen times.

I've been told it gets better later on in the season. Is this true?
    I hope it does... I was looking forward to watch that second season!

I usually hate CSI-style cop shows, but been kinda following Hawaii FIve 0. I'm a big fan of Bones and House. I watch The Big Bang Theory, but I think the show is losing its steam, this season Sheldon has been nowhere as funny as he used to be.

I started watching that show with the lawyer, the Firm, but I find that the show is going nowhere, seems like every bad guy becomes an ally and leads to an even bigger bad guy... the same scenario has been ongoing forever and feels like nothing has happened yet :S

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Girls - Hmm don't know what to think about this one, I quite enjoy it but its not totally funny and sometimes what the characters do and say are either annoying or I don't get because I'm not a girl. But there are soem things that I really do relate to since i'm going to be at their stage coming out of uni myself and it does scare me/interest me/think its funny. So yeah I think I will carry on watching it.

Veep - New Armando Iannucchi show, and basically it is The Thick Of It American style with all that entails. Its got the same potty mouth and the same things go wrong for the main character while they scramble to fix it. Its quite funny even not knowing that much about American and American politics to much but I understand a little to get a few jokes. I don't think it has the edge that the first two seasons of The Thick Of It did though, the main character is a lot more competent then the main character of that show and that takes a little bit of the really sad and vicious storylines and the punches in the gut you kind of got with The Thick Of it but its alright.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...irls-race.html

Just throwing this link out there re: Girls as its a pretty good teardown of the racial representation issue and helpfully includes a bunch of other links to writings about the show.

So yeah, at this point my reason for watching is because it generates interesting writings and it helps to know what they are on about.

... course by that logic I should probably be watching Mad Men. Bah.

I watched Veep last night, I thought it was pretty amusing. Will definitely be watching more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Walking Dead season 2 have few really good episodes,half of them are boring,half good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I watched Veep and enjoyed it, Ianucci's still great at swearing. None of the characters are quite there yet though, nothing a few more episodes can't fix.

Girls, hmm. I watched the first episode and kind of enjoyed it and kind of hated it. Are the characters supposed to be likeable? The only one I 'liked' was the very strange sort-of boyfriend of the main character. And I didn't like him because he was a cool guy, but because he was very odd but strangely familiar. The main character is painfully self-absorbed though.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Walking Dead season 2 have few really good episodes,half of them are boring,half good.
    They spent the whole of season 2 on that freaking farm and dealing with Shane.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    The closest I've come to 'chick TV' outside of Girls is probably Buffy, so I'm not much help in the way of direct comparisons. Mainly it caught my eye because writings about it cropped up on Salon and a few other sites I frequent. But sure, it can't hurt to check it out. The second episode was better than the first, incidentally.

I also think I must be the only person on the planet who hasn't seen Mad Men. Actually I don't watch much TV, heh.
    I don't know if I'd really consider Buffy 'chick TV', but it's hard to argue with the observation that far-and-away more girls watch it than boys. Also, I strongly recommend Mad Men. It's thoroughly engrossing, with incredibly well developed characters from the get-go, that are both likeable and likeable-as-loathable, with great dialogue and perfect presentation. Give the first episode a go at any rate. If Don Draper doesn't sell it to you, fair play.

As for Girls, well, acquiring the first two episodes, I've just watched the first episode and the first five-or-so minutes of the second. I gave up. I thought the characterisations were really lazy, the dialogue really strained. The thing is, both were really close to reality, but they just didn't quite get it right. Worst of all though, it seemed to have no life about it. No spark or energy. The comparisons to Sex and the City are obvious, hell they even point it out themselves early on, but SaTC had character about it. Everything about Girls just screamed dull.

[EDIT] Is it supposed to be a drama, drama with wit, or a comedy? I thought there were some attempts at being funny, but they kinda fell flat too.[/EDIT]

I also acquired Veep in the process. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Incidentally, whilst watching BBC3 earlier with my housemate during the nightly Family Guy/American Dad binge, there were adverts for Snog, Marry, Avoid?which I'm looking forward to having back, as well as the second series of Lip Service, a hilarious (for the wrong reasons) drama that would be better titled "Lesbians IN SCOTLAND". Urgh. So awful.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 26-04-2012 at 04:47 AM.