Page 30 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
    I am having a hard time finding anything worth watching at present. The most recently- attempted show was BBC's Hustle. The concept sounds good, but it falls so squarely in "light entertainment" that it makes me want to vomit. A show about conmen should not have a feelgood factor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Watching Warehouse 13.
    I've heard a lot of positive buzz about Warehouse 13. I watched A Town Called Eureka, before SyFy didn't know how or when to show it so I gave upish, with the full intention of coming back to it at some point. Anyhow, my point is; I've heard that the two share the same kind of feel about them. How accurate is this? I'd be quite interested in following it at some point.

Anyhow, still watching the current season of Futurama. It's nice to have it on because it's generally good, but since its return last year, I feel like they still haven't quite got the mix of tone that they used to have. Some of the heartwarming stuff seems a little forced, or at least unnatural, as opposed to coming easily. For example, compare the latest episode with a Simpsons classic, the first episode where Homer sees his mum. The ending is just down-right lovely. I know it's slightly different to the Futurama episode, but it's the same kind of emotional reach. Whatever, it's still fun, it's still entertaining and it's still good to watch.

There's also Breaking Bad. Words cannot describe just how good it keeps getting. So I'll just use sounds. Bahwahjahurrrrrrrrgaburrrrrrrrrrrwaaaahhhhhh! Particularly relevant for the latest episode. Man oh man. Crazy good. It's not just the content too, the general presentation is phenomenal, second for me only to Mad Men who gets the points for sheer attention to detail. They do both share some phenomenal music choices; the end of season 4 of Breaking Bad just sticks in my head for some reason. (Massive spoilers for s4 of BB there. Don't read any of the comments, at all.)

Looking forward to the new 'Fall' line-up in the US. Some interesting ideas coming through, so prepared to give them a shot. Not to mention the return of Castle and the DVD release of Community s2 over here.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 17-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Futurama and The Simpsons used to do heart-warming brilliantly, which is what made the shows what they were because they didn't compromise the laughs or feel like they were trying too hard.

The end of "And Maggie Makes Three", for example, hits the mark every time I see it. Or "The Luck of the Fryrish" in Futurama.

Anyway, I'm excited for the new series of Doctor Who. Though the dinosaur episode is almost certainly going to be terrible.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

And Maggie Makes Three is definitely one of the best episodes of anything on TV though and showed the characters at their best. I haven't seen any recent new episodes of The Simpsons, but I can't imagine Homer doing anything in those anywhere close to "Do it for her". As for Doctor Who, well, yes, probably, but I think it may be terrible in a fun way.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Breaking Bad is truly excellent its becoming a crime series with various capers like heists and train robberies that are just mond blowing in there audacity on both the characters and the film-makers parts. Also the characterisation is phenomenal at the moment even Skyler is getting good! Bloody great series!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I've heard a lot of positive buzz about Warehouse 13. I watched A Town Called Eureka, before SyFy didn't know how or when to show it so I gave upish, with the full intention of coming back to it at some point. Anyhow, my point is; I've heard that the two share the same kind of feel about them. How accurate is this? I'd be quite interested in following it at some point.
    I can't possibly comment on that as i had not seen eureka. it does feel very stargateish tough. not in plot but how characters are written. good fun stargaste not that emo thing we got later. Likeable characters, fun stories, a bit of drama. eureka is better from what i hear.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I kinda miss Breaking Bad's black comedy. Now it's just black.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Im watching X-Files,season 5,one of the BEST tv shows out there! :3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I'm watching Sinbad, Sky's Sunday evening family show. It's very uneven but I enjoy it. The cast is pretty great, the Maltese locations are stunning and when it's good, it's really good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Slowly working my way through season 2 of Falling Skies. It's a bit surprising. The first season was not too bad, but not all that good either, and the final episode was extremely uneven, from okay-ish to groan-worthy, but the second season is actually quite enjoyable. I don't know if it's just that it fits my mood right now, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I kinda miss Breaking Bad's black comedy. Now it's just black.
    They're not even doing the tension thing anymore, now they want to see how much the viewer is able to despise Walter.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Hmm i think its meant to be kind of like that basically this season is all about the rise and fall of Walter white basically...also i still think it has bits of humour left in it. I don't know why but i still kind of care for Walter still even though he is very horrible i still want that humanity still in him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    They're not even doing the tension thing anymore, now they want to see how much the viewer is able to despise Walter.
    It was bound to happen though, wasn't it? The conflicts the show has been leading up to since Season 2 (Hank discovering Walt's meth empire, Jesse finding out about Jane, Brock, and now Mike) are going to make for stunning television that wouldn't necessarily be possible with Walt still filling the role of protagonist.
    Last edited by sabrage; 29-08-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Lack of tension in Breaking Bad? What about the entire episode with the train? Those last fifteen minutes felt like an eternity! And that was on someone's first time direction. Jeez. Show's been great; it'll be interesting to see how the next episode ends. There's so much they could do before the year-split to maintain tension and intrigue beyond that of a normal episode finish. It'll be hard, regardless, to top the last episode of season 4.

Also, has the music use in it being improving? I say this considering it was already excellent and now seems to be veering towards perfection.