Page 38 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Thinking about checking out that 2-season series Carnivale from HBO. Any recommendations out there? Is it worth the time?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    THE WALKING DEAD@ I didn't noticed that i missed last three episodes of season 2 and first episode of season 3,so i watched them yesterday with sis and i liked them,its kinda slow show but quite good. Only thing i would prefer is more realistic action.

Obscure Node
    Face/Off of SyFy. Some of the stuff is just freaky awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    THE WALKING DEAD@ I didn't noticed that i missed last three episodes of season 2 and first episode of season 3,so i watched them yesterday with sis and i liked them,its kinda slow show but quite good. Only thing i would prefer is more realistic action.
    I'm no teeth expert but I'm pretty sure it's pretty hard to rip someones leg apart with your teeth. That aside I thought the first episode of S3 was pretty spot on except the last scene with Hershel.

-spoilers-
    OMG UR LEG IS FUCKED UP CUTTING IT OFF IS THE ONLY WAY OMG *CHOP CHOP CHOP*

In the comics, they had him lay on his bed for a good while and then decided to cut off his leg.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Obscure Node
    Hi friends i am mostly like to watch Late Night Talk Shows and these are the best shows to watch because i want to still known about the circumstances of the country and all the world so that i am watching this show and the show hosts are also very good and well educated with having a great experience of communication skills....

Last edited by Alexis; 27-11-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Obscure Node
    patiently waiting for the new Season of Deadliest Catch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    Thinking about checking out that 2-season series Carnivale from HBO. Any recommendations out there? Is it worth the time?
    God yes, it's an incredible show. First season can be a bit a slow the second is amazing. It also sort of comes to a conclusion, before the last five minutes pull the rug out from underneath you entirely and set the show off in a totally new direction that it never got to explore. But if you ignore that it sort of works as a singular story.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    I've only seen the first season of Deadwood, and it was quite good.

Any recommendations on good comedy shows? (exclude those with a laugh track, please)
    Deadwood is well worth continuing with - although as sabrage points out it did dip in quality toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Community
    Modern Family
    Archer
    The Ricky Gervais Show
    I'd second all these as well as JG's recommendation of Spaced.

I'm sure you've probably seen these but on the subject of older British comedy you can't go wrong with the likes of Blackadder, Thick of It, Bottom, Young Ones, Peep Show and Red Dwarf (middle series' don't have laugh tracks if I recall correctly, and they were amongst the best)

Archer normally goes top of my list of unheard of comedies although it does finally seem to be gaining traction, the other would be Psych (which with 6 seasons under its belt means there's plenty of enjoyment to be had). You could also check out the US equiv of Thick of It - Veep

PS anyone seen the new series of Red Dwarf? Was it any good/ less shit than the last 3 ep special? I'm hopefully gonna watch today

In terms of US TV sophomore comedies (i watch a lot of them since they're an easy going 20minutes while I eat dinner)
    2 Broke Girls is reasonable although relies waaay too heavily on tired stereotypes.
    Up All Night managed to be pretty amusing despite being chock full of deeply unlikeable characters
    New Girl got better as the season went on but suffers from too many unlikeable / weird characters (weird in a bad way, unlike community's weird in a good way)
    House of Lies was probably the strongest of comedies as far as I'm concerned although the attempts to inject drama were middling at best.
    Whitney - I watched about half an ep of S1 before I turned it off, so I'd avoid that.
    Wilfred (the Elijah Wood thing) which was ok but I could really get in to so never bothered going back after a few eps of the first series

If you like sketch shows (possibly not due to laugh tracks I guess) then check out stuff like
    The Fast Show
    That Mitchell and Webb Look
    The Peter Serafinowicz show

In the Quiz show space the best contenders are
    QI
    Have I Got News For You
    Would I Lie to You
    Nevermind the Buzzcocks
    8 out of 10 cats

Other shows worth checking out
    Californication - it can be hard work at times but the comedy is often worth it
    Danger 5 - this is seriously weird and I'm still not convinced I actually like it but it worth checking out
    Penguins of Madagascar - kid's fare but still amusing
    Robot Chicken - I'd pitch this somewhere between Community and South Park

And for some recommendations of other shows now ended
    Death Valley
    Reaper

The Loop
    Krod Mandoon
    Everybody Hates Chris
    My Name is Earl
    Malcolm in the Middle
    Wonderfalls

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Good luck with that. Now Darabont's no longer on board and they've put Kirkman in charge of the whole thing expect increasing levels of season 2 finale absurdity as the series progresses.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I'm no teeth expert but I'm pretty sure it's pretty hard to rip someones leg apart with your teeth. That aside I thought the first episode of S3 was pretty spot on except the last scene with Hershel.
    Indeed. If the zombies strength was that inhuman they'd have pulled down the fences no problem. Also how lame was the L4D2 guards bit? There didn't appear to be injured, so how on earth did they get infected?

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Deadwood is well worth continuing with - although as sabrage points out it did dip in quality toward the end.
    Deadwood was great, the problem is that HBO decided it was too expensive to make and so shit canned it before it had really run its course, that's why season 3 felt disjointed. Unfortunately really as there were some great performances in there.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The Fast show has its high and low points, some sketches are not funny while others are hilarious ( CHANNEL NIIIINE!)
    But I also recommend that one.
    QI is one of my favorite quizz shows, Stephen Fry and Alan Davis with their recurring guests are simply brilliant.
    Death Valley is a show I liked but got sidetracked and never continued watching, it's about a anti monster squad of hilarious characters.
    Wilfred is another show I enjoyed, it's weird but Wood is great in it and it has a lot of guest appearances.
    Malcolm in the Middle takes some time to get really great.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

The Fast show has its high and low points, some sketches are not funny while others are hilarious ( CHANNEL NIIIINE!)
    But I also recommend that one.
    Fast Show is bloody brilliant. Gotta love the Ted and Ralph-sketches.

Anyhow, Netflix finally arrived to Finland. The offerings aren't all that great and the Chief Product Officer's views on translations (as in, subtitles) being what they are (1.5hours of ready programme in one day, time which is usually achieved in a week!), I've been a bit reluctant to try it out, but since I got the rest of the year for free, thanks to Spotify, I decided to try it out and I've been watching Breaking Bad seasons 2 and 3. Great show.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I watched the first episode of American Horror Story S02. Meh. Did not like. The story is okay, kind of a horror take on the movie Doubt, but I remembered why I stopped watching the first season. The pace, the camera work, the rapid cuts--it tries way too hard to be frenetic, and tries to sub that in for actual scares. My girlfriend, who scares easily, wasn't. I don't think there's any benefit to cramming so much in and making everything so over the top; it leaves very little space for tension and mystery. I get the sense that they're terrified of boring people with a slow buildup. It's a shame because the promos were pretty good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Finished Frasier yesterday with 11th season.

So sad :( I love this show so much. had seen 1=10 series at least twice (some episodes more than that)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Fast Show is bloody brilliant. Gotta love the Ted and Ralph-sketches.

Anyhow, Netflix finally arrived to Finland. The offerings aren't all that great and the Chief Product Officer's views on translations (as in, subtitles) being what they are (1.5hours of ready programme in one day, time which is usually achieved in a week!), I've been a bit reluctant to try it out, but since I got the rest of the year for free, thanks to Spotify, I decided to try it out and I've been watching Breaking Bad seasons 2 and 3. Great show.
    Do you get Fishing With John? It's worth owning a Netflix subscription for Fishing With John alone. (So there's another comedy recommendation)
    Last edited by sabrage; 20-10-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I was impressed with how much more competent the Walking Dead group are, though they still have doh moments. They watch their weapons rebound off zombies wearing armour several times until a woman finally stabs into the gap between the armour. You can practically see the lightbulb ping in the other survivor's heads. Idiots. And the black guy's weapon is a spear, what the hell is that about?
    -spoilers-
    I'm trying to figure out how they come to the conclusion that a bit of choppy choppy prevents infection. Sort of. Maybe. Sometimes. It seems like a completely random thing to pull out of your ass. Did I miss an episode? As far as I know there has never been any indication that chopping a limb helps. Where did they get this information from? Is that how a virus works?

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Do you get Fishing With John? It's worth owning a Netflix subscription for Fishing With John alone. (So there's another comedy recommendation)
    Nope. There's relatively few series available, and there's basically nothing from Cartoon Network (which is why I kinda wanted to get Netflix). Then again, it launched... a week ago and I have free subscription until next year so it's worth seeing how the offerings develop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Alright, I can't have been the only one who watched The Thick Of It this evening. What an absolutely brilliant episode. What an amazing monologue to end it on too. Wow.