Page 4 of 126 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I have been on a Supernatural binge lately, seen almost two seasons the last two weeks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonaul View Post
    Though they are on a break, I really am looking forward to the return of Chuck which will be on its final season. Being an almost "geek" that I am, I really enjoy the story. Though it would be on its 5th and final season already, it would suffice as compared to ending the whole show abruptly last season.
    Wait, WHAT?! They're finishing Chuck?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo...oo oooooooooooooo!

I'm still waiting on the fourth series DVD set, but series 2 and the second half of 3 are just absolutely fantastic entertainment. Oh well, I suppose that means I won't have quite as much to catch up on. BOO!

Also, enjoying Doctor Who. So couldn't wait for it to come back over the summer break. I was a little non-plussed about Let's Kill Hitler, just because it seemed rather patchy, narratively speaking, although it was enjoyable. The previous two episodes have been pretty great, particularly last week's. The Doctor being a bit of a jerk, although more justified than not, was welcome. I really like how Matt Smith's Doctor is, in my opinion, just more fleshed out than Tennant's. I feel like this one is an actual character and not the Time Lord equivalent of Jesus. I'll also throw my hat in for saying how good Arthur Darvill is. The trio, plus Alex Kingston when she's on, work together incredibly well.

I'm really excited that one of my favourite shows, Castle, is coming back on Monday night/Tuesday morning. I mean, it's not ground-breaking, original or 'fresh', but it's just polished so well, the raw entertainment factor is so good. How they manage to use every cliché and trope in the book, but still play around with them enough to stop it from getting boring. Plus, Nathan Fillion (and Stana Katic, who is every bit as good).
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    I have been on a Supernatural binge lately, seen almost two seasons the last two weeks.
    I really enjoyed Supernatural. It had its iffy episodes here and there and season 3 lacked for overall narrative direction but for the most part very entertaining and for once in this type of show good at neatly tying up story arcs instead of leaving tedious teasers (yeah I'm looking at you Heroes!).

Some of the stand alone episodes were up there at Buffy quality for that amalgamation of a neat concept , snappy one liners and entertainment value. I'm kind of wary about watching the 6th season though, the end of series 5 felt like a natural end point to the show to me.

I'm about to embark on watching Alias. I watched most of the first and (I think) second series back when it was on channel 4 but then proceeded to lose track of it. I remember really enjoying it though so I'm quite looking forward to seeing it all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I have tried watching Supernatural but the first couple of episodes have left me a bit cold to be honest, anywhere I can start to get to some of the juicy bits? Also Alias is on my to do list after I complete The Wire, i still haven't finished Season 3, I don't know why but nothing really is making em go back to it even though I think its probably one of the smartest shows ever. I guess Season 3s storyline isn't impressing me as much as 1 & 2 has.

All seasons of the Wire are brilliant but if you need a push to get through Season 3 then all I need to do is tell you that season 4 is the brilliant-ist.

In my mind Supernatural is best watched in little bits here and there. In my mind the formulaic structure of the episodes started to grate a bit when watched in one big go. Wouldn't recommend watching random good bits though, despite the formulaic presentation the overarching plot is actually very well delivered and watching out of sequence would do it a disservice (it does take a little while to get going in season 1 to be fair). If you're going to watch a random excellent episode though then glancing at the episode list I'd plump for episode 6 of season 1 which has some excellent shape shifting shenanigans.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Yeah, season 1 of supernatural didn't really grab me, I've used probably 4 months or so getting through the first one and a half season before something clicked and I went on this recent binge :) Not that the first season was bad, but it was pretty formulaic as Lambchops said, and suffered under the monster of the week gimmick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah thats the thing, i can get past the monster of the week thing. I mean Fringe pretty much dropped that after the first season(though still kind of keeping it a little bit) and well I absolutely love Fringe. So I think I can take the punt of Supernatural as well.

Monster of the week is always there to some extent but season 2 (probably my favourite season) definitely manages to get past it. As do four and five. I took a massive break from it halfway through 3 because the overarching plot and the character interactions it leads to are just weren't that interesting (especially in contrast to the absolutely superb concluding episodes of season 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Wait, WHAT?! They're finishing Chuck?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo...oo oooooooooooooo!

I'm still waiting on the fourth series DVD set, but series 2 and the second half of 3 are just absolutely fantastic entertainment. Oh well, I suppose that means I won't have quite as much to catch up on. BOO!
    Then prepare to be in for a shock. Despite adding the awesome Timothy Dalton, season 4 is where the writing retreads past episodes and duplicates old jokes so often that you’d swear this was the same team who wrote BBC’s Merlin.

I've just started watching The Wire via Lovefilm.

A mere 9 years late. :D
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Then prepare to be in for a shock. Despite adding the awesome Timothy Dalton, season 4 is where the writing retreads past episodes and duplicates old jokes so often that you’d swear this was the same team who wrote BBC’s Merlin.
    Is there any chance I can ignore what you said and hope otherwise? I know, but...optimism, eh?