Page 58 of 127 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 2529
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Did not see that coming.
    I urge you to go back and re-watch that scene where Walt is spinning his pistol in his bathrobe, and marvel at how much Vince Gilligan loves Chekov's gun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    And my personal favourite wtf robot was the one that was covered in red and black flammable cloth.
    Haha, yeah that one was excellent.

@ Breaking Bad

Can't wait till the conclusion of the 5th season.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I urge you to go back and re-watch that scene where Walt is spinning his pistol in his bathrobe, and marvel at how much Vince Gilligan loves Chekov's gun.
    Oh yeah, that was brilliant. I loved the Chekov's rug thing too.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Breaking Bad definitly has the best smourgasboard of stuff it has drama tense moments really good creative characters and the best dark humour cant wait to see the end.

Just watched Orphan Black. I enjoyed it, although I think if you go in knowing as little about it as possible you'll get more enjoyment. Will certainly be watching some more to see where it goes although I fear it could quickly descend into nonsense.

Also watched the shiny new Nerdist TV show, which was pretty good, although the addition of an audience and shoe horning it into the standard US talk show format made it seem a little awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Yeah, I wondered what this scene was about when I first saw it.

After watching a variety of shows on Blu-ray I decided to go back to Babylon 5 (on DVD). After watching the first episode I can safely conclude that this series did not age well, no sir. The CGI shots look hilariously bad, I'll probably keep at it because it is (one of) the best sci-fi show(s).

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    After watching a variety of shows on Blu-ray I decided to go back to Babylon 5 (on DVD). After watching the first episode I can safely conclude that this series did not age well, no sir. The CGI shots look hilariously bad, I'll probably keep at it because it is (one of) the best sci-fi show(s).
    Obligatory:

---

I've been rewatching season 2 of Game of Thrones and idly stuck on the commentary for the Battle of Blackwater episode. I was shocked to discover (and would never have clocked) that Bronn is played by none other than Jerome Flynn out of Robson and Jerome, their acting career in Soldier, Soldier gave them status as "housewives favourites" and propelled them into an unlikely pop career as a covers band scoring a number 1 with a frankly diabolical cover of Unchained Melody. As well as Jerome playing a grizzled mercenary Robson is now best known for his "Extreme Fishing" series. Who would have predicted their future career paths in the 90s? Certainly not I!

Just watched the 1st episode of the new series of Dr Who.

It was alright. Wasn't the most interesting of plots, nice introduction to the new Clara, though so far the sense of mystery they are trying to build around her doesn't hide the face that she's probably the most generic assistant since Martha. Don't get me wrong, I like her, but it's all pretty much unspectacular Who fare so far. Which is still entertaining, but hopefully there'll be some stronger standalone episodes further down the line. How good a series of Who is depends, in my view, on the strength of standalone episodes (whether through interesting companion interaction or a particularly inventive baddie) rather than the series arc which I tend to usually find rather forgettable, particularly if it spans over more than one series.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 31-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I have to say making it into more of an arc made the episode a lot weaker because it felt like it didn't really end and you kind of wanted a few things more from the episode it could have been a great mystery of what was happening to people but then they said it and who it was, the why the people were getting the upgrades then set in wasn't really explained, it kind of felt lackluster that it was just oh he just wants their souls to chow down on.

But it was fun I liked the interactions between the doctor and companion and the spoonheads were very creepy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Eh, I thought it was a good, fun episode. Sure, it wasn't necessarily heavy, but I don't always want that. Lots of smirk and laughter-inducing lines though, particularly taking pot-shots at the fans. The bike sequence was so ridiculous that it could've only worked in Doctor Who.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Watching last season of House, The Walking Dead, Archer

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Game of Thrones season three starts in about two hours. Tick tock tick tock...
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Just watched the 1st episode of the new series of Dr Who.

It was alright. Wasn't the most interesting of plots, nice introduction to the new Clara, though so far the sense of mystery they are trying to build around her doesn't hide the face that she's probably the most generic assistant since Martha. Don't get me wrong, I like her, but it's all pretty much unspectacular Who fare so far. Which is still entertaining, but hopefully there'll be some stronger standalone episodes further down the line. How good a series of Who is depends, in my view, on the strength of standalone episodes (whether through interesting companion interaction or a particularly inventive baddie) rather than the series arc which I tend to usually find rather forgettable, particularly if it spans over more than one series.
    Three-four episode arc stories deliver the best spectacle I believe, the Amy/Rory dragged on for a little too long too while it started out great and although there weren't that many spectecular episodes they did have some great single story episodes.

I found the previous companion run to be a litte detached from the series because of the lack of re-occuring enemies.

Anyways, Has anyone seen the premire of Orphan Black yet? The first episode was quite promising.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 31-03-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Game of Thrones season three starts in about two hours. Tick tock tick tock...
    I'm counting the minutes...although sadly it will likely be a little bit of a let down as they need to start laying groundwork for the rest of the season and introduce a shed load of new characters

I've been rewatching season 2 of Game of Thrones and idly stuck on the commentary for the Battle of Blackwater episode. I was shocked to discover (and would never have clocked) that Bronn is played by none other than Jerome Flynn out of Robson and Jerome, their acting career in Soldier, Soldier gave them status as "housewives favourites" and propelled them into an unlikely pop career as a covers band scoring a number 1 with a frankly diabolical cover of Unchained Melody. As well as Jerome playing a grizzled mercenary Robson is now best known for his "Extreme Fishing" series. Who would have predicted their future career paths in the 90s? Certainly not I!
    Have you listened to all the other commentaries? Most of them were pretty amusing although not that interesting, indeed the most interesting insight was probably into who the actors are - Theon / Yara were amusing but I got the decided impression he'd be the sort of person who's personality would grate very quickly. Given his voice its also really hard not to hate George Martin, particularly when he spends much of the commentary whinging about helmets - I see where he's coming from I really do, but I also accept its TV.

I thought the best one in terms of being both amusing and informative was Liam Cunningham / Carice van Houten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Anyways, Has anyone seen the premire of Orphan Black yet? The first episode was quite promising.
    Yeah, I agree. Another thing I didn't mention earlier but after reading the AV Club review was that is did a good job of not seeming low budget, despite (supposedly) being made on the cheap

Much as I love Game of Thrones, medieval fantasy is a "one and done" genre for me. I can't imagine going back with commentary. Behind-the-scenes, on the other hand. That was the best part of LotR too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Learning Theon was played by Lily Allen's cousin was so odd. And also that Robb's love interest is Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Have you listened to all the other commentaries? Most of them were pretty amusing although not that interesting, indeed the most interesting insight was probably into who the actors are - Theon / Yara were amusing but I got the decided impression he'd be the sort of person who's personality would grate very quickly. Given his voice its also really hard not to hate George Martin, particularly when he spends much of the commentary whinging about helmets - I see where he's coming from I really do, but I also accept its TV.

I thought the best one in terms of being both amusing and informative was Liam Cunningham / Carice van Houten.
    The commentaries were a bit of a mixed bag with season 2 dvd set for sure. I think the better ones were where they'd included a writer or director as they were informative, and less 'OMG, they were the best!!!' as tends to happen with every actor one because they'll never badmouth anyone. Also yeah George did go off on one about the lack of helmets in the Blackwater. I completely understand what he's saying, but at the same time...it would look a bit shit (though I think Stannis could of worn one). Also goddamn it if CvH is not one of the most mesmerizing creatures ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Learning Theon was played by Lily Allen's cousin was so odd. And also that Robb's love interest is Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter.
    Heh, that's the worst. I can totally see his face in hers now (esp around the eyes/nose).
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

I just listened to the commentaries on that episode so far (as it had the most interesting people doing them). As a general rule I tend to get bored by any commentary with producers/directors/effects folk on their own (if there's a writer there as well then it can be OK) and the ones with actors depend on how engaging/off piste they are (the actress and actor playing Cersei and Tyrion had a nice rapport going and she's wonderfully sweary, which is a delight as commentaries are often way too po faced). Will probably dip in and out of some of the others.

@ Kad

Yeah, GRR Martin's obsession with helmet safety was rather amusing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I just listened to the commentaries on that episode so far (as it had the most interesting people doing them). As a general rule I tend to get bored by any commentary with producers/directors/effects folk on their own (if there's a writer there as well then it can be OK) and the ones with actors depend on how engaging/off piste they are (the actress and actor playing Cersei and Tyrion had a nice rapport going and she's wonderfully sweary, which is a delight as commentaries are often way too po faced). Will probably dip in and out of some of the others.
    I find the production stuff kind of interesting myself. I frequent a few GoT fan sites and it boggles my mind that a lot of people just don't get that TV has budgets and that it's not possible to feature every single character or scene in the books (it's up there with peoples unrealistic expectations for games in many ways), so it's quite good when they get into the meat of how things are made and why certain decisions occurred. Even GRRM calls out the crazies for not understanding what 'adaptation' means.

Also Lena Headey & Peter Dinkage are good friends apparently (even before GoT) and share a house whilst they are filming.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

The quality of any given Daria episode can be immediately gleaned based on how good its soundtrack is.