Page 64 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2999
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I enjoyed the episode overall but that was a pretty hilarious ending. I'm glad that's out the way too, that spoiler was hanging over my head.

Only one more to go.

Edit: Apparently in some versions broadcast the music cuts in 2 minutes before the episode actually finishes. I can only imagine.
    Last edited by Sketch; 16-04-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Even my girlfriend thought that was a jarring choice for music. At least the rains of castamere one actually fit with the tone of the episode. This not so much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I enjoyed the episode overall but that was a pretty hilarious ending. I'm glad that's out the way too, that spoiler was hanging over my head.

Only one more to go.

Edit: Apparently in some versions broadcast the music cuts in 2 minutes before the episode actually finishes. I can only imagine.
    The torrent I got (yes I'm a bad man) had that happen in it. Apparently it's whoever is ripping them doing it, either on purpose or through their method because the same thing apparently happened in the last episode of the walking dead.

Anyway, the credit music didn't bother me. It was annoying that it ruined the scene when it played during it because then it made absolutely no sense, but once the credits start rolling I couldn't care if they played Santa Baby because I've already turned it off.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The torrent I got (yes I'm a bad man)
    To paraphrase The Oatmeal, HBO had it coming. They've had some good programming lately with Vice and the Louis CK special, but most people really don't need cable anymore. I wouldn't have it at all if the bill wasn't shared amongst my roommates. If they just offered their shows as a Netflix-style subscription or on iTunes, I'd be all over that shit. Hell, I'd even install iTunes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Here's the original scene (major spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen Game of Thrones season 3 episode 3).

Think I just got auditory whiplash. Not so pissed anymore, but still laughing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Here's the original scene (major spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen Game of Thrones season 3 episode 3).

Think I just got auditory whiplash. Not so pissed anymore, but still laughing.
    I liked it, it's an indie band covering one of the GoT songs, similar to how The National covered Rains of Castamere last season:

It's just a fun reference, I don't really get the hate for it (not referring to you individually, I've seen quite a few reactions similar to yours elsewhere).

Plus you know, the Hold Steady are kind of awesome.
    Last edited by Jockie; 16-04-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I watched the first 8 episodes of Arrow over the last two days.
    It's a soap opera with a healthy dose of ass-kicking. It keeps getting better. Will keep watching.

British TV has just spiralled into a pit of unremitting awfulness.

I can barely remember a time when I could turn on any given channel and Olivia Colman wouldn't be in about 75% of all shows, the BBC are pandering to the right more and more often, Doctor Who can broadcast an episode where people breathe normally in the vacuum of space and nobody says a fucking word, and someone, somewhere, thought giving Lee Mack a platform for his shit-eating grin was a good idea. I couldn't even watch the last series of Room 101 due to Frank Skinner shoe-horning in the words "I AM A MASSIVE CATHOLIC" into every episode.
    Last edited by Rath; 17-04-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Well the Tardis gives him powers of space breathing and also its a show where the smaller details are not that important to the bigger stories...also I have no idea how that equals leaning to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Well the Tardis gives him powers of space breathing and also its a show where the smaller details are not that important to the bigger stories...also I have no idea how that equals leaning to the right.
    I find I can tolerate the daftness of Dr Who when there's other decent sci-fi around at the same time, that can give us a slightly more plausible bent or ground the fiction in something resembling science. But when it's pretty much the only sci-fi show on which we can pin our hopes I get sick of it explaining things away in babyspeak - 'wibbly wobbly timey wimey' and what have you.

I watched Defiance yesterday, the one that's tied into an MMO and it was not great. A lot of familiar tropes - Sci-fi as a Western, Han solo rogueish type as a lead, Romeo & Juliet clash of families with the youngest in love and the battles are just cgi-ed sillieness. Despite all of that, perhaps due to the dearth of decent sci-fi around I hold out a little hope it might get better. Only a little mind.
    Last edited by Jockie; 17-04-2013 at 09:33 AM.

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I watched Defiance yesterday, the one that's tied into an MMO and it was not great. A lot of familiar tropes - Sci-fi as a Western, Han solo rogueish type as a lead, Romeo & Juliet clash of families with the youngest in love and the battles are just cgi-ed sillieness. Despite all of that, perhaps due to the dearth of decent sci-fi around I hold out a little hope it might get better. Only a little mind.
    It reminded me of Terra Nova for some reason, maybe because the guy ends up as a lawman. This opening show somewhat made up for the crap writing with a big disjointed battle(so the Defiance defensive line is holding up the alien robot things from a cliffside, and basically preparing a super weapon to fire in the middle of them. When things start to look bleak, the man's partner with the Na'vi nose shows up with a gang they were hostile with, looks up at the two hundred feet tall cliffs to instantly find her partner, and offers him a smile as if he'd be able to see it. She then charges directly into the alien robot things. She gets in trouble, and Defiance members start appearing to assist them, maybe they parachuted down? The super weapon is now ready to fire and the Defiance crew are waist-deep in angry alien robot things. By some unexplained miracle they manage to disentangle themselves and get to safety while the super weapon kills every single bad guy.) But surely they've blown through all the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    It reminded me of Terra Nova for some reason, maybe because the guy ends up as a lawman. This opening show somewhat made up for the crap writing with a big disjointed battle(so the Defiance defensive line is holding up the alien robot things from a cliffside, and basically preparing a super weapon to fire in the middle of them. When things start to look bleak, the man's partner with the Na'vi nose shows up with a gang they were hostile with, looks up at the two hundred feet tall cliffs to instantly find her partner, and offers him a smile as if he'd be able to see it. She then charges directly into the alien robot things. She gets in trouble, and Defiance members start appearing to assist them, maybe they parachuted down? The super weapon is now ready to fire and the Defiance crew are waist-deep in angry alien robot things. By some unexplained miracle they manage to disentangle themselves and get to safety while the super weapon kills every single bad guy.) But surely they've blown through all the money.
    The best example of the bad writing was the bath scene with the two albino-face aliens, with Tony Curran seeming to be incredibly slow on the uptake for a devious alien as his Lady Macbeth knock-off wife spells things out in explicit detail: 'HE WORKS IN A MINE HE COULD HAVE AN 'ACCIDENT'!' she wailed, as he flexed his eyebrows in slowly dawning comprehension

I normally like Tony Curran as an actor too. The acting prize has to go to Julie Benz though, who manages to win an award for least convincing looking firing of a sub-machine gun ever.

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Julie Benz needs to be blacklisted. She ruins everything that she touches. She was somehow, against all odds, the worst part of Boondock Saints 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The best example of the bad writing was the bath scene with the two albino-face aliens, with Tony Curran seeming to be incredibly slow on the uptake for a devious alien as his Lady Macbeth knock-off wife spells things out in explicit detail: 'HE WORKS IN A MINE HE COULD HAVE AN 'ACCIDENT'!' she wailed, as he flexed his eyebrows in slowly dawning comprehension

I normally like Tony Curran as an actor too. The acting prize has to go to Julie Benz though, who manages to win an award for least convincing looking firing of a sub-machine gun ever.
    Acting skills are all over the place which is a shame, I can excuse shaky acting if it had some clever writing but most dialogues are way too cheesy with dumb one liners, like the postcard line.

Also Syfy, if you want to be in the actual science fiction business, be sure to be able to afford decent CGI and not this cheap looking effect you continue on using. You could have saved some money by not making that MMO. I'd rather have no special effects than this cheap looking computer animations.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Is that show worth a viewing even for a night of face palming?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    God yes, the Julie Benz part in boondock saints 2 was awful, not sure anyone could have pulled it off though, that was a really shitty movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Is that show worth a viewing even for a night of face palming?
    It's not terrible terrible, just a bit by the numbers, with some dodgy acting and some silly scripting. Oddly, the AV Club seemed to really like it and gave it a B+ (which is why I watched it in the first place)

And on Twitter

AV Club is my first stop for new programme reviews which is why I have Defiance lined up to watch. I'm a bit dismayed by the feedback here but in the absence of any decent sci-fi I'll give it a go.

It's not worse than Revolution or Continuum, is it?
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Youtube's Defiance channel describes the guy as 'Cunning, intelligent, and ambitious.' What a load of old socks. She tries to explain subtley but he's like 'What?' The exchange was heading towards this.

Lady Tarr: 'I'll explain slowly. If we...'

Idiot: 'Ok.'

Lady Tarr: 'Let our son marry the girl...'

Idiot: 'With you so far.'

Lady Tarr: 'We could use her to...'

Idiot: 'Keep going.'

Lady Tarr: 'Control the mines...'

Idiot: 'Yes?'

Lady Tarr: 'Once you've had her father brutally murdered.'

Idiot: 'What? Who am I? Where are my pants?'

British TV Guide

8.00 - Generic Breakfast Show
    Philip Schofield fails to do the world a favour by picking up Samantha Brick and bodily throwing her through that massive window behind them.
    With guest chef Olivia Colman.

9.00 - News
    Arseholes are still being arseholes, nobody has any money left except the bank executives who are building papier-mâché sandcastles out of it, the church are still bleating on as if they think they are still relevant, pretty much everything within your field of vision is now carcinogenic, and Jeremy Fucking Hunt is still somehow the fucking Health Secretary.
    Followed by more regional specific reasons to be wearing sack-cloth and ashes.

9.50 - Weather
    Grey.

10.00 - Pugs That Look Like Adrian Chiles (1 of 6)

Does what it says on the tin.
    Presented by Olivia Colman.

11.00 - Antiques Bootsale
    Keith from Bolton tries to flog a ZX Spectrum to David Dickinson for at least forty quid. He hasn't even tried to clean the thirty years of filth off the rubber keyboard (remember that?), so Dickinson says "Stroll on you dirty bastard, I'm not having that."

12.00 - Look At These Hideous Fucks With Derision And Hate
    Jeremy Kyle shoves a camera crew down the throat and up the arse of some cunt in a tracksuit after learning how he robbed his own family blind while fraudulently claiming benefits and sleeping with his pregnant 13 year old girlfriends' grandmother, or whatever the fuck story of pikey adventures it is today.

13.00 - Gardening Show
    For the remaining three per cent of society who can still afford the luxury of anything containing chlorophyll at this point.
    Celebrity garden spotlight today focuses on Olivia Colman.

13.30 - Why Are They On The TV
    Panel discussion show where four menopausal harpies tear into the flesh of wounded animals with their hands and teeth, discussing how awful it is when someone steals your husband inbetween mouthfuls of raw flesh.

14.00 - Dress As This Clod Fucking Tells You
    An orange woman with eyebrows painted up to her hair-line harangues members of the public who have the audacity to be walking down the street with anything larger than a size zero body. Watch the self absorbed bitch positively foam at the mouth when she catches sight of another woman wearing the exact same pair of those boots that seem to be made out of an entire sheep.
    (This episode was originally scheduled for the preceeding month, but filming was held up while the host recovered from a burst blood vessel/discoloured iris after one of her victims used the words "individual dress sense", right to her fucking face.)

15.00 - Why Aren't You Reading Actual Books With Your Kids?
    Brightly coloured asexual puppets condescend to children who are almost certainly more intelligent than TV show creators give them credit for.

16.00 - "Sitcom"
    Inexplicably starring Lee Mack.

16.30 - Charlie Brooker Tells You How To Think
    Because if you want more Black Mirror, you have to put up with this as well.

17.00 - News
    It's all somehow gotten worse since this morning.

17.50 - Weather
    Grey. Also now howling a fucking gale.

18.00 - Glorified Karaoke (Version 1)
    A selection of narcisstic personality disorders with an undeserved sense of entitlement attempt to inflict themselves on you without falling down on their, for some reason, bright orange arses.
    With guest judge Olivia Colman.

19.00 - Glorified Karaoke (Version 2)
    As version 1, but with backdrops rotated and some ice chucked over the floor.

20.00 - Glorified Karaoke (Version 3)
    A 'back to basics' show produced on the cheap by poking cameras through the windows of Olivia Colmans' local pub on karaoke night.

21.00 - Period Drama

Some vaguery about romance against a backdrop of stately homes. Not authored by any of the big names, this one got fished out of an "Unsold Author Insertion Fantasies" skip behind a Waterstones.
    Starring Olivia Colman.

22.00 - Why The Hell Would You Move To This Village
    Murder mystery series starring an English countryside detective.
    When an uncouth young hipster moves in to the village and argues for the worth of the metric system against imperial measurements, it's not long before he dies a gruesome death.
    Featuring Olivia Colman as the church organist having an affair with the vicar, which is not a spoiler because it's blatantly telegraphed about seven different ways in the cold open.

23.00 - One Of Those Shows You Hear People At Work Banging On About
    Three bright orange steroid monkeys in shirts that are in no way suited to the purpose are joined by three women who have for some reason deliberately made themselves look like inflatable sex dolls, and attempt to spread as many sexually transmissable diseases as possible while occasionally starting fights about whose bolted-on looking breast implants are stuffed with the highest grade of cocaine. One of the blokes is wearing a wife-beater that's scoop-necked down to his navel, I fucking swear.
    Subtitled.

00.00 - Sport - Football Highlights
    Around two dozen men in their twenties who've never had a proper job in their fucking lives get paid hundreds of millions of pounds to run around a field with a ball for ninety minutes for the entertainment of a nation of people who clap like seals.
    Highlights edited to remove the sound of Adrian Chiles.

01.00 - Teleshopping
    Shit you wouldn't buy if it was a guaranteed cure for arse-itch and you'd broken your favourite scratching fork.
    Last edited by Rath; 17-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.