Page 71 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 3021
    Holy shit, this Kitchen Nightmares episode is unbelievable. The owners are absolutely off their boxes. Gordon Ramsay walked off the show for the first time ever.

Last edited by Rath; 15-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.

I was mainlining Veronica Mars for a while after the VM kickstarter wrapped up, but I've wound that up a couple of episodes into the third season ... which is exactly where I stopped last time I tried to watch VM. Maybe I'm just destined to never finish it.

I'm now starting to mainline the second half of Person of Interest's second season, and wishing there were fifty episodes to watch, not just ten. That show is so nicely made it's easy to forgive the occasional plot hole.

Meanwhile I'm also watching Hannibal with Mrs Jams which is turning out to be surprisingly good, and I really appreciate its glacial pace and relatively subdued atmosphere. Contrast it with the other big serial killer show, Dexter, and it's clearly head and shoulders above it.

I tried the first episode of Orphan Black and found the characters to be universally annoying, but it's been getting decent press so I might go back to it after I'm done with PoI. Also in the video hopper is Arrow which I know practically nothing about but I'm feeling somewhat starved for SF/F TV and I'm getting desperate.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 15-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Seinfeld is so uncomfortable to watch. I have to pause a couple of times every episode. It's one of the best shows ever made.
    If you find Seinfeld uncomfortable I dread to think what you'd make of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Just watched the season finale of New Girl and thought it was excellent. The show has definitely been improving hugely since about mid way through season 1 where it started transitioning from an amusing way to spend 30mins into a show I actively look forward to watching.
    Agreed generally, but I thought the episode was merely very good, not excellent. The cameo was pretty amusing and a humorous self-deprecation, but the build-up to it felt really forced. The rest of the comedy beats were good and it really feels like they've started to nail down Winston's character. He definitely had some great lines, especially my favourite where he simply looked down and, whilst smirking, "Boobies." So stupid and simple, but it worked so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I'm now starting to mainline the second half of Person of Interest's second season, and wishing there were fifty episodes to watch, not just ten. That show is so nicely made it's easy to forgive the occasional plot hole.
    I've heard people mention this before and only ever with positive things. Is it 10 episodes per season? I could get into that.

I tried the first episode of Orphan Black and found the characters to be universally annoying
    I watched the first episode myself a couple of days ago and felt similarly, with some more than others. It's a shame that in the damn marketing they reveal what will make it quite interesting, even if they also do hint at it in the very first scene. The last two minutes were completely ridiculous in a way that has me intrigued. I'm not sure if the show will last, but there's so many ways they can play with who the main character will be that they could really do some cool stuff with it. At the moment though, I feel the possibilities somewhat beat out the actual content, but American (I know it's Canadian, but prove me wrong, Canadians, prove me wrong!) pilots seem to be really rocky and I'm more than happy to watch on. I've been reading a few more reviews from The AV Club recently and they seem to like this.

As for other shows, Doctor Who last week was not as good as I was hoping. I expected more from the writing chops of Neil Gaiman especially after how utterly wonderful The Doctor's Wife was, but it's hard to say how much was other writer and general director/producer interaction. The episode was by no means bad, but it felt rather sketchy at times, mostly in the pacing. The children were horrible though. Looking forward to the final, especially considering it'll lead nicely into the Eurovision Song Contest of Super Fun Happy Times.

Carrying on with 30 Rock. Hmmm. Season 4 and early 5 certainly seem like a slight dip in quality, on reflection. That's still miles ahead of many other shows, but it is noticeable on looking back. I got to the live episode and it was the first one I genuinely had trouble enjoying. It removed the quick/slick pacing and plot depth in exchange for swooning and cheering over guest appearances (that I didn't think were necessarily that funny) or after every joke and it just killed it. For me, 30 Rock is about the shift in expectation and the revelling in the ludicrous that still seems realistic. So the way they got around Liz Lemon needing to be in another place shortly after she'd be somewhere else was hilarious and the brief allusions to it being live and what that would mean for a show that otherwise isn't were done well, but the whole thing was just off kilter. A really brave experiment, but it played at odds with its own format and I don't think it won.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I've heard people mention this before and only ever with positive things. Is it 10 episodes per season? I could get into that.
    Twenty two. Just ten in the bit I have remaining to watch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Seinfeld is so uncomfortable to watch. I have to pause a couple of times every episode. It's one of the best shows ever made.
    Why uncomfortable?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I tried the first episode of Orphan Black and found the characters to be universally annoying, but it's been getting decent press so I might go back to it after I'm done with PoI.
    I enjoy the show but I think if you found the characters annoying - particularly Sarah and Felix - then I doubt your opinion is going to markedly change. If however you were put off by FarCry 3 bloke I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying he takes a less prominent role

Agreed generally, but I thought the episode was merely very good, not excellent. The cameo was pretty amusing and a humorous self-deprecation, but the build-up to it felt really forced. The rest of the comedy beats were good and it really feels like they've started to nail down Winston's character. He definitely had some great lines, especially my favourite where he simply looked down and, whilst smirking, "Boobies." So stupid and simple, but it worked so well.
    I'll be honest and say I had to look up who the hell the cameo person was. When you say the build up to it - did you mean in the ep itself, or in the previous eps?

Carrying on with 30 Rock. Hmmm. Season 4 and early 5 certainly seem like a slight dip in quality, on reflection. That's still miles ahead of many other shows, but it is noticeable on looking back. I got to the live episode and it was the first one I genuinely had trouble enjoying. It removed the quick/slick pacing and plot depth in exchange for swooning and cheering over guest appearances (that I didn't think were necessarily that funny) or after every joke and it just killed it. For me, 30 Rock is about the shift in expectation and the revelling in the ludicrous that still seems realistic. So the way they got around Liz Lemon needing to be in another place shortly after she'd be somewhere else was hilarious and the brief allusions to it being live and what that would mean for a show that otherwise isn't were done well, but the whole thing was just off kilter. A really brave experiment, but it played at odds with its own format and I don't think it won.
    Its a while since I watched the live ep but I recall it coming across as somewhat strange.

I never really felt the dip in quality in S4/5 like others, but all seem to agree that the last couple of seasons were really good, so no worries

With regards to build-up, I meant in the episode, as in right when he says "Well, actually..." and then she just appears and speaks up.

As for 30 Rock, maybe because I'm marathoning it and it's all at once and I can easily see it, but it does feel a little bit reserved in comparison to the previous seasons. Again, it's nowhere near bad, and it's still much better than many other comedies, but it seems to be missing some cut, somewhere. By all means I'm still on for carrying it on.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Alright, did anyone catch the S5 final of Castle then? I thought it was a little bit flat and, for a show that at the very least twists clichés and expectations, did a fantastic job of running head-first into a painfully obvious one right at the end. Not a bad episode, but one certainly lacking form. Not to mention the fact the choice seems obvious; they're not going to write out half the cast of the show...