Page 8 of 128 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Its weird that, usually my firends don't watch documentry series, but it seems every one of them is watching Frozen Planet.

Finished season 2 of The Wire. It got better as it went along and by the last four or five episodes I was liking probably as much as the season 1 stuff.

I might have a little break before season 3 (I watch 'em through Lovefilm so I might clear a couple of other things off my list first) but I'm already kind of itching to get started on it. :-P
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Farscape gets released on blu-ray on November 14th, according to Amazon. Its' region free apparently, though it doesn't include The Peacekeeper Wars due to some sort of rights issue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Oh come on. I just checked that. I swear when I looked before that it was all there. Dammit...
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Oddly enough the DVD version of the boxset does include it though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Just finished watching Season 4 of The Wire, fecking powerful stuff. Probably up there in the best season of The Wire. The story of the boys going through school and how it can help or hinder them is really good I have to say. I love this show because it has so many interesting characters in it, and the boys successfully made good interesting characters as well. It got really powerful near the end, I think episode 11 is probably the most sucker punches in an episode ever and left me like good films do, just speechless for a few minutes. Can't wait till season 5, though that's the end of it :(

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Just finished watching Season 4 of The Wire, fecking powerful stuff. Probably up there in the best season of The Wire. The story of the boys going through school and how it can help or hinder them is really good I have to say. I love this show because it has so many interesting characters in it, and the boys successfully made good interesting characters as well. It got really powerful near the end, I think episode 11 is probably the most sucker punches in an episode ever and left me like good films do, just speechless for a few minutes. Can't wait till season 5, though that's the end of it :(
    I know that feel man. I'm halfway through Season 3 (watching it for the fourth time or something), and watching The Wire for the first time was pretty incredible.

"Motherfucker is you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy?"
    Last edited by Joseph-Sulphur; 07-11-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Really enjoyed yesterday's episode of Misfits. (Spoilers ahoy) I thought it was interesting to try and go at some female issues from the point of view of a male character. I suspect you'd need to be female to know how good a job they did of it but that they did it at all it is a good thing, I think.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

If anyone used to watch Sons of Anarchy back when it was Macbeth cleverly disguised as a motorcycle drama (before it crashed off the rails spectacularly in season 3 with one of the worst seasons of tv I have ever made myself watch in the vain hope it might come good again), I'm pleased to say that last nights episode was fantastic.

It's finally broken out of the 'guilty pleasure' category and become the explosive, tightly scripted character drama it always threatened to be. If you gave up on it before or during the 'Oirish' season, it's well worth skipping that one and diving straight on to the current series instead.

Edit: @ Ian, I enjoyed the episode too, and I think the scatalogical writing in the series is spot on. Rudy may just be a proxy for their dick jokes, picking up where nathan left off, but it's still pretty hilarious (consequently, the cleaned up inevitable US remake will be fucking awful).

I wonder how they're going to use Curtis now though, is there much more mileage to be had from his power?
    Last edited by Jockie; 09-11-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Oddly enough the DVD version of the boxset does include it though.
    I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

How wrong would it be to get the blu-ray of series 1-4 of Farscape, and then the DVD of The Peacekeeper Wars? I'm thinking not very...

I've been trying to watch Frozen Planet in HD on iPlayer, but my internet at uni is so rubbish, I've given up. I started watching it in SD but only got half-way through, so I'll pick that up again probably on Friday and watch the third episode at some point. What I will say though is that some of the imagery is simply amazing. In games, film or book you have this painted impression of foreign, alien environments, but we really do only need look at specific places on Earth to get environments that still seem so alien, shrouded in this weird mysticism that's just brilliant to look at. I can't get enough of it.

Edit: Finally got round to finishing the second episode of it. Utterly amazing. I'm incredibly tempted to pick up the blu-ray of it when it's available.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 10-11-2011 at 03:19 AM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Despite the previous post, I was able to watch the third Frozen Planet in HD and really magnificent. I was particularly impressed by the clips at the end of them recording the polar bear family. Damn.

Also, an admission of guilt. There's a show I've been catching called New Girl. It's so sickeningly enjoyable, I hate that I like it. Stars Zooey Deschanel, as herself, living with a group of men after she was dumped by her boyfriend. Hilarity ensues. It's clearly aimed at the 'Female Demographic', but it's entertaining. When you look past the obvious girliness of it, there's some genuinely funny jokes. The latest episode, for example, includes the purchase of an overly large turkey which, after not fitting in the oven, is cooked using a tumble dryer. The show doesn't really settle into its rhythm until the third episode (six have aired so far) but at 22ish minutes long a pop, you can quickly make up your mind. I feel the same about it as I do Desperate Housewives in that it's clearly aimed at the 'Female Demographic' but some of the content is just well written or ridiculous enough to be entertaining whatever. Anyhow, I have made my piece. I hope you can all accept me for who I am.

In other news, I have my hands on the first season DVDs of Breaking Bad and Community, with the first season of Mad Men in the post. I went a bit crazy with the buying there, with Community being the only one I was completely interested in, but the other two weren't that expensive and if I don't like, I'm sure I can give them to someone who'll appreciate better. Of course, I just found out in its third season that Community has been put on hiatus, so...yeah, not a good sign there.