Page 85 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2950
    Mad Men season three. This show is oddly compelling. Nothing ever happens. Yes, people live and people die but it never feels consequential. You could miss half the episodes and it would change nothing. I think Breaking Bad has spoiled me in this regard. In Mad Men people have dinner together and small talk for five minutes, then they get up and go home. I always expect something terrible to happen by the end but it never works out that way. It feels like a soap opera at times.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think to say 'Nothing ever happens' in Mad Men is a little unfair. If you're talking about plot, then yes, it is absolutely glacial. Though, considering the span of each season is roughly a year, I feel like certain developments are spaced out rather reasonably. Mad Men is absolutely about the characters. It's a microcosm of the era, of even a particular part within it, seeing how all these pointless lives play out. To skip odd episodes would be to miss little character moments where you find out that this one comment exposes someone as a racist, but that no-one is really phased because hey, we went to war with those Japs so who gives a?

I do think Breaking Bad is better in regards to mixing plot and character movement and happenings, altogether being a better show too, but Mad Men is great at capturing the mood. The cinematography and music is pretty much perfect in Mad Men.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Plus, go back and watch Season 1 once you're up to date. You'll sit back and think...so much has changed, these people are so different.
    steam: sketch

Oh, I'm not saying it's bad. It really isn't. It's a very good show. I only remembered the parking lot scene from, I think season three of Breaking Bad or the recent train scene from season five. I mean, I almost died there. Scenes that make you jump up and punch the air once they're over just to relieve some of the tension. You don't have that at all in Mad Men. It's a very different kind of show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Oh yeah, definitely.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    I actually just watched the first episode of Breaking Bad this evening. It was entertaining, but nowhere near justifying the rabid enthusiasm people seem to have for it, so I can only assume it improves.
    You honestly cannot expect anyone to take you seriously when you say something like that. There's fifty-nine episodes of that show. You have watched 1/59th of the show. Of course it improves on the first episode, else it wouldn't have made it to five seasons and been so talked about. Interesting fact, after taking a one year break, sheer word of mouth, netflix and the internet managed to get so many people interested in the show that when episode 9 aired in the US, 5.9 million people watched it on tv alone. That's close to three times the average viewer numbers and doesn't include netflix people, pirates etc.

Caught up with SoA today including the newest episode. Season five was a bit weak after a strong start. It really seemed like a lot of filler and a lot of set up. Pope was a criminally under used character.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Scenes that make you jump up and punch the air once they're over just to relieve some of the tension. You don't have that at all in Mad Men. It's a very different kind of show.
    Last episode of season 3 of Mad Men. I want your opinion on it, with regards to the quoted comment, when you've watched it. It's my favourite episode of the show.

We'll see about that. Currently at S03E06. Also, I have that stupid Bye Bye Sugar song stuck in my head.

You only need to watch the main part, not the bloopers. January Jones and Jon Hamm have the best parts tied with John Slattery.

Mad Men has a bit of a penchant for giving you songs that'll stick in your head too...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Fucking hell Breaking Bad. Drama, drama, drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Mad Men season three. This show is oddly compelling. Nothing ever happens. Yes, people live and people die but it never feels consequential. You could miss half the episodes and it would change nothing. I think Breaking Bad has spoiled me in this regard. In Mad Men people have dinner together and small talk for five minutes, then they get up and go home. I always expect something terrible to happen by the end but it never works out that way. It feels like a soap opera at times.
    I felt that way about Breaking Bad vs Game of Thrones up until BB season 4's mid point.

Breaking Bad's new episode is full of stuff happening, but I'm not happy with how they resolved the gun fight. Why the hell would Gomie die out of cover? But that's just me nitpicking, the episode was pretty good.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

It seemed to me that there were a few extra seconds we didn't actually see. And that he clearly took shots in the front which knocked him backwards, presumably out of cover. So this episode was super unsettling for just a large variety of reasons, but the thing that bothered me the absolute most was the immersion killer of censoring a quite obvious 'fuck'. America, you can have gratuitous violence in a show for adults, but god rest your soul if you hear the word 'fuck'.