Page 92 of 156 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 3118
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Breaking Bad caps this off - my only real complaint with it is that it goes from making a criminal out of a normal man into making that man a monster - it's a lazy conceit that all criminals MUST be monsters or that crime will make you one.
    I admittedly haven't seen Breaking Bad, but before the finale aired I've read a lot of comments from people who seemed to genuinely root for Walt. Maybe making him appear monstrous was an intentional move by the writers to combat this sentiment and ensure that no one could possibly feel sympathetic towards him in the end? I know Death Note did something similar in the last episode, showing its villainous protagonist to be as pathetic as possible so his death wouldn't be considered noble or heroic in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Simpsons,25 season,episode 1. Not funny at all,should stop butchering this show because since 19th season its not funny anymore. And they are going to make second movie..ouch.
    On the bright side, liking the show until season 19 means you held out a lot longer than most people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    YO~ Doomsday Preppers by National Geographic was recently renewed for its 3rd season. Currently it's in a recess after last episode in early September and now waiting for next one in late October.

Inspire you to start learning to prep for THAT DAY. To me a total collapse of modern society is very unlikely, but you know, this is a new life-style, a totally self-sustained way of life. New knowledge always benefits us.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Neon Genesis Evangelion,tv series..One of the most overrated anime's i watched. Buuu!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I think you just hate giant robots at this stage.

In all seriousness though, NGE is a bit over rated. I think that at least in my part of the world it stems from the fact that it was one of the first "serious" anime's that most people watched when they first started getting into the genre so therefor it had to be amazing.

I like the robots and the fights, but I don't think the original series ever really went anywhere and it kinda just ends without having built up to all that much. I haven't watched any of the newer material.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Ah come on men i don't hate robots men,watched both patlabor movies and i liked them allot,and two gundam movies which were good as well. But this Neon Genesis is so boring,characters are unlikable,fights are not good either. And whats with those lame designed "angels". I stopped at episode 14,to much is to much for me.

Wish someone would make something like mechwarior :3 That would be nice to watch

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    In all seriousness though, NGE is a bit over rated. I think that at least in my part of the world it stems from the fact that it was one of the first "serious" anime's that most people watched when they first started getting into the genre so therefor it had to be amazing.
    My first "serious" anime was Akira and, although it made no sense whatsoever, was still miles better than the horrible, horrible, mess that was NGE.

Funnily enough, mangas of both titles are supposed to actually make sense - though I never found it when I tried to read Akira manga.

I also read manga of Neon Evangelion,its SAME,totally same shit as aanime haha. Otherwise AKIRA is epic,one of the most epic animated movies. Beside Ninja scroll,Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust,Ghost In The Shell,Princess Mononokee! Plus few others i'm to lazy to count :3 prprprp

Resumed watching Babylon 5. Jeez, the special effects. But it's all worth it when G'kar and Londo appear. The episode I'm currently watching is Bester's premiere. One of the First One races shows up as well, I never noticed them appearing so early (episode 6 of season 1, asides from Kosh of course).

tl;dr I'd kill for Babylon 6.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Man, I need to rewatch Babylon 5 one of these days. I hope the story holds up.

I caught up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine over the weekend. I wasn't expecting much as the trailers didn't seem all that funny and the only things I've seen Andy Samberg in were Lonely Island videos, but turns out it's a really fun ensemble show. I guess I need to go back and try Parks & Rec again now (I've only seen the first few episodes of season 1).

Also Bones has started its new season, but it's becoming too painful now to enjoy even on an ironic level (my gf and I have a Bones drinking game and bunch of running gags that have helped us endure the last two seasons).

The last end-of-season cliffhanger is a dilemma of the most mind-numbingly dumb kind that as David Boreanaz's character continues to endure this horrible secret it only makes him look like the dumbest guy in the world. It would literally take him 5 minutes of thought to resolve it.

Also somewhere along the way Emily Deschanel became a dreadful actress, as the Bones character has flipped from an emotionally stunted nerd to a verbose idiot from another planet. In the last episode they both went undercover. With accents. Horrible.

I long for the Sweets and Daisy centred Bones: The Next Generation spinoff that should totally exist. That sentence probably makes no sense to anyone else here.

Sleepy Hollow, if watched immediately after Bones, manages to come across as a not-terrible and reasonably clever show. Isolated viewings however aren't as kind to it.

The pilot was a hasty mess, but since then they've managed to at least make the main character Ichabod likeable. But his sidekick and caretaker, the female cop, is still nothing more than a mix of reaction shots and buried secrets. She is a decent actor (the whole cast is excellent) but the script is just ruining her right now. Her sister, who seems to be shaping up as some self-taught Buffy/Terminator 2-era Sarah Connor locked in a mental institution, is vastly more interesting despite having only been on screen for a few minutes.

Worst of all though is the monster-of-the-week format, which has rarely felt so misjudged. In the two episodes since the pilot they have set up two villains who could have been interesting recurring antagonists but just killed them off. The show seems to be trying to focus its mythos on a very local level, but it's squandering it - throwing stuff away that could really take advantage of that local-ness later. But so far it's dumb (very dumb) fun and the special effects have been really high quality. And it's far better than Elementary, but then I think less of that show than I do Bones.

But I don't just watch shows that annoy me. Agents of SHIELD had a so-so pilot and then a much more solid second episode. Most of the characters are coming to life now, the big exceptions being Agent Ward (who still isn't particularly convincing) and Skye (who is convincing, but also annoying). I like how despite not having the heroes from the movies, they are not timid about mentioning them. Early days yet, but I am enjoying it so far.
    Last edited by Screwie; 08-10-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Resumed watching Babylon 5. Jeez, the special effects.
    Produced on an Amiga!

At least at first -- they might have traded up at some point, I don't know.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I recently watched Battlestar Galactica, season 1. It wasn't bad, had some nice characters and ideas, but some elements (like that baltar dude) grew more and more annoying. Oh, and the Cylons stopped making sense at all.

Is it worth watching later seasons?

You don't like Baltar? It's the best thing in all the show next to the music.

I loved the show and enjoyed every second of it, but if you just liked it it might not be the thing for you. I'd recommend watching season 2 as it has some of the best episodes in all the series. If there is a point you stop enjoying it leave it as there is certainly a drop of quality in season 3. Season 4 sees a return to previous quality but it's too late for the show by then.

You watched the miniseries first, right?
    Last edited by Tikey; 08-10-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Agents of SHIELDs second episode has the best ending ever. (after the credits)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Agents of SHIELDs second episode has the best ending ever. (after the credits)
    Yeah, that was ace!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    If there is a point you stop enjoying it leave it as there is certainly a drop of quality in season 3. Season 4 sees a return to previous quality but it's too late for the show by then.
    A few episodes into season 3 was the point I left it despite enjoying what had gone before (though this was partially due to an episode being missing wherever I'd been streaming it from at the time), probably for the best, I heard what the ending was and it was awful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Also Bones has started its new season, but it's becoming too painful now to enjoy even on an ironic level (my gf and I have a Bones drinking game and bunch of running gags that have helped us endure the last two seasons).

The last end-of-season cliffhanger is a dilemma of the most mind-numbingly dumb kind that as David Boreanaz's character continues to endure this horrible secret it only makes him look like the dumbest guy in the world. It would literally take him 5 minutes of thought to resolve it.

Also somewhere along the way Emily Deschanel became a dreadful actress, as the Bones character has flipped from an emotionally stunted nerd to a verbose idiot from another planet. In the last episode they both went undercover. With accents. Horrible.

I long for the Sweets and Daisy centred Bones: The Next Generation spinoff that should totally exist. That sentence probably makes no sense to anyone else here.
    Yeah, I am pretty sure they lost me. Between the horrible accents, the fact that I kind of want all of the cast except for Sweets to die, and that they shipped Sweets off (even temporarily) basically threw me from the series. And the villain just REALLY annoys me. I can tolerate bad computer knowledge (I watch NCIS, the TV show where, to hack faster, they had two people have seizures on the same keyboard), but this is just absurd AND is basically the entire plot.

Also, what REALLY annoyed me: In the season premier, Boreanez is all sad because he has no idea how to find Larry Stu The Hacker and wha wha wha. Then his buddy, Freddie Prinze Jr, says "Hey, if you need anything, give me a shout" and Boreanez can't even seem to think of anything. Uhm...

But I don't just watch shows that annoy me. Agents of SHIELD had a so-so pilot and then a much more solid second episode. Most of the characters are coming to life now, the big exceptions being Agent Ward (who still isn't particularly convincing) and Skye (who is convincing, but also annoying). I like how despite not having the heroes from the movies, they are not timid about mentioning them. Early days yet, but I am enjoying it so far.
    Yeah, I am still not huge on most of the cast, but they have the world down perfect. It really does feel like a world that is just coming to grips with superheroes and the like, which is something that too few comics really explore.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I thought the second episode of Agents of SHIELD felt like a bad episode of the A-team, obviously the conceit of many of these kinds of shows is not dissimilar, but the plotting and the idea of 'an old flame in the army, who tries to seduce our Hero Phil (or the Face) to hide her imminent and entirely obvious betrayal, it was pure A-team and a bit silly. But yay for Sam Jackson I guess?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    A few episodes into season 3 was the point I left it despite enjoying what had gone before (though this was partially due to an episode being missing wherever I'd been streaming it from at the time), probably for the best, I heard what the ending was and it was awful.
    Season 3 plunges into the abyss by episode 6. When the mayor plot point from the start of the season gets resolved. From what I heard sci-fi wanted the episodes to be more self contained, which destroyed the most interesting aspect of the show. It's a miracle it got to a fourth season but one season was too little to give the series a proper closure.
    But despite the criticisms I enjoyed the fourth season a lot.
    And of course, as with every series that propelled by mysteries is very hard to finish it to everyone's satisfaction. I took the ending for what it is and enjoyed it. At least it didn't end like Lost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Arpeggio of Blue Steel, a Japanese manga is now adopted for animation.

With sea level rises due to global warming, humans lost some of land to the sea. Just as they (we) thought they could overcome the situation, the nature seemed to take its final revenge over us. An overwhelming yet mysterious naval force emerged from no where, forced humans out of any sea navigation. This fleet was always covered under fog, hence was referred to as the Fog Navy. In one final and desperate attempt to reclaim the oceans, human nations joined forces under the leadership of the United Nations, united their naval forces together to establish a new global human naval force, and launch one great naval offensive against the Fog Navy in 2039 - only to be annihilated. With this disastrous defeat, human nations were hopelessly divided by oceans.

The story begins at the 17th year after that great naval defeat of humans. Japanese navy had Chihaya Gunzo, commander of a hi-tech submarine I-401, which was the only human vessel capable of combating vessels of the Fog Navy. But this I-401 was not a product of humans: it was a captured vessel formerly belonging to the Fog Navy, and was run by an AI with girl appearance. It was revealed that commanding vessels of the Fog Navy all had their AI girls with unique characteristics. But to be more precise, this I-401 was actually not captured - it simply defected to human side and for some reason came directly to Chihaya to serve as his subordinate. And Chihaya was no common military officer, he was son of Chihaya Shozo, a legendary Japanese Navy commander, yet for some unknown reason defected to the Fog Navy.

So with I-401, human nations finaly had some small hope of maintaining minimum contact. Before that, the Fog Navy established a 3D blockade which not only forbidding any human vessel to navigate the marine zone, but also shot down all aerial vehicles and even satellites, and cut submarine communication optic fiber. Human developed rocket propelled aerial vessels, hoped they could out run the Fog Navy's attack, but before I-401 they were all shot down. By then, whenever they launched a rocket propelled vehicle, they sent I-401 to combat the Fog Navy, which would definitely emerge to try to shoot down the vehicle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I saw that on a site today and it looked interesting.

Does it do any "funny" anime stuff or is it more serious/straight than that?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID