Page 96 of 147 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2925
    Activated Node
    Just watched the first episode of Les Revenants ( or The Returned in english ) and it was amazing. Basically, it's a french show where dead people mysteriously appear in the present, having no memory of their death. Also there's a serial killer and a creepy boy and some more mysteries. I am really looking forward to the rest of the show.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    I like it quite a lot, possibly partially because it was one of the very few sci-fi series that were shown here in the mid-nineties (not that it's much better now). It's sort of a mass of cliches, the acting and effects can be iffy, but I think it manages to work anyway.

Just watched the first season of Farscape. I don't think it was ever shown here, so I didn't know anything about it and only started on it because it was mentioned in this thread a good while back. It's quite enjoyable.
    Farscape is one of those rare things that starts well, becomes better then really good and ends in a satisfying high. Its glorious.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Farscape is one of those rare things that starts well, becomes better then really good and ends in a satisfying high. Its glorious.
    Farscape was awesome. One of the best sci-fi tv shows ever.... but... I never finished it. I don't remember what happened, but I had to stop watching it around the 3rd season and now I don't remember where I finished...
    I actually have the whole series on DVD, but I don't know where to start and I'm not sure I have time to start from the beginning again. (I'd love to, but I also want to watch a whole shed-load of other things like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Homeland, etc...). Argh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Sounds like whatever, you should watch from season 3 onwards. My recommendation to get you up to speed though would be to watch the following season 2 episodes in order: Crackers Don't Matter (this is the subtle start to the biggest plot point in the show), Won't Get Fooled Again, then the three Liars, Guns and Money episodes followed by the unofficial fourth parter to it and season finale, Die Me, Dichotomy. Season 3 is great, but also has some of the darkest material in the entire run. That's not a bad thing at all, but it's certainly a heavy watch. Granted, this is mostly just a build up of what was started in the second season.

Of course, you should watch it all again, any excuse really. I want another space opera as good as this to watch and look forward to.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    yeah, I'm on season 3 now and it's certainly not disappointing.
    Not often I laugh out loud at anything, but it's happened quite a few times with Farscape. Crichton is exceptionally good at being exasperated.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Crichton is exceptionally good at being exasperated.
    "I hate these goggles, they look like crap!"

Activated Node
    Agreed! TV is missing out on an epic scifi series at the moment. The closest I've enjoyed was Defiance... and that was pretty crap.I'm currently really enjoying Agents of Shield. It is cheesy, but it kind of reminds me of the cheese I used to watch on a Sunday afternoon as a kid.I am also watching Sleepy Hollow. This show really suprised me. I was expecting pure crap and ended up with a show that has dragged me in with a pretty decent story line and characters.Not sure what I make of Bates Motel. The acting is crazy. Not sure if its deliberate what with everyone being a little bit psychotic. But I'm enjoying it, even if it is bad.Also, MisFits. Love it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Walking dead suck parsnip!

Watched the last season of Spartacus (War of the Damned) recently. Also tried Vikings and didn't like it really. I'm now considering Breaking Bed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshoo View Post
    Watched the last season of Spartacus (War of the Damned) recently. Also tried Vikings and didn't like it really. I'm now considering Breaking Bed.
    Don't consider it, just go for it! I fucking loved Spartacus, I know a lot of people couldn't get past the blood, sex and shockingly bad Pilot, but it was just pure spectacle (and had pretty good plotting).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

So, uh... what happened there?

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    So, uh... what happened there?

I dunno, I have to say this has been the least funny series of Buzzcocks yet.. Maybe he was tired of listening to two children condescend and poorly deliver some poorly written jokes.

Might be time for the BBC to shelve it, it used to have a certain edge to it that's been entirely dulled - wanker signs talking about Wiley has nothing on Mark Lamarr's actual hatred of many pop stars or Simon Amstell's willingness to mock people to their faces.

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Buzzcocks is really only any use since Amstell left if they've managed to get a decent host on it. It's really not the same.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I'm watching Arrow. I can't figure out WHY I'm watching it, but I apparently can't stop.

Interesting story. Good acting. Lackluster almost everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I dunno, I have to say this has been the least funny series of Buzzcocks yet.. Maybe he was tired of listening to two children condescend and poorly deliver some poorly written jokes.

Might be time for the BBC to shelve it, it used to have a certain edge to it that's been entirely dulled - wanker signs talking about Wiley has nothing on Mark Lamarr's actual hatred of many pop stars or Simon Amstell's willingness to mock people to their faces.
    I thought John Hannah did a good job as host recently, although I was disappointed he didn't say "Jupiters' Cock!" at any time during it.

For posterity:

----

So this remake of The Tomorrow People... After five episodes, I have no reaction to it either positive or negative so far.
    Last edited by Rath; 07-11-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    I thought John Hannah did a good job as host recently, although I was disappointed he didn't say "Jupiters' Cock!" at any time during it.
    Agreed, when they can get a good host in it can still be entertaining, but they had Eamonn fucking Holmes dressed as Elvis last week, a new low.

And on Twitter

Finished with Farscape, sadly. Now trying Babylon 5, another one that was never shown here properly (I think they showed one season and reran it three or four times in a row). So far it's pretty slow and a bit sterile, but I'm only on season 1.
    Kind of interesting to see the graphics there was so much talk about in the Amiga magazines back when the first episodes were made.

Yeah, I just managed to notice Babylon 5 was being shown from the start literally the day before it started. A surprising amount of foreshadowing of later episodes right from the off, and my god the effects look more dated than I was expecting.
    It's weird that they seemed more advanced than other stuff at the time, but haven't aged as well by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
    Yeah, I just managed to notice Babylon 5 was being shown from the start literally the day before it started. A surprising amount of foreshadowing of later episodes right from the off, and my god the effects look more dated than I was expecting.
    It's weird that they seemed more advanced than other stuff at the time, but haven't aged as well by comparison.
    yeah. I wonder if it's partly a resolution thing. They must have had to compromise on that, at least.
    I was working as a graphics artist on a TV station at the time the early episodes were first shown and I remember making a fifteen second 3D rendered 32 colour greyscale sequence in 320x256. It took six or seven full days to render on an Amiga 1200...
    They must have had quite the setup for the series and it must have taken a hell of a lot of work.

It's growing on me, but it really is quite slow to show any kind of story arc. As you say, there is a good lot of foreshadowing, but you only realize it after a good while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah Season One left me a little bit cold but I have heard a lot better so I might have to get back into it, also Far scape.

At the moment watching Masters Of Sex its quite good and definitly shows you how much this sex study is a boon to women's rights and the rise of feminism. The woman to me are the most interesting characters. I really don't know though how this would last a few seasons unfortunately the plot of a sex study can't really be stretched to much.