Page 98 of 168 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3343
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Well, that was one awesome Doctor Who special.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 23-11-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    That was one awesome episode of Doctor Who.
    Yeah, it was actually... good? [SPOILERS FOLLOW] Like, I say that as someone who watched the most recent series and was unimpressed, and maintains the fact that Ecclestone is the best of the new doctors (he really is, and his episodes are also the most consistently good (that is to say, some individual tennant episodes might be better, overall, not so much) - I was absolutely braced for disappointment. Instead I got some snappy dialogue, some outright laughs, and whilst every doctor who special ends with a contrived deus ex machina, this one wasn't so bad. (it mostly fails on the fact that it wasn't exactly an out there idea based on a technology that was apparently by timelord standards actually quite mundane - why hadn't anybody else thought of that?) That they could have done a lot more with John Hurt's doctor is partially assuaged by the fact that they did so much with the few minutes of Rose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I was impressed by john hurt he got the character of the doctor pretty well and it made the three of them interacting very entertaining. this was the episode that made me remember actually david tennant can be good he was just hampered by bad writing a lot of the time. I kind of want a littlie mini series with John hurts character he was that good.

SPOILERS

its interesting that they went with john hurt being a previous doctor making the numbers now not make sense. I can also imagine a lot of people being pissed that rose tyler wasn't Rose Tyler but I liked the thought that the image was to show him thathe did survive. surprisongly heartfelt episode to be hones showing the darkest moment of the doctor i thought that was handled beautifully throughout and i kind of wished they pushed it a bit more but I can understand why not otherwise it would have been quite dark.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I mean, I was pretty giddy just at the sight of the opening credits, but that was a properly solid episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    (it mostly fails on the fact that it wasn't exactly an out there idea based on a technology that was apparently by timelord standards actually quite mundane - why hadn't anybody else thought of that?)
    [Some more spoilers!]I never even questioned that, but now that you have, I think I know exactly why I didn't question it. It's far from being a failing, it's actually playing the Time Lords for exactly who/what they are. They were as aggressive in the war as the Daleks, they were just as happy to try subterfuge and open warfare as the Daleks. Neither was prepared to back down and the Time Lords were too arrogant to look to see any other way. Their reply to the Dalek problem was, quite poetically, exterminate. Even when it looked like The Doctor was falling foul of the same brand of thinking as the rest of the Time Lords, he wasn't gone far enough to sink into the kill-or-be-killed mentality. The Doctor points out this arrogance to the Time Lords on numerous times, only for it to all fall on deaf ears. Presumably when he recovers Gallifrey they'll have a hand in his generation to Doctor Capaldi and might, might just realise that thinking with a little more grounded intelligence could be beneficial to their society.

More likely just a pat on The Doctor's back, a muted thank you swallowed by a cough and a sending him on his way with a fresh set of regenerations.
    [/spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    its interesting that they went with john hurt being a previous doctor making the numbers now not make sense.
    [Oh, no wait, there's more.]Did you not hear the Gallifreyan commander? All 13 of them! "Rule 1: The Doctor always lies." It simply means that everyone after McGann is shifted up one, inserting Hurt as the Ninth. Sure, it's a little bit revisionist history, but I'm willing to buy into it when it's delivered as well as this.[/spoiler]
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Activated Node
    No spoilers, but the Peter Davison-written/directed "The Five(ish) Doctors" is glorious. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

It is.

As for spoilers, I want to make a correction in terminology re. my last post. [Spoilers]Time Lords are Gallifreyans, but not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords. The generals seen in the war room in this episode might've been Time Lords given their garb, but are more likely just high ranking officials serving the Gallifreyan population.[/spoilers] It's a little thing, but it bugged me when I started thinking about it later.

Also, An Adventure In Space And Time was great. I'd have liked a little more attention put on Delia Derbyshire so she wasn't almost a blink-and-you'll-miss-it silhouette, but it was otherwise very enjoyable. Quite frankly, the BBC have done a fantastic job of celebrating the series.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yes they totally have and the casting of David Bradley is Genius as William Hartnell as soon as you see him its obvious he is the only one who could play him. Also very touching portrayal especially near the end where he is going in decline but also keeping the fact that he was a very hard man to deal with sometimes(I remember being shocked watching the first episode of how abrasive the first doctor actually was!) I have to say it was a little bit like a greatest hits of the doctor and didn't have much meat to its bones apart from the story with William Hartnell but I guess you can't do everything with an hour and a half and what they focused on was probably the right call.

Babylon 5 - Comes The Inquisitor: I'm getting a (strong) 40k vibe from this episode. Even if the Inquisitor in question doesn't look like this. Someone with the proper resources should really make a proper 40k TV series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I marathoned Banshee.
    It's hard to explain.
    A criminal assumes the identity of a sheriff in a small, remote town. It has many interesting characters and a very good story.
    It's sort of like Eastern Promises meets The Punisher.
    The violence is off the charts. You know those fights from Eastern Promises and They Live? Almost every episode has something like that. With some Mortal Kombat worthy finishers on top.
    Also many hot ladies get nude.
    Can't wait for the season 2, starting this January.

(episode 2 isn't that great, but hang in there if you decide to watch)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I marathoned Banshee.
    It's hard to explain.
    A criminal assumes the identity of a sheriff in a small, remote town. It has many interesting characters and a very good story.
    It's sort of like Eastern Promises meets The Punisher.
    The violence is off the charts. You know those fights from Eastern Promises and They Live? Almost every episode has something like that. With some Mortal Kombat worthy finishers on top.
    Also many hot ladies get nude.
    Can't wait for the season 2, starting this January.

(episode 2 isn't that great, but hang in there if you decide to watch)
    If you just invoked Carpenter, Cronenberg and Boon only to disappoint me, I'll be mighty disappointed.

I've recently started watching Game of Thrones again, after dismissing it many months back as being generic fantasy tosh. It is generic fantasy tosh, I was right, but it's also VERY entertaining, if one can just get through the first four episodes. I appreciate the need to introduce characters and bloodlines and stuff, and set events in motion, but four hours?

I'm now up to ep. 7, and whilst it has done nothing so far to surprise me, I have started to really enjoy it

Activated Node
    My thoughts:*****[SPOILERS: I can't white this stuff out on this computer :(]*****I thought John Hurt wasn't THE Doctor. He was THE guy who became THE original Doctor Who.I took from the episode that the events that happen were the events that made The Doctor. So at the end, when he enters the tardis, he becomes The 1st Doctor.Was he the 9th then?

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I was impressed by john hurt he got the character of the doctor pretty well and it made the three of them interacting very entertaining. this was the episode that made me remember actually david tennant can be good he was just hampered by bad writing a lot of the time. I kind of want a littlie mini series with John hurts character he was that good.
    I don't think he'd be entertaining enough to watch by himself. He's great as a disapproving father figure to his future generations though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Star Wars - The Clone Wars. The animated thingy. It's actually okay, to my surprise. I'm most of the way through season 1 and while there was one episode with Jar Jar, it's far less annoying than the prequel movies. Bit surprised walking and running animations are so poor, though.

Also watched Generation Kill a while ago and quite enjoyed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Yeah John Hurt as a pseudo-representative for all the classic regenerations of the Doctor as a counterpoint to Tennant and Smith was great.

I also really like how they canonised a reason for the newer Doctors to be so young. That each regeneration is a reaction to the previous one is an idea I've always subscribed to, great to see it referenced here. And all this immediately before the Doctor is due to become an older gent again (and what that now signifies)!
    Very clever indeed.

What also impressed me about this whole special was the 5 minute prequel minisode The Night of the Doctor (linked to hopefully avoid spoilers), to see the SPOILERS was mindblowing.

Honestly this is the first "special" episode of the show I've enjoyed in a very long time.
    Last edited by Screwie; 25-11-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Star Wars - The Clone Wars. The animated thingy. It's actually okay, to my surprise. I'm most of the way through season 1 and while there was one episode with Jar Jar, it's far less annoying than the prequel movies. Bit surprised walking and running animations are so poor, though.
    It gets a lot better. Season 3 onwards they just go all out in characters, action and space opera war goodness. I recommend the original 2D series by Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack) as well. I don't think any other series has captured Jedi and Sith so well. Especially General Grevious, who's a genuine Jedi killing machine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Yeah John Hurt as a pseudo-representative for all the classic regenerations of the Doctor as a counterpoint to Tennant and Smith was great.

I also really like how they canonised a reason for the newer Doctors to be so young. That each regeneration is a reaction to the previous one is an idea I've always subscribed to, great to see it referenced here. And all this immediately before the Doctor is due to become an older gent again (and what that now signifies)!
    Very clever indeed.
    Oh that's brill, I love it.

So Family Guy just killed Brian. Then replaced him with a new dog called Vinnie. If you're going to kill off a major character I suppose getting hit by a car while setting up for a game of street hockey and then dying from your injuries on a table is not the worst way to go...

I have completely, 100% blanked any possible recollection of what the hell was going on in Lost Girl so now I'm going to have to re-watch the first three seasons. But that means more appreciation of Ksenia Solo, so not a bad thing.

Meanwhile on Yet Another Remake Of The Tomorrow People, they are trying my patience by not giving Madeleine Mantock that much to do. The girl is amazing and she's relegated to the background. Also, this show could do without the utterly incongruous AI. Kudos to the writers for giving some characters a few episodes for you to become familiar with them and then suddenly killing them off though. Jacob from Lost is quite good as the villain, although the name "Jedekiah" can die in a fire.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    It gets a lot better. Season 3 onwards they just go all out in characters, action and space opera war goodness.
    Just started season 2. It's really rather enjoyable. Ahsoka has more personality than all the characters in the prequel movies combined (I like that there are so many female Jedis in general too). And despite their silliness, the enemies are actually pretty evil instead of just looking evil like in the movies.

I recommend the original 2D series by Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack) as well. I don't think any other series has captured Jedi and Sith so well. Especially General Grevious, who's a genuine Jedi killing machine in it.
    Thanks. I'll put that on the list.
    Last edited by Similar; 25-11-2013 at 11:26 PM.

So I've been watching Fresh Meat on 4OD because I've given up on trying to watch things broadcast live when living with other people, parents or not, but after the episode recently made available (3.05) I just need to talk to someone about it. After I pretty much abandoned Peep Show a few episodes into the last series thinking it had become incredibly stale, I reckoned that the team had made it a B project behind Fresh Meat and considering the quality of this series, I think it really, really shows. They've always been pretty good at mixing drama and comedy on Fresh Meat (the horse scene is both hilarious and depressing) but this latest episode is just something else altogether. If series 2 was consistently great, this is just consistently greater. What a solid show.

Otherwise, I remain watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which is just a very easy show to watch even if it is at best amusing. Terry Crews and Stephanie Beatriz steal the show as their respective detectives. I still don't think New Girl has hit the stride of season 2 yet, but it too remains a main-stay I suppose and Agents of SHIELD is improving at a pace. Not, you know, a great pace, but it is improving. The sooner they can get rid of Skye and just have Cobie Smulders come on as Agent Hill post-HIMYM, the better it'll get I'm sure.