Page 99 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 3104
    Farscape just got added to UK Netflix, now I get to see what all the fuss here was about.

Other than that, I recently got Sky On Demand and Strikeback has come a big guilty pleasure. Yes it's escapist Lads TV tosh, Spooks meets a modern day Commando Library comic, but Season 1 and Season 2 so far have been thoroughly enjoyable and it's considerably better produced than I expected it to be. Didn't know Sky was commissioning anything that looks this expensive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    After I pretty much abandoned Peep Show a few episodes into the last series thinking it had become incredibly stale, I reckoned that the team had made it a B project behind Fresh Meat and considering the quality of this series, I think it really, really shows.
    Actually Bain and Armstrong only usually write one episode per series of Fresh Meat, they've been quite vocal about how they wanted to use the series to give young writers an opportunity (which is in itself laudable) and I think it's been a more than worthwhile experiment in that regard.

I also thought episode 5 was quite exceptional, mainly because my primary frustration with the show is a lack of character development. The character's relationships change, but they don't seem to really learn anything or move forward, always retaining their most one dimensional aspects (despite whatever experiences they've just been through). That's fine in a straight-up sitcom, where characters are allowed to reset every week, but there is a serial aspect to Fresh Meat and they should use that to embrace a change in the characters - so far this has only really been allowed to happen to JP. But the last episode could potentially given another dimension to Vod and I hope the writers for next weeks episode allow Kingsley to have permanently moved on from being such a nice, but essentially boring twat. Oregon is stuck in a holding pattern too, of being massively pretentious and egotistical, then repeatedly running into Shales, without really finding much worthwhile for her to do.

I gave up on Agents of SHIELD already, I just got bored and switched it off during the middle of the episode about 3-4 weeks ago and from what I've read it hasn't really improved. Maybe it can miraculously transform into something essential, but it feels like a missed opportunity from Marvel. Still interested in how those Netflix series turn out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Farscape just got added to UK Netflix, now I get to see what all the fuss here was about.
    I watched Farscape originally in fits and starts, missing about half of the episodes despite enjoying it. So this is awesome news!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Well then that just raises further questions about what they're doing with Peep Show! Heh, maybe I should try and become a writer for Fresh Meat, he says half-seriously. I think you're right with character development. There seem to be a mix of characters that just have stuff happen to them each week (Oregon, Howard) and those that actually have development that changes things (err...yeah, JP and now Vod). Obviously it can blur a bit, but I think failings here are usually quite small and not of any significant detriment to just how good the show is.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I watched Farscape originally in fits and starts, missing about half of the episodes despite enjoying it. So this is awesome news!
    Good. More converts. Whilst I won't say the start of Farscape is unwatchable by any means, it is definitely not amazing. Until about 3/4 through the first season it's mostly Thing of the Week, although some episodes are very good regardless of this fact. When Crichton puts on the leather though, all bets are off and the descent into madness begins.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

​Oh my god! Re-subscribes to Netflix thank god i was wondering how i was going to finish season 2!

Sons of Anarchy Season 5. The episode were Walton Goggins from The Shield shows up as a transvestite. Epic.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Just started season 2. It's really rather enjoyable. Ahsoka has more personality than all the characters in the prequel movies combined (I like that there are so many female Jedis in general too). And despite their silliness, the enemies are actually pretty evil instead of just looking evil like in the movies.

Thanks. I'll put that on the list.
    Here's the whole thing on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTmIwOLfUlM. The first season was 20 very short - five minutes each - episodes. Season 2 was five 25(ish) minute episodes.
    Last edited by khaz; 28-11-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Here's the whole thing on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTmIwOLfUlM. The first season was 20 very short - five minutes each - episodes. Season 2 was five 25(ish) minute episodes.
    ah, great timing; I'll be running out of episodes of the later series today.
    Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Not exactly TV, but I'm currently watching the MST3K Turkey Day marathon. First up was Space Mutiny, a great episode. Airing now is I Accuse My Parents, which I haven't seen before, so it's a treat for me.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Made a start on Fresh Meat but thesis writing and the fact the episodes are too long to fit into a lunch break means it has been slow going so far and I've only watched the first episode.

Enjoyed it though and looking forward to more. This is about the only place where I can tolerate Jack Whitehall as I'm meant actually meant to dislike him!

Watched all 3 seasons of The Almighty Johnsons after it was recommended to me. Really enjoyable and funny show about Norse gods living as mortals in New Zealand.

Sleepy Hollow is also one I'm watching, it should be terrible and it doesn't always make sense, but right now it's fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Just finished watching the last episode of Breaking Bad, months after everyone else in the world. I don't watch a lot of TV but I'm glad I didn't miss this show, so thanks everyone for going on about it - now I can finally go read those spoilers a couple of pages back. The finale was pretty much exactly what I expected apart from Walt using the Schwarzes to get money to his family rather than enacting bloody revenge on them and I was certain Jesse would end up killing Walt as a way of finally breaking free from him. That Jesse did that by choosing not to kill Walt was a really satisfying conclusion.

Activated Node
    Right now I am watching "hemlock Grove" on Netflix. Its really good.

I also watch Hannabal, Suits, Beauty and The Beast, Rookie Blue. I like anything made in Toronto because I work in the industry so it makes sense to support it. I advise all of you to check out these shows if you want some high quality Canadian television

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Thanks Skalpadda! Despite being a few months after the fact, you still elected to hide all the spoilery Breaking Bad stuff behind tags. I'm worse than you (still not started Season 4) and I appreciate it!

This weekend I watched the first few episodes of Almost Human. The 80s-esque scifi feel permeates the show, and the main characters are great and bounce off each other really well. Loads of crazy weapons and gadgetry abound, but never at the expense of the plot. Loving it.

Walking Dead had their mid-season finale last weekend and it was amazing. The new showrunner has really ruened the show around and never moreso than here, when he (some spoilers) produced the finale that should have happened at the end of the previous season, instead of that damp climbdown. The second half of the episode was brutal, chaotic and gut-wrenching.. This show is finally living up to its potential!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I disliked the mid-season a lot.

I think that after the last two episodes the show had potential to do something interesting. Anyone who watched the 8th episode knows where that went...
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Without lurching into spoilers, my main complaint about this half-season is that the story over the last 3 episodes did feel like it was rushing somewhat. I feel they would have created a more natural progression and escalation if they'd taken the mostly self-contained episodes 6 and 7 and intercut them through the earlier episodes.

Or you could have moved episode 8 to the season finale spot and worked extra storylines inbetween now and then. Either way.

However, I do get the impression the state of affairs at the end of this episode is (okay, some spoilers) a reaction to A. the previous season's finale, and B. the feeling that they've been at the prison long enough already. This does have a "let's get this over with" feeling, wrapping things up, righting the course and getting a move on for whatever's next.

Despite that, I think the episode hit all the right notes and I found it a very satisfying end for the Governor, who frankly should have died last season. The episode itself was brilliant, but getting there could have been better
    Last edited by Screwie; 03-12-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Would people here be interested in group watching something together? I have something in mind but its the kind of show that requires you to sink your teeth and mind into and it is sci-fi but its the kind of show that fosters an insane amount of discussion as well and that's way more fun with people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Made a start on Fresh Meat but thesis writing and the fact the episodes are too long to fit into a lunch break means it has been slow going so far and I've only watched the first episode. // This is about the only place where I can tolerate Jack Whitehall as I'm meant actually meant to dislike him!
    I don't think Fresh Meat really gets going until quite late on into the first series. It feels like they're finding their groove for a long time, but when it gets good it doesn't really let up. Can't say I've had a single disappointing episode between the latest episode (3x6) and the beginning of the second series although granted that's only 14 episodes.

And talking about Fresh Meat and the latest (online) episode, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. Man. When the warning on 4OD includes "scenes of a sexual nature", you know something good is going to happen and to say that wasn't even the best part. This episode was a really intense character study of the entire cast and seems fairly humorous given the previous discussion higher up on this page regarding certain characters. It's not just in the writing too because it comes off in the clothing and general presentation too. Absolutely solid episode.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Would people here be interested in group watching something together? I have something in mind but its the kind of show that requires you to sink your teeth and mind into and it is sci-fi but its the kind of show that fosters an insane amount of discussion as well and that's way more fun with people.
    Depends what it is, but that could be a neat idea.