Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    yeah in now not sure if Im on euro 1 or 2 though, they restarted them not long ago so at least you can join a bit quicker.

If you get on a server just let me know and I'll come and find you guys, I've got a map

Yes I am wormball in game
    Last edited by wormball; 23-04-2012 at 07:13 PM.

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=45

The new version is out!

Some of you may be saddened that it's now impossible for multiple people to butcher the same animal. All the bugs relating to duplicating stuff by disconnecting are supposed to be fixed.

Most of you will probably be very pleased that Global, Command and Side VON channels have been disabled.

I'm personally interested by the morality mechanism, which changes your model once you've slaughtered enough dudes, though I doubt it'll stop the me-murderfest that is my DayZ experience. At least the last person who shot me did it while I could see them, though emptying two revolverloads into my unconscious form after I'd gone down did seem a bit gratuitous.

EDIT: They rolled it back? Curses
    Last edited by Harlander; 24-04-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Most of you will probably be very pleased that Global, Command and Side VON channels have been disabled.
    Finally! Was getting so annoying. Yesterday I managed to stay alive alone and got a sniper rifle and a map after crawling through an entire village. Now to find someone with a better gun and steal it.
    I am still surprised (and maybe fortunate) that I have yet to run into other survivors. Trekking through the woods for most of the time I played yesterday probably didn't help.

Annoying or not, I think the murderfest is what is gonna make this mod interesting in the long run and not the zombies. I think it will keep it dynamic for some time, since you don't keep your loot when you die and there is not gonna be people with good guns and supplies holding on to them forever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I got to play with Wormball for about 10 mins before the servers decided to update. Nice chap, gave me a rifle and ammo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    EDIT: They rolled it back? Curses
    Because it broke all the servers.

Looks like they have a new one up, though.

Activated Node
    To be honest I think Im really done with this until the mod reaches its finished state. Its not so much that player killing is allowed and not really penalised, I fully support that and generally I hate enforced morality systems in persistant multiplayer games (fellucia/trammel killed Ultima online, not that you kids are probably old enough to remember that) Its more that once you understand the mechanics, zombies aren't a threat at all.

I mean its a survival game, but to survive you just need to hang out in the woods. The gameplay imperative is to find stuff but that stuff isn't really to help you survive its just to make you feel more powerful. After all, you can essentially kill infinite zombies with your basic pistol, as soon as one follows you it can't hit you if you keep running so all you need to do is run till you find an enterable house and then mow down the hordes.

Its not even like better stuff protects you against player killing, every death I've had since my first day playing has been player kills and not one has been a shoot out, its always been shot by a sniper from miles away (just griefing as the chance they shot me from 300 metres to loot my stuff is remote.) Or someone alluding to be friendly, before headshoting you with a revolver.

I find myself acting in this like I act in RPG games. Sometimes in RPGs I try to start a playthrough as an "evil" character and I can't do it cos it just seems so forced. (Ok so why am I murdering this guy so the town can get taken over by bandits? Oh right because I'm "evil" even though the town being taken over by bandits isn't in my interests whatsoever) Sometimes I think about wasting some dude for his nice gun but then I'm like nah man thats just being a dick, almost instantly before he shoots me in the head.

Obscure Node
    I'm starting to feel like that but more due to the servers being so unstable, must be getting disconnected every 10 mins and with it taking ages to connect it's starting to get very frustrating.

You're definitely a target if you're alone though, I managed to get in a group with 5 others a few days ago and it makes it completely different as you can just bully others. The lone sniper is a bit of an issue though, probably be better if they made sniper rifles a lot rarer as they're not best suited for killing zombies anyway.

Obscure Node
    Drake I'm just outside that little town we reached and were going to skirt. The servers keep crashing but I'm not up to owt so I'll keep trying but I am a bit stuck without a map (my fault :) so I'll hang about till we can re group.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EBass View Post
    SNIP
    I can understand this but I also think the beauty (or demise) of this mod will be the players. I have the feeling the zombies were not meant to be the main enemy but the players themselves. Some will choose to be dicks, some not and some depending on the situation. I really think this is what would keep it from becoming another zombie shooter, and Arma is not suited for fast gunplay like L2D for example. It's really up to the players to create their own (emergent?) stories. I m really getting a kind of STALKER vibe from this game (or maybe it's just wishful thinking). Ultimately it might need some kind of endgame as well as it will become tedious.

Having said that, I don't like the morality system either but maybe it will force people to think if they really 'need' to kill someone or not. There is very little stuff you need in order to survive, a map and food/drink. The rest is just out of greed.
    I can imagine that bandits will be attacked on sight and it will make people think and really choose consciously whether they need to kill other players, instead of just doing it for the lulz.

I don't like playing a role either, good or bad, I prefer to make my own choices according to the situation and this is what I will try and do in the game. The other day when we encircled another player who was in a barn, it didn't feel right. He had done nothing against us. On the other hand, it's just a game and maybe I m taking it too seriously right? As I said before, I haven't had real encounters with others (who were not RPS people) so this might change in a week and I come back raging against the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wormball View Post
    Drake I'm just outside that little town we reached and were going to skirt. The servers keep crashing but I'm not up to owt so I'll keep trying but I am a bit stuck without a map (my fault :) so I'll hang about till we can re group.
    Yeah, I sent you a PM with our locations. Will log on and look for you on the server lists every so often. Hopefully things are sorted now.

I'm done with this mod for now. Just today I've been killed seven times by dudes who had better gear than me. Guys fully equipped with AK-47s, Alice backpacks, crossbows, you name it. It's incredibly frustrating after you've ran all the way up north to start near goddamn Kamenka AGAIN.

Obscure Node
    man, me and drake have been running about together on and off all day (with the servers) we started at electro then headed inland you could've joined us, I've got to the point I'm scared to approach anyone if I'm alone! makes for quite a boring experience

Wormball and I have a scout/assault relationship which has worked out well. It's certainly easier and more enjoyable to have a specific role in a group and experience the game's quirks with company, than find a tower to sit in alone all day and shoot anyone who wanders by. Don't ask me why the bandits do what they do, personally I think their approach is mind-numbingly boring.

Forums are up! - http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/

Aaargh, this mod.. It's frustrating and infuriating and I never seem to get anywhere before getting murdered but I keep playing it. It's got that roguelike vibe where starting again is so easy

Ah, come in for the sunday mass :D

http://tinypic.com/r/205qkpl/6

Activated Node
    Thats what happens when you use the enfield.....

Yeah :D
    Btw, if anyone knows in which gas stations I can fill up my jerry can I would really appreciate your help.

Activated Node
    Someone said there was only two or three places you can fill gas cans at the moment, apparently one is a Mogelevka (totally wrong spelling but whatever) but I can't confirm that

I wonder if the one time I lied to people on a server about working gas stations after they found a Little Bird and we had to capture it before they did really already established itself as a myth.

Where did you read that, EBass? Remember when we stopped at Mogilevka with the Landrover and we could not fill up the jerry can or the car itself?

I don't think any of the gas stations work.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Besides boosting combat effectiveness, is there any reason to cooperate? Also, is fortification/construction a part of this mod or planned to be in the future?