Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Besides boosting combat effectiveness, is there any reason to cooperate? Also, is fortification/construction a part of this mod or planned to be in the future?
    Boosting combat effectiveness is a pretty good reason. Also more eyes, being able to heal each other, share equipment, and making it easier to find and repair vehicles. The dev team are keeping quiet about long term plans, maybe that's better than the mods that advertise a load of pipe-dream features that never materialise. I hope construction is on the table though, some form of construction is definitely possible in Arma, though zombie survival style junk-forts may not be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Couple of days ago me, Worm, Cap, and a Swiss cartographer did a bit of sightseeing, heading up Devil's Castle and the airfield. Good times!

Unfortunately the EU servers have removed third-person, and now I'm unable to play for more than 5 minutes without feeling extremely ill thanks to the shaky cam. Hopefully the devs will put third-person back in or provide an alternative option. If not... well, it's been fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Unfortunately the EU servers have removed third-person, and now I'm unable to play for more than 5 minutes without feeling extremely ill thanks to the shaky cam. Hopefully the devs will put third-person back in or provide an alternative option. If not... well, it's been fun while it lasted.
    1: It's not the dev's choice (apart from on the servers they run), it's the difficulty the server is set to
    2: play on the US or NY servers. Ping is not a real problem on them, as ARMA doesn't rely so much on a fast connection. Time overlap is usually quite good unless you want to play at night, US servers are daylight by about 1PM UK time.
    3: If you're talking about the shakey-cam you get when injured, I agree that it's rather sickening, but if you're worried about the running cam shake, you can switch it off, or tone it down, in the options menu.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Third-Person is a server-side option. But the head shaking can be disabled in the options -> Game options -> head bob.

They haven't specifically removed or disabled 3rd person. They've increased the difficulty (Expert I think it is). This has the effect of disabling 3rd person view, but also disables green crosshairs (so you need to use ironsights/optics, making firing from the hip less accurate), the ability to do spacebar scanning (where you can scan the horizon and find out if people are there), death messages (much better not to know unless you see their death) and, most importantly, the Friendly Unit information, where you look at someone and it tells you name etc. Seen as everyone is on the same side (BLUFOR in the game engine that is) it did feel a little cheaty/gamey to be able to ID people from 300 meters.

The harder difficulty makes the experience a little more 'hardcore' if you will... you can't peek round obstacles using 3rd person, if you (ever) fly a chopper it'll have to be done from the cockpit. It also eliminates all of the little shortcuts and such. However, it is a server admin choice... so it could be changed. I don't mind it... I prefer playing my ArmA on the harder difficulties.

Here's a breakdown of the difficulty levels and what they do.

http://wiki.zspecialunit.org/index.p...culty_Settings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Does anyone else have major issues connecting to a server? After minutes of "receiving data" I get stuck on "waiting for server response". Tried on EU1/2 and FR1/2

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    2: play on the US or NY servers. Ping is not a real problem on them, as ARMA doesn't rely so much on a fast connection. Time overlap is usually quite good unless you want to play at night, US servers are daylight by about 1PM UK time.
    All my friends play on the EU servers. And ping only isn't a problem depending on where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Third-Person is a server-side option. But the head shaking can be disabled in the options -> Game options -> head bob.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Edit: It works! Now I can physically play, but after 20 mins I just don't want to anymore. Think I'll go try that new multiplayer Mount & Blade.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 27-04-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Obscure Node
    I was hoping you'd come and find me I've got lost in the north trying to find our campsite.

It is getting boring playing solo though, it's very monotonous treking through the woods trying to avoid bandits and it seems to be getting harder to team up with ok people as everyones so wary, myself included.

And ping only isn't a problem depending on where you are.
    Your 'location' reads 'Jolly Ole England', so I assumed you were playing from the UK. I'm playing from the UK and have absolutely no problem with ping when connecting to or playing on US servers. Aussie servers are a different matter.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Quote Originally Posted by wormball View Post
    I was hoping you'd come and find me I've got lost in the north trying to find our campsite.
    Our hidden tent? It disappeared with one of the server restarts. I have no sense of direction, but I still managed to find the site without a compass and map. :P

Tents don't work properly right now.

Just tried DayZ. That's some tense gaming right there. Awesome stuff.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I will be having more time to play games from this week and I wanna play some more of this mod with RPS people, as alone it gets kind of boring.

Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    I wanna play some more of this mod with RPS people, as alone it gets kind of boring.
    Agreed!

Also, good work Mr.Weed and Darkwingstalker on getting your tips into one of the survival guides on the DayZ forum =)

Third person has been activated on some servers, and also there are more servers.

Wormball is moving house so unless I can find another RPS member, I'll be playing wood hermit for a few days. Don't want to risk losing my equipment. :/

Network Hub
    make sure you guys are getting on mumble, we had an awesome session last night.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWeed View Post
    I wonder if the one time I lied to people on a server about working gas stations after they found a Little Bird and we had to capture it before they did really already established itself as a myth.

Where did you read that, EBass? Remember when we stopped at Mogilevka with the Landrover and we could not fill up the jerry can or the car itself?

I don't think any of the gas stations work.
    Game forums, so its hardly 100% koser. I did remember when we stopped at Moglievka, but I figured it was quite possible we had missed the exact point to fill up gas, the context sensitive command system in arma can be a mite finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
    make sure you guys are getting on mumble, we had an awesome session last night.
    I had a decent run with Weed and Caper this morning too =)

(I glitched off a roof at the airfield and died before trying to hook up with them)

All aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by EBass View Post
    Game forums, so its hardly 100% koser. I did remember when we stopped at Moglievka, but I figured it was quite possible we had missed the exact point to fill up gas, the context sensitive command system in arma can be a mite finicky.
    Dev implied you can fill up empty cans from the large fuel tanks, just not from pumps (because they don't work without power). Don't know if Mogilevka has those.

Gunfights at the airfield are amazing. Highlights include chucking a frag into the fire station back entrance and having a buddy shoot the enemy as they ran out the other side.