Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Improve Eyesight without Glasses

http://gettingstronger.org/2010/07/i...-your-glasses/

The Auxiliary Police here rejected my application because of my short-sightedness. My right eye is 400 degrees something short-sighted, yet my left eye is zero degree. I dont know why, nor my doctor can explain that (but he stressed that it is quite a common problem actually, it's just the medical science has reached a conclusion yet). If I can improve my eye-sight I would definitely apply again. How I long for being a cop.

-snip-

whoops, shoulda read the thread more carefully...
    Anyways, I do want to throw away my glasses and get some natural improvement on these eyes. Damn, I shouldn't have stared at the sun for so long when I was a kid...
    Last edited by Voon; 21-04-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    What does your optometrist think about Hormetism? I ask because I've never heard of it before.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Do you qualify for laser surgery? I have astigmatism in both eyes, mild, but my eyes will always have their shapes. It is a problem of geometry, as I understand. Given that I studied pharmacy and not optometry, but still had anatomy classes and such and such.

Someday whens I have the money I may have laser surgery. It was quite successful for my sister. She had far worse eyesight than I (I get by without glasses but squint at road names) and always had to wear contacts and glasses. For years now she's had perfect sight.

Despite my love affair with lasers in games and on horrific creatures such as headcrabs, I'm a little nervous to have them shave off pieces of my eyeballs. There are possibilities for complications. Plus I've been advised that it's better to have it done earlier in life rather than later just because our vision degrades over time as we grow old regardless... but that's referring to how people have trouble reading later in life and not necessarily about losing our ability to see far off. Just a general caution about getting the most from your investment.

Laser surgery's expensive, I think but could get the job done.

How about contact lens?

Network Hub
    If just exercising your eyes fixed eyesight, everybody would have been doing it forever. Laser surgery works for the vast majority of people. It's not super expensive either, if you consider the expected savings in prescription glasses / sunglasses / protective glasses over a period of time. I would probably have taken the surgery to be eligible for paratrooper school, but turned out not to be eligible for another health issue.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Doing that yoga/kamasutra stuff improved my grandfather's eyesight enough for him to stop wearing the glasses he needed for presbyopia. He's around 80-85 years old. Though I'd rather place my bets on laser surgery.

I don't trust therapeutic techniques that don't have Wikipedia entries.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    The Bates method has a wikipedia entry, but I still don't trust it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I've heard about this sort of technique before. I say give it a try, it's not like they're trying to sell you any magic pills or a book or anything. It just sounds like it requires a degree of persistence. I did play around with the focus thing, and it's true in that after you've moved something just outside your usual focus range after a few seconds you eyes do adjust to the new distance.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Police force here is very demanding on eye-sight. They maintain in their recruitment advertisements that you are qualified in this regard as long as you gain normal eye-sight with glasses. Turn out they only accept it IF you are already recruited and you can keep frontline work even you have short-sightedness after joining the force. If you cannot prove that you have normal eye-sight without glasses during application, sorry, they will turn down your application.

I want to try laser, but the fact no doctor here give it a try freaks me out. I mean, if it's such a reliable technology, why the hell those doctors with short-sightedness dont give it a try? They are still wearing their glasses, if you see my point.

I heard that eye functionality is directly related to liver functionality. Stronger liver means better eyes, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I want to try laser, but the fact no doctor here give it a try freaks me out. I mean, if it's such a reliable technology, why the hell those doctors with short-sightedness dont give it a try? They are still wearing their glasses, if you see my point.
    My optometrist and I both had lasik done in '99.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    The thing with laser surgery is that despite it working very well for a lot of people it's a very young method in medical terms, there are no long term studies at all, simply because it's only been introduced a couple of years ago.

That said, i'm probably going to get laser surgery myself when I hit my mid 30s (I'm blind as a mole without glasses or lenses)

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I don't trust therapeutic techniques that don't have Wikipedia entries.
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    The Bates method has a wikipedia entry, but I still don't trust it.
    Hormetism also has an entry (which this seems to think it is). Hormetism isn't a technique, or specific method though... it's the philosophy that a little bad does good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Network Hub
    I had laser eye surgery in February last year.

Best money. Ever. EVER. Spent.

I don't understand why people don't do it beyond their squeamishness. There is no other purchase I could have made that would have an impact on every second I have my eyes open, which is a good portion of my average day. In fact the bits where they are shut sort of pass me by, almost like a dream...

Was lucky enough to have saved up a lot and not have any real expenses I suppose. But I can't recommend it enough - it does work, it's not very pleasant to have done (horrific in fact) but for a few minutes of discomfort and terror I got an incredibly improved set of peepers. For the first few weeks it was even better than 20/20, though the supervision has stabilised out a bit by now.

I almost take it for granted until I remember then look at everything in a new light.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    But I can't recommend it enough - it does work, it's not very pleasant to have done (horrific in fact) but for a few minutes of discomfort and terror I got an incredibly improved set of peepers.
    They always forget to tell you about the smell...

Network Hub
    The smell wasn't so bad, it was the sensation/sight of the uppermost slither of my eyeball sliding to the left and staying there. All while the surgeon was barking "relax! Relax! RELAX!" at me. Still more than worth it.

Did your surgeon record your surgery? I have a VHS of mine somewhere. It's fascinating to watch.

I think the more important part is: why police? Want to become a detective or..?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I love my contacts, but sometimes I miss just being able to whip off my specs and go to sleep. Few things are worse than losing/screwing up a lens while out and about. Lasering my eyes sounds cool, but it's so pricey and I'm afraid of potentially ruining my eyes.

Basically, I'm waiting for augmentations.
    steam