Network Hub

Rock Hammer Zombie... WarZ - UK Survivors

Does anyone else on here want to start a UK/English speaking WarZ clan?

I for one am getting a bit tired of being ganked by tooled up Bandit groups or being hit on the back of the head with a hammer after trusting some stranger for 30 seconds.

It would be very cool with Teamspeak/VOIP..

Jim

Is it good? I might give it a go - How does it compare to DayZ gameplay-wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    Is it good? I might give it a go - How does it compare to DayZ gameplay-wise?
    I'm gonna put myself in harms way and say that this is actually very similar in every way to DayZ. The engine is probably less ambitious but works. I miss mouse look like crazy but I don't miss the random feeling UI and being able to pick stuff up and manage my inventory is a joy.

The gameplay is VERY close to what I remember. Spawn with nothing, avoid zombies and AVOID other players.

I was expecting a dumbed down DayZ but got a very capable game.

I'm not very impressed with it to be honest. Its very similar to DayZ but it feels very crude in comparison (which is saying a lot). The combat in particular is uninspiring.

There are some nice touches such as body armour but its not really what I was expecting.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    I'm not very impressed with it to be honest. Its very similar to DayZ but it feels very crude in comparison (which is saying a lot). The combat in particular is uninspiring.

There are some nice touches such as body armour but its not really what I was expecting.
    Interesting view.. I'm not sure how the combat can be less inspiring than DayZ. I mean DayZ had a slightly more nuanced ironsight mode and better gun physics/mechanics but the basics are very similar... that combined with the fact that DayZ melee was only added to the ARMA engine a few months ago means I'm not personally convinced on this one.

Considering this (and DayZ) are survival simulators I'm not really judging them on bullet drop and recoil.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I'm in the beta now although to be honest, it does feel like they rushed it out in order to get out in front of the DayZ standalone. I've done a fair bit of running about although now it just seems to be a matter of starving to death.

RPS has a Mumble server, which is quite possibly the best bet as far as VOIP goes. Without the Friends system being implemented in game yet it's a bit hard to sort out groups.

Network Hub
    Hate to bump but Walking Dead has gotten my zombie interest peaking again but i really can't be arsed with Day Z with the stress of dealing with Arma 2. Is WarZ a decent alternative?

yeah, i think so,Interesting view.not sure how the combat can be less inspiring than DayZ.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    It's ... ok. It suffers from the DayZ Mod problem of there being nothing to do once you have a basic level of kit.

Compared to DayZ it definitely feels much less atmospheric but I think that had a lot to do with the weather and general aesthetic of DayZ (the Chernarus map being such an awesome fit for a zombie apocalypse setting, in my opinion).

There's a lot of stuff in WarZ that's not been implemented yet but is being talked about that should make things more interesting. These are all more standard MMO stuff - clans/friends lists, gaining experience and moving up skill trees, and being able to create your own player 'quests' for others to take on (so if someone kills you, put a bounty on their head - that kind of thing. I'm interested to see how that's implemented and how it changes the game up but at the moment it's all well in the future.

There's also a global wipe coming up at the end of November, where all inventories will be cleared out and all character's reputations are reset.

If you were going to pick between the two (if you only had $20 to spend on one zombie-themed game between now and 2013), I'd say wait for DayZ Standalone. The low price point means that you can pretty much go for both and see which one you prefer - although WarZ is in such an unfinished state at the moment a side-by-side comparison is pretty unfair.

Context: am a DayZ mod vet who ran with the RPS lot, and bought into WarZ at the lowest price point so I got access October 31st.