Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I really sorry guys, I've not been home the last couple of days so I'm late with my turn, will try and get it in tonight once I get home!
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura

Just kidding everything is fine, I forgot to move the new file into the folder.
    Last edited by lasikbear; 18-09-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: bein wrong

Network Hub
    Sarigs, can you check your turn file please, it's showing as an empty turn.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've resubmitted, no idea what was wrong!
    Waraura

Network Hub
    It's still showing as not having any orders, the - is missing.

You might need to redo the turn unfortunately.
    Last edited by Jarvis; 24-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Network Hub
    That's worked sarigs.

I'm looking at the Aole fight and while the wolfmen are very gifted anyway I can't help but think the final insult to their abilities is that the werewolf form has morale 19, alot of other nationals would've fled before that point and lost the battle - half my force died there.

Activated Node
    Did the skinshifters take over the world as I predicted?

Network Hub
    In the final stages, I was still chewing on the east shore and shifting focus until recently - as well as doing even more research.

I think it was clear Jarvis had won as of at least an ingame year ago, but I am still summoning things to send at him.

Unfortunately he and Sargis both have access to soul slay so its becoming less and less effective, but Ruthatho might get a chance to come back from Tartarus for a spell before the world is over (depending on if I get a suitable chassis for renaming).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    I think it was clear Jarvis had won as of at least an ingame year ago, but I am still summoning things to send at him.

Unfortunately he and Sargis both have access to soul slay so its becoming less and less effective, but Ruthatho might get a chance to come back from Tartarus for a spell before the world is over (depending on if I get a suitable chassis for renaming).
    Pretty much this, all three of us are or were recently able to access high end content, in my case for the first time so we're trying stuff out.

Massed astral mages spamming soul slay along with some chod guards appear to be a good answer to opponents SC's, I think I've been using 5 or 6 at a time but everyone of those guys needed a 10 gem astral item to get their path up high enough to teleport onto the SC and then use the spells.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah I'm effectively down and out, frankly (and I really don't want to sound whiney here) there's bugger all I can do against Skinshifter and your mages.

They're recruitable any where, cheap for what you get so can and are massed in the hundreds, durable and deadly, backed up by national mages which have exceptionally deadly battle magic.

Chaff? Skinshifter chow.
    Massed infantry? Thunderstrike under the cows come home.
    Massed evocation magic? Need to kill everything. Twice in the time it takes to run across the battle ground.
    Fear magic/slow effects? Thought that plan would work for a while but as soon as the second wolf form is triggered the forum flys back up to 19.
    Even massed ranged weapons (which I don't have access to as Atlantis) which is touted as a counter to midgard still has to kill everything twice, and any intial casualties (i.e. triggering wolf form) actually raises the squads average morale.

Afflication have a change to me healed everytime a unit changes form I believe so evening in battles where you take a beating all of your units have 2 changes to cure afflication (when killed the first time and then at the end of battle when you shift back to man form)

They've overrun every game so far so my question is to the more experienced players, are we just missing a trick? Do they have a weakness which is exploitable? All I can honestly see is getting everyone to try to gank them as early as possible on mass? With easy access to Astral for soulslay/mindhunt for SC and extremely effective battle field mages/troops I don't see it my self!

Just re-read my post and I think it's at risk of coming across as really QQing and I just want to clarify that's really not my intention here, Jarvis has played exceptionally well, co-ordinating remote attacks, massed and spread air drops of elite SAS style mage squads and adapted to any set backs I've managed to deal him with both style and aplomb! Just wondering for my own peace of mind going forward into other games in the future!

Oh and Laris, I've precisely 1 unit that can use Soulslay and that's my Pretender :-P
    Last edited by Sarigs; 27-09-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Waraura

Haha, well he tends to paralyze my SCs for 40+ turns, and even the mighty Qadarrath could only eat 18 soul slays before succumbing.

Really I just needed to have gotten my shit together with boosters so I could get some skullcaps, and I definitely should have used lead shields against Jarvis. Any of my SC's and raiders were capable of killing ~infinity skinshifters, but I never really had enough MR (and I focused to much on getting lightning resist, so he could just switch to soul slay). On the other hand getting hit by arssatarssatus was way worse (thank Saint-Yves for heroic strength) so the vine shield was necessary up north.

Generally I think my major failing was not killing you or Wedge when you were both caught up in wars. I thought I was much closer to getting decent raiders up, but I made some stupid decisions with gems early and held off.

PS. You probably would have won that big fight in the east (buncha shifters vs fishmen and firemages) if you had maybe 2 more mages, most of the shifters were already transformed, they just needed to be hit with another falling fire or two.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah massed fire magic seems to be the only thing that I could muster that would dent him but again the whole two life/increase morale thing was a pain.

I'd only managed to wrest that province from Jarvis a few turns back so I'd only managed to get 3 of them by the time he attack, also there's the whole mindhunt business whittling my mages down.

To be honest I think we would have both been in a better position if we had stopped squabbling over our border a lot earlier, we must have wasted immense amounts of resources and over a year in a border dispute which effectively ended as a wary draw. I think from when the hostilities started the border was exactly where it started gives or two a single province or two!

I do really like mid-age Atlantis but despite getting through to the last three, they really don't have much going for them, beyond being plucky and aquatic. The arssatarssatus are fun and I'd put my money on them versus the skinshifters in a 1 on 1 fight but unfortunately being capital only and holy means in the time I can recruit 7 of them Jarvis can recruit (does the numberS) a metric shedload of skinshifters!

Has definitely been a fun game though, will get my turn in when I get home :-)
    Waraura

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sorry for the double post. Dangerous of posting in between bits of work and being forgetful!
    Waraura

I will squabble unto the last! I really wanted those death gems. I was using the income from that to summon 2 umbrals per turn and still keep a comfortable baseline income for other stuff. Basically everything I wanted in the game used death gems, outside of equipment and GoH/GoR. Ultimately, yeah, it probably doomed us both, but I was hoping to win through attrition as it wasn't costing me that much to keep it going for the first 5-10 turns.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well to be honest I had a long range plan of throwing up Burden of Time and giggling to my self as all of your necromancer and Jarvis' human mages died in their sleep but for a death based nation I have been absolutely robbed of death gems and just haven't been able to afford it.... :-(

The only gems I've had in abundance has been water gems and frankly...meh there's not much you can do with them to make a actually difference on land!
    Waraura

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    Well to be honest I had a long range plan of throwing up Burden of Time and giggling to my self as all of your necromancer and Jarvis' human mages died in their sleep but for a death based nation I have been absolutely robbed of death gems and just haven't been able to afford it.... :-(

The only gems I've had in abundance has been water gems and frankly...meh there's not much you can do with them to make a actually difference on land!
    This actually comes back to a complain I had before about the randomness of sites, this game among other things I've been blessed with abundant air sites granted I had rapid early expansion in which to find said sites but even given that I've been done well on that front.

The large early air gem income is what allowed me to actually to my first remote commander assassinations since to secure the kill on calum's commanders require 3 remote arrows at 4 air gems each spell. Per commander he had leading at any particular time in a province.

That's extremely gem hungry but was worth it on several occasions, If i'd not had that his plans for raiding me would've forced me to permanently have several forces chasing around recapturing the provinces he'd taken and each counter force would have needed to be tougher then his raider groups - given a little extra pressure at that point from the north or the sea and things would've snowballed against me.

(The complaint being that the presence of appropriate gem sites in your territory is a bit too random)

Back to the first game when I was playing man, I think had nulks and I not made a truce and I went after him like I did the monkeys then between the burst recruitment of archers and the wardens to screen them I would've been a strong contender to shut Nulkigan down before he got the mass air shield spell.
    Last edited by Jarvis; 27-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.

I got that spell as early as conceivably possible explcitly because I knew you were a massed archer nation. You'd certainly have won if you'd hit me whilst I was fighting Jotunheim, especially the early stages where I was still uncertain and had a lot of spare carls from early expansion. After that it gets spotty. Remember that the battle that turned your offensive war around wasn't won by skinshifters - it was won by massed summons and battle conjuration.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    I got that spell as early as conceivably possible explcitly because I knew you were a massed archer nation. You'd certainly have won if you'd hit me whilst I was fighting Jotunheim, especially the early stages where I was still uncertain and had a lot of spare carls from early expansion. After that it gets spotty. Remember that the battle that turned your offensive war around wasn't won by skinshifters - it was won by massed summons and battle conjuration.
    By that point It didn't really matter what you threw at me, it was going to win I was far too focused warding against r'yleh and unable to change track because I could neither divert resources elsewhere nor actually take any water provinces.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Mwahahahahaha flee before my God wolfies! Omega Henge will squish you! For the moment!
    Waraura