Let's talk about Wooden Sen'SeY

Hi there !

Let's introduce ourselves : we're the Upper Byte team.
    We're indie devs (a programmer, a graphist and a coffee machine)
    We've been working for more than a year on our brand new indie game.

So the game is called Wooden Sen'SeY, it will be available on PC and Mac this summer on digital distribution platforms.

It's an action/platform game for PC and Mac, set in a colorful and offbeat Japanese universe, "Japan Steam Rock" scheduled for release in summer 2012.

You follow Goro, a village chief, as he seeks revenge through a variety of levels.

The game has 9 levels with bosses that Goro has to overcome using his axes.

WoodenSenSeY_02.jpgWoodenSenSeY_06.jpgWoodenSenSeY_20.jpgWoodenSenSeY_09.jpg

Here is the game trailer :

In summary:

• Several ways to take the way of the Sensei: dive in or play with finesse!
    • A unique "Japan Steam Rock" universe with punch and tons of humor
    • Several different types of atmosphere and gameplay
    • An original graphic style, an exclusive OST
    • "Dev-Time" challenge for each level: beat the developers' time
    • Localized in 5 languages: French, English, Spanish, Italian, German

Don't hesitate to ask questions, post opinions... We'll answer as soon as possible

For more information :
    - game's page : http://www.upperbyte.com/en/wooden_sensey
    - follow us on Twitter : https://twitter.com/#!/UpperByteen
    - follow us on FB : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Upper...08131589219029

The Upper Byte Team
    Last edited by Upper Byte; 24-04-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: adding pics and vid

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Bad pr. No pics, no short paragraph on what the game is about, either mechanics, genre or theme. Not opening the links, I am too lazy, and you should think the same of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Bad pr. No pics, no short paragraph on what the game is about, either mechanics, genre or theme. Not opening the links, I am too lazy, and you should think the same of everyone else.
    Sorry about that, it's fixed ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Upper Byte View Post
    Sorry about that, it's fixed ;)
    You are welcome. The game doesn't look bad to be honest :)

Network Hub
    It looks like a fun game. I love the art style that you've gone with too.

Surprised that MS, Sony or Nintendo haven't snapped you up tbh. Nintendo especially. This would look great on the 3DS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was sold when you said that you got to be Goro

Not my cup-of-tea in terms of gameplay but have to say the art style is lovely.

Thank you for your comments everybody ! Hope you'll like our game ;)

About MS, Sony and big N, no contact from them... for the moment :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Oh wow, that art-style is indeed absolutely gorgeous.

"9 levels" has me curious - what is the dev-time for each level? Meaning, how long would it take to play through once?
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Hi Vexing Vision !
    We still are tweaking the game so we can't announce playtimes yet...
    Don't worry, we've been playing the game for more than a year, so we will not be easy to challenge ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I admit, I was more curious about the average level-size. Are we talking about 5 to 10 minutes (Mario-size) levels? 30 minute worlds? 1 hour monstrosities of fiendish cunning and despair?
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

This will be 30 minutes per world, roughly speaking. It all depends on the way you're playing the game : "dive in or play with finesse".

Hi everyone!

We have some big news: we now have a release date!
    The game will be out on August 24th, on Desura for $9.99!
    http://blog.en.upperbyte.com/2012/08...ease-date.html

In addition to the solo adventure and time attack, we integrated an achievement system for those who like to finish their game at 250%. So we'll be sure you hydrate yourself drinking SeY!

Another great news: a demo version of Wooden Sen'SeY will be available on release date, so you can try the game for yourself.

In June we were honored to be part of the Selected Projects for Game Connection Asia 2012 in Shanghai, and Wooden Sen'SeY won the advisory board special price during the event!
    More infos about this on our blog:http://blog.en.upperbyte.com/2012/07...rom-china.html

One other important thing, do you remember George? Our coffee machine? Well he's trying to become an artist, he takes pictures in the studio, and posts them on Twitter...
    The interesting part of this is that he hides Easter Eggs in them. So if your eyes are good enough, you'll be able to know stuff even before the news is out!
    If you want to follow this trendy coffee pot:https://twitter.com/UB_Coffee_pot

That's all for now. We'll get back to you as soon as we have more fresh news!

The Upper Byte team

I will definitely give your demo a spin. You have an absolutely wonderful art style.

It has a grapple and a bathysphere? Now that's interesting. I'm not sure if we really need another 2D platformer, but I'm open to surprises.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    It has a silhouette level? Silhouette is the new retro pixel style for indie 2d platformers!

Hey everybody !

Shooop : thank you a lot ;) Demo will be available on August the 24th, but only on desura so be sure to have an account, it's free and quick to create.

LTK : That's a question asked by many people ! The underwater level is... a level :p So you'll be playing in the bathysphere for around 20 or 40 minutes depending on how much you'll die doing the level (it's a long, skill-requiring level, with ennemies that you have to kill with finesse using... torpedoes !!! )

icupnimpn2 : Yes :) Silhouette level ! We're glad to know how trendy we are :D