Ludum Dare 23 - my competition entry "Tiny Galaxy"

Hi guys.

The 48 hour solo gamedev competition 23rd Ludum Dare ended 15 hours ago, and I thought I'd proffer my submission for you to take a gander at. It's called "Tiny Galaxy" and you have a boring tiny world that you can drive next to other tiny worlds in search of six hidden artifacts.

I'm fairly proud as there is an actual game in there and some quite nice platforming and puzzle solving. It may seem a bit harsh to restart you after every death but that wasn't a design decision - it was a "running out of time" decision. I reckon it's quite quick to get back to where you died once you know what you're doing.

Please have a try, and I'm interested on feedback and if any of you complete the game with all 6 artifacts.

exe_client-2012-04-23-00-59-32-65_small.jpg
    Last edited by Robert Swan; 23-04-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Obscure Node
    This is a pretty awesome game. Definitely among my favorites of the entries I've played.

SPOILERS & SO FORTH:

I've been able to get the following items:

- Axe
    - High-jump
    - Ice shield
    - the item that lets you break rocks
    - Heat shield
    - Teleporter

as well as three of the artifacts (the prison one, the one on bottom of the home planet, and one on the asteroids requiring a teleport.)

So, what I'm stuck on:

- I feel like I'd need a higher jump to do anything in the Rot World.
    - I know there's an item on top of the Nuclear Waste World, but I have no idea how to get up there... I thought the red pads were boost pads, not insta-kill pads!

Any hints? What should I be doing next?

Also, a bug: You can teleport without the teleporter item.

After getting the Teleporter head over to Asteroids #5 but it's quite easy to trap yourself if you don't approach it from the right direction.

I've found all the tools and I know where five of the artefacts are but fell into space trying to get that one. I guess I've seen enough, it's a cute little game.

Quote Originally Posted by LSK View Post
    Any hints? What should I be doing next?
    Also, a bug: You can teleport without the teleporter item.

Very useful feedback, thanks. I'm just uploading a new version (alongside rather than replacing the old one in case it breaks competition rules) that fixes the "can always teleport" bug. Very silly of me to not notice that one! You also managed to get that asteroid teleport artifact early, so I've changed the puzzle slightly... I've also renamed one of the grassy worlds to "Tiny Prison World" as it's a better name. The direct link to the newer version is here:

Version 01

I just had a fastish playthrough and took just under 4 minutes to complete. Still not a bad amount of content in my eyes :)

I absolutely loved this! Genuinely, one of the best Ludum's i've played [next to Liquorish's incredible multiplayer ice fight]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

I've also just uploaded a "cheat sheet" in case you get really stuck with one of the items or artifacts.

Activated Node
    It's really a lovely artstyle ! i'm constantly trapping myself in the pyramid world, and don't really see waht is meant by "jump pads" in cheat sheet.
    anyway i'm sort of... thinking about making some music for this... something electro and dreamy and a little creepy... eventually ? :)

Sweet game Rob. Very good for Lundum Dare.

Got all the objects and 5/6 artefacts without cheating. I had to use the cheat sheet to find artefact #2. I didn't realise I could get to that side of that world, I thought I was already at the edge of the galaxy. :P