Hey guys, my first time of posting on RPS yet I've been a long time reader, and I'm afraid I'm asking for help. I'm a seventeen year old college student with a part time job, and look to be heading off to University soon, which sadly also means a severe deficit of money. The problem is that my current PC is starting to show it's age (Specs posted at the bottom of the thread), and within a year or two may grind any chance of playing modern games to a halt. So I have several choices:
  1. Suck it and stick with my current PC. I can continue playing games until it becomes obsolete, and maybe then turn to working through GOGs library, as well as the occasional indie game.
  2. A hiatus from PC gaming. I own a PS Vita, and could simply give up PC gaming until after Uni and make my Vita my primary platform. But it is only a handheld and Sony is seemingly going down the shitter, making this a undesirable option.
  3. (The reason I posted this on the tech section) Could someone suggest a really budget build that whilst not needing to be too powerful, could hopefully have an open upgrade path, allowing me to buy bits along the way. I'd be fine without a dedicated GPU, I could in fact use my current one until I have the money to buy a new one, as long as it has a decent CPU.
So those are my choices, and I would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks, Tom.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 235e
GPU: ATI Radeon 4890
RAM: 4GB 1066 Mhz DDR 2 Kingston HyperX