Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Ground Branch - From one of the maker of OGR and original R6 games!

So here's first gameplay video footage,it shows quite few stuff now (Game is in making already from 2009). They're going on kickstar,trailer bellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XjyIyBGljdY

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    This thing's been in development so long I don't know if I can pledge when it starts. I bought a t-shirt from BFS something like five years ago, before the game even had a name. I'll be waiting for reviews on this one before putting more money down.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 25-04-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: *five years, derp
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Its kinda funny that people pledged money for Tactical Takedown or what ever was that scam called,from the creator of HALO.. When he put stolen concept art up lol..nuff said.

I'm looking forward to their KS project too. The gameplay video gives off America's Army vibes.

Activated Node
    There already is a recent thread about Ground Branch, which is located here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ckFoot-Studios :) Maybe a mod can merge both threads?

This thing's been in development so long I don't know if I can pledge when it starts.
    I hear these comments more around the net. I don't believe people understand that GB hasn't actually been in development for 5 years. It was announced in 2007 when they didn't even had prototypes. And, as you might guess, they have not been able to work with a full team on the game since it's first announcement, but had to take other work in order to pay the bills. Quote from John Sonedecker himself for some extra background information :)

BFS was founded to be a contract for hire group in 2004 and have consistently done work for hire projects ever since. Sometimes it was just myself and other times there were others on board. Both games and military simulations. The last one being a 1.5 year stint with Tripwire on the latest Red Orchestra as well as some training stuff with the JFK Special Warfare Center and School at Ft. Bragg. I started Ground Branch in 2007 as an idea, a few renders and a set of design documents and set out to get it funded. I spent over a year and countless dollars trying to convince publishers to fund it with no success. I then spent another year trying to find a private investor with the same outcome. We started the forums and "announced" the game because we wanted to be a little different and provide insights to the community. This kind of worked against us a bit with some publishers actually. But that is how I wanted things to go.

During this time a small group of us were developing prototypes of features and making some art. We would share things that we could along the way. At all times though, everyone involved had other paying commitments whether they be jobs or contracts. So actual work on GB would go in spurts. We had times where 2 months would go by with no real work being done. Then have 2 solid weeks. This makes development very tough. To shorten the story, people had to leave the project and take on full time jobs to pay the bills or could no longer commit. I would be able to pay for help when I could and found a programmer that ended up taking those prototypes and building them into solid feature foundations. That was sporadic as well as I had to refill my savings to pay for the work. Along the way I learned UnrealScript so I to could help out on some basic things so that the project would not die.

So here we are today. We have a very solid foundation to work from, some good looking in game art and a working demonstrable game framework to build from. A lot of content needs to be made and features need to be finished and/or polished. A few secondary design ideas need to be implemented, but all pre-production is completed. Was the journey long? Hell yes, but it was also very non-typical with many starts and stop along the way. Self funding for an average guy like me is extremely tough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoog View Post
    I hear these comments more around the net. I don't believe people understand that GB hasn't actually been in development for 5 years. It was announced in 2007 when they didn't even had prototypes.
    Ok, sure, but seeing as how I was excited back in 2007 it's kinda hard to maintain that now. I'll check it out when it is released, but the glow faded long ago. Maybe it will be NORGariffic and I'll love it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Ok, sure, but seeing as how I was excited back in 2007 it's kinda hard to maintain that now. I'll check it out when it is released, but the glow faded long ago. Maybe it will be NORGariffic and I'll love it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Yes, I can fully understand :)

At least have a thorough look at the KS page once it's up, and make a decision based on what you see. They still have the same ideas and vision as in 2007 and the background/experience to pull it off. It just comes down to finances.

I think anyone who has a slight interest in the "classic" tactical shooter genre owes it to himself to at least take 30 minutes and read up on everything (the GB Q&A with lots of info and the KS page once it's up). And just make an informed decision based on current knowledge, where they are now and what they will need to finalize this project. If you like what you see consider making a pledge, if you don't like what you see, don't make a pledge. Simple as that. Even if they announced the game too early and created frustration or grudge by doing it, I think they at least deserve a fresh evaluation of the facts once KS page goes up.

Banned
    Loved OGR. All it needed was a better squad command interface. Mission design could use some work too but otherwise it was great. Can't wait.

O shit didn't noticed it,i immideatly went and made thread after i got mail from BlackFootStudios :D MODS MERGE THESE TWO THREADS!! Pretty please <3