Mid price gaming laptop

My desktop's hard drive died this morning leaving me computerless aside from this knackered old laptop. I was going to be upgrading soon anyway but I will need to move things forward. A laptop would be the most sensible option and I would be looking for something midpriced but that will be reasonably futureproof. Ideally I would also like something fairly robust as it will be going to Afghanistan next year.

Any recommendations?

My gaming laptop is starting to die on me, two years and some months after I bought it, so I'm not sure I can recommend one (I know this happened to other people as well). Would love to hear other people's views on a gaming laptop as well, though.
    Last edited by Labbes; 25-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Any laptop with a dedicated graphics chip should be fine. I have a Toshiba with an AMD/ATI 5450 and it runs everything fine. Looks for laptops with Mobility Radeon GFX chips.

Whaterver one you go for, get yourself a really good hardshell case for it if you're taking it out to Afghanistan.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How much movement is the laptop going to see? That's the biggest question to ask really.

I have no idea what is considered a mid price laptop but I got this in December:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/p...NP700Z5A-S01UK

Seems very nice although not used it in a few months as I only use it when I'm away from home. It played SWTOR fine over Christmas

Edit: I should add that I think I paid 1000 for it

Any icore processor would do! But you also need to check the graphics of the laptop you need to buy. I've been having a lot of trouble contemplating against laptop or pc. I've been playing games with my PC eversince and I like the way it performs since most parts of it are replaceable like the graphics card.

Last edited by milesroces; 13-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Obscure Node
    Carrying my Acer Aspire 5750g all over the country and it handles it fine. It's also a good gaming laptop for it's price. (999 euro 9 months ago, so probaply around 899 now)

Network Hub
    Laptops based on AMD's Trinity APU will be launching tomorrow, and will all feature integrated graphics equally as powerful as the Laptop Timofee mentioned, and much faster than the likes of the Mobility 5450m.

Network Hub
    so i noticed the majority of you lot ignored the whole Afghanistan part.

regarding that, I really would bother with a laptop. Theres a lot of sand and dirt in that there country, and it will work its way into every open vent and join in the casing, even if you are carefull.

It might be worth going as cheap as possible. I got the GF a laptop at Festive Winter Gift Giving Festival last year and it has really surprised me.

this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavi...84755-pdt.html

is pretty much what she has. I have played MS Flight and Viva Pinata (i know i know) and Viva Pinata particularly is pretty demanding and it runs smooth at near enough maximum settings at native resolution.

Without knowing exactly what kind of games you want to play (my suggested wont play BF3, i guess) thats the best I can give you.

The ASUS gaming republic rage are pretty robust with great ventilation, problem is new they'll be way outside your mid priced range, as they're usually found for over 1k a pop. However if you're in the US you can get them refurbished for much, much cheeper, I've forgotten where from because it's been years since I looked, but might be worth looking around. The specs are insane for a laptop though (they really are gaming laptops). Other than that just look for something with a dedicated GPU, dual core CPU, 4GB of RAM and a very high quality case with plenty of ventilation. Nothing comes to mind on that score but I'm sure there's something out there.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    so i noticed the majority of you lot ignored the whole Afghanistan part.

regarding that, I really would bother with a laptop. Theres a lot of sand and dirt in that there country, and it will work its way into every open vent and join in the casing, even if you are carefull.
    I think the sand and dirt part will be a problem for all gaming laptops. I don't personally have one but all the ones that I have seen have big vents and require large amounts of air cooling with the fans in order to cool down the laptop.

Ventilation is guna be a problem with any laptop that can actually play games, whether is marketed as a gaming laptop or not, with that kind of hardware it's going to have prominent vents and cooling issues (some come with them, some develop them, it's about how you treat them that counts) and sand and dust is going to gather. What ever you go for you'll be having to take the back off every week or so to clean it out. I personally just gently go over it with a hoover and concentrate on making sure the fans are clear of dust and crap.

I'd concentrate less on the vent issue which is just going to be an issue and more on build quality. E.g. I have a Toshiba Qosmio X500, lovely machine hardware wise, but with the cheep plastic and thin monitor it'd be toast in that kind of environment.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.