Boosting resolution past your monitors max

I'm currently trying to play Crusader Kings on my netbook. Unfortunately my maximum resolution is below the minimum for the game and it refuses to start up.

My resolution is 1280x720 and the minimum resolution is 1024x768. So I'm being prevented from running it for the sake of 48 rows of pixels, or about a 2 mm of screen real estate.

I have heard about emulating higher resolutions so that the extra pixels are essentially rendered off screen and Civ 4 even seems to do this automatically with certain mods. Or is there a consistent way of running games in windows that are larger than the screen?

Are there any work arounds or programs that allow you to do this?
    Last edited by Bhazor; 24-04-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Have you tried playing in windowed mode?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

As far as I can see theres no way to set it to windowed mode outside the game (the settings file is an .eu which nothing I have can read) and the game crashes before it reaches the main menu. The Alt-Enter trick doesn't work either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    As far as I can see theres no way to set it to windowed mode outside the game (the settings file is an .eu which nothing I have can read) and the game crashes before it reaches the main menu. The Alt-Enter trick doesn't work either.
    Have you tried opening it with notepad? I think CK2 and Sengoku use a new engine, but the older Paradox games all let you set custom resolutions and windowed mode out of game.

Obscure Node
    I'm gonna guess you've got an Intel IGP? If so, try googling for a registry hack that allows you to make use higher resolutions, even if your screen doesn't support, I did it with my old netbook so I could use apps in the Windows 8 Dev Preview. Strangely my new one comes with these resolutions as options per standard. It will mess up the aspect ratio though.