Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

One post requirement for starting threads

If it is possible to set this, it would halt a lot of the current influx of spam before it starts.

A few of the bots are clever enough to post in existing threads, but much of the spam here are by bots who register then post.

If users were unable to start threads without having at least posted once, these bots would be stopped.

Few non-bots post threads without having posted beforehand, and even for those that do it's hardly much of an inconvenience that they post in reply somewhere else too...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I think you underestimate their ability to adapt. The result would just be more spam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    What we really need is something like personal account approval like they have at NEOGAF. Time consuming, but it would stop the spammers.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

I have to agree, it's getting ridiculous with the spam threads. A few weeks ago I didn't really mind since their occurrence was sparse and the spam was flagged quite easily but now it has become really distracting. Please do something about it, Hivemind.
    Forum janitor in training.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    What we really need is something like personal account approval like they have at NEOGAF. Time consuming, but it would stop the spammers.
    That's also the only solution I can think of, though I don't know how feasible it is... how many new forum accounts are created every day? The current system to keep spammers away is obviously insufficient, for example at the moment 6 of the 20 threads on the first page of the PC Gaming Discussion subforum a from spambots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I think you underestimate their ability to adapt. The result would just be more spam.
    Resistance if futile. You will buy their discount jeans. Your economic savings will be added to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    That's also the only solution I can think of, though I don't know how feasible it is... how many new forum accounts are created every day? The current system to keep spammers away is obviously insufficient, for example at the moment 6 of the 20 threads on the first page of the PC Gaming Discussion subforum a from spambots.
    I wouldn't of thought it was that many, and certainly not to the extent of NEOGAF. Let's face it if someone's called 'Poseidon fish' and their email is Poseidonfish@gmail.comthen it's likely they're a real person. But if it's cet123 and wrettyyu@ymail.com then probably a bot.

Alternatively it might be time to appoint a couple of pro-active moderators from the community, who can at least move spam threads to a hidden sub forum for Jim etc to peruse delete at their leisure. No fancy powers or titles to get uppity with, just the ability to move posts and suspend accounts.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    The answer to that is to give approved users the ability to approve individual threads (but not accounts) themselves (á la Kotaku). Have an "x unapproved threads" link at the top of each page, which takes you to the forum "spam folder", and if one person approves it, it goes through (but says who approved it, so we know upon whom to heap scorn if they approve spam), whereas if, say, three to five people disapprove it, it gets removed from the list.

Likewise, unapproved accounts that post messages in threads could have those messages deleted if enough (approved) people flag it (I'd say a good rule of thumb is that 'enough' should be related to their post count, maybe half, so deleting a post of someone who has ten posts would need five flags, of someone who has four posts would need two flags, and of someone who has 100 posts will need 50 flags which will never happen but they should be effectively approved by that point anyway).

This makes it ok if they take a while to get round to approving people, and implements some moderation without specifically giving people scary mod powers with all the megalomania that entails.

But I don't know that it's possible on vBulletin.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Alternatively it might be time to appoint a couple of pro-active moderators from the community, who can at least move spam threads to a hidden sub forum for Jim etc to peruse delete at their leisure. No fancy powers or titles to get uppity with, just the ability to move posts and suspend accounts.
    I'd love to help out with pruning duties.
    steam

Would a delay between registration and the ability to post be effective? It would require the spammer to return to the site on two separate occasions, maintaining and recalling the account registration info. Fark does something like this. (I only tried to post there once, I swear!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Fark does something like this. (I only tried to post there once, I swear!).
    I read this and got confused thinking Fark was a south american rebel group, but a cursory google seems to indicate that is Farc.

Also I'd second the idea of some of the long standing RPSers with lots of time on their hands (I'm looking at you lazy lazy students, whoever you are) being made mods.

more mods, the ones you can trust. And they only have the authority to delete spam. I vote me. I report them hourly anyway, and I maintain the server list anyhow, so Im not about to go OMG KICKBAN on your ass.

I also vote kad.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I vote cet123 as a mod, he seems like a legitimate guy.

I am generally opposed to mods as, like other positions of power, they invariably tend to attract pathological personalities, however it would seem difficult for mods empowered solely to remove spam to abuse their power without it being very obvious.

They could be marked for deletion, and not show up to the regular public, and the "real" mods just have to approve.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

ok, this is getting silly. I cant even report faster than a minute, though its clear where they are.

I promise not to delete anything nonspamrelated. PLEASE LET ME KILL THEM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by quantacat View Post
    i promise not to delete anything nonspamrelated. Please let me kill them.
    with fire!!!

Probable Replicant

or to quote something most will recognise:

I KILL THEM, WITH DEATH!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

They are piling up, fast. I'm sure one of the officials has noticed already. If not, who would be the go-to-guy for these issues?
    Forum janitor in training.

Ill check perpetuum if jim is online.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications