Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The spam controls still need a bit of tuning, but there is significantly less than there was two weeks ago. We should have it under control shortly.

Make sure you do report spam if you see it, that makes it much easier to clear up promptly.

thanks. it was just annoying to have to report so much spam, but I had to wait 60s to do it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Once I registered for NEOGAF, because otherwise I couldn't click on someone's profile. Then literally four months went by and I got my approval email. I have never returned.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Once I registered for NEOGAF, because otherwise I couldn't click on someone's profile. Then literally four months went by and I got my approval email. I have never returned.
    I pretty sure turnaround would be a lot faster on RPS. Also the spam posting is turning into a bit of a Joke. Whatever the present method is, it quite clearly isn't working.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Seriously, about 95% of the current spam topics are made by people who haven't previously made a post. How about you give this 'one post requirement' a try to see if it works out? The situation as it is now honestly can't get any worse, so it's worth a try.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But they will probably spam in proper threads if you stick a limit on thread creation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Well, it's just getting out of hand now. I'm on a few different forums, and there's nothing like this level of spam going on elsewhere. It's getting absurd now (although the spammer on spammer action is occasionally amusing).
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I'm on a few different forums, and there's nothing like this level of spam going on elsewhere.
    This forum failed its saving throw vs bots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    It's getting absurd now (although the spammer on spammer action is occasionally amusing).
    No kidding, I've never seen this before. Why is RPS such a target for this stuff?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    The spam controls still need a bit of tuning, but there is significantly less than there was two weeks ago. We should have it under control shortly.

Make sure you do report spam if you see it, that makes it much easier to clear up promptly.
    Would it be possible to make it impossible for a thread title to contain any of these words?: Free, Tv, Live and Stream
    As it seems that all of those threads use one or more of those words.

This may seem really inane compared to the other possible helpful steps proposed here, but could we please have a "report" button at the top of a post, or maybe even one that can be clicked without having to open the thread if the thread is one post long?

I just went to report a spam post that was far longer than normal posts, or spam posts I've seen before the recent onset, and it's a pain to have to scroll down when you know it's all spam.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way of telling when something's already been reported. I suspect the majority of spam threads have been tagged by someone already, but they don't look any different from every other thread / post. A "reported" tag would be nice, so that the people who are trying to help police this can spot the ones that need to be done, and so that whoever has to look through the reports only has one report per post.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

I've been reporting the threads I come upon, but I haven't been going out of my way to search for it. For what it's worth Pertusaria, the Pg Dn and End keys might save you a little effort.

Judging by the post subjects, apparently the bots think that all we do is stream television.

Yes, sorry, as I said, probably inane. Also probably past my bedtime.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Eh, no need to apologize, just trying to help out. Also, how did that one thread in Other Stuff get over 9000 views? Did we all report it? If so, I sure hope only one report per incident gets sent to the mods.

EDIT: I realized after posting what I had just done. Sorry Internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    Eh, no need to apologize, just trying to help out. Also, how did that one thread in Other Stuff get over 9000 views? Did we all report it? If so, I sure hope only one report per incident gets sent to the mods.

EDIT: I realized after posting what I had just done. Sorry Internet.
    Something strange is going on. If you have a look at the people browsing the forum, 50% of the guests seem to be browsing the spam threads. I'm guessing this is additional bot behaviour to... do something. Likely increase the popularity of said threads.

That seems like a reasonable explanation Wizadry. What I'm confused about is what they hope to accomplish. Does ANYONE ever click those links? Then again, spam has always confused me. It's ridiculously obvious and one might think you'd need to be a fool to click through, yet it must make money or people would stop doing it. I can see email spam working, as that will end up in the inboxes of people who may be unfamiliar with the concept, but on a forum dedicated to PC gaming? I like to think we're all savvy enough to resist the temptation to STREAM ALL THAT AWESOME TELEVISION.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Something strange is going on. If you have a look at the people browsing the forum, 50% of the guests seem to be browsing the spam threads. I'm guessing this is additional bot behaviour to... do something. Likely increase the popularity of said threads.
    Almost 7,000 people viewing the off topic forum is a bit odd. And as nobody seems to be entering the threads then what's the point? That thread with 9000+ views is even stranger. There's no way that someone clicking on those threads could register something on another site is there?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    This is getting bad now, I wonder what the user/bot ratio is. 600 or so people in of topic seems crazy.

Help! It all over my face!